You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

What is your experience in this season of Ranked? Mine: Ranked Sprint 12 has been hard on me. Am I not even a below average player now?

45 comments in this topic

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts

My (not particularly good) Ranked battle stats (typically >50%) are usually higher than my (also not particularly good) Random battle stats. I like to think that Ranked reflects current me, which is better than past me because I have been continually improving. But this Ranked Sprint season (which is not even "normal" Ranked), I'm hoping that's not the case. Why? A 37% winrate!?! I am very below average and definitely need some big help from the community.

image.thumb.png.e1a3414ddc97b5f5e5316111ec33fc62.png

image.thumb.png.5b6cae27edf85fac342d7e91c4948a6d.png

Well, on the plus side, I have definitely learned what persistence is. It's chugging it out while you're losing more than normal. It's getting to Rank 1 in the face of some serious adversity. It's the tortoise and the hare all over again. "Slow and steady wins the race." I've been slow. I've been steady. And I'm at Rank 1.

Wait. Do I want to write an encouraging, "moral of the story" post? Maybe not. I want to hear about your honest tale to Rank 1. What are your honest thoughts on Ranked Sprint Season 12?

Spoiler

For those who like a close battle that reflects my Ranked experience:

image.thumb.png.47a096ac643ae4ae02f054820c3d38cb.png

Good play in general, so I don't feel the need to censor names. But just in case:
image.thumb.png.a273b748c578449fb1c95248cc056b97.png

20200703_151222_PJSC708-ARP-Takao_53_Shoreside.wowsreplay

Good luck and fair seas! :cap_rambo: May your Ranked experience be better.

[CDOH]
Members
381 posts
6,872 battles

Games have been blow outs.  You are either on one side or the other.  Every now and then I carry a game.

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,539 battles

Ranked sprint ???

I am actually having a blast... Mainly because I have something to do, Burning down BBs... WIth over 50 BBs in queue, I been having a blast burning them down...

So far, I haven't even noticed the Rank number...

I have seen A LOT of arm chair Adm... I do mean A LOT... The funny part is, I probably how more games in a particular ship then they have total matches in the game as a whole.

At least I am having fun.

• Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,581 posts
15,690 battles

This was one of the easier seasons for me. I do feel like MM plays a really big influence in your experience. You yourself have a big part as well, everyone does. However, some matches are no win situations. 

[KWA]
[KWA]
Members
67 posts

i had a hard time when playing BB i felt the DD and CL where suiciding  to much. had a much easier time when i swapped to CL/DD.

[TF-64]
Members
540 posts
19,045 battles

Some ranked seasons, including sprints, can be weird. This one felt like one of those for me as well. My usual good ships just didn't want to gel this go around. Benson, Kidd, Cleveland couldn't get the job done. The Le Fantasque was the one that did the trick for me of all ships. I also ended up playing rather unorthodoxly as well. Shake it up and try something odd. May be just what is needed for you. 

[META_]
Members
1,230 posts
16,057 battles

I'm usually in the high 50sto low 60s% but I have had a low ranked here and there... It happens.. And what is funny is sometimes its in a tier you feel strongly in. So it's not just you..... 

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
1,161 posts
10,892 battles

this season I have a 100% win rate.

:Smile_medal:

Played 1 game and stopped.      

:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 2

[-PVE-]
Members
606 posts
Just now, madgiecool said:

this season I have a 100% win rate.

:Smile_medal:

Played 1 game and stopped.      

:Smile_hiding:

HAHAHAHAHA!

• Cool 1

[O40C]
[O40C]
Beta Testers
880 posts
5,907 battles

This was the easiest ranked ever for me.. probably because I played CV and focused on team based play. I ranked out in 21 games @76%WR.  This was a blast, frankly. 

• Meh 3

[WPORT]
Members
5,458 posts
10,494 battles

I haven't ranked-out yet.
I think I'm up to rank 5.

[-PVE-]
Members
606 posts
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

My (not particularly good) Ranked battle stats (typically >50%) are usually higher than my (also not particularly good) Random battle stats. I like to think that Ranked reflects current me, which is better than past me because I have been continually improving. But this Ranked Sprint season (which is not even "normal" Ranked), I'm hoping that's not the case. Why? A 37% winrate!?! I am very below average and definitely need some big help from the community.

image.thumb.png.e1a3414ddc97b5f5e5316111ec33fc62.png

image.thumb.png.5b6cae27edf85fac342d7e91c4948a6d.png

Well, on the plus side, I have definitely learned what persistence is. It's chugging it out while you're losing more than normal. It's getting to Rank 1 in the face of some serious adversity. It's the tortoise and the hare all over again. "Slow and steady wins the race." I've been slow. I've been steady. And I'm at Rank 1.

Wait. Do I want to write an encouraging, "moral of the story" post? Maybe not. I want to hear about your honest tale to Rank 1. What are your honest thoughts on Ranked Sprint Season 12?

Reveal hidden contents

For those who like a close battle that reflects my Ranked experience:

image.thumb.png.47a096ac643ae4ae02f054820c3d38cb.png

Good play in general, so I don't feel the need to censor names. But just in case:
image.thumb.png.a273b748c578449fb1c95248cc056b97.png

20200703_151222_PJSC708-ARP-Takao_53_Shoreside.wowsreplay

Good luck and fair seas! :cap_rambo: May your Ranked experience be better.

Congratulations on reaching Rank 1! Your persistence is commendable.

I reached Rank 1 after 32 battles. Like the previous seasons and sprints, there were lessons on positioning, maximizing concealment, and communicating one's intentions during the battle.

• My first battle, a player in a Mogami did nothing but hide. Another teammate just went straight, into a hidden destroyer who ambushed him. We lost our lead and eventually the battle. I decided to stop playing Ranked for 3 days. It was that frustrating.

• I tried ships I don't usually use in a PvP environment, such as the Irian. His torpedo reload booster was a nasty surprise for the reds, but he is very squishy. Bagration and Ochakov I also used, primarily for their guns, and the 200% XP bonus mission.

• Charles Martel was probably the most fun ship. The Main Battery Reload Booster never fails to deliver. In one battle, I sneaked undetected to the enemy CV, using Engine Boost. The MBRB helped me reduce her HP real fast.

• For BB, Massachusetts. I used a secondary build, and she's been an absolute blast to play.

I try to look for crossfire, but most of the time, I just join the pack especially if there's a CV. Tactics may vary, and I find having no expectations of winning a battle something that helps me keep from getting frustrated.

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.06.29 - 01.59.14.71.png

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.06.29 - 01.57.22.90.png

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.06.29 - 01.50.34.51.png

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.06.29 - 01.50.25.82.png

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.06.29 - 00.58.24.10.png

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.06.29 - 00.58.16.45.png

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.06.28 - 23.56.22.40.png

World of Warships Screenshot 2020.06.28 - 23.56.06.48.png

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,748 posts
21,520 battles

My season isn't quite over. I am using only Wichita and I am only playing Ranked Sprint for as long as I have that space cammo. Started with 23 cammo and have two left and one win from ranking out. If I win, great! If I get outscored, well, that's great, too! I'll be done either way.

Wichita is a great ship for Ranked Sprint. Very fun!

[TIMT]
Members
643 posts
3,429 battles

I ranked out in 45 battles, with an ok winrate. Played Massa, Cleveland and Lightning. Up to rank 3 it was a blast, I got there in the first two days and while there was the occasional blowout matches were pretty good and not many potatoes at first. Later on this changed though, and it took me almost 20 battles from rank 3 to rank 1.

Ship wise, Massa was just 'easy mode' in that with secondaries she is relatively straight forward, though if your DDs potato or the whole team is bad I am not good enough to carry that. Cleveland did not that good for me, though I attribute that to me not being used to CLs at this point. Lightning was a blast despite CVs, and with her I was finally able to break the blowout games after rank 3.

I think it is mostly down to how lucky  you get with MM and the average quality of players in the queue. Blowouts in particular suck in ranked as you lose stars very easily and then you have to compensate a lot later. So having a bit of luck and a few good games gets you quite far. But man was I happy after I finished since it got me the last bit of coal necessary for Georgia.

[TBW]
Members
10,287 posts
17,482 battles

I got to rank 4 and ran out of Whiskey.

• Funny 2

[-KIA-]
Members
3,471 posts
14,816 battles

It "only" took me 37 battles and it was painful. Well part of it is because I was trying to figure out how to aim with Champagne as well as having an idea on how she perform against same tier opponent.

But players in ranked are becoming even dumber after each patch. One would think DD would be cautious about CV but instead they try to force player into doing what they want and suicide into caps or alternatively decide to hunt down CV the entire game. And when all your DD are dead and the CV is busy trying to torpedo a DD protected by 1 BB and a cruiser, well it's pretty much game over and a contest about who can have the most damage before the game ends. When you try to flank, you get called by your team for not lemming with them or for letting the DD suicide into the radar Cleveland...

Yeah well ranked experience in a nutshell, unless you div with another player, this is pretty much a 1 vs 13

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,383 battles

This one took me 19 battles to rank out, I mainly played the Mass and the Cossack took the Mainz out for a few games. Every time I loss a star I just take a break to stay away from the MM hell that locks you in with a the general pools that's near you (bad pool=bad teams). If you have bad DDs your normally dead as a team any way. They don't have to be good mind you; just stay alive, spot and just watch the mini map for situational awareness. This is what I hope for in a DD, their best ability is availability in a Ranked sprint. 

The EU DD is a good choice for its heal alone, in my opinion.

Whatever ship you pick play it to its strength, I liked the Mass for example. It is a mid range brawler, play it that way. If you play if like a NC then your wrong and you are hurting your team.

If you are a thin skinned kiter then move up until you start spotting ships to burn,  get in kitting position as soon as you see their guns turn another direction burn them. Most don't play with teamwork, that's the hardest thing to overcome. My 2 cent.

[WOLFB]
Members
429 posts
7,935 battles

Managed to rank out in 19 battles.

2 loses on my Mogami when i took it out to see how it performed, it was pretty fun, but the presence of so many BBs and the occasional CV hurt, a lot.

After that decided to take out my Amalfi, and uh...yeah.

Capture.PNG.04ba9216598f7b601574d8be3bcac05f.PNG 

Didn't expect it to perform as good as it did, played it mainly as a close cap support to the DDs and flanker when the opportunity presented itself, it was fun as hell that's for sure.

Blasting 5-8k chunks on BBs and cruisers as well as gutting DDs was nice, smoke was nice to deter the CV seagulls too.

Much prefer T8 ranked sprints than T9-T10 that's for damn sure.

Edited by Saidalphon

Members
7 posts
10,161 battles

I personally had a really enjoyable season. I ranked out very fast, and am currently sitting #1 on the leader board  for max planes shot down in a match at 91 (my favorite achievement).
image.thumb.png.1de36150bb0ac8cb65da3aa7c34b91e9.pngimage.thumb.png.97279a7d6b805e332aed14e8a7eae404.png

[NFJF]
Members
50 posts
1,374 battles

found season too short to grind anything but still had a lot of fun trying despite CV's .  has me thinking about the real ranked season with one less ship how cv's are going to be stronger . 

[SALVO]
Members
4,407 posts
3,814 battles
17 hours ago, henrychenhenry said:

I want to hear about your honest tale to Rank 1. What are your honest thoughts on Ranked Sprint Season 12?

I made Rank 2 in 15 matches. took me 30 more matches reaching 1. Made rank 2.2 5 times before ranking on the 6th attempt. 

Yes it was frustrating. I've had it all happen on that  last rank. I had plenty AFKs (that was the most infuriating), your standard Noob Premium player (Including a GZ not knowing how to use planes and charging into a cap), blackouts on my electrical service, killer lag... was a very Jekill and Hyde experience.

[W-P-E]
[W-P-E]
Members
258 posts
22,214 battles

Grinding T8 CV's along the way and got it done

shot-20_07.04_10_44.16-0202.thumb.jpg.3e6f414ac562f1ac6aa321e3701e5bed.jpg

• Meh 2

[TRU]
Members
602 posts
18,212 battles

The anti-CV crowd will hate me, but I only used the Enterprise and ranked out in 23 games.   

Instead of damage farming, I focused on cap control and harrassed any ship attempting to cap.  Even with a DD that smokes up and goes silent, I could spook some out if their smoke with torps and even got lucky with a couple of kills that way.  I would ask allied DDs to click on the map as to where they wanted fighters and many used the cover well. 

There was only one game that my team truly melted utterly and totally.  I couldnt really run or hide anymore and it was a slaughter.   

Some things I noticed:

*Some DD players still do not toggle their AA which is a huge mistake.  

*There are players of all classes that will inevitably go off on their own and then complain about getting focused and killed quickly.  For some reason I saw a lot of BBs doing this.  

*Sometimes, other CV players flew their planes all the way around the fleets to try and kill me.  This is usually not a good idea as it then allows me to support and spot for my fleet while they lose most of their planes trying to do a little damage to me.  

*Yolos exist for both sides.  Saw some AFKs too which do not help.  

*Only had one really angry teammate that got killed early and then proceeded to lambaste me for being unsupportive cancer.  He even went as so far to message me back in port about proper tactics and gameplay.  Out of curiosity, I checked his profile and stats were hidden.  

Overall I enjoyed the gameplay and those players that actually communicated.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1