Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
PanikFire

CV feedback and suggestions

9 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
4,559 battles

Background:  I play all ships fairly equally (except CV's) but really prefer DD game play.  I've played off and on for a number of years and consider myself a slightly above average player.  I play mostly random with a small run of clan battles a year or two ago.

CV's What's working. Torpedoes and Bombs seem to be working alright as you can mitigate some of the damage by maneuvering. 

CV's What needs work:  Rockets are a little too effective, especially against low starting health ships (DD's).  A possible fix for this would be to make the dispersion worse for them.  As far as dodging them goes, you can dodge them if the CV player is a below average player or you get lucky vs. an average player.  

What's broken:  I know it's in testing but the FDR is totally breaking the game,  the damage output is way too high.  Couple that with the increased plane health and they are unstoppable.

One pet peeve of mine is that carriers are at near no risk for 90% of the game.  Not sure what can be done about that.  

[STW-A]
[STW-A]
Beta Testers
152 posts
17,828 battles

@PanikFire I understand you might of been unlucky as a dd vs carrier rocket attacks. But unless some thing else is spotting the dd. It is very hard to get an effective rocket attack vs the dd. If the dd is running away from the rocket planes there is an ok chance if you get lucky with dispersion that you might do good damage. But if the dd knows what's up. They see rockets in coming.  You turn into the rocket planes. By the time the planes spot you they can not start thier attack and have that dispersion shrink to the small circle fast enough. Unless it's UK or graf zeplin. But even then you gotta be fast. But here is something to think about how much damage per volley as well as how fast to kill can a zao, montana, daring, des moines, moskva firing He 1v1 do to a dd. Now compare that to a cv.

On a side note I would actually recommend everyone to play one of the carrier lines to tier 10.  Then at least 30 games at tier 10.  This will do 2 things. You will see what you have to do to be effective with your attacks. As well as by learning how the attacks work you will figure out how to properly defend yourself versus planes. 

Edited by Jamesalot_ET
  • Cool 1

[-A-8-]
Members
450 posts
19,265 battles
23 minutes ago, Jamesalot_ET said:

On a side note I would actually recommend everyone to play one of the carrier lines to tier 10.  Then at least 30 games at tier 10.  This will do 2 things. You will see what you have to do to be effective with your attacks. As well as by learning how the attacks work you will figure out how to properly defend yourself versus planes. 

Yea this is something I suggest to people too. CVs are like artillery in WoT. People complain about taking damage from them but refuse to play them (some because they don't like them, others because their favourite streamers say they're bad) so they never learn how to counter them.

While it will not make you immune to taking damage, it does give you an understanding on how to mitigate it.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Meh 1

Members
8 posts
4,559 battles

Sorry what you explain has not been my experience.  And please don't go the route of git gud.  Which you haven't but the are always trolls that immediately go there!, thank you for not doing that. 

I find CV game play boring.   High reward little to no risk.  Why force me to play one?

I didn't even touch upon the spotting done by carriers.  Perhaps a delay similar to radar would help.  I've gotten pretty good avoiding planes at the beginning but once spotted it becomes difficult.  

• Cool 1

Members
8 posts
4,559 battles
44 minutes ago, wildgooseman said:

Yea this is something I suggest to people too. CVs are like artillery in WoT. People complain about taking damage from them but refuse to play them (some because they don't like them, others because their favourite streamers say they're bad) so they never learn how to counter them.

While it will not make you immune to taking damage, it does give you an understanding on how to mitigate it.

Even Artillery can be countered in WOT  seeing that you've played CV's a bit is that True for CV on CV?

[STW-A]
[STW-A]
Beta Testers
152 posts
17,828 battles

ship to learn how to counter it. Yes it can suck. Mainly because different players play each ship differently at times as well as information put out even by youtubers don't always have all of the information or properly explain that information. I do like the wargaming's how it work videos though. But they do not have everything out yet. Besides that. If you play a dd but have never played a radar ship. Learning to counter it is more then just knowing a des moines radar range and concealment. It's how fast do they get up to speed for when they push in to use radar. How fast do thier turrets turn once they radar to know how much time you have to get out of range  and so on. SAP  shells sound strong but did you know a nose on dd at 2km can easily bounce sap all sap shells. I did not until this last clan battle season when a dd charged me and at about 2km range I hit it with 11 shells and all of them bounced. Did you know that the premium french tier 10 dd marceau can citidal a des moines full broadside at 14km reliably. These are reasons why its good to play all ships  to learn how they work and how to properly counter them. 

Added. Even knowing the travel time for shells and torps allows you to know how much time you have to maneuver.  You can only really learn that by playing the ship

Edited by Jamesalot_ET
  • Cool 1

[KOBK]
Members
229 posts
4,036 battles
2 hours ago, PanikFire said:

One pet peeve of mine is that carriers are at near no risk for 90% of the game.  Not sure what can be done about that.  

Im tired of people complaining this about cv, but say nothing about dds, cl and bb who hide and rain he.

If you dont play cv, you wont understand how to play against. Most of people think the rocket planes have the same attack pattern for all nations and this isnt true. Play to learn, they even nerf dd air detection range so you can sail with your aa off now

[-A-8-]
Members
450 posts
19,265 battles
1 hour ago, PanikFire said:

I find CV game play boring.   High reward little to no risk.  Why force me to play one?

FWIW I'm not a fan of the CV game play either. For me it's the dead time flying into position. But by playing them I've learnt how they work and how others react to them.

As an aside I'm still surprised how many people don't switch off their AA in DDs meaning they're taking damage they may not have.

[-A-8-]
Members
450 posts
19,265 battles
1 hour ago, PanikFire said:

Even Artillery can be countered in WOT  seeing that you've played CV's a bit is that True for CV on CV?

You're assuming the the counter is to the ship. It's not, it's to the planes.

Sign in to follow this