You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
celticboy27

California Catapult Plane Invisible?

12 comments in this topic

[WHEE]
Members
150 posts
3,999 battles

Just got California and neither her spotting plane nor catapult fighter appear either in port or in game.

Its purely visual - the consumable works fine and the planes buzz overhead like they’re supposed to. Just not visible on the ship itself. 

I don't know if this was intentional - but it seems pretty strange if it was.

shot-20.07.03_07.36.31-0235.jpg

Edited by celticboy27
Added photo.

Members
1,435 posts
1,863 battles

Maybe it's for the better, every now and then you see the plane take a direct hit but you can still launch it.

[CVA16]
Members
6,489 posts
20,119 battles

Condolences on your purchase.

Looks like somebody missed a bit of animation programing. The starboard rear gun tub looks like it is missing something too.

edit-maybe there is a 20mm gun shield in there kind of blending into the tub wall

Edited by Sabot_100

[WHEE]
Members
150 posts
3,999 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Condolences on your purchase.

Looks like somebody missed a bit of animation programing. The starboard rear gun tub looks like it is missing something too.

edit-maybe there is a 20mm gun shield in there kind of blending into the tub wall

Yeah it’s...disappointing to say the least. I can make it work, but is that really what you want from a premium? “I can make it work”? It’s just a shame. 

[CVA16]
Members
6,489 posts
20,119 battles
26 minutes ago, celticboy27 said:

Yeah it’s...disappointing to say the least. I can make it work, but is that really what you want from a premium? “I can make it work”? It’s just a shame. 

So were you a "Had to have it no matter what" or a "Pulled the trigger too fast before reading the reviews" kind of purchaser?

Edited by Sabot_100

[CVA16]
Members
6,489 posts
20,119 battles
2 hours ago, black_hull4 said:

Maybe it's for the better, every now and then you see the plane take a direct hit but you can still launch it.

IRL no captain is going to have a fueled up aircraft sitting on his deck when going into battle.

On the other hand, Big Gulps hold more than what they put on these catapult aircraft. You get less than 2 minutes of flight time on a typical launch. IRL any such aircraft could be launched before battle be airborne for 30 minutes easy.

On the other hand, how exactly is it that these planes are landing back on the ship to be refueled and eventually relaunched? That's one helluva pilot! IRL the ships had to stop and recover their planes.

WG physics.

[WHEE]
Members
150 posts
3,999 battles
54 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

So were you a "Had to have it no matter what" or a "Pulled the trigger too fast before reading the reviews" kind of purchaser?

More of the former. I’m a historical nerd, and an active duty US Navy SWO who yearns for glory days long past of USN Battleships. 

I was warned. I still think she’s beautiful and I’ve had some good rounds in her, but the devs seriously could have done so much better and it wouldn’t have cost them anything.

Like even if they’re so gung-ho about a slower reload time for whatever reason, they could’ve given her CO’s speed retention or a gimmick consumable. Like she’s an AA ship right? Give her Def AA maybe? I dunno. It’s just sad. 

[CVA16]
Members
6,489 posts
20,119 battles
2 minutes ago, celticboy27 said:

they could’ve given her CO’s speed retention or a gimmick consumable.

This would go a long way for all the slow US BBs. Accept that WG isn't going to give them great speed BUT give them the ability to keep that speed almost whatever they do. Even give them better acceleration so they can hit top speed faster. Just have to remember they are flying the stars and bars, not the hammer and sickle so....

[WHEE]
Members
150 posts
3,999 battles
5 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

This would go a long way for all the slow US BBs. Accept that WG isn't going to give them great speed BUT give them the ability to keep that speed almost whatever they do. Even give them better acceleration so they can hit top speed faster. Just have to remember they are flying the stars and bars, not the hammer and sickle so....

Couldn’t have said it better myself. 

Members
1,435 posts
1,863 battles
On 7/3/2020 at 11:56 AM, Sabot_100 said:

IRL the ships had to stop and recover their planes.

Actually, the planes just went the the same speed as the ship(on water of course), the sailors swung a crane out and put it back on the catapult. Never needed to slow down.

Members
1,435 posts
1,863 battles
On 7/3/2020 at 11:56 AM, Sabot_100 said:

IRL no captain is going to have a fueled up aircraft sitting on his deck when going into battle.

Ohhhh boy...I assume you don't know what happened at Guadalcanal? The results were a bit...explosive.

[CVA16]
Members
6,489 posts
20,119 battles
27 minutes ago, black_hull4 said:

Actually, the planes just went the the same speed as the ship(on water of course), the sailors swung a crane out and put it back on the catapult. Never needed to slow down.

Probably didn't have to stop completely but not doing 30kts either.