Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Laynester

USS California

5 comments in this topic

Members
37 posts
11,824 battles

I bought California this morning. I added Ashley as Captain. I selected Basic and Expert Marksman. Anti Aircraft remained 87 after upgrades.

Members
37 posts
11,824 battles
21 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Expert Marksman is not going to help your AA at all.  

21 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

Expert Marksman is not going to help your AA at all.  

Sorry. Advanced fire. the 2 skills that are supposed to increase rate of fire and range. California started with AA of 87 and after adds it stayed 87. 

[HELLS]
Members
2,849 posts
31,628 battles

If they had given her Arizona-like dispersion, it would have been an automatic buy for me. With what she has, I'll pass on her, especially at T7.

[SYN]
Supertester
299 posts
22,127 battles

Ship ratings provide an overly simplified summary of a ship's characteristics - there are just too many variables to comfortably squish into a single representative number. It is far better to click on the bars to trigger the drop-down information which you then mouse over to provide visible stat changes when upgrades and modules are mounted and skills are trained. For example, anything that increases the turret traverse rate of the main battery tends to increase the Artillery rating on ships, and the opposite is true as well. However, this may be counteracted by other benefits or nerfs that come with mounting the same upgrade, such as Main Battery Modification 2 in the 6th upgrade slot - this upgrade reduces your turret traverse speed by 13% (making them turn slower) while also reducing gun reload time by 12% (making them reload faster). When you choose to mount this upgrade on T9-T10 ships, it will generally show the Artillery rating increasing by 1, which makes it look like a net buff, but the nerf to turret traverse speed is completely lost in translation - you have to look at the details to see what exactly has happened to the numbers. Other upgrades such as Propulsion Modification 1 does not increase the Maneuverability rating even though it provides a significant boost when moving from 0 knots in either direction.

On the subject of AA skills, it is prudent to know what to go for in this current meta to avoid wasting your hard-earned skill points. Basic Firing Training(BFT) offers a net 10% buff in AA DPS (constant damage to planes per tick), as well as reducing the reload time of the secondary battery by 10% (they fire faster). Advanced Firing Training(AFT) increases the damage dealt by flak clouds only by 15%, and increases the firing range of your secondary battery by 20%. AFT is therefore more situational than BFT because the damage buff is predicated on the enemy CV flying their planes into the flak clouds your AA throws up, and if they are able to dodge those, the damage buff becomes irrelevant, and the damage you deal to enemy planes then comes solely from your AA DPS, which is buffed by BFT. If you do not value the increase in secondary battery firing range that AFT provides (i.e. if you are not looking to run a secondary battery build for your ship), then spending 4 points is a very steep price for this skill, and you are better served by going for survivability skills such as Concealment Expert and Fire Prevention, because carriers are not the only ships you'll be facing in the game. 

Sign in to follow this