Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CapnCazuul

Brit BB accuracy

19 comments in this topic

[VAST_]
Members
228 posts

Do Brit BBs have better main battery accuracy than average? Also, is their AP worse than average? Any other general info on Brit main guns/ammo appreciated. 

Cheers

[Y0L0W]
Members
448 posts
9,702 battles
3 minutes ago, sirwill1972 said:

Do Brit BBs have better main battery accuracy than average?

No, British BB's have the same dispersion settings as German and American Battleships.

5 minutes ago, sirwill1972 said:

Also, is their AP worse than average?

Yes and no. British AP has lower than average damage per shell, but it does have a reduced arming time, so you will get less over pens on thinly armored targets such as cruisers.

6 minutes ago, sirwill1972 said:

Any other general info on Brit main guns/ammo appreciated. 

British BB's, contrary to other nations, generally spam HE due to the above-average damage per shell, high fire chance, and improved penetration. The main playstyle is mid to long-range and just sam HE, setting everything on fire. This playstyle is also supported by the poor armor scheme of Brit BB's as they are coated in 32 mm of plating, which means that they will eat HE damage like crazy. They also have shorter reloads than most other nations.

Expert loader is a good skill to have, as a good Brit BB caption will dynamically switch ammo types throughout a match much more than other nations.

Brit BB's also have improved heals up to Tier 9 and an insane super heal starting at Tier 9, like, 40K HP heal level. Its insane.

Hope this helps 

• Cool 2

[VAST_]
Members
228 posts
2 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

No, British BB's have the same dispersion settings as German and American Battleships.

Yes and no. British AP has lower than average damage per shell, but it does have a reduced arming time, so you will get less over pens on thinly armored targets such as cruisers.

British BB's, contrary to other nations, generally spam HE due to the above-average damage per shell, high fire chance, and improved penetration. The main playstyle is mid to long-range and just sam HE, setting everything on fire. This playstyle is also supported by the poor armor scheme of Brit BB's as they are coated in 32 mm of plating, which means that they will eat HE damage like crazy. They also have shorter reloads than most other nations.

Expert loader is a good skill to have, as a good Brit BB caption will dynamically switch ammo types throughout a match much more than other nations.

Brit BB's also have improved heals up to Tier 9 and an insane super heal starting at Tier 9, like, 40K HP heal level. Its insane.

Hope this helps 

Yes indeed, thanks for all the information. I do seem to do better with Warspite than with other ships but I guess it's maybe more due to the heal than the gunnery.

[EQRN]
Members
2,238 posts
20,494 battles

I find Brit BBs to be terribly designed by WG.  Yeah, there was the Mega Zao period,  but why WG felt the Monarch and Lion needed nerfing is beyond me.  I’m working on the upgrades for both Sovetsky Soyuz and Lion, the 2 ships are leagues apart.  The entire line is a sad representation for a pioneering battleship power.  Just not as pioneering as the Soviets, apparently  :cap_old:

• Cool 2

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,658 battles

Basically Queen Elizabeth and Monarch both have decent dispersion on their guns. IIRC Orion has fairly good dispersion on hers too. The rest of the line...ech. The Lion and the Conq have terrible accuracy on their guns, the Conq makes up for it by having 12 of them but the Lion sorely loses out by only having 9. I'd even go so far to say that the Lion has the worst accuracy of BB guns at tier 9 now that the Germans got a buff to theirs recently, if not she's definitely in the same ballpark as the FdG.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,867 posts
25,982 battles
1 minute ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Basically Queen Elizabeth and Monarch both have decent dispersion on their guns. IIRC Orion has fairly good dispersion on hers too. The rest of the line...ech. The Lion and the Conq have terrible accuracy on their guns, the Conq makes up for it by having 12 of them but the Lion sorely loses out by only having 9. I'd even go so far to say that the Lion has the worst accuracy of BB guns at tier 9 now that the Germans got a buff to theirs recently, if not she's definitely in the same ballpark as the FdG.

I remember experimenting a bit with Conqueror when she was new.

At first I was using the Main Battery - Stealth - Survival Hybrid Build.  It was successful for me.  Keep in mind this was still knee-deep in the RTS CV days.  But the issue for me was CVs coming after my Conqueror and did very little against the aircraft.  I spent the doubloons and switched to an AA Build.  An important change was dropping ASM1 for AAGM2.  The AA became quite good for the RTS CV days but the gun accuracy became atrocious.

In the RTS CV days I did lots of AA Builds on BBs that had the foundation of good AA to build upon.  I dealt with the worse main battery accuracy.  I mean, I went AA Build Gneisenau, dropping ASM1 for AAGM2, and I was very happy.  But Conqueror without ASM1, especially the typical engagement ranges at Tier X, was not a pleasant experience.  After a number of battles I spent doubloons again to go back to my original Conkeke build.

[VAST_]
Members
228 posts
6 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

I find Brit BBs to be terribly designed by WG.  Yeah, there was the Mega Zao period,  but why WG felt the Monarch and Lion needed nerfing is beyond me.  I’m working on the upgrades for both Sovetsky Soyuz and Lion, the 2 ships are leagues apart.  The entire line is a sad representation for a pioneering battleship power.  Just not as pioneering as the Soviets, apparently  :cap_old:

I've had the game for about a year and haven't been able to play or research the game as much as I'd like. With that said, it seems pretty clear that the relative historical strengths of the Royal Navy are not part of the game. Still, it is a lot of fun and there isn't anything else really, is there? Meantime, never mind maneuvers, go straight at 'em!

[PVE]
Members
1,147 posts
9,609 battles

They at least hit things at range (looking at you FDG). Their AP is good and their HE is great for when the reds aren't kind enough to show you their sides.

But I found them to be less accurate than average and a little frustrating. I didn't keep any of the tech tree ships, but I enjoy Warspite and Thunderer. I liked North Carolina, Richy, and Amagi better than Monarch. I liked Iowa, Alsace, and Izumo better than Lion. After three disappointments in a row I couldn't bring myself to bother with the Conqueror.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,268 posts
12,187 battles
2 hours ago, SirPent13 said:

reduced arming time, so you will get less over pens on thinly armored targets such as cruisers.

I thought that they removed that (or mostly did) when they were trying to nerf BB AP vs DD's because they actually had super effective AP vs them. 

Members
204 posts
5,995 battles

From my experience playing British BBs I can say:

1. Premium/special brit BBs are different from the main line, their AP usually works differently and their HE may or may not be as powerful. IE the Nelson has powerful AP because it gets 406MM guns at t7, something other brit BBs do not get until t9, thus the Nelson plays differently. 

2. The silver line Brit BB AP fuse time (how long after the shell hits the ship before the shell detonates) is half of most other nation's fuse time. This was suppose to make the AP better against cruisers and worse against BBs, as it would be harder to make it to the BB citadel before it goes boom. As it turns out you can use your great stealth to get close enough to other BBs to citadel them anyway.

3. The sigma value (how likely your shells are to land near the center of where you are aiming) is usually lower than other mid-long range BBs, and they don't get special mods to improve dispersion like the Americans. This is good. It enables your HE to spread out more and set fire to more places on a ship instead of all hitting one spot and setting one fire. For comparison, the Republic gets 2.0 sigma value on its guns and yammy gets 2.1 sigma, the Monty gets either 1.8 or 1.9, but can slot a special dispersion mode to reduce its dispersion by 11%. The conq get 1.8 sigma and no special mode, although the area where its shells will land is the same shape as the Germans and Americans.

• Cool 2

[VAST_]
Members
228 posts
18 minutes ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

1. Premium/special brit BBs are different from the main line, their AP usually works differently and their HE may or may not be as powerful. IE the Nelson has powerful AP because it gets 406MM guns at t7, something other brit BBs do not get until t9, thus the Nelson plays differently. 

2. The silver line Brit BB AP fuse time (how long after the shell hits the ship before the shell detonates) is half of most other nation's fuse time. This was suppose to make the AP better against cruisers and worse against BBs, as it would be harder to make it to the BB citadel before it goes boom. As it turns out you can use your great stealth to get close enough to other BBs to citadel them anyway.

3. The sigma value (how likely your shells are to land near the center of where you are aiming) is usually lower than other mid-long range BBs, and they don't get special mods to improve dispersion like the Americans. This is good. It enables your HE to spread out more and set fire to more places on a ship instead of all hitting one spot and setting one fire. For comparison, the Republic gets 2.0 sigma value on its guns and yammy gets 2.1 sigma, the Monty gets either 1.8 or 1.9, but can slot a special dispersion mode to reduce its dispersion by 11%. The conq get 1.8 sigma and no special mode, although the area where its shells will land is the same shape as the Germans and Americans.

Excellent info.

Members
907 posts
15 minutes ago, JimmyTheRealPirate said:

British BBs seem to be made for back-of-the-line fire. They are not meant to get in close to unleash secondary fury. It can be a fun play style, but I find it a bit boring. I have the Thunderer, which I mostly enjoy. I got as far as the Lion and felt bad for my team: the poor accuracy kind of made me a waste of a BB, regardless of how hard I tried. 

British BBs were probably the first line that WG released that could be considered a mistake. It ushered us into this HE spam meta.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
Members
6,575 posts
19,762 battles

I play QE, Hood, and KGV a good bit and find they are very nice ships.  QE and Hood I shoot mostly AP.

KGV is very situational between AP and HE.  Based on what I've read here, I probably use KGV AP more than most.  It might just be 14 inchers, but it seems to have good punch.  Suffice to say, it's probably the most versatile T7 BB in terms of matchmaking because you never feel like you're up against anything you can't work against.  I've had many T9 games where she shines.  And the super heal is very nice if it can be managed properly.

QE has good power and still has a bit of the AA aura it had before the CV re-work.  Very good AA for tier.

Hood has the HP and speed to be the number one kite BB at tier.  In this regard, despite her somewhat problematic 15 inchers, her speed makes her dangerous to reds, especially on the flanks.

• Cool 1

Members
13 posts
406 battles
23 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I play QE, Hood, and KGV a good bit and find they are very nice ships.  QE and Hood I shoot mostly AP.

KGV is very situational between AP and HE.  Based on what I've read here, I probably use KGV AP more than most.  It might just be 14 inchers, but it seems to have good punch.  Suffice to say, it's probably the most versatile T7 BB in terms of matchmaking because you never feel like you're up against anything you can't work against.  I've had many T9 games where she shines.  And the super heal is very nice if it can be managed properly.

QE has good power and still has a bit of the AA aura it had before the CV re-work.  Very good AA for tier.

Hood has the HP and speed to be the number one kite BB at tier.  In this regard, despite her somewhat problematic 15 inchers, her speed makes her dangerous to reds, especially on the flanks.

Don't forget the Duke of York.....plays like a mini Conqueror.....:cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
448 posts
9,702 battles
15 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

I thought that they removed that (or mostly did) when they were trying to nerf BB AP vs DD's because they actually had super effective AP vs them. 

According to Proships, it is still 15ms instead of the standard 33ms.

Members
4,133 posts
14,795 battles

The Thunderer is niccccee. Got it after the coupon reset. 80 games in, it's a winning machine. Seems accurate. Splats cruisers real good.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,268 posts
12,187 battles
17 minutes ago, SirPent13 said:

According to Proships, it is still 15ms instead of the standard 33ms.

I'll take your word for it because I don't feel like trying to dig through 2 years of patch notes and proposed changes.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
Members
6,575 posts
19,762 battles
20 hours ago, Witzulu_1 said:

Don't forget the Duke of York.....plays like a mini Conqueror.....:cap_rambo:

I only play DoY for style points or the motif.  Just can't beat the DPM on KGV.

[UN1]
Members
1,385 posts
4,471 battles
On 7/2/2020 at 10:42 PM, sirwill1972 said:

Do Brit BBs have better main battery accuracy than average? Also, is their AP worse than average? Any other general info on Brit main guns/ammo appreciated. 

Cheers

I'll keep it super simple.

British battleships have both effective HE and AP, and their accuracy reflects that. This is a like built around micro-decision play in that you have to make a decision which shell is best to use. 

Their AP penetration is relatively average until the Lion/Conqueror's 419mm, which then it's quite good. 

Their accuracy is better for spreading out HE shells across a target. But it's still good enough for some devastating AP salvos. 

Except for the Nelson, British premiums are more AP focused and their dispersion tables are different. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this