Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

lost in killer whale..........why?

16 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,329 posts
13,743 battles

I know why we lost. With the exit on the west side a Bayern & a Nurnberg hid behind the island & sniped at the red ships. 

What I am asking is why did they stay behind. Sometimes I wonder if some people play to cause grief. Killer Whale is easy to win, you almost have to try to loose.

The rant is over & I'm off to try again, hoping for a better group.

[WORX]
Members
13,349 posts
20,181 battles

All you need is one ship to the exit while everyone else farms and dies... (easier said then done in some cases).

It all comes down to

• Fear
    • OR
  • Greed.

Pick your pick... This can fall under gambling as well.

[RLGN]
Members
16,240 posts
28,133 battles

So many times the only reason for a win is me bulling through to the exit in my Ark Royal, while everyone else tries desperately to die.

There have been rare times where it’s so obvious the team is clueless, or deliberately trying to lose, I just sail down into that SW corner and farm from there until the inevitable end.

Some don’t know or don’t care about a win always paying better than an ‘awesome’ loss.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

So many times the only reason for a win is me bulling through to the exit in my Ark Royal, while everyone else tries desperately to die.

There have been rare times where it’s so obvious the team is clueless, or deliberately trying to lose, I just sail down into that SW corner and farm from there until the inevitable end.

Some don’t know or don’t care about a win always paying better than an ‘awesome’ loss.

You know a team is just sad when the CV has to just go CHAAAAARGE and win it despite them trying their best to lose.

Sadly, I know that pain all too well.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,522 battles

Killer Whale should be impossible not to five-star. Killer Whale, not Narai, should be the uber-farm.

Time and again, though, I'm desperately pleading for people to get the hell out of the harbour, pinging the exit circle, telling them where to go and why, and they just sit there and do sweet eff ay. Either they don't comprehend written English or they're not watching battle chat or they're so mind-numbingly stupid that how they managed to get to Tier 6 is a mystery. 

And yes, I've seen five-star wins blown to a loss because people stayed far from the circle to farm.

The standard used to be higher than this. It's bizarre. It's as if Hoperations and the ops-division in-game chat channel have sucked away all the good players and there's not enough left to leaven the amateurs.

• Boring 1

Members
1,078 posts
12,859 battles
10 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The standard used to be higher than this. It's bizarre. It's as if Hoperations and the ops-division in-game chat channel have sucked away all the good players and there's not enough left to leaven the amateurs.

Someone brought this up a couple months ago.  It may well be the case.  Perhaps enough folks got sick of the trouble getting many stars on Newport that they have decided to join the pros.

Also, I have noticed that ever since the IKEA destroyer event, when someone brings a Vasteras to pretty much any Operation, they are the first to die and bottom of the leaderboard.  That ship is just terrible in operations!

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,457 posts
10,738 battles
1 minute ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

Someone brought this up a couple months ago.  It may well be the case.  Perhaps enough folks got sick of the trouble getting many stars on Newport that they have decided to join the pros.

Also, I have noticed that ever since the IKEA destroyer event, when someone brings a Vasteras to pretty much any Operation, they are the first to die and bottom of the leaderboard.  That ship is just terrible in operations!

Vasteras is really, really bad for ops where even if you have a full div and take 3 Vasteras, they are still unable to take out the two BBs that spawns up north in Aegis. In fact it gets uncertain if two Vasteras are able to even take out a single BB up north so you have a third Vasteras there to ensure at least one BB dies.

It's horrible.

Members
616 posts
4,419 battles

I occasionally got surprised by DD play in any of the OPs, usually multiple DDs means a low star or failed Scenario.  It is rare at least at the times I played to see good DD players participate.  There are a few, and I usually know by the name if we have someone we can count on or not.  Carriers actually do better, at least they stay alive (mostly) and spot even when they don't contribute.  Judging by the level of play I saw in Ops the carrier :etc_swear: was not a success.  I wonder why more of these guys don't hone their skill in COOP before jumping into Scenarios?  When you get a good carrier player they can carry a bad team for sure, I wish there were more of those.  Maybe I just played at the wrong time of day.  :Smile_sad:

Even if I thought we couldn't win,  I wouldn't type it, I just hope for the best and try to carry my weight, maybe a little more if needed, and have fun.  But 3 Vasteras, that would be hard to take without some type of  retort.  Like what were you thinking! Or did you really think this was a good idea?  Maybe you were looking for something challenging to do tonight?  :Smile_sceptic:

[4HIM]
Members
3,294 posts
15,702 battles

Had two losses in it lasts night.

First one, we had a Buddy AFK for the first 5 minutes.  Two died before even getting into the outer part of the harbor.  One DD at the start of the match sailed up to where the north exit pops up and waited until the BB spawned.  I was the only one shooting the Konig, which eventually killed me.  CV and Pepsi sat in the outer part of the harbor and farmed the transports, ignoring the BB's until the bots killed them both.  Game ended with the Konig still tied to the dock alive and well.  

Another was the typical one where players try to farm and ignore the exit.  A Warspite sailed right up to it then turned south right before crossing the line ensuring a loss.  

[COSTA]
Members
238 posts
9,071 battles

I’m not a big CV player but I recently started going to it in Killer Whale.

It’s the one class I can make up for the teams poor decisions/play (except heading to the exit).  Example: if no one heads north I can still save the harbor star by killing those ships and have time for the NW battleships.

[PVE]
Members
565 posts
11,023 battles

The flow of (most) operations is so regular that people can hit ships before they have been spotted. Which leads us to:

poor positioning. poor prioritizing. poor planning. poor execution. Just like regular game modes.

For KW that usually is the people who go into the bay all the way to shore, and then they are horribly out of place.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,457 posts
10,738 battles

Using CV in Killer Whale gives you the most control in "herding" your teammates towards the objective.

Primarily you target ships that are out of reach of your teammates' guns  that also includes transports in the early stages of the operation so that you remove the temptation of them going out of their way to get the transports while ignoring the BBs. It is far faster to eliminate the transports quickly and leave the team with little choice but to collectively shoot at the BBs than to try to kill both BBs yourself while everyone else wastes time going around the island to shoot at some transports

Members
1,078 posts
12,859 battles

It is great when your CV does not move from spawn, and when the enemy reinforcement parties start approaching, suddenly "request support", and are quickly killed.  Have you played this scenario?

• Funny 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,974 posts
14,437 battles
On 7/3/2020 at 6:58 PM, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

The strong suit of the Ikea DD's is their AA.  The weak suit is their torpedoes.  Can barely sink a cruiser with a full salvo.  BB's and CV's survive one or even two torpedo salvos.
At high tiers they are really annoying to CV players.  At Tier-5, they're only a threat to other DD's.
Without smoke and with "average" top speed, they're a challenge to play vs. other ships. 
But versus a CV, they are in their element.  The AA works over the planes and the ship's maneuvers dodge most of the aerial ordnance.

[CVA16]
Members
6,489 posts
20,119 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The strong suit of the Ikea DD's is their AA.  The weak suit is their torpedoes.  Can barely sink a cruiser with a full salvo.  BB's and CV's survive one or even two torpedo salvos.
At high tiers they are really annoying to CV players.  At Tier-5, they're only a threat to other DD's.
Without smoke and with "average" top speed, they're a challenge to play vs. other ships. 
But versus a CV, they are in their element.  The AA works over the planes and the ship's maneuvers dodge most of the aerial ordnance.

Which means they are ill-suited to the scenarios. Bot CVs are generally not a big threat. They have trouble hitting most targets (currently, they could always get better).  What you need is ships that can kill the more numerous reds faster than they spawn. Vasteras guns are nothing spectacular. Torps reload fast but are weak, requiring a second pass to kill a target. Which means it is exposed to more return fire. Vasteras has no smoke so will be hammered the whole game. It doesn't have the HP to handle that.

DDs are generally not the best ships for scenarios unless they are driven by good players. (even then, too many can be a problem) Vasteras would take a unicum to make it work.

Unfortunately, it mostly those that are not good with DDs that think bringing a Vasteras is a good choice.

Sign in to follow this