You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheArc

Gaming loot boxes: UK call for 'immediate' gambling regulation

13 comments in this topic

[FORM]
Members
1,638 posts
11,366 battles

I assume this has to impact the EU server, but will it impact the others as well?  https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53253195

Loot boxes: Lords call for 'immediate' gambling regulation

The House of Lords Gambling Committee says video game loot boxes should be regulated under gambling laws. The Lords say they should be classified as "games of chance" - which would bring them under the Gambling Act 2005. "If a product looks like gambling and feels like gambling, it should be regulated as gambling," their report says.

And they warn that such a change should not wait.

"The government must act immediately to bring loot boxes within the remit of gambling legislation and regulation," said a statement accompanying the report. Loot boxes have long been controversial in video games. They offer players a chance at a randomised reward when opened. To further complicate matters, boxes can often be bought for real money, and the rewards can sometimes be traded.

Lord Grade, chairman of the committee, told BBC Breakfast that lots of other countries have already started to regulate loot boxes because "they can see the dangers" which is teaching "kids to gamble". He said the Gambling Act was "way behind what was actually happening in the market" but he added that the "overwhelming majority" of the report's recommendations "could be enacted today" as they don't require legislation. Click link to read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53253195

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,150 posts
14,332 battles

WG hasn't had event boxes for an age because of similar legislation in Belgium.

It's why WOWS went to the system we have now, where we can effectively see the first card on the pile and elect not to draw it.

• Cool 2

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,636 posts
4,999 battles
6 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's why WOWS went to the system we have now, where we can effectively see the first card on the pile and elect not to draw it.

If actually challenged I doubt this method would hold up to scrutiny.  It is just pushing the gamble back one step.  Sure, you know what you are getting isn't what you want, but by getting it you turn the next card, and that might be what you actually want.  The gamble is still there.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts
2 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

If actually challenged I doubt this method would hold up to scrutiny.  It is just pushing the gamble back one step.  Sure, you know what you are getting isn't what you want, but by getting it you turn the next card, and that might be what you actually want.  The gamble is still there.

It's a line that would hold up or not depending on which court it was in, I think. 

(IANAL) 

[SNGNS]
Members
487 posts
6,035 battles
36 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

funnily enough we are getting crates again for the german cvs.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,150 posts
14,332 battles
1 minute ago, TobTorp said:

funnily enough we are getting crates again for the german cvs.

Yeah, but the distribution system is different. I'll be very surprised if they are openly for sale; I reckon we'll be earning most if not all of them in missions.

[SWBH]
Members
4 posts

Sad state of affairs when everything, has to be regulated in this world. Because people are too stupid, to think for themselves....

Edited by ConcentricArc

[HINON]
Members
13,268 posts
2 minutes ago, ConcentricArc said:

Sad state of affairs when everything, has to be regulated in this world. Because people are too stupid, to think for themselves....

Personal responsibility is so old fashioned.

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,636 posts
4,999 battles
44 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

It's a line that would hold up or not depending on which court it was in, I think. 

(IANAL) 

Except in this case we're talking about legislators writing new regulations, so it wouldn't be about a court or jury so much as what legislators decide is gambling.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts
Just now, Helstrem said:

Except in this case we're talking about legislators writing new regulations, so it wouldn't be about a court or jury so much as what legislators decide is gambling.

In some countries, it's always going to come down to a court, unless the legislators specifically look at something like the "you can see this card, would you like to take it and flip the next card" system that we've seen in WOWS lately and spell out that it counts under the law, which I doubt will happen... it's not like the House of Lords is up on the minutia of battlebotes games. 

[O_O]
Members
673 posts

All personal responsibility is going out the window, let the good old State take care of everything and tell you what you can and cannot do, for your own good of course.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,066 posts
23,845 battles

Sooner Lootboxes are gone the better.  Ever since F2P has entered gaming, it's only ushered in worse things.

I still remember when people whined in MMORPGs that paying $25 subscription / month was too expensive.  Then when they switch to F2P games they're blowing hundreds of dollars / month :Smile_teethhappy: