You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FlyingPortagee

California is worth it!

53 comments in this topic

[KAPOW]
Members
27 posts

I watched a couple of video reviews, but my first match in this ship was pretty awesome against 5, 6 and 7 ships. I basically just bullied my way to the enemy cap.

cal.thumb.jpg.85c1caabc3532435939c826f1147e645.jpg

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 7
  • Meh 6

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles

Any ship is strong when its top tier, that doesn't make it good and that doesn't make it worth it.   A ship thats "worth it" is a ship that can still perform when its bottom tier.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[KSC]
Supertester
45 posts
10,535 battles

California can shine very well when it’s top tier. It will start to struggle when it gets placed in higher tier matches. It especially will struggle Tier 9 games when it goes up against the like of Musashi and what not.

Beta Testers
443 posts
11,772 battles

You and your new ship are still on your honeymoon......Wait till the honeymoon is over

• Haha 2

[KSC]
Supertester
45 posts
10,535 battles

T9 cruisers that have any remote idea on how to angle or kite, will sit there and farm a California to death. Cali’s guns won’t do much since pretty much all cruisers at T9 have enough armor to autobounce her 356mm shells. And it’s not like you’ll be able to disengage with a ship that slow. A French cruiser for example can nearly keep up with you going full speed while he’s in reverse with speed boost active.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Tin foil hat time. Every new ship I ever paid real cash for did really well my first game or two. I'm serious.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 1

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles
2 minutes ago, XSerpent_LordX said:

California can shine very well when it’s top tier. It will start to struggle when it gets placed in higher tier matches. It especially will struggle Tier 9 games when it goes up against the like of Musashi and what not.

I've found California actually works far better in t9 than the other t7 BBs.  She does really poorly against higher tier BBs, but 410s and 406's also lose most of their advantages vs t8+.  On the other hand, her sheer volume of fire + good sigma makes her much more punishing to any cruiser that does get caught broadside regardless of tier.  She's not great by any means, and bland may be one of the best ways to describe her, but I really can't call her bad.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
39 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Any ship is strong when its top tier, that doesn't make it good and that doesn't make it worth it.   A ship thats "worth it" is a ship that can still perform when its bottom tier.

agree! I could say my ignis is a flawless ship when downtiered.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
26 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Tin foil hat time. Every first game in every ship I ever paid real cash for did really well my first game or two. I'm serious.

i have the same feeling.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,803 posts
21,716 battles
59 minutes ago, FlyingPortagee said:

It pretty much wrecks tier 7 cruisers

What T7 BB (and T6 one for that matter) doesn't?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
31 minutes ago, Felipe_1982 said:

i have the same feeling.

Lol. I don't want to steal their fun. Actually, I hope they maintain a 70% wr and earn numerous krakens in their new boat. Just sharing my thoughts after dozens of purchases over the years. Many had brief honeymoons (Agile), some have been pure joy (Scharn, Kidd, Simms, etc) for several years. GLHF to you all.

Edited by thebigblue

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,428 posts
12,692 battles
1 hour ago, XSerpent_LordX said:

Almost all the tier 7 ships struggle against a Musashi as well as lots of tier 8 no ?

[KSC]
Supertester
45 posts
10,535 battles
7 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Almost all the tier 7 ships struggle against a Musashi as well as lots of tier 8 no ?

Yes, but California especially do the the fact she’s very slow, and she’s quite the chonker. Her under sized guns don’t help when uptiered either. Colorado usually would fair better since she has 406’s

Edited by XSerpent_LordX

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,428 posts
12,692 battles
1 minute ago, XSerpent_LordX said:

Yes, but California especially do the the fact she’s very slow, and she’s quite the chonker. Her unsized guns don’t help when uptiered either. Colorado usually would fair better since she has 406’s

I don't have the California but I have a Musashi and in the hands of a good player she's a beast . Unfortunately I'm not a good player do you have California is it really bad ?

Beta Testers
443 posts
11,772 battles
36 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Lol. I don't want to steal their fun. Actually, I hope they maintain a 70% wr and earn numerous krakens in their new boat. Just sharing my thoughts after dozens of purchases over the years. Many had brief honeymoons (Agile), some have been pure joy (Scharn, Kidd, Simms, etc) for several years. GLHF to you all.

Lol I thought I was alone in this (j/k). I've found with my purchased ships...the honeymoon of "this ship is freaking awesomeness" usually ends around 30 to 40 games ---almost like clockwork. Then the slow claw-back begins...

• Cool 2

[KSC]
Supertester
45 posts
10,535 battles
4 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I don't have the California but I have a Musashi and in the hands of a good player she's a beast . Unfortunately I'm not a good player do you have California is it really bad ?

I don’t own her, the ship doesn’t interest me overall. She essentially functions as a Colorado with New Mex guns on it.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,428 posts
12,692 battles
1 minute ago, XSerpent_LordX said:

I don’t own her, the ship doesn’t interest me overall. She essentially functions as a Colorado with New Mex guns on it.

Thanks doesn't sound very good .

[CRUEL]
Members
548 posts
10,125 battles
54 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

First time I took out the agile I got my first kraken. Since then I just use it in co op. Lol

• Cool 1

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,322 posts

Is it worth it? Nope, read @LittleWhiteMouse's review. If that's not enough then go see Flamu's (a WG fanboi) review on Youtube, which is almost as bad. You'll always have great games, but for the most part, unless you're a unicum, you'll get shytegames...

[RLGN]
Members
16,223 posts
28,096 battles

Will probably wind up getting California, since I tend to like ships that are universally hated...

• Cool 1

[UNHLY]
Members
3,257 posts
25,343 battles
3 hours ago, FlyingPortagee said:

I watched a couple of video reviews, but my first match in this ship was pretty awesome against 5, 6 and 7 ships. I basically just bullied my way to the enemy cap.

cal.thumb.jpg.85c1caabc3532435939c826f1147e645.jpg

Great game Sir but you yet to face some real opposition in game.

Wait till your California has to face these two behemoths in battle.

Wows: Mikasa by REGIROCKROCKNUKE on DeviantArt

Premium Ship Review: Katori - WorldOfWarships