You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
capncrunch21

Kill xp/credit award suggestion

11 comments in this topic

[SIMP]
Members
1,522 posts

I'd like to suggest a slight alteration to the way xp and credits are awarded for kills.

Currently, regardless of how much damage a ship takes, the last player to reduce it to zero hit points is awarded the kill. This comes with an xp and credit bonus worth about 10% of the ship's total.

The kill is awarded along with this bonus whether a player does 75k damage to a ship or 1 point of damage. My suggestion would be to keep getting the kill ribbon in place as is (if you are the one to get the killing shot on a ship you get the kill ribbon for it), BUT... in order to receive the 10% bonus xp/credit bonus, you must do at least 10% damage to the ship. If you haven't done at least 10% of the damage to a ship when it is killed, the bonus goes to the player who did the most damage to it. This awards people who do the lion's share of the work to sink a ship but due to luck and/or 'sniping' don't get the kill.

Seems fair doesn't it? If someone works over a ship for five minutes and someone else waltzs in and gets the kill with a single shot, shouldn't the person who did the majority of the work get the bonus for all their hard work?

[FFG33]
[FFG33]
Members
337 posts
13,584 battles

How much damage can the red-ship reduced by 90% of it’s HP but is still alive, do?

How many points does the green team get for a red ship that has most of it’s HP gone but is still sailing?

The answer: All the damage. It is still a threat while still alive.

That is the value of the kill ribbon and the rewards given for the kill.

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts

Sorry, but I can't agree with you @capncrunch21 :Smile_honoring:

I find it frustrating if I see a team mate holding fire 'to get a kill', I don't label it a 'kill steal', as I have no problem with anyone killing the enemy. However, if they are holding fire and prolonging the life of an enemy player to get the kill, then I do consider it bad play - as the longer the enemy is alive, the longer he is a threat.

And that is why I can't get annoyed if someone joins in to kill an enemy close to death; the quicker he's gone the better.

At the moment I think the game encourages this; the skies always seem to light up when a ship is close to death lol. But if the game changed to how you suggest, I would worry some may think 'Pffft, not worth my while to help, the enemy's nearly dead' and not help finish off a ship. I think that would be worse.

That is why I am ok with how things are at the moment.

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1

[SOFOP]
Members
2,439 posts
14,361 battles

10% kill secure bonus seems reasonable.  My bet would be that a lot of people think its higher than that.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,430 posts
14,165 battles
54 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Sorry, but I can't agree with you @capncrunch21 :Smile_honoring:

I find it frustrating if I see a team mate holding fire 'to get a kill', I don't label it a 'kill steal', as I have no problem with anyone killing the enemy. However, if they are holding fire and prolonging the life of an enemy player to get the kill, then I do consider it bad play - as the longer the enemy is alive, the longer he is a threat.

And that is why I can't get annoyed if someone joins in to kill an enemy close to death; the quicker he's gone the better.

At the moment I think the game encourages this; the skies always seem to light up when a ship is close to death lol. But if the game changed to how you suggest, I would worry some may think 'Pffft, not worth my while to help, the enemy's nearly dead' and not help finish off a ship. I think that would be worse.

That is why I am ok with how things are at the moment.

While it can be frustrating when you have a kill mission, don't stress as they will come.

43 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

10% kill secure bonus seems reasonable.  My bet would be that a lot of people think its higher than that.

I thought it was 15% but either way it is not that large and that person who did 90% of the damage still gets more experience and credits for the ship.

Members
3,757 posts
23,311 battles

OP seems to overlook that if you did the majority of damage to a ship before it went down you are already getting more XP than the guy that may have fired one volley. A 10% bonus isn't much to care about. Over the course of 100s of battles all this stuff evens itself out.

[SIMP]
Members
1,522 posts

I think most of you above have tunnel vision.

A player still gets the coveted kill ribbon if they finish off a ship. The problem is exactly as described in post #3 - people hold off fire until a ship gets down to almost nothing before they shoot at it ("the skies always seem to light up when a ship is close to death").

If people had to do at least 10% damage to a ship to get the "bonus", they would be firing at them much sooner  - actually making the kill come quicker - because if they haven't been contributing up to that point, their 'sniping' tactics would simply net them the kill ribbon, while the person who did the most work would be rewarded for slugging it out. This would actually encourage more people to get in the fight and do damage.

[KWA]
[KWA]
Members
67 posts

if a ship as 10k hp and you do 9k damage and someone kills it off you get 90% exp and they get 20% (10% for doing 1k out of 10k and 10% for the ribbon.  i find the kill ribbon gives little to begin with and if the team wins it 50% more on the final exp.

so the reward for a kill ribbon imo is already at a sweet spot. gives some exp to motivate players to kill it. but it low enough that it does not encourage holding off to get the last hit in most players that understand the system.

Members
213 posts
13,362 battles
On 7/1/2020 at 1:47 PM, capncrunch21 said:

I'd like to suggest a slight alteration to the way xp and credits are awarded for kills.

Currently, regardless of how much damage a ship takes, the last player to reduce it to zero hit points is awarded the kill. This comes with an xp and credit bonus worth about 10% of the ship's total.

The kill is awarded along with this bonus whether a player does 75k damage to a ship or 1 point of damage. My suggestion would be to keep getting the kill ribbon in place as is (if you are the one to get the killing shot on a ship you get the kill ribbon for it), BUT... in order to receive the 10% bonus xp/credit bonus, you must do at least 10% damage to the ship. If you haven't done at least 10% of the damage to a ship when it is killed, the bonus goes to the player who did the most damage to it. This awards people who do the lion's share of the work to sink a ship but due to luck and/or 'sniping' don't get the kill.

Seems fair doesn't it? If someone works over a ship for five minutes and someone else waltzs in and gets the kill with a single shot, shouldn't the person who did the majority of the work get the bonus for all their hard work?

I agree, too many times player's figure they can wait it out, save their HP, let other ships bring down enemy HP (Take the dame, get killed, then they can get a kill shot then boast about how many kills they got. Even I know kills are from contributions by the team, not just me. this is one of my biggest complaints. Bravo

Edited by Sirzin_6
  • Cool 1

Members
213 posts
13,362 battles
On 7/3/2020 at 6:55 PM, wazii said:

if a ship as 10k hp and you do 9k damage and someone kills it off you get 90% exp and they get 20% (10% for doing 1k out of 10k and 10% for the ribbon.  i find the kill ribbon gives little to begin with and if the team wins it 50% more on the final exp.

so the reward for a kill ribbon imo is already at a sweet spot. gives some exp to motivate players to kill it. but it low enough that it does not encourage holding off to get the last hit in most players that understand the system.

In your opinion................In 5 years, i've seen it way toooooo often. This will curtail the boasting and a more in-line understanding of team work and not stand-alone comedy hour

[SOCOM]
[SOCOM]
Members
636 posts
21,580 battles

The game if full of Cherry Pickers as I call them. It does not really matter to me. I play support most of the time and hit whatever target I can, if someone hits a ship that is almost dead great. Every ship sunk is one less that can hurt me.