Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Carbapenem_17

Odin's armour

7 comments in this topic

[LHG]
Members
135 posts
10,385 battles

So I've just got the Odin (I'm a small whale... dolphin I guess), and is much more fun than the Bismarck (No Tirpitz so can't caompare), less fun than the Scahrnhorst.

A lot of people say it has great armour, there seems to be almost no difference compared to the Bismarck.

The Bismarck has a 160mm upper belt but no stern armour belt like the Odin, all else are equal. They both have 50mm central deck and an icebreaker bow.

So, it has great armour as in the Bismarck's armour.. I guess that is what people are referring to?

I don't mean that Bismarck has poor armour, it's just not an armour scheme we haven't seen before.

Am I missing something here?  lol

Members
465 posts
4,388 battles

people often label german BBs armor as strong becouse of the turtleback armor, The horizontal armor is still on the soft side and will take lots of penetration hits like any other german BB.  

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,711 posts

German armor tends to be good if you use it.  As with most ships in this game, armor is not a passive thing that lets you just ignore everything thrown at you.  You have to angle, and maneuver, and limit how often you're in crossfires, and so on.  For example, so many opponents will aim at the waterline desperately trying to farm cits or just because they read somewhere that they should do so; the icebreaker won't stop hits at 90 degrees, but from the front at an angle it will bounce so many of those shots trying to hit your bow at the waterline.  

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,083 posts
7,978 battles

The armor schemes on German BBs does have a list of advantages in this game. One of them is that the distributed armor results in a much better resilience against HE fire.

Look for instance at Odin's upper belt. With 45mm it is capable of shattering the HE shells from a lot of cruisers, like say Charles Martel or Baltimore. Plenty of BBs cannot say the same, like Monarch or Richelieu, both being coated in 32mm armor which is highly vulnerable against HE spam.

Another advantage is that it gives a lot of surfaces on which AP shells can bounce. This is more of a factor at lower tiers, but against Yamato and Musashi when well angled you can easily bounce those shots while some other BBs can't.

But you are correct in saying that we've seen such armor schemes before. Odin being a preliminary version of Scharnhorst, their armor protection and layout is very similar if not identical in certain places.

[LHG]
Members
135 posts
10,385 battles

So,  no magic different distribution of heath pool and such...

Too bad they nerfed the health pool ... It should at least have the Scharnhorst health pool or better reload time

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,210 posts
9,340 battles
On 7/2/2020 at 7:55 AM, pepe_trueno said:

people often label german BBs armor as strong becouse of the turtleback armor

Yup. Hard to citadel, but you'll eat upper belt AP pens like there is no tomorrow. Against someone that knows what they're doing KM BB armor is so-so.

Members
197 posts
1,338 battles

Coolest thread title ever. Sounds like something a Viking would scream before battle or after hitting his thumb with a hammer.

584831406_Odins_Armour.thumb.jpg.4607cd1a101e8987bef62d45ebfc14fa.jpg

Sign in to follow this