Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Three secondary hits

8 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,127 battles

Trying out my new Graf Spee. Not that impressed so far, Anyway, recent game I was bottom tier and ended up being pursued by a Massachusetts and a cruiser after our flank collapsed,  Mostly running I managed to land 4 torps and numerous gun hit over time on the BB but my end was certain. I turned around when he got distracted and charged in for a ram and sank him (and me of course). The final tally showed  I only  got 3 secondary hits. How can you close to ramming distance and only get 3 secondary hits? I was in secondary range when I started my turn. 

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,133 posts
4,970 battles
4 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Trying out my new Graf Spee. Not that impressed so far, Anyway, recent game I was bottom tier and ended up being pursued by a Massachusetts and a cruiser after our flank collapsed,  Mostly running I managed to land 4 torps and numerous gun hit over time on the BB but my end was certain. I turned around when he got distracted and charged in for a ram and sank him (and me of course). The final tally showed  I only  got 3 secondary hits. How can you close to ramming distance and only get 3 secondary hits? I was in secondary range when I started my turn. 

What angle were you at? I am assuming you were bow in if you were chasing a ram. Secondary batteries have firing arcs just like main turrets do, so if you were bow in maybe none of your secondaries could aim at the target.

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,127 battles
7 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

What angle were you at? I am assuming you were bow in if you were chasing a ram. Secondary batteries have firing arcs just like main turrets do, so if you were bow in maybe none of your secondaries could aim at the target.

Possibly. He was chasing me, I ran into the border (mostly stern toward him) and then turned to port  to head right at him. He was in range when I made the turn (broadside) but yes, I did quickly achieve a bow-on approach. Had to turn a bit  at the last minute to make the ram. Seems like  at ;east 2 x5.9 "  and 2 x4.1 should have had multiple shots on target as I closed in. Really bad gunners.

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,127 battles
10 minutes ago, Neko_Ship_Akashi said:

Have a replay and screenshot of your Graf Spee's Captain skills? Because that can help explain alot.

No secondary skills (yet, 10pt). Not sure it will ever be worth a secondary spec on the ship

[WPORT]
Members
5,396 posts
10,444 battles
56 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

"...The final tally showed  I only  got 3 secondary hits. How can you close to ramming distance and only get 3 secondary hits? I was in secondary range when I started my turn. "

Clarifying question:  Secondary range?  Yours?  Or the Massachusetts'?  Or both?

~Secondary battery fire is automated and not usually very accurate.  
~Lower tier ships tend to have shorter maximum ranges on their secondary batteries.
~The firing-arcs of the guns are important.  If the ship isn't able to have all secondary batteries aimed at a target, then only some, or perhaps none, of the secondary batteries will even open fire.
~Graf Spee has fewer guns (both Main and Secondary) when compared to the Massachusetts.  
~In a "salvo vs. salvo" exchange, Graf Spee is at a disadvantage.  In a damage-per-minute comparison, Graf Spee is again at a disadvantage, unless she can score some torpedo hits to affect the balance of firepower.
~Armor?   Where were your hits-on-target landing?

Advanced Firing Training Captain's Skill improves the range of secondary batteries. 
When combined with a secondary battery module upgrade, the range is again improved and accuracy also improved.
Combine both of the above with Manual Fire Control for Secondary battery Captain's Skill, and a ship at Tier-7 and above will see a significant improvement in secondary battery performance when compared to the un-improved version of the ship.

Is it worth it?

For several battleships the answer is:  yes.
For cruisers, it depends upon their play-style and the ship's capabilities.  Cruiser main guns fire more often than BB's and are typically more accurate.  Aiming Systems is often a better module choice.
For the Graf Zeppelin the answer is:  Oh Yeah!  (and cue the meme-worthy stories about secondary fire from Graf Zeppelins).
For destroyers the answer is: no.  Spend the skill points and credits elsewhere.

The secondary battery fires more often than the typical 30-second cycle of BB main-guns.
With ranges of 6.5 to 7.2 to 9+ to 10 or even 11+ kilometres, depending upon the ship and the tier, having secondary batteries is a welcome addition to a ship that sails into "target rich environments".

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,127 battles
22 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

s it worth it?

In general I would assume it isn't worth it on the Graf Spee. I don't think you really want to brawl with this ship if you can avoid it. Getting all the secondaries to bear means you are showing a lot of kinda squishy broadside at fairly short ranges.

I did recheck and the sec range (stock) is 4.2k.

Edited by Sabot_100

[WPORT]
Members
5,396 posts
10,444 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

In general I would assume it isn't worth it on the Graf Spee. I don't think you really want to brawl with this ship if you can avoid it. Getting all the secondaries to bear means you are showing a lot of kinda squishy broadside at fairly short ranges. T

I agree.  
Graf Spee suffers from having only two main-gun turrets, with 3 barrels each.  One more turret up front would help a lot.
The torpedoes are decent, but one has to get close with a giant and easily detected ship that is temporarily self-identifying as a DD.

Using terrain and detection management seems to be optimal, I feel.  Fire during opportunities and evade incoming ordnance as much as possible.

Sign in to follow this