You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Markk9

Zao or Minotaur

20 comments in this topic

[BB35]
Members
517 posts
3,836 battles

Which ship to get? I play the Hindy and Venezia at TX and do ok. Just looking to spend some XP and silver this weekend.

[WORX]
Members
10,589 posts
18,482 battles
2 minutes ago, Markk9 said:

Which ship to get? I play the Hindy and Venezia at TX and do ok. Just looking to spend some XP and silver this weekend.

For this^^^... ZAO..

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

They are BOTH free for playing, so just play and get them for free, save your XP for ships that require it and it only.

[BB35]
Members
517 posts
3,836 battles
3 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

They are BOTH free for playing, so just play and get them for free, save your XP for ships that require it and it only.

How do I get the for free to play?

[WORX]
Members
10,589 posts
18,482 battles
Just now, Markk9 said:

By playing them on PTS server...

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles

I assume your credit situation is not sufficiently good that you can grab both at once, or you wouldn't be asking. 

I'd say Minotaur, because I have her and quite like her, but then again I'm only at the Mogami in the IJN line with no particular driving urge to push on higher ATM. 

Are you spending SHIP XP, or FREE XP? Because if you're spending Free XP, DON'T. Minotaur can be a difficult ship to get used to, and Neptune is a necessary intermediate stage.

[BB35]
Members
517 posts
3,836 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I assume your credit situation is not sufficiently good that you can grab both at once, or you wouldn't be asking. 

I'd say Minotaur, because I have her and quite like her, but then again I'm only at the Mogami in the IJN line with no particular driving urge to push on higher ATM. 

Are you spending SHIP XP, or FREE XP? Because if you're spending Free XP, DON'T. Minotaur can be a difficult ship to get used to, and Neptune is a necessary intermediate stage.

I could get them both, but that leave me with very little silver.

I'm not much of CL player, much prefer the 203 guns of the CA's. I have also thought of waiting and getting the Alaska for free XP, I have 800K+ now. I play the Yoshino and it's and interesting ship with the 305+ guns.

Members
6,621 posts
20,599 battles
23 minutes ago, Markk9 said:

Zao is timeless, can't go wrong.

MInotaur;;; I would highly recommend grinding the line if you haven't. Once you hit the Edinburgh you may find that that type of playstyle isn't for you. The Mino is not a mistake friendly ship, might be the least mistake friendly ship in the game.

[USMC-]
Members
290 posts
8,022 battles

Mino is too dependent on actually having a good team.

[ARGSY]
Members
19,962 posts
14,258 battles
1 minute ago, Markk9 said:

I have also thought of waiting and getting the Alaska for free XP, I have 800K+ now.

Yeah, save up for that so you have the option and can think about it with the resources actually in hand.

Don't use FXP on tech tree ships unless there is a particular reason you need to have it NOW. 

My way of looking at it would be this: with the Yoshino in hand, you already have a Tier 10 Japanese heavy cruiser and you should ask yourself whether rushing to the Zao is really necessary. Depending on what the answer is for you, it might be better to prioritize the Minotaur grind.

ON FXP-ing TO TECH TREE SHIPS:

The last T10 ship I FXP'd to was the Audacious, and by that time I'd already done two thirds of the Implacable grind and could have done the other third, but I wanted to finish the Swirski campaign before the Dockyard event started. I knew exactly why I wanted it in a hurry (having a T10 carrier gave access to a T9-10 spotting ribbons mission to farm), which captain I would put into it and why (Cunningham), and what I was willing to sacrifice to do that (the dubs for her permacamo, dubs to rip all of Shokaku's upgrade slots off, the credits from the sale of the Shokaku). My long-term rationale was that future campaigns - especially temporary ones - were only going to bring more of the same (the need for a T10 CV to do some things quickly); and that with no guarantee of when the FDR was coming out, whether it would be any good, what resource it was going to be for, and how much of it I would need, this was the best path through to my first T10 CV. 

I would have been prepared to FXP to Moskva if I had not managed to finish the grind before she became a T10 coal ship (but that proved unnecessary).

You should go through the same sort of thought-process checklist before you consider FXP-ing a tech tree ship.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,446 posts

well... imo and not based on any facts... in battles i've battled, it always seems a Zao is harder to kill than a Mino, in my experience. I have Mino, sold her and work with the USN cruisers at that tier. I don't feel the need for her at this time (sorry but it's true). I like knowing I can take her out if I want, but I just don't "want". 

USN cruisers, RU cruiser and the newer cruiser lines provide so many other options, well, its like the dream is actually more than the reality. 

There are others who love her (Mino) to death... every match. If I want RN, I fall back to my Belfast. 

[TBB]
Members
62 posts
19,460 battles

Will depend on your playstyle. Zao is great for kiting and playing at range. Wonderful fire damage farmer too as you rotate targets. If you're good at shell picking - it has a great AP broadside as well.

Mino is all about placement to get the good dps. Close enough to land the shells, far enough from the radar while dancing torps in the smoke. It can be a good radar boat since if you're spotted, you know a dd is in your radar range. Hold shells (usually) as you wait for the next round of smoke to be ready.

I love both, they are my (tech tree) favorite cruisers. 

[--O--]
Members
931 posts
1 hour ago, Markk9 said:

1. By playing them on PTS server

2. Grinding the lines to completion cost you nothing but time and truthfully with all the signals and flags available they go fast

Which is better is always subjective. Zao is a kiting fire breather if you enjoy staying in the back and needing someone to spot for you. It can take more punishment than mino but a good BB will delete you fast.

Mino is my largest DD!!!!! Yes I play it like a dd, push caps and flanks and try to be sneaky and cheeky. Played like that it is a ton of fun and can make dd's light cruisers go to the bottom fast and even a charging BB can eat all her torps with a fast turn. But dont let anyone see your sides or your dead.

Two completely different ships and play-styles. Both can be real fun and offer that difference to break up the monotony of the same play over and over.

[ALWC]
Members
1,179 posts
13,943 battles

Zao is a kite ship like Venezia and Hindy. Agility like the Venny. Amazing HE. To get the best out of her use her concealment and positioning to ambush. I use the IJN cruisers on the flanks and usually turn so I’m ready to kite or be chased. Always be turning and you are hard to hit or go quiet to escape and heal. That also allows you to drop torps onto advancing ships. Simply skill floor but a huge ceiling. 

Mino is a high floor high ceiling ship. Playing the RN CL line is critical. Mistakes are game ending. Div up with a cv for real fun

[WOLFG]
Members
849 posts

Zao is going to play similar to the ships you already have.  Mino will be a very different play style.  So, it depends on if you are feeling you want to hone the skills you already have or venture into something new.  As others have stated, go to PTS and try out the Mino.  It's unforgiving, but I find it allot of fun.  I think you will learn more about the game in general playing the Mino.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,012 posts
13,269 battles
2 hours ago, Markk9 said:

Depends on what you want to do:

Do you want to spend your life in smoke, living every second in fear of instant deletion, running between island and smoke patches as if your very WoWs life depends on it? (which it will)

Or do you want to run and gun with the wind in your face, and have the option to rain down holy fire or AP?

[-PVE-]
Members
588 posts

I have both Zao and Minotaur, and have unlocked their Unique Upgrades. I am a coop/PvE main and I find Minotaur very effective with that smoke. I also play some PvP, and I like Minotaur a bit more than Zao.

Having said that, Zao is an amazing ship. She's my 1st Tier X, and while she does not have smoke, she is very stealthy and nimble. Her torpedoes are particularly lethal.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,245 posts

I always test on the PTS before grinding a line. Even though some of my picks didn't pan out so well on the main server, they're still good ships, and I have no regrets.

I can't help you on your choice though because I didn't care for either ship. Not sayin' they're bad, just didn't suit me.