You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Measuring Success in WoWS

17 comments in this topic

Members
1,691 posts
7,330 battles

Kills?  XP?  Damage?  All great indicators.  But sometimes your impact can't be measured by those things and a W is more important than any of the measurable indicators.  

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[INTEL]
Members
3,474 posts
19,929 battles

I find that the team that knocks out the Red DD CV first wins.  Oh wait...

[NFJF]
Members
707 posts
11,017 battles

As a BB main I pretty much rate myself as follows in T8 or above; If I do less than 100k, I didn't perform well or the team was horrible. If I get between 100-120k, I consider that an OK game. 130-140k I consider a GOOD game. 150-180ish, I consider a great game. Anything 200k or above I consider a MONSTER game. My thought is that I will typically have done much more of a service to the team if I do 200k+ and only get one kill over getting a kraken and doing less than 100k. I look to get the max damage I can out of each salvo I fire, and if I devastate something, my hope is that my CA team mates will finish it off with their DPM so I can try to land a huge hit on another high HP target. I do know when I have to prioritize securing a kill over getting a huge damage salvo, but aside from those instances, I feel that BBs are getting better use out of their salvos when they are shooting at targets that are the most likely to yield the highest amount of damage and letting high ROF teammates finish off low HP enemies if they are in your vicinity. 

Edited by admiralsexybeast

[OIL-1]
Members
1,463 posts

The true measure of success, is how much progress did you make in the current mission that you're grinding.

• Haha 1

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts

I agree... if i am  CV and takes 5 to 10 minutes just spotting dd without doing much damage, cause i cant bomb and it is difficult to torp then, numver will mean nothing to me... I could be farming damage since beggining, but if i dont, i will not have great numbers. 

[GOCRY]
Members
966 posts

Don’t flame me...

I measure success by how much fun I had.  I play this game to have fun. If I’m not having fun, then why am I still playing?  In the past I have measured success by how many games I won.  And inevitably got frustrated by losses that were just beyond my control.  I recently came off a 14 game losing streak.  But it didn’t bother me, because I could tell that I was playing well, based on all those measurable indicators. So I enjoyed those games, even though they were losses.

There are so many ways to define success, and you need to consider more than one way to measure whether you had a successful battle.  Shoot, even if a stat is objectively bad, you can still consider it a success if it’s an improvement over what it once was.

• Cool 5

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles
19 minutes ago, SeaGladius said:

Don’t flame me...

No flames here.  Three cheers for having some actual fun!

Other measures for me:

Did I do my job?

Did I help my team?

Did I improve somehow?

Did I do something different that influenced the outcome?

Interesting video @NoZoupForYou  You were playing a CV, but at least you weren't playing one in a double-CV T4 match.

Mendoza Line: .200 (though he actually hit .215)  Glad to see I'm not the only one that uses it 'round here.

[O7]
Members
1,037 posts
6,162 battles

Its a combination of win rate, damage done, and kills.

We have a value that combines all 3 and normalizes for each ship, this is known as Personal Rating, or PR.

It is not flawless, but it is by far the best measurement of success we have.

[--O--]
Members
994 posts

It's simple how I measure it.

I'm still here playing, when I leave it is because the game has "successfully" taken the biggest metric for me from it "Fun"

[BEA5T]
Members
5,286 posts
23,974 battles
4 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

Don’t flame me...

I measure success by how much fun I had.  I play this game to have fun. If I’m not having fun, then why am I still playing?  In the past I have measured success by how many games I won.  And inevitably got frustrated by losses that were just beyond my control.  I recently came off a 14 game losing streak.  But it didn’t bother me, because I could tell that I was playing well, based on all those measurable indicators. So I enjoyed those games, even though they were losses.

There are so many ways to define success, and you need to consider more than one way to measure whether you had a successful battle.  Shoot, even if a stat is objectively bad, you can still consider it a success if it’s an improvement over what it once was.

Bingo !  We have a winner..........!!   All of the above to some extent with Fun as the driving metric.....

[OO7]
Members
692 posts
8,221 battles

Fun is a measurement of success, unfortunately some people find winning 29% of the time fun.  

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,919 posts
10,311 battles
5 hours ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Its a combination of win rate, damage done, and kills.

We have a value that combines all 3 and normalizes for each ship, this is known as Personal Rating, or PR.

It is not flawless, but it is by far the best measurement of success we have.

I'm still fascinated by the fact that WG never fixed cap point API after it broke shortly after Open Beta, and by the fact that base XP without premium was never avalible to begin with.

Do they not understand their audience at all?

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles

Success is victory. That is not up for debate.

Satisfaction with the result is quite another matter, and we all know that victory can feel hollow while not every defeat is a heartbreaker.

Perhaps a more pertinent question would be: "When you walk away feeling not so bad after a loss, what were the mitigating factors?"

[--O--]
Members
994 posts
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Perhaps a more pertinent question would be: "When you walk away feeling not so bad after a loss, what were the mitigating factors?"

A match that goes to the last 5 minutes or down to the wire. These typically you have no clue who will win in the first 3 minutes and have no yolo's, afk or Chat problem makers.

In a loss I want a true GG where both teams could have won and finding that one defining moment is hard without watching a replay 4 or 5 times.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
14 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

In a loss I want a true GG where both teams could have won

I have been in such battles, when both sides were still clawing for the last-minute win and the chat was openly full of BOTH sides agreeing with statements like, "Whoever ends up winning, this was a great fight."

• Cool 1