You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
YouSatInGum

Poster child game of why there should be a skill gap check

121 comments in this topic

Members
1,051 posts
9,845 battles

8%+ account WR difference is nuts.  At 4% it becomes a 100% WR for the higher team.  This is like 5 std. deviations and shouldn't happen.

cBBwKcy.png

• Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 4

[INTEL]
Members
13,072 posts
36,072 battles

Ha, there's a threefold difference in PR between the CVs.

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,694 posts
18,577 battles

%8 difference in WR is within standard... That is %90 percentile of the WOWS population for all server regions...

• Thanks 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
41 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Ha, there's a threefold difference in PR between the CVs.

The extreme difference between the two CV's is probably the biggest factor because there only being one per team.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Cool 3
  • Meh 1

Members
1,051 posts
9,845 battles
35 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

%8 difference in WR is within standard... That is %90 percentile of the WOWS population for all server regions...

You are being sarcastic, right?

Sorry, my sarcasm detector is in the shop right now.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

I've seen a 45 beat a 60 before.  Probably super rare but it can happen and therefore WG will use that sort of information to maintain their theory that skill based matchmaking would be useless.

• Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
10,694 posts
18,577 battles
37 minutes ago, YouSatInGum said:

You are being sarcastic, right?

Sorry, my sarcasm detector is in the shop right now.

Nope... An %8 pts difference in WR in a match is the norm because of  the available population in queue...

A difference of %10 is not only normal (or not as uncommon "nuts" as you claim)... Its expected based on the numbers courtesy of Maplesyrup web site...

Now if you start seeing a %15 or over percentage difference... Then you can say this match is messed up... Until then

Its normal, no big deal.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

Members
97 posts
71 battles

To me this post reads as:

blah blah blah Hide your stats, otherwise someone will find a way to prove you are too good, or too meh.

Edited by Pebcac
  • Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
10 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

I've seen a 45 beat a 60 before.  Probably super rare but it can happen and therefore WG will use that sort of information to maintain their theory that skill based matchmaking would be useless.

Depends on the 45% player as back when the MM had turned against me for a few weeks early on and left me with a 45% WR I was able to to beat 60%+ players once my teams stopped being the ones that all melted away on me within 5 minutes and I then proceeded to claw my way back up towards close to 50% overall WR.

I would saw though that in Warships you should have 47%-48% range be considered about 50% in Tanks because of the fact you get larger Warships teams and far more wild RNG that can play havoc with your WR. In Tanks at least you can dig into good sniper points, have good frontal armor,  and if your aim is precise you can pick off enemy tank after enemy tank. Warships also has the matter of pretty much any time you use your guns your in essence sending up a flare to mark your position.

The best judge of a player of WG would to have Ranked 1 vs 1 periodically and have those stats be what a player is judged by because it would fall ultimately onto their skills as a player with MM and their teams being able to be ruled out.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
3 hours ago, YouSatInGum said:

8%+ account WR difference is nuts.  At 4% it becomes a 100% WR for the higher team.  This is like 5 std. deviations and shouldn't happen.

cBBwKcy.png

Gee, I wonder how that match turned out...

Forgive me for thinking this is Photoshopped.

I've long since stopped using MM monitors because what I was seeing was depressing, but I've never seen it this bad.

• Thanks 1

[MHG]
Members
229 posts
16,919 battles

Agree with @YouSatInGum here. Sure there are a couple of red DDs with purple stats here that are not really unicum, but you cannot deny the carry potential of the remaining super unicums. Hell, there is no one who can even match the non-unicum red players on the green team. If you have a replay, please attach it here. Will be useful to show the naysayers how the green team was picked apart like little kids in a pro MMA match. Unicums make mistakes too, but when you are that loaded, it can be unfun for the team that is being clubbed.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,168 posts
14,340 battles

Why do you think the Japanese won Tsushima and Savo Island? Because at the time, man for man and ship for ship, they had the best damn navy in the world.

The skill gap is historical.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 2

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,527 battles
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Why do you think the Japanese won Tsushima and Savo Island? Because at the time, man for man and ship for ship, they had the best damn navy in the world.

:cap_look:

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,527 battles

We all started as "newbies" at one time or another.

Even "noobs" can "git gud" with enough time and effort.

Matchmaking based upon win rates is bollux, in my opinion.  People need to get exposure to better players in order to sharpen their skills and level-up their game.

I enjoyed the heck out of the 1 vs. 1 Ranked battles in 2019.  :-)

• Cool 1

[D-PN]
Members
621 posts
4,122 battles

So having this info before a match does...what, exactly? Does it make you a better player? Does it teach you the skills you need to succeed at the game? 

Or does it make your mind up for you about a match, thus affecting how you play?

Because that's what seems to happen most often: people will decide the game is lost before it is even played. It is why using them makes absolutely no sense to me. They are just more fodder for complainers.

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 3

Members
1,358 posts
1,286 battles
1 minute ago, MajorEnglush said:

So having this info before a match does...what, exactly? Does it make you a better player? Does it teach you the skills you need to succeed at the game? 

Or does it make your mind up for you about a match, thus affecting how you play?

Because that's what seems to happen most often: people will decide the game is lost before it is even played. It is why using them makes absolutely no sense to me. They are just more fodder for complainers.

It's useful for determining where you want to position or push. Do I want to sail in the direction with the most reliable teammates or the ones that will collapse?

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Meh 4

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
4 hours ago, Pebcac said:

To me this post reads as:

blah blah blah Hide your stats, otherwise someone will find a way to prove you are too good, or too meh.

Even that doesn't work. If you hide your stats, people just treat you like they are 30% when they look you up. I'd rather be judged based on fact rather than speculation.

90% of why my sig includes mine. Remaining 10% is pride in going from 45% WR to this.

[KJHWK]
Banned
122 posts
35 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They weren't "the best damn navy in the world" in 1905, that would be the Royal Navy, they were just better than the Russians on that day.  Reverse and sail the IJN around the world to encounter the Russians waiting for them near Riga.  Now its a great Russian Victory.

• Cool 1

[-VT-]
Members
709 posts
32,872 battles
7 hours ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

win rate is not a determining factor in how skilled a player is.

i can easily look at the purple players on the enemy team and see they have high win rates but very low average damage which indicates they just play in a div alot which is alot easier to manipulate high win rates.

And....

Damage is not an indicator of skill either.  You can have very skilled CV and DD players who might not do a great deal of damage but they consistently help their team win.

Also, there are a TON of BB players with high damage numbers...who flat stink.  Their whole skill set involves charging in, brawling and dying.  Damage numbers are super.  Their teams' win rates?  Pfffft.

And, yes, folks who play in a division most of the time always have inflated numbers so it is hard to tell their skill level.

• Cool 1

[TMS]
Members
3,351 posts
3 hours ago, USS_Taylor_Swift said:

It's useful for determining where you want to position or push. Do I want to sail in the direction with the most reliable teammates or the ones that will collapse?

+1

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Are you referring to the 1905 battle at  Tsushima where a modern Japanese naval force defeated the Russian Navy? Most of the Russian ships were more or less obsolete and poorly maintained. Russia was far from a naval power & it wasn't until after WW2 that would changed.  Not much support there.

Considering the IJN was never able to achieve their strategic goals and Allied naval forces were successful in winning the Guadalcanal  Canal campaign it is difficult to to believe the IJN was the best.

But you're welcome to your opinion.

• Cool 1