You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Redwing6

So...How many people are disapointed at buying the US BB California, BEFORE reading/seeing reviews of the ship?

21 comments in this topic

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,307 posts

The title says it all. How many are disappointed about buying this turd of a premium ship before seeing/reading reviews of it?

• Haha 3
  • Boring 2

[TBW]
Members
10,292 posts
17,487 battles

I have never felt bad about buying a ship, sometimes I feel glad that I didn't though. I might get some ships at Xmas in crates this year.

[RANGR]
Members
314 posts
4,003 battles

Not every ship needs to be a big meta breaker, especially USA ships, in which they have the most ships in the game...

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,445 posts
14,165 battles
2 minutes ago, Raven2303 said:

Not every ship needs to be a big meta breaker, especially USA ships, in which they have the most ships in the game...

This, it is a bog standard US standard BB and she isn't turd just sometimes hard to play.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 1

Alpha Tester
6,440 posts
3,250 battles
1 hour ago, Redwing6 said:

The title says it all. How many are disappointed about buying this turd of a premium ship before seeing/reading reviews of it?

That's why you always read the Yelp reviews beforehand.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,074 posts
8,667 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

This, it is a bog standard US standard BB and she isn't turd just sometimes hard to play.

Does not mean she shouldn't receive some help to make her more enjoyable.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,747 battles

When you hear 2 cc's tell you armour is squishy....

AND WG touts the rebuild that took 2 years....

I'd expect Bismark levels of armor, not St. LOUIS...

When cc's say AA isn't good enough to stop planes striking you....

When she is slower than Colorado.....

Dude I'm from California,  I desperately want to buy this ship....

But I'm gonna pass and just wait for split....

Why pay for pain when you can grind it for free....

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,445 posts
14,165 battles
29 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Does not mean she shouldn't receive some help to make her more enjoyable.

Premiums used to be better, some times much better than the tech tree ships. This lead to short lives in the premium shop as people raced to get the new flavor of the month. Just like the PEF she is a good ship but not over powered. I would rather have premiums with some room for buffs down the road than still being overpowered years later. Gremyashchy anyone and the Imperator Nikolai other than having crap for AA is still overpowered as heck even with power creep.

[-TKS-]
Members
1,074 posts
8,667 battles
11 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Premiums used to be better, some times much better than the tech tree ships. This lead to short lives in the premium shop as people raced to get the new flavor of the month. Just like the PEF she is a good ship but not over powered. I would rather have premiums with some room for buffs down the road than still being overpowered years later. Gremyashchy anyone and the Imperator Nikolai other than having crap for AA is still overpowered as heck even with power creep.

That's the thing, California is not a "good" ship. I am plenty familiar with the US standard BB line, but a New Mexico at Tier VII does not translate well. I am more than happy with "okay" ships, Hell I played Prinz Eugen before it got its heal and I loved it. A challenge to be sure but I felt I could quite easily make it work. California is not a ship that can punch above its weight class.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,359 battles
7 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

I don't buy anything without reviewing beforehand. 

Fixed that for you.

ANYONE who buys a premium ship without waiting for reviews, reading or watching them, and preferably watching some live gameplay on Twitch deserves what they get. Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) has been a part of Western civilization ever since its universal language was Latin. It is a tragedy that this has been forgotten, particularly by anyone who actually has the ability to be playing this game and logging into these forums.

• Boring 2

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,413 battles
11 hours ago, Redwing6 said:

Buy before read, means they got exactly the ship that wanted

[PVE]
Members
11,863 posts
24,570 battles

CA is not a turd OP. It may not be OP but it isn't a turd either.

To offer the flip side of your post title theory/argument I bought CA even though I did read reviews and watch WIP replays. The ship is what I expected it to be based on stats and what I saw in the replays. I felt a lot of the negative comments were more a personal playstyle thing than unbiased commentary. The ship looked ok from what I saw and after buying I kind of like it and disagree with those reviews out there calling it garbage, a turd, etc...

I think too many reviews do the ship an injustice. The ship is not as bad as some of these revered "CC's/Testers" are making it out to be. I have seen that happen before where these people the average player rely on to tell them the truth in an unbiased way say don't buy = bad and yet down the road the ship actually turns out to be really good and/or builds a loyal following. 3 come to mind right off...

• Flamu said Republique was awful and he said Musashi was not worth the cost and not really any good - a worse Yamato. He said don't get either initially. Republique is a beast and Musashi isn't even available anymore (outside of SC's and Santa crates) because it is too powerful/too popular.
  • LWM said Abruzzi was garbage and yet it is a pretty popular ship these days with a lot of fans. I argued with her then (as I have recently about CA) only to be told I don't know what I am talking about; only she does. No, she like anyone can let personal biases cloud her judgement which I feel has happened here with CA to her again.

These same people can also tell you a ship is good or great that for you is hot garbage. Quite a few said Roma was good upon release and yet that ship is horrible IMO. So keep in mind what some reviewer says may not turn out to be accurate once the general population, or you specifically, gets the ships. They might be really good after all, people may like them warts and all, or they might be awful despite good reviews.

Doesn't matter what LWM, Flamu, Flambass, etc... say about these ships. What matters is what the person playing them thinks. Use stats and watch replays to judge if a ship fits your playstyle or not. DON'T let someone else tell you a ship is good or not and to buy or not. You might miss a ship you actually like or end up with one you hate thinking what were you thinking LWM, Flamu, etc...

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

I have to ask the question all the time.

Why the hell would anyone buy anything without researching it first? 

Bare Bones $40.00 for the thing, I can think of other things I can buy for that and things that if the company goes Belly-up or I get fed-up with the game im not out $40 bucks.

To me you do not buy things someone can take away from you that should be permanent. Premium time (has a ""time-limit"") ok buy it you know its time sensitive. Camo im torn on I do get them for T-10 only (you almost have to have it to play t-10) lower tiers I have free camos and wegee likes giving them out so no need for buying anything under t-10.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,740 posts
29 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

I have to ask the question all the time.

Why the hell would anyone buy anything without researching it first? 

Bare Bones $40.00 for the thing, I can think of other things I can buy for that and things that if the company goes Belly-up or I get fed-up with the game im not out $40 bucks.

To me you do not buy things someone can take away from you that should be permanent. Premium time (has a ""time-limit"") ok buy it you know its time sensitive. Camo im torn on I do get them for T-10 only (you almost have to have it to play t-10) lower tiers I have free camos and wegee likes giving them out so no need for buying anything under t-10.

I don't understand impulse buying.

Especially from a seller with a dodgy history.

• Cool 1

[NFJF]
Members
654 posts
9,903 battles

Basically the only thing I dislike about her is the reload. I don't know how WG can justify a 34 second reload since Cali has to go against t9s. Also, I already knew she was going to be slow, she's a standard type BB and that's just part of them. Other than the reload, I've actually been pleased with her. Her dispersion reminds me of Montana, which I consider a good thing. I also had a game against a Lexington where I shot down almost 50 of her planes which was nice. @Sea_Lord_Mountbatten did a review of her on youtube, and I pretty much share his opinion of her more or less.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,809 posts
1,478 battles

I assume it will be Ok at co-op, nope it’s trash so if anyone wants to sue WG over this they will have a good case. What kind of fool thinks it’s a good idea to have a ship that even is even bad at Co-op. 

• Meh 1

Members
837 posts
5,808 battles

I hate to be that guy but this is why I FEEL it’s better to rely on stats of the ship than reviews. I’ve gotten to a point where I look a stats and I can visualize them I action. Like I knew the French DDs would be murderers but would be vulnerable to CVs. Or how the British CA would be pretty meh in the high rate of fire meta. If ur buying to collect or for history that’s one thing. Otherwise do your research fam.