Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
The_Big_Woof

USS California

6 comments in this topic

[WARGS]
Members
21 posts
22,518 battles

I had heard from CC reviews that she was going to be what could charitably be called "Lack Luster". After reading the stats and the information provided in the "Please buy this ship" section, my question is, "Why in the Name of Odin's one eye would I want to buy this? I already get most of the downside here with the West Virginia 1941. I am referring to mediocre secondaries, mediocre armor, and horrible speed. OK, so she has more guns.. they are smaller and do less damage. It straight up says that. It is slow as a glacier. There is not one ship in any match it will ever play, from tier 5 to tier 9 that it can either catch or outrun, not a single one. Ok.. It may, just through number of guns, be able to luck out and Blap a cruiser, if it gets lucky. So what? That cruiser wil kite away then burn it down. So it has decent AA. Again, so what? It cant keep up with anything so it will get left on its own, and a good CV player will either leave it alone or wait till its been burnt out and the AA is down. It is too slow to keep up and share AA protection. 

The only thing I see that I am pleased with is that it was a real built ship with history.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
326 posts
6,336 battles

I got her for the memes, but I can see the potential in her.  Her HE is actually comparable to UK BB's so don't feel guilty for using it.  A BIG problem with her is that you really need to have situational awareness.  If you start moving up a flank before you realized it's already collapsed (because let's face it your team will probably already beat you to the front line and you'll be chugging along in the back) then you're already dead.  You can't run away fast enough and her huge size makers her easy for HE spammers.  I need some more time with her to get an idea of what best works for her, but we'll see.

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,210 battles

Still early with few games but the ship seems to be far exceeding expectations. Lots of plane kills as expected BUT it is currently at the top of the chart for WR and damage done also. Maybe it is mostly being driven by really good players where a 55% WR is a step down, but it does seem to be doing better than expected. This at a tier where there really aren't any great lemons. The bottom WR is over 49%. Even if it settles back a bit, it still looks like it could be an upper middle of the pack performer. 

Anyone have any explanations?

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,142 posts
15,742 battles

I had low expectations for this ship as I'm sure most have from the reviews.  I bought it anyway because I thought it looked cool, at least relative to the Colorado and New Mexico.  Anyway I think expectations are so low that people are underestimating this ship.  Overall I'm actually having fun with this ship.  I'm starting to like it better than Scharnhorst.  The main drawback is you can't use this in most cases to keep up with cruisers, absorb damage, and support a push.  Too slow and takes damage easy.  Mostly I try to keep towards the center of the map.  If you over commit to a flank you will become out of position quickly...an easy victim if your team collapses on that side, or out of the rest of the fight if your team pushed through it too fast.  This thing is crazy accurate at range, and the 12 guns makes it easier to land penetrations on unsuspecting cruisers.  Once I'm in position I creep forward at 1/4 speed, angle to get all guns into play, and just wait for the right opportunity...I'm surprised that I don't have to wait very long for those opportunities.

[SCREW]
Members
364 posts
16,842 battles

I have yet to have a bad game in the California. Being slow is really not a downside in my opinion. Everything from the South Carolina to the Colorado is slow, but this doesn't make them bad ships. They make up for that with either a large number of guns or good AA/armor. And frankly, I don't worry about being left behind because the vast majority of teams stop or turn around at the first sign of a red ship, so catching up isn't exactly an issue. Yeah, when you see t9 ships you're basically relegated to cruiser play, but that's the same for any other t7 BB.

Sign in to follow this