You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

ST 0.9.5, detectability with AA firing

38 comments in this topic

Members
165 posts
3,403 battles

Better than nothing.... 

sure it’ll be hard to do this but have you thought about making DDs only able to be seen within so many Meters instead of whole team? 

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

While something, this still doesn't fix the broken interaction between rocket aircraft and destroyers themselves.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[UNHLY]
Members
3,257 posts
25,349 battles

Correct me if I'm wrong but is this not the opposite of a mechanic that was closed tested when the mechanic for ships firing in smoke was changed.

That test was in fact ships would be detected when AA guns were firing in smoke which was never introduced so now your going the other way and making ships more stealthier when firing AA or am I reading this new test wrong too.

My point is we seem to be going from one extreme to the other. 

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
583 posts
13,661 battles

Just remove the rocket planes and the problem is solved. 

This change is not going to change anything. The CV players will still loop back around and hit you again because a players path is predictable and the planes travel at three times the speed the ship does. So ask yourself how does this change anything? 

Hoe about making the AA worth something again? How a out removing the broken mechanic since you can not seem to balance it? 

How about listening to the very community who has given you the answers already? 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 3

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
1 hour ago, Condor_Legion said:

This change is not going to change anything. The CV players will still loop back around and hit you again because a players path is predictable and the planes travel at three times the speed the ship does. So ask yourself how does this change anything? 

It doesn't.  Skilled CV players will still blap DDs to oblivion, despite this.

Outside of the sledgehammer fix of removing rocket planes altogether (which will never happen), the core issue still remains the heavily one-sided interaction of attack versus defense with rockets and destroyers.

Not a clue on the planet why WG keeps skirting around addressing the main issue here.

• Cool 2

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,172 battles

For randoms, this will be a problematic buff to DDs, as CVs will not be able to defend themselves very easily...because the CV can not rely on teammates to shoot at what they spot.

For clan wars, this will do nothing...because voice coms between all the teams and a strategic use of the planes...means spotted ships get focused, and the CV doesnt attack, he just circles the DD until it dies...and the air concealment range reduction means practically nothing.

So, no. This wont work the way you want it to work.

For randoms, rocket planes HAVE TO GO. They are absurdly broken, brain dead easy to use, and are nonhistorical.

For clan wars, you need to fundamentally rethink the concealment system...or have manually controllable fighters to provide spotting denial.

This little bandaid wont make people happy enough.

I am more than happy to explain this in more detail if your development team is confused by the feedback or wants to know more about how an actual carrier player uses the class.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,252 posts
10,892 battles

This is a large buff to destroyers with no AA to speak of, who should essentially never have their AA on, but I think this would probably ruin the concept of the AA destroyer. The bloom is punitive and a buff to CVs attacking AA destroyers. The AA destroyer must choose between engaging the attacking or spotting planes and attempting to escape with the lower air detection range, but it's far easier for the CV to keep the AA destroyer spotted now.

[KAG]
Members
208 posts
11,506 battles

Planes should have their detect reduced as well, in fact it's kind of absurd that you can spot planes from 10km away but DDs from sub 2km.  Historically speaking at least

DDs who keep their AA off will be at an extreme advantage since then CV will have to be dropping onto them blind.  Precision drop without knowledge of the ship's latest position/speed/direction.
...And since WG has stated that Their fancy new German CV line is designed with Torpedos as the anti-DD drop (yes really)....good luck with that, germans getting a nerf before we even get the ships again

However I do like the change in principal...but <2km spotting will have to be balanced either by increasing it to maybe 3km or fiddling with drop times and/or penalties for adjusting your aiming circle.  It will be Hell especially for German CVs to drop their torps on DDs and having to slam the brakes on their super fast planes.  WG needs to be careful or they might bungle their release

Edited by Digital_Wind

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
2 hours ago, Condor_Legion said:

Hoe about making the AA worth something again? How a out removing the broken mechanic since you can not seem to balance it? 

How about listening to the very community who has given you the answers already? 

Friesland AA isnt good?

[LANCE]
Members
897 posts
6,834 battles
1 hour ago, Felipe_1982 said:

Friesland AA isnt good?

Are you comparing “good” with “better than none/crap” AA?

Edited by Bravo4zero

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
2 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

For randoms, this will be a problematic buff to DDs, as CVs will not be able to defend themselves very easily...because the CV can not rely on teammates to shoot at what they spot.

For clan wars, this will do nothing...because voice coms between all the teams and a strategic use of the planes...means spotted ships get focused, and the CV doesnt attack, he just circles the DD until it dies...and the air concealment range reduction means practically nothing.

So, no. This wont work the way you want it to work.

For randoms, rocket planes HAVE TO GO. They are absurdly broken, brain dead easy to use, and are nonhistorical.

For clan wars, you need to fundamentally rethink the concealment system...or have manually controllable fighters to provide spotting denial.

This little bandaid wont make people happy enough.

I am more than happy to explain this in more detail if your development team is confused by the feedback or wants to know more about how an actual carrier player uses the class.

Secondarie buff to all CV?

[WOLFA]
Members
387 posts
22,838 battles

I don`t like it, some DDs will be ghosts, a reduction of rockets damage against DDS would be better. o7

[KOBK]
Members
483 posts
5,566 battles

I cant see the logic on this change:

-As a dd, if your aa is off, you air detection is between 1-2 km aprox. If my planes detect a dd, i can just circle above her without attacking to alert my team. If the player activates aa the dd will be spotted for 20 secs and otherwise it would be still spotted for my planes

If you receive SO MANY complains about dd who cannot stay with the steam and rush to capture like rambo, why dont you try to reduce rocket damage by 20%? they still gonna cry, because they only want to torp from invi with 0 risk, but at least this will help people who really want to do more than torp from the smoke

[Y0L0W]
Members
644 posts
20,676 battles

This is such a piss off. Does WG not understand this game at all? This means planes and fly over a DD. the moment they’re spotted, drop fighters. Now the DD is screwed. 

Why even test this. Any player with even a little bit of experience in this game can tell you DD’s will get dumped on. 

[HINON]
Members
9,003 posts
13,164 battles

really this didnt solve anything, because the CV just has to drop fighters over the DD and itd be no different than it is now

Edited by tcbaker777

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Fix AA, make it reliably impose a cost on the CV for each attack run, instead of highly variable based on the ability to evade flak.  

That's the core issue, and fiddling around with detection distances and encouraging DDs to run with AA deactivated won't solve it. 

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,172 battles
7 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Fix AA, make it reliably impose a cost on the CV for each attack run, instead of highly variable based on the ability to evade flak.  

That's the core issue, and fiddling around with detection distances and encouraging DDs to run with AA deactivated won't solve it. 

AA alone will never provide sufficient air defense, because the planes ALWAYS retain the initiative.

Make AA impose a higher or more consistent cost? Then the CV still has the choice of engage or not engage. If he doesnt engage, the surface ship never feels like they 'won'...because no fight actually happens.

It is, to the surface ship, lose...or no fight.

That will still mean an unenjoyable experience.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,172 battles
3 hours ago, Felipe_1982 said:

Secondarie buff to all CV?

...thats another bandaid idea, though its at least more fun than this silly idea from WG.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 minute ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

AA alone will never provide sufficient air defense, because the planes ALWAYS retain the initiative.

Make AA impose a higher or more consistent cost? Then the CV still has the choice of engage or not engage. If he doesnt engage, the surface ship never feels like they 'won'...because no fight actually happens.

It is, to the surface ship, lose...or no fight.

That will still mean an unenjoyable experience.

I don't care about "initiative" or whatever, or the whole "but it's so one-sided" thing.   

Just fix AA.