You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HamAndCheez

Article: Most Americans think esports should be included in the Olympics

45 comments in this topic

[WOLF7]
Members
233 posts

Thought I would post this for my first thread on the forum. This is an article I came across that has quotes from the World of Warships regional publishing director as well as an interesting and eye-catching graphic put together by WoWs. I thought it was interesting that WoWs was featured in a a major news outlet and just wanted to share. Enjoy.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/01/large-number-of-americans-think-esports-will-one-day-surpass-sports-in-society/

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,205 posts
14,359 battles

It's a temporary blip, entirely related to the current state of society and a certain very small micro-organism.

• Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,740 posts

The Olympics are for athletic and sporting events.  

Not video games. 

But then I usually just roll my eyes at "esports", so I probably don't get it.  :Smile_smile:

• Funny 1

[O_O]
Members
674 posts

"Conducted by OnePoll on behalf of World of Warships ahead of National Video Game Day, the survey also found 56 percent of those surveyed said that it takes more skills to play video games than contact sports."

:cap_haloween:

• Haha 2

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

"the survey also found 56 percent of those surveyed said that it takes more skills to play video games than contact sports."

Heh.....no.

Obviously the 2000 people they talked to were mostly gamers, and honestly, mostly gamers who probably never played a contact sport.

[HINON]
Members
13,286 posts
1 minute ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

"the survey also found 56 percent of those surveyed said that it takes more skills to play video games than contact sports."

Heh.....no.

Obviously the 2000 people they talked to were mostly gamers, and honestly, mostly gamers who probably never played a contact sport.

Clearly they have never watched curling. :cap_cool:

• Funny 1

[WOLF7]
Members
233 posts

I see the value in looking at esports in the way that this article approaches it as being that esports may provide a way for people with physical disabilities to compete in a skilled competition of some kind when they would not be able to participate in a contact sport. One good takeaway from the article is that gaming has become more widely accepted than in years past and that it helps develop skills such as strategy, problem solving, hand/eye co-ordination, etc. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,740 posts
Just now, HamAndCheez said:

I see the value in looking at esports in the way that this article approaches it as being that esports may provide a way for people with physical disabilities to compete in a skilled competition of some kind when they would not be able to participate in a contact sport. One good takeaway from the article is that gaming has become more widely accepted than in years past and that it helps develop skills such as strategy, problem solving, hand/eye co-ordination, etc. 

That's all good, and an international competition focused on video games would be fine by me, to each their own. 

But it's not the Olympics, and besides, the IOC is so corrupt and parasitic at this point that they'll soon be facing their own problems, not sure the video game industry wants to get tied up in MORE scandal.  

[RST]
Members
835 posts
21,363 battles
2 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

:Smile_ohmy:  How could you even take this seriously?  'Most Americans' are smarter than this ( I hope).

'Most Americans think...'  I have a strong opinion on that, but I will be kind and let it go.

The idea is not far-fetched - in 1999 The International Olympic Committee recognized chess as a sport, and it was even an exhibition event at the Sydney Olympics.  But it has always failed to gain entry.  Why?  Because it is a game and not a sport.

I love chess.  I was an international tournament chess player in the 1980's.  I played all over the world.  Chess tournament play is intense and grueling.  It takes a physical toll on your body.  But even I can see it is not a sport.  It's a game.  There's a difference.

Chess already has its own Olympics - the Olympiad - where players from countries all over the world compete as teams against each other for national pride and medals.  eSports should do the same.  Maybe they already do?  I don't know, I don't follow it.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,066 posts

Funny when these things come out that say "MOST Americans think" No one I know can name a single person that was asked that question.  It's called leading marketing. Ignore it.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,138 posts
4,090 battles

Run that again right before the Superbowl and see what the results are...

Any guy can sit in front of his keyboard and git gud at pressing buttons and clicking. I have little doubt that if I invested the time I could be a 65% WR unicum. But I have a life so I don't. If I decided I wanted to be a pro baseball player, well it's too late now. But even if I had practiced constantly since 5, there's still an excellent chance that I physically am not capable of playing on that level. That's what the Olympics shows, people who can do things most of us physically can't. There's a big difference between being good at something because you've spent a lot of time doing it and being good at something because you've spent a lot of time doing it AND you're physically gifted to excel at that thing.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
233 posts
2 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Funny when these things come out that say "MOST Americans think" No one I know can name a single person that was asked that question.  It's called leading marketing. Ignore it.

I agree with you that a survey of 2,000 Americans is not "most Americans". I did think the article made some valid points, however. I also thought that it was interesting that World of Warships is "mainstream" enough to have made the news. Especially when other MMOs are so much more popular and prevalent in the news these days. 

[GLF]
Members
1,017 posts
16,238 battles

How would the esports gamers pass the necessary drug testing for olympic competition without being on team russia or team china  ?    :Smile_trollface:

[PIMPS]
Members
1,496 posts
22 minutes ago, Captain_Rawhide said:

:Smile_ohmy:  How could you even take this seriously?  'Most Americans' are smarter than this ( I hope).

Beg to differ.

Members
1,438 posts
17,134 battles
18 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

and that it helps develop skills such as strategy, problem solving, hand/eye co-ordination, etc. 

It does??? You'd never know that by watching most of the random games around here. :Smile_teethhappy:

[TBW]
Members
10,292 posts
17,487 battles

The Elympics. Which games would be in the Winter Elympics?

Members
1,438 posts
17,134 battles
5 minutes ago, AnimaL21 said:

How would the esports gamers pass the necessary drug testing for olympic competition without being on team russia or team china  ?    :Smile_trollface:

Maybe that's the problem with my WR. I need to start consuming more "performance enhancing" drugs. It's a good thing that the 420 falls into that category. Pass the pipe please I need to improve my game. :crab:

Members
9,159 posts
11,181 battles

Having played contact sports, other skill based sports, and eSports, I can tell you this: eSports are soooooooo not remotely close to Olympic type sports.

[GLF]
Members
1,017 posts
16,238 battles
Just now, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

It's a good thing that the 420 falls into that category. Pass the pipe please I need to improve my game. :crab:

Kinda like why disc-golf isn't in either, lol.  

• Funny 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,679 battles

If Curling is in the Olympics...Anything can be in the Olympics

Members
6,621 posts
20,679 battles

Kickball

Red rover 

And Sardines, my all time favorite. Only one person hides, the remainder each find that person one by one and hide with him until only one is left who is still looking.

Dodgeball and wiffleball should also be in.