Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bortt

Manually Selecting a Ship without Manual Secondaries

17 comments in this topic

[Y0L0W]
Members
641 posts
20,613 battles

Does manually selecting a ship without the manual secondary captain skill provide any bonus?

Thinking especially in a one on one brawl when no other ships are in secondary range.

[WORX]
Members
13,240 posts
20,094 battles
4 minutes ago, Bortt said:

Does manually selecting a ship without the manual secondary captain skill provide any bonus?

Thinking especially in a one on one brawl when no other ships are in secondary range.

Bonuses ? No.

Secondaries (for some ships) will fire at the closets ship on a particular side... So bow tanking, will not give you any good secondary benefit compared to say broadsiding or at an angle.

In a 1 vs 1 situation, manual secondaries dont make a difference... The Secondaries will go off once the red ship is

• in range of secondaries
  • will fire depending on the secondary arcs of the secondary guns. 

Manual secondaries help mainly, with the dispersion of the shells on a red ship you clicked... In a 1 vs 1 situation with manual Secondaries, your dispersion will improve. That is about it...

GL

[BSL]
Members
1,232 posts
21,643 battles

I believe the secondaries on that side of the ship prioritize that bote if you have selected it, but the other side will shoot what ever is closest.  I never use the manual  secondary skill.  I have had DDs sneak up on me and so any times, it's the auto secondaries that save my kiester.

Edited by BearlyHereBear

[PVE]
Members
11,071 posts
19,189 battles

Manual Target Selection

The captain may select one enemy to fire at in preference to all others. Hold down the <ctrl> key and select the enemy ship with the left mouse button (LMB).[3] When the preferred target is selected, a small icon (illustrated nearby) appears above its icon. Only one target can be manually selected. When a preferred target is selected, secondary guns will fire at no other target. Designating such a target provides no bonuses of any type.

[EQRN]
Members
2,238 posts
20,494 battles

Someone in a Scenario chat once said it improved dispersion by 10% - I have neither seen or read anything to back that claim up one iota.

[KSC]
Supertester
45 posts
10,533 battles

They provide no bonuses when a ship captain isn’t spec’d for manual secondaries. All it does is essentially a ‘priority target’ order, meaning when several ships may be within secondary range; the one selected will be the priority focus fire for all secondary guns that are able to fire upon it.

[WMD]
Members
1,926 posts
10,914 battles
11 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

So in reality it is worth doing. At least in certain situations.

Indeed, particularly when farming secondary hits in co-op. Rather than wasting secondary shots at DDs or manoeuvring CA/CL you can get all of your secondary guns on a side shooting at fat BBs. 

Edited by VeatherVitch

[WMD]
Members
1,926 posts
10,914 battles
3 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

See the source image

Well you can try it in randoms, but you're likely to cause your team to lose. 

Never lost a co-op game I farmed secondary hits in.... 

[YORHA]
Members
5,363 posts
10,521 battles
46 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

See the source image

Why so smug?

It makes perfect sense when you are going after objectives that require secondary hits to complete.

[RBMK]
Members
2,263 posts
36,351 battles
1 hour ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

So in reality it is worth doing. At least in certain situations.

Yes. With something like Mass, Krackens happen with manual secondaries.

Members
2,681 posts
4,301 battles

Nope,  just focuses all secondaries that have a firing angle to fire on that target.  If the secondaries don't have an angle,  they'll find another target in their firing angle or hold fire until something does,  prioritizing the ship you've focused on.

Members
7,122 posts
22,660 battles
53 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Yes. With something like Mass, Krackens happen with manual secondaries.

Ok, no. I understand manual secondarys. The point is clicking on a target when you don't have that captain skill. 

As I understand it, all your guns still focus on that singular target if you do click on him, but you don't receive the improved dispersion that you would had you specced manual secondarys vs just having secondarys focused on one target.

[WPORT]
Members
9,815 posts
14,329 battles
34 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

As I understand it, all your guns still focus on that singular target if you do click on him, but you don't receive the improved dispersion that you would had you specced manual secondarys vs just having secondarys focused on one target.

Bingo.

[WPORT]
Members
9,815 posts
14,329 battles
3 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

I believe the secondaries on that side of the ship prioritize that bote if you have selected it, but the other side will shoot what ever is closest.  I never use the manual  secondary skill.  I have had DDs sneak up on me and so any times, it's the auto secondaries that save my kiester.

That is my understanding, too.

[WPORT]
Members
9,815 posts
14,329 battles
1 hour ago, Palladia said:

Nope,  just focuses all secondaries that have a firing angle to fire on that target.  If the secondaries don't have an angle,  they'll find another target in their firing angle or hold fire until something does,  prioritizing the ship you've focused on.

+1

Sign in to follow this