Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
panamaz28

FXP = Alaska or ANY 3 tier 10 ships

23 comments in this topic

[IROCZ]
Banned
301 posts
20,485 battles

IM STUCK  !!  I grinded out 1 mill FXP with RB points and good old fashioned hard work

do I get Alaska which was the original idea or get 3 tier 10 ships, pretty much any tier 10 since im sitting on almost all tier 9 ships

I can get yamato because I have  a perma camo for it ( sweet )the dd gearing, any tier 10 cruiser,  etc...

already have like 7  tier10 tech tree ships + premiums, thunderer, salem, smol, mosk, etc.  the basics

Alaska  seems a waste at 1 mill  FXP for  a tier 9 though,  but I do  like the radar idea, can never have to many  radar ships

any ideas what to do with 1 mill  FXP ? 

On a side note,   if you search my WR  don't laugh,

after almost 3 years it will never go up, I ruined it in my first yr, not understanding that it is critical to have a good  WR to not be ridiculed !!!

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,926 posts
11,602 battles

id get Alaska, those tech tree ships will always be there, Alaska has no guarantee that it will and its a great ship

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 2

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
728 posts
4,671 battles

I usually would agree with you that no ship is worth 1 million FXP, but Alaska is great and is pretty much a T10. 

And usually, you should save FXP to skip stock grinds

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

Kind of a tough call.

Don't get the Gearing. It's a good ship, but doesn't suit the current meta very well.

I also have the free perm camo for Yamato. Punched thru the Izumo in only 5 battles
using a premium day, full load of flags, and Mosaic camos.
It's a good ship. Don't get too close to the flamethrowers until the end game.

Alaska is interesting.
It can hold it's own on tier 10.
Can have big battles, but usually it does 60-90k damage.
It's very tanky.
Despite the small damage numbers, it gets a lot of kills, and seems to have an impact on the battle.
It also seems to earn very good credits.

I've done it both ways before. Instead of another fxp ship, get some tier 10s.
I think the only way you'll go wrong is if you use the fxp to get a bad fxp ship.

I'm currently sitting on 1M fxp, was hoping for Siegfried, not gonna drop it on Agir,
but I have a ton of flags and camos, so I'll prolly grind the last tier 10 ships I want.

Good luck with your decision.
Note: Don't know how hard you had to grind for that fxp, but I'm happy with my Alaska purchase.
Took a little while to figure out how to play it, but not long.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
4 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Punched thru the Izumo in only 5 battles

70,000 XP per battle? Dear God. What sort of BXP were you pulling?

Members
1,603 posts
25,123 battles

I never, EVER use FXP for tech boats - ever... AT ALL.

Alaska is a great boat, as is Kronstadt and Nelson. I will likely get Agier as well, as I like my tier 9 gold ships.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

70,000 XP per battle? Dear God. What sort of BXP were you pulling?

Don't remember the BXP, or the w/l, but I kinda remember that 4 of the 5 battles were good.
Also, I was using a stock Izumo with no modules or upgrades.
It was those Mosaic camos. Something like 30k xp and 40k fxp per battle, don't remember exactly.

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
982 posts
8,969 battles
1 hour ago, panamaz28 said:

IM STUCK  !!  I grinded out 1 mill FXP with RB points and good old fashioned hard work

do I get Alaska which was the original idea or get 3 tier 10 ships, pretty much any tier 10 since im sitting on almost all tier 9 ships

I can get yamato because I have  a perma camo for it ( sweet )the dd gearing, any tier 10 cruiser,  etc...

already have like 7  tier10 tech tree ships + premiums, thunderer, salem, smol, mosk, etc.  the basics

Alaska  seems a waste at 1 mill  FXP for  a tier 9 though,  but I do  like the radar idea, can never have to many  radar ships

any ideas what to do with 1 mill  FXP ? 

after almost 3 years it will never go up, I ruined it in my first yr, not understanding that it is critical to have a good  WR to not be ridiculed !!!

Depends on if you're really a cruiser type of player. If you're a cruiser main? Holy crap, get Alaska. It's fantastic. Super tanky, great AP, decent AA, I mean it's really Tier 9.5. It uptiers extremely well. 

But if you're not a Cruiser main? I mean there's tons of good tech tree ships to get. 

If you love BBs then of course Yamato is great. 

If you're a DD main there are many better options than Gearing. Great ship 2 years ago, its average these days. Halland is better in pretty much every way as a torp boat, and Daring is better as a gun boat. 

Good luck with your choice, but Alaska is very, very solid. I'm honestly surprised they haven't removed it yet.  

Beta Testers
898 posts
3,460 battles

I'd get Alaska, did get Alaska. It's the star of the "common" super cruisers, can train US BB or CA captains, and is a T9 premium.

[O_O]
Members
6,450 posts
15,349 battles

Based on the options you provided...

...Alaska, easy.  :etc_red_button:

[O_O]
Members
6,450 posts
15,349 battles
49 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Punched thru the Izumo in only 5 battles

Highly dubious claim. 

[--K--]
Supertester
1,227 posts
11,178 battles

Alaska is the best free xp ship available currently. I would assume it will be the next ship on the chopping block for "popularity" 

[--K--]
Supertester
1,227 posts
11,178 battles
2 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Highly dubious claim. 

If only WG hadn't given people a means to avoid a way for us to fact check things. Where are our math people?

2500 base with every camo/flags.

[NG-NL]
Members
264 posts
9,187 battles
1 hour ago, panamaz28 said:

You play heavy cruisers and you like radar. And I assume you want something that you don't already have. That's Alaska. You'll have no regrets.

There are other great free XP ships. I love Friesland because its guns are hilarious, but I mostly play DDs anyway. Nelson is a good ship (and its heal is hilarious) but neither of those are what you're looking for. Alaska totally is.

Enjoy!

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

I didn't want to dig thru a thousand screenshots to see if I had one, but here's a recent one.

shot-20_03.29_09_41.50-0378.thumb.jpg.62d065fcbd850794fa9ff1bfe467be38.jpg

52k xp and wasn't even using a Mosaic camo.

Also possible that I had some leftover fxp from the Amagi finish, so it might not have been exactly 70k per battle, but I did it in 5 battles.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,227 posts
11,178 battles
2 minutes ago, z9_ said:

I didn't want to dig thru a thousand screenshots to see if I had one, but here's a recent one.

shot-20_03.29_09_41.50-0378.thumb.jpg.62d065fcbd850794fa9ff1bfe467be38.jpg

Also possible that I had some leftover fxp from the Amagi finish, so it might not have been exactly 70k per battle, but I did it in 5 battles.

Ah I see you mean using the combined ship xp and the free xp. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,158 posts
14,332 battles
8 hours ago, z9_ said:

This is not 52K XP. It is 52K combined ship and free XP, and the distinction needs to be made.

9 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Highly dubious claim. 

It is on the face of it, but I see how he was able to make it. With Mosaic camo on, you're in that situation where the free XP yield can actually exceed the ship XP (@Edgecase has a very nice guide in his sig for how this works.)  So if he had five really good battles, he could easily have been pulling 70,000 combined and that indeed would have got him through in five fights. 

I agree that what he certainly did NOT do was put 353,000 ship XP on the hull in five battles. I just hope he did it with a 19 point captain (or a strong candidate for it).

Members
1,434 posts
17,129 battles
13 hours ago, panamaz28 said:

Many of us are in that same boat. For my first couple thousand games this was nothing more than a shoot 'em up arcade game that I could play without shoving another quarter into the machine. I didn't care about winning or losing just having fun. Those days of playing just for fun may have been "the good old days".

Of all the 1 million FXP ships the Alaska may be the only one actually worth that much. You won't regret getting it and the tech tree ships will always be there to grind out at whenever you want.

[UN1]
Members
1,218 posts
3,659 battles

Alaska is a ship that lends well to both cruiser and battleship player types.   It's fun, capable, and being that it's T9, earns a lot of credits.  Definitely one of those must-haves.

[COOP2]
Members
262 posts
7,518 battles

Best guess is because you can only get Alaska with free xp, then get Alaska (or insert your desired free XP ship here), and as stated previously you never know when something like Alaska will no longer be available. I doubt that would happen to Alaska anytime soon but it is definitely a valid point.

Our esteemed colleagues are correct, tech tree ships aren't going anywhere and you do have another method to gain them (play the lower tier ship). So you can get Alaska, use your Alaska (and every other ship) free XP gains to offset some of the cost in XP while playing the tier 9 ship while trying to get to that tier 10.

[Y0L0W]
Members
507 posts
16,726 battles

Of all the ships that have ever been offered for free XP Including Missouri and such, Alaska is definitely one of the top 3. The day might come when Alaska is removed. I'd get it before that day comes.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,894 posts
17,943 battles
14 hours ago, panamaz28 said:

Actually...if you play the next three years in Random, and play the same number of games as you did in Co-op (~14K), and play at a 60% WR over those 14K games, your overall WR (including your early poor performance) will be 57.5%.

Never underestimate the ability of lots of numbers (lots of matches in long term) stats to swamp out fewer number (fewer matches learning the game) stats.  Most of us had poor stats in our early days.

Also, don't worry about a low WR if you are performing at a good WR now.  It will totally befuddle anyone using those mods that examine a person's WR in game.  You can use it to advantage.  

• Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
1,109 posts
11,806 battles

I've got Puerto Rico, which on paper is an Alaska with an extra turret.  It's a good ship.  Radar, hydro, and guns that hit like freight trains (when the stars are aligned and you get a good angle).  But people who've played both seem to think Alaska is better.  And if we get a tier IX ranked or clan season, expect to see a lot of Alaskas.  Heck, even random MM seems to give me a fair number of tier IX only battles lately.  I haven't bought Alaska yet.  I currently have a little over 1.1 million free XP.  I like to keep a reserve of at least 200k, so I'll probably get it once I have 1.2 million, unless WG announces it's going away like Musashi, Missouri, Smolensk, etc.

Sign in to follow this