You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
mrieder79

Should I spend 60k xp on upgrading to yugumo's 12km torps?

19 comments in this topic

[WORX]
Members
10,759 posts
18,591 battles
4 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

...or should I just go for the shima? 

Are you going to spend your play time in tier X or IX???

• IF you going to stay in tier 9 then up grade away...
    • OR
  • IF your going to spend your time in tier X, then just get the Shima...

Currently, torp king is our lord and savior is Mr. Benham. Its up to you...

[ICBM]
Members
825 posts
9,399 battles

I know. I was taking some time off when the benham thing happened. I'm Sooooooooooooooooooooo bummed about missing it. 

I'm mostly gonna do TX, I think. So I'll just sprint for shima for now. 

[META_]
Members
1,252 posts
16,138 battles

Tier 10 is alot tougher... I do well upto tier 10 then I'm only still a winner in dds... If you are way above 50% at tier 9 I'd move up if only breaking even I'd stay tier 9 a while.... Tier 9s still see tier 7 its a huge edge over tier 10s

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

With the 12km radar ships being common these days... 12km torps would be handy.

Make of that what you will.

[ICBM]
Members
825 posts
9,399 battles

Im just gonna grind it out for now. If I get a few hundred k xp into it and just can't live with 10km torps anymore I'll upgrade. So far I'm doing fine with them, though. Really want to get in the shima. Been wanting that for awhile. 

Edited by mrieder79

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,785 posts
21,575 battles

I actually like Yugumo and her 12km torps better than Shima. I think Shima struggles more than Yugumo at T10 mainly because she isn't as stealthy.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
6,210 posts
22,432 battles
5 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

...or should I just go for the shima? 

Depends on if you run the TRB or smoke.

If TRB...Yugo allows 4 racks in a very short order occasionally over Shima's 3 racks but if you run smoke the Shima's your better bet.

If you're gonna play Yugo more for the TRB advantage the 12km may be better for you but that also depends on if the easier spotted torps are harder for you to get hits with & how well you can avoid radar.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,247 posts
12,685 battles
13 hours ago, Khafni said:

I actually like Yugumo and her 12km torps better than Shima. I think Shima struggles more than Yugumo at T10 mainly because she isn't as stealthy.

Yugumo is only 0.1 km stealthier than Shimakaze. Shima is stupidly stealthy for her DPM.

The reason you struggle with Shima comparing to Yugumo is probably the much longer torp reload. If you dump all three launchers at once, torps won't be available for a longer time than with Yugumo. Especially when Yugumo can run TRB for even better availability.

Unless there are a bunch of ships sitting together, I almost never dump all three launchers. Send 2 then wait to see if the 3rd one is needed. Path yourself so when target of opportunity shows up, you will be ready.

The buffed Unique Upgrade helps a lot too. But you need to know how to plan your attack since it's still very slow swinging the launchers around.

Members
714 posts
5,745 battles

If you unlock them on Yugumo, they will already be unlocked for Shima IIRC, since they both share the same torpedo options (correct me if I am wrong).  Or you could unlock Shima and live with the stock 20km torps that get spotted from space until you unlock the 12km torps.  IMO the 20km torps on Shima are pretty garbage, though you will be safe from radar.  I suppose you could use the 20's with TA and get them down to 16k with better speed, but they are still spotted from so far away that you won't hit much.  The 12s are the best compromise between utility and safety in use - enough range you can avoid most radars, but better spotting range so harder to avoid.  I've never tried the 8km torps.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,247 posts
12,685 battles
16 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

If you unlock them on Yugumo, they will already be unlocked for Shima IIRC, since they both share the same torpedo options (correct me if I am wrong).  

No. Modules of each ship are independently researched.

• Cool 1

Members
714 posts
5,745 battles
10 hours ago, chewonit said:

No. Modules of each ship are independently researched.

I must be thinking of a previous version then; I could swear at one point some ships shared modules and researching one unlocked it for the other.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
450 posts
10,411 battles
On 7/8/2020 at 2:36 AM, Uncle_Lou said:

I must be thinking of a previous version then; I could swear at one point some ships shared modules and researching one unlocked it for the other.

nope been that way since CBT

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,247 posts
12,685 battles
13 hours ago, Muki41 said:

nope been that way since CBT

It was as @Uncle_Lou described that you research the same module only once. I am not sure when it was changed though. I am quite sure it's after CBT though.

[HEROS]
Members
1,992 posts
17,635 battles

from long time forever IJN DD player.  12k torps for Yugumo...?  YES, yes, and let me say YES.

You need the reach.

I know it's a several month old thread but yea... what is a questionable decision is getting the fire control upgrade.   If you upgrade the FC then your bloom when you fire is that much further out which means you stay spotted longer and that can make running away problematic.  Is the extra range worth it?   It's not to me.    

• Cool 2

[70]
Members
1,244 posts
6,855 battles

I concur, 12km Yugu is essential. I ran smoke on Yugu because the torpedo reload was manageable, while being able to disengage is essential.

However, I only played it for 52 games, with 67.31% WR, back in 2018/2019 meta, so it's not like I have overwhelming amounts of experience in the thing recently.

Edited by Guardian54

[HEROS]
Members
1,992 posts
17,635 battles
35 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

I concur, 12km Yugu is essential. I ran smoke on Yugu because the torpedo reload was manageable, while being able to disengage is essential.

However, I only played it for 52 games, with 67.31% WR, back in 2018/2019 meta, so it's not like I have overwhelming amounts of experience in the thing recently.

67.31% WR.. yea, ya know you suck and I must kill you now! *grump*

I hate "naturals"  only very recently started going unicum and super unicum.  and still need to make up a several hundred game delta over all to punch into the overall 50% WR zone...

• Haha 1

[70]
Members
1,244 posts
6,855 battles
7 hours ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

I hate "naturals"

I'm far from a Natural, my Kagero's like 51% and my Akatsuki play was far worse, it took time to develop the experience to have an idea where the battleships were likely to go and to learn how to aim torpedoes in "will likely get at least one hit" ways (unless enemy is going straight line max speed already, usually it's "just ahead of where indicator says, just behind, and a bit further behind if you have a third rack, your spreads should overlap very little if at all"). At least I had gunnery reasonably down from the start (but had to develop an instinct to just run and NOT shoot if spotted by an enemy DD)

Speaking of which, I invite you to look at the thought experiment linked in my signature.

[HEROS]
Members
1,992 posts
17,635 battles

check this out, you may just enjoy it...This was a fubuki in an asymmetric battle a few days back...  May well illustrate much!  Though really, it was just a whopping fun match!