Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Jitta77

The Paolo Emilio

57 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

172
[CAP]
Members
442 posts
17,926 battles

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/48

In the new test iteration, we radically changed the concept of Paolo Emilio. Now it is a destroyer whose goal in battle is to conduct rapid torpedo attacks at close range. An "Exhaust Smoke Generator", an "Engine Boost" which increases the maximum speed by 25%, and torpedoes that have high damage and quick reload, but a short range, will help her in her role.

To play effectively, it's important to choose a target, plan an attack route, engage, and retreat. It is worth noting that the Smoke Generator will only allow you to get closer to the enemy, but the action time is not enough to hide from the enemy ship when retreating.
The main-caliber guns still have a high salvo weight, but due to the long reload time, they are more of an auxiliary weapon.

 

So this concept has a fast T9 DD with 67 kt Torps that hit for 23K max but 4 km range.  How is this concept supposed to work at T9?  Is it radar proof or something?  Detection under 5.5km?  7 second reload guns with 11km range.

She sounds like a mix between german and russian DDs but focused on the worst DD game scenario (suicide torping).  I don't get this boat at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,032
[UNHLY]
Members
3,241 posts
25,287 battles
8 minutes ago, Jitta77 said:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/48

In the new test iteration, we radically changed the concept of Paolo Emilio. Now it is a destroyer whose goal in battle is to conduct rapid torpedo attacks at close range. An "Exhaust Smoke Generator", an "Engine Boost" which increases the maximum speed by 25%, and torpedoes that have high damage and quick reload, but a short range, will help her in her role.

To play effectively, it's important to choose a target, plan an attack route, engage, and retreat. It is worth noting that the Smoke Generator will only allow you to get closer to the enemy, but the action time is not enough to hide from the enemy ship when retreating.
The main-caliber guns still have a high salvo weight, but due to the long reload time, they are more of an auxiliary weapon.

 

So this concept has a fast T9 DD with 67 kt Torps that hit for 23K max but 4 km range.  How is this concept supposed to work at T9?  Is it radar proof or something?  Detection under 5.5km?  7 second reload guns with 11km range.

She sounds like a mix between german and russian DDs but focused on the worst DD game scenario (suicide torping).  I don't get this boat at all.

Its the new Meta, this will be her final design form.

 Italian SLC Human Torpedo of WWII - YouTube

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
967
[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,961 battles

So, I assume it will have insane concealment which will help it sneak up on battleships......that don't have hydro. But, with all of the radar in the game, plus carriers, I'm not sure how successful 4km torps will be in the current meta. I'm sure people will try it but I'm also sure everyone will target it as soon as it's spotted. 

 Explosion Ocean GIF by South Park - Find & Share on GIPHY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
746
[USN]
Members
1,630 posts
21,086 battles
15 minutes ago, Jitta77 said:

7 second reload guns with 11km range.

actually, 12sec, and yes, I have no idea why you would take this thing into random battles. This ship looks like it was built for co-op, where yoloing is about the only way to do damage and bots don't use radar, hydro, or blindfire smoke

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
540
[Y0L0W]
Members
641 posts
20,613 battles

My hope is that people will do this on the Italian DD and stop doing this with DD’s of other nations. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,396
[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,010 battles

I was ROFL when I saw this. Do the developers even play this game? There is no way it will be able to carry out short range torp attacks in a meta full of aircraft carriers and radar and hydro.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
989
[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,241 battles

If Shima struggles to use those 7 or so km range torps... I feel 4km torps are a pipe dream.

I'll stick to Okhotnik if I want that. 4x3 4.5km range torps is fun at T5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
512 posts
15,408 battles
1 hour ago, Jitta77 said:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/48

In the new test iteration, we radically changed the concept of Paolo Emilio. Now it is a destroyer whose goal in battle is to conduct rapid torpedo attacks at close range. An "Exhaust Smoke Generator", an "Engine Boost" which increases the maximum speed by 25%, and torpedoes that have high damage and quick reload, but a short range, will help her in her role.

To play effectively, it's important to choose a target, plan an attack route, engage, and retreat. It is worth noting that the Smoke Generator will only allow you to get closer to the enemy, but the action time is not enough to hide from the enemy ship when retreating.
The main-caliber guns still have a high salvo weight, but due to the long reload time, they are more of an auxiliary weapon.

 

So this concept has a fast T9 DD with 67 kt Torps that hit for 23K max but 4 km range.  How is this concept supposed to work at T9?  Is it radar proof or something?  Detection under 5.5km?  7 second reload guns with 11km range.

She sounds like a mix between german and russian DDs but focused on the worst DD game scenario (suicide torping).  I don't get this boat at all.

looks like a good contesting dd, close range attacks on dds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,923
[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,387 battles
1 hour ago, Jolly_Rodgered said:

So, I assume it will have insane concealment which will help it sneak up on battleships......that don't have hydro. But, with all of the radar in the game, plus carriers, I'm not sure how successful 4km torps will be in the current meta. I'm sure people will try it but I'm also sure everyone will target it as soon as it's spotted. 

 Explosion Ocean GIF by South Park - Find & Share on GIPHY

Nope says it's a  boat  how it's gonna get away with that:Smile_sceptic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Guest
0 posts

It does appear if somebody behinds the scenes is drawing ship gimmicks out of a hat or maybe using a dart board?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39
[L-S-D]
Members
140 posts
45,017 battles

All they need to do is put it in the right tech tree line the RU as the Ruski MTB that it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
64
[VOLT]
Beta Testers
91 posts
17,623 battles

I was really looking forward to this one for a long time. Totally ruined it. More like a big PT boat now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,639
[ARGSY]
Members
24,415 posts
18,358 battles

Why does everyone behave as if what we're being shown is the final form, when you KNOW it's not set in stone?

I agree that trying to create what basically amounts to an Italian Tier 9 Minsk and sell it as a torpedo destroyer is rather an alarming concept, but I want to see exactly what happens to that concept when the rubber hits the road and it has to exist on test in the Live server environment.

We'll see what the next round of revisions looks like after that. THAT will speak volumes.

  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
695
[UN1]
Members
1,385 posts
4,471 battles
44 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Why does everyone behave as if what we're being shown is the final form, when you KNOW it's not set in stone?

I agree that trying to create what basically amounts to an Italian Tier 9 Minsk and sell it as a torpedo destroyer is rather an alarming concept, but I want to see exactly what happens to that concept when the rubber hits the road and it has to exist on test in the Live server environment.

We'll see what the next round of revisions looks like after that. THAT will speak volumes.

I was initally perplexed at this conceptualization and then I remembered some videos of Venezia players doing the very same thing to BB's (smoke charge and torp), and it worked. 

Still, I see tweaks coming. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,237
[SALVO]
Members
8,201 posts
6,084 battles
33 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

How do you say "Banzai!!!" in Italian? :Smile_izmena:

Arrivederci..!?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
705
[UFFA]
Members
2,116 posts
75 battles
12 hours ago, lordholland4293 said:

looks like a good contesting dd, close range attacks on dds

You can’t turn. Do you really want to head straight at something that can drop as many torps and dodge yours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
390
[PHD]
Members
1,930 posts
7,425 battles
12 hours ago, lordholland4293 said:

looks like a good contesting dd, close range attacks on dds

I thought I read somewhere the gun reload was going to be slower, not that 7 seconds is all that great. So it might not be that good a gunboat,  but early days.

How do the Russians feel about the Italians? Like them better Than the Japanese?:Smile_izmena:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
509
[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,672 posts
9,035 battles

Is somebody at WG paid to ncome up with bad ideas?

At this point I honestly want to know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
876 posts
5,967 battles

How fast is this thing? If it moves like the French is the only way I’d be interested as it is now. The idea of a Kleber with ninja smoke and 4km nukes sounds actually terrifying. Without the speed though that smoke isn’t enough to save you.

Edited by KnifeInUrNeck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,299
[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Why does everyone behave as if what we're being shown is the final form, when you KNOW it's not set in stone?

I agree that trying to create what basically amounts to an Italian Tier 9 Minsk and sell it as a torpedo destroyer is rather an alarming concept, but I want to see exactly what happens to that concept when the rubber hits the road and it has to exist on test in the Live server environment.

We'll see what the next round of revisions looks like after that. THAT will speak volumes.

The problem is, some things are clearly not going to work, and this is one of them. With all the radar/hydro/planes in high tiers, getting at point blank range with a DD is suicide. 

 

Just the fact that the devs even consider something like this points that they dont play or dont understand their own game, and thus dont have the knowlodge to balance the game. This is a huge deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×