You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DemonOfRazgrizz

Odin, underpowered as heck

21 comments in this topic

Members
104 posts
7,112 battles

The Odin, good armor, good torps, decent enough AA, good concealment. But the health???? What in the world? A tier 8 BB that has to routinely face tier 9 and 10. There are multiple tier SIX BBs that have several thousand more HP of health than the darn Odin. Please. FOR THE LOVE OF LAWD. Buff the Odins health pool. It just cant tank or do anything a BB is supposed to do. Either that or classify is as a cruiser. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

She may not have health, but she has the tricks of Bismarck, Scharnhorst and Tirpitz in one hull. They had to nerf something into the ground, and they chose the hp. If they didn't, she'd be blatantly OP. Even if they made her a T10 cruiser, they'd probably have to nerf her even more.

• Confused 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,705 battles

I bought her on day 1.

Range of Massachusetts secondaries (almost), without the accuracy. 

Torpedoes from Tirpitz. 

Hydro from Bismark. 

Lower caliber guns and speed ala Schornhurst. 

Armour almost as tanky as a Tirpitz. 

AA other Germans envy.

She is almost, almost OP... a very balanced and fun ship.

If you can avoid more than 2 ships shooting you, you will tank.

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,306 posts
25,241 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I bought her on day 1.

Torpedoes from Tirpitz. 

Hydro from Bismark. 

Lower caliber guns and speed ala Schornhurst. 

Armour almost as tanky as a Tirpitz. 

AA other Germans envy.

She is almost, almost OP... a very balanced and fun ship.

If you can avoid more than 2 ships shooting you, you will tank.

So basically I should give up trying to get her, since I’ve never really done very good in any of those ships in Randoms... :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
10,670 posts
18,567 battles
3 hours ago, DemonOfRazgrizz said:

The Odin, good armor, good torps, decent enough AA, good concealment. But the health???? What in the world? A tier 8 BB that has to routinely face tier 9 and 10. There are multiple tier SIX BBs that have several thousand more HP of health than the darn Odin. Please. FOR THE LOVE OF LAWD. Buff the Odins health pool. It just cant tank or do anything a BB is supposed to do. Either that or classify is as a cruiser. 

The Odin is fine, its the other BBs in the tier that needs the nerf bat.

• Meh 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
20,705 battles
32 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

So basically I should give up trying to get her, since I’ve never really done very good in any of those ships in Randoms... :Smile_sceptic:

According to Sea Lord Mattenban, he likens it to a mini montana that would suffer in a T9 match.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,636 posts
4,999 battles
On 7/4/2020 at 8:36 PM, Navalpride33 said:

The Odin is fine, its the other BBs in the tier that needs the nerf bat.

If Odin is the target then most Tier VIII BBs need significant buffs to match her.  Contrary to the OP's whining, Odin is doing very well right now.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

Members
969 posts
4,025 battles
On 7/4/2020 at 9:23 PM, dEsTurbed1 said:

Odin's secondaries' range is 11.6 with skill & flag.

[APES]
Members
993 posts
6,316 battles

Odin is nerfed in a wrong way. I agree. The low HP forces her captain to play the ship extremely passively in the opening and midgame, and avoid taking torpedo damage in anyway. This turns Odin into an endgame-only boat.

Odin is ineffective at long range sniping. So in the beginning and midgame, a captain might as well spam HE at maximum range. It's sad.

• Cool 1

Members
388 posts

The Odin is a Scharnhorst playing at T8.  Underwhelming in a way only WOW could make a happen.

• Cool 1

[SEA-7]
Members
253 posts
5,172 battles

She’s a very heavy cruiser. She plays great. Lots of fun. For $14 I’m very happy. If she had another 10-15k HP she might be in smol territory of f*ck3d.

[POP]
Members
1,084 posts
9,395 battles
47 minutes ago, Fifi_Macaffee said:

She’s a very heavy cruiser. She plays great. Lots of fun. For $14 I’m very happy. If she had another 10-15k HP she might be in smol territory of f*ck3d.

Now ask yourself, how many times you took an unexpected long-range citadel early battle that shaved 14k off your ship but still continued to play and ended up having an amazing game.  And that was without odins armor or gimmicks. 

The biggest problem with this ship is the people that think she should be able to pop hydro, rush into a cap while tanking enemy fire of 4 or more,  kill 2 cruisers with guns, 2 bb's with tops and run down the enemy dd with secondaries.   All in the first 2 min.

[SEA-7]
Members
253 posts
5,172 battles
11 hours ago, HallaSnackbar said:

Now ask yourself, how many times you took an unexpected long-range citadel early battle that shaved 14k off your ship but still continued to play and ended up having an amazing game.  And that was without odins armor or gimmicks. 

The biggest problem with this ship is the people that think she should be able to pop hydro, rush into a cap while tanking enemy fire of 4 or more,  kill 2 cruisers with guns, 2 bb's with tops and run down the enemy dd with secondaries.   All in the first 2 min.

Agreed on the second paragraph. That’s an illusion that people have with any tanking BB. Odin can definitely handle DD better than most BB but I wouldn’t call that an early game function unless you like to die fast and hard. 

[-K-]
Members
118 posts
22,754 battles

Odin really isn't underpowered -- its a ship that really requires patience.  You can't play it early game like either bismarck or tirpitz because its HP pool is so low.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,216 battles

It seems Odin is heavily UP based on its listed capabilities. Have to throw results into the discussion to see how all that underperforming synergizes. Currently, it is performing  better than the Mass (a pretty good boat) in almost alll categories. Now it may be crewed mostly by better players at the moment (those that completed the grind fast, but there are a lot of whales in there too) but it would have to fall a long way to match Bismarck/Tirpitz levels of performance.  All that mediocrity must synergize pretty well.

Do I wish it was a tad better at some things (like HP or ROF)? HELL YES (since I have one). But I'm not sure it needs it.

Edited by Sabot_100

[DDOG]
Beta Testers
20 posts
13,055 battles

To me, it seems to work pretty decently and I've found it to be really tanky. The thing is, every ship is going to need team backup dependant on circumstances and being focus fired is bound to happen once in a while.

[-H-]
Members
135 posts
6,422 battles

I dont run an Odin but as a player who has sunk several numbers of them here is my two cents. They burn just like any other German BB.  The primary Achilles heel of all German BB, and combine that with light hitting inaccurate guns makes it an easy target to kite away on over and over.

The armor secondaries and torps help in close to mid range but they have to survive the accurate and sustained fire on them, which dependent upon teams and individual players skill, and RNG can vary wildly. However! Because of it low HP pool, they can't last very long. So out of all German BBs at this tier, they're by far the most easy to kill from my perspective.

Members
388 posts
On 8/13/2020 at 9:01 PM, Concept6 said:

I dont run an Odin but as a player who has sunk several numbers of them here is my two cents. They burn just like any other German BB.  The primary Achilles heel of all German BB, and combine that with light hitting inaccurate guns makes it an easy target to kite away on over and over.

The armor secondaries and torps help in close to mid range but they have to survive the accurate and sustained fire on them, which dependent upon teams and individual players skill, and RNG can vary wildly. However! Because of it low HP pool, they can't last very long. So out of all German BBs at this tier, they're by far the most easy to kill from my perspective.

^This.

German BB's are my preferred target to rain HE spam down on.

They are garbage in the current meta.  HP pinatas.  Please play yours.

Members
817 posts
13,825 battles
On 7/5/2020 at 7:59 AM, DemonOfRazgrizz said:

WG could have balanced the nerf to the Odin's health pool with maybe an improved repair party, or better gun performance, or almost anything (except buffing the secondaries..) to give the impression that they were not just nerfing the ship because it is a) German and B) almost a free T8 premium.

It's a fun ship, but ultimately it takes a T8 BB slot so has to be able to fill that slot and the lack of health makes that task harder than it needs to be. 

[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles
On 8/15/2020 at 9:04 PM, nhf said:

^This.

German BB's are my preferred target to rain HE spam down on.

They are garbage in the current meta.  HP pinatas.  Please play yours.

If German BBs are your preferred targets for your HE Spam, then that's a foolish move.  Your HE shells would penetrate a number of ships out there much more easily, on top of setting them on fire.  Even among Tier VIII Battleships, you'd farm a lot juicier targets than a German BB.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles

Underpowered?

Taken from RU Server, which is the most important server that WG pays attention to.  It's by far the largest server with NA being 3rd largest out of 4 servers (RU > EU > NA > Asia)

Source link.

lladtIW.jpg

Odin seems to be doing fine.

She's played a lot for a Premium, more than even some Tech Tree BBs.

Her WR% is good.

She does good damage.

The only proven challenger to Odin in performance is Massachusetts, who puts up better numbers and is played quite a lot.  Some of the high stat performance competition here like Champagne, Alabama, Roma are hardly played, so their stats are pretty well inflated.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Meh 1