You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
VonSchoenvorts

Make Viribus Unitis Great Again!

20 comments in this topic

Banned
120 posts
8,456 battles

I want so badly to buy the Viribus Unitis but at tier V with tier IV stats it is just not practical. PLEASE put this ship at tier IV where it belongs!!!!

• Cool 1

[-KIA-]
Clan Supertest Coordinator, Volunteer Moderator, Supertester, Privateers
6,507 posts
8,375 battles

It's actually pretty good at T5 

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[-TXT-]
Members
105 posts
5,985 battles

Like @ManWantsSteel said, it's a great T5, it's got some rather handy features:

-Rudder: This thing puts cruisers to shame and is your primary source of defense. It forces most BBs to shoot at your bow/stern armor and makes torpedoes, both airdropped and ship-launched very difficult to hit. It even makes it so that bombers usually are forced to attack from poor angles, which nearly makes up for the non-existent AA suite, especially when down-tiered.

-Guns: OH BABY, 12-inchers might seem small but they certainly don't feel that way when you're rocking 6-12 at a time, and these are some of the best of this caliber. They're not prone to overpen, have great accuracy/dispersion, and are sufficiently dangerous against ships at any range. It's quite possible to get around 8-10k a shot, even without cit hits, and your aforementioned rudder allows you to show them while minimizing your broadside time.

-Concealment: Apparently borrowing some Italian stealth technology, Viribris is one of the best, if not the best in class when it comes to concealment, which can actually outperform most cruisers at the tier. This gives you greater power to decide which engagements you want to commit to, and for a standard speed BB, you can certainly do worse.

Really, at its tier it's pretty effective, and even a tier above it can still remain competitive. It's when it's two-tiered that it starts to struggle, but then again there are hardly any T5 ships that perform especially well at T7. I think people are just a bit frightened by the low health and AA defense.

• Cool 2
  • Confused 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,152 battles
7 minutes ago, ManWantsSteel said:

It's actually pretty good at T5 

Except for the AA which is effectively nonexistent even against tier 4 CV's. For playability I think that the VB along with all the all the other extremely weak or nonexistent AA ships in tier 3, 4, & 5 should get AA buffs.

[POP]
Members
2,841 posts
22,716 battles
1 hour ago, VonSchoenvorts said:

I want so badly to buy the Viribus Unitis but at tier V with tier IV stats it is just not practical. PLEASE put this ship at tier IV where it belongs!!!!

Make it Great again !!! when was this the case, last time that it showed any promise was in testing then got Nerf hammered  before it even got out of the blocks.

I have it its fun to play in Coop but have only played one random which was a victory and I did well but that's it I am not going back there until AA and some Anti Torpedo Defence's are added. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,152 battles
9 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Make it Great again !!! when was this the case, last time that it showed any promise was in testing then got Nerf hammered  before it even got out of the blocks.

I have it its fun to play in Coop but have only played one random which was a victory and I did well but that's it I am not going back there until AA and some Anti Torpedo Defence's are added. 

Yeah, like the Mikasa which I also have it is a co-op queen because of the flaws that make it pretty much unplayable in randoms the most damning being the joke that its AA is. with decent tier 5 AA the other flaws while a problem could be worked around. I think that WG needs to bite the bullet on playability in tier 3 - 4/5 against CV's and give them enough AA so that the CV's they see will have to at least think before leaping which the tier 4 CV's do not have to do except for a very few tier 4 cruisers and one of them is extremely rare being the Iwaki Alpha.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,211 battles
45 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Except for the AA which is effectively nonexistent even against tier 4 CV's. For playability I think that the VB along with all the all the other extremely weak or nonexistent AA ships in tier 3, 4, & 5 should get AA buffs.

Less of a problem than one might think, honestly. Just have to position her in less exposed positions where she isn't the best target. She'll be in trouble as the last alive, but it's honestly a bit hellish to try and get a good strike on a ship this wiggly if they know what they are doing. I chased 2 CVs one time, nearly killing both. Nearly got 2 dev strikes. :cap_haloween: If you consistently give the worst target possible, a CV just can't be as effective as it wants to be against her. They may get strike after strike, but it'll never be a good strike if you are free to dodge.

That said, I'd also say she's a ship that works well with a weird build. Massive AA fire. This turns her AA into something dangerous, as long as strikes go for in her. This is one of very few ships that can really make good use of it, as she's a CV magnet and actually has a fair amount of health despite that, if not good health in general.

She's a little like Atlanta in a way. She craves 19 points and a highly dedicated build.

Supertester
1,587 posts
16 battles

It's between Viribus Unitis and Bretagne for worst T5 Battleship. I'd love to pick it up, but it's simply too bad for me to consider it. 

That's the kind of problem you have when you have 6-7k less HP than the next T5 BB (and circa 19,000 less than the highest T5/most T6s), and in return you get nothing too exceptional because of the ships other disadvantages. The rudder shift/turning circle is great, except that it is still awkward to use the other 50% of the firepower in a situation where you need to turn. The firepower is not exceptional for a 20-21 knot dreadnought when at T5.

Effectively if you can give up 1.2km of concealment, 2s of reload and some of the maneuverability, you get a bigger, faster and just as well armed ship in Oktyabryskaya Revolutsiya. Which also has AA.

The ship would be far better suited to being a T4 premium (comparisons with Nikolai were over-exaggerated), but what can be done now. It's bad and I have a feeling it's going to remain bad. 

• Cool 1
  • Confused 1

[TWE]
Beta Testers
144 posts
1,308 battles

I enjoy the VU, mostly because I'm a KuKaboo but it is a fun ship when you play to it's strengths. Mainly it's stealth and excellent gun performance. Really, all it needs is hit points. Buff it up another 7-9k and it would be fine. Does it have terrible AA and torpedo protection? Definitely but I look at it as just being part of the peculiarities of the ship. And I wouldn't be surprised if poor torpedo protection in general just becomes the flavour of future pan-European BBs anyway. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,152 battles
12 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Less of a problem than one might think, honestly. Just have to position her in less exposed positions where she isn't the best target. She'll be in trouble as the last alive, but it's honestly a bit hellish to try and get a good strike on a ship this wiggly if they know what they are doing. I chased 2 CVs one time, nearly killing both. Nearly got 2 dev strikes. :cap_haloween: If you consistently give the worst target possible, a CV just can't be as effective as it wants to be against her. They may get strike after strike, but it'll never be a good strike if you are free to dodge.

That said, I'd also say she's a ship that works well with a weird build. Massive AA fire. This turns her AA into something dangerous, as long as strikes go for in her. This is one of very few ships that can really make good use of it, as she's a CV magnet and actually has a fair amount of health despite that, if not good health in general.

She's a little like Atlanta in a way. She craves 19 points and a highly dedicated build.

She can't keep up with the ships she needs to for AA protection so that is only feasible in a division where the other ships can slow down to let her keep up. While she has roughly US standard speed any turns take far more speed than with the US standards making her fall even farther behind. Massive AA may help but the AA is so meh that it may not.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,211 battles
53 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

She can't keep up with the ships she needs to for AA protection so that is only feasible in a division where the other ships can slow down to let her keep up. While she has roughly US standard speed any turns take far more speed than with the US standards making her fall even farther behind. Massive AA may help but the AA is so meh that it may not.

She doesn't need to keep up per se. So long as you're able to keep a nice picket between you and the CV, the CV will find a better target She reminds me of Katori a bit, honestly. A good CV understands that distance covered is what dictates their DPM, so while you may be a low risk target, if you make the reward low, they'll still leave you alone most likely.

As for massive AA, it does the same thing for all BBs, the only difference is the range sucks. But if they're attacking you, it won't matter so long as you do have AA guns. The damage of this actually can shoot down stuff, even.

I really should play VU more now that I have my Friesland's commander made into a dedicated VU commander, on that note. :cap_haloween: Love this ship. The gunnery just feel good!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,152 battles
3 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

She doesn't need to keep up per se. So long as you're able to keep a nice picket between you and the CV, the CV will find a better target She reminds me of Katori a bit, honestly. A good CV understands that distance covered is what dictates their DPM, so while you may be a low risk target, if you make the reward low, they'll still leave you alone most likely.

As for massive AA, it does the same thing for all BBs, the only difference is the range sucks. But if they're attacking you, it won't matter so long as you do have AA guns. The damage of this actually can shoot down stuff, even.

I really should play VU more now that I have my Friesland's commander made into a dedicated VU commander, on that note. :cap_haloween: Love this ship. The gunnery just feel good!

I haven't tried it on the VB yet, need more points but they come slow in co-op but in randoms you are automatically looked at as a free kill by the CV's which if any good will find a way around those picket ships.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,211 battles
26 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I haven't tried it on the VB yet, need more points but they come slow in co-op but in randoms you are automatically looked at as a free kill by the CV's which if any good will find a way around those picket ships.

If they have to, sure. Targets that are being ignored by the team and are out of the way just aren't good targets, however. The CV's time is better used elsewhere 9 times out of 10. It's why she does well as a middle line, as people tend to ignore a BB in that position, modest health pool or not. CVs can't stack fires on that effectively, either, without a good chunk of luck. You need a T8+ CV for good fire starting capability. CVs also can't land torps on a target willing to dodgem BB or no. 

CVs honestly suck at solo killing anything short of a DD outside of AP bombs, and even then it's more T8+ AP bombs and a lot of luck.  Well, unless they HE cit. But that's a stupid exception that shouldn't be a thing as far as CVs go.

If VU were a T6 ship, I'd agree wholeheartedly. But T6 CVs are almost (Ark does exist, and is borderline OP due to her consistency and her torps if one asked me) all in that awkward spot where hitting can be difficult due to few projectiles, and AP bombs are hard to get results with due to rarity of deck armor worth a damn.

This actually sums up why I worry about Odin, honestly. She's got the same health issue, but sees ships like Enterprise, Hakuryuu and Shokaku.

That said, the biggest threat to a VU, rather than CVs, is the flank she's on keeling over. She can't run, she has a low health pool, and those guns are best used strategically due to their smaller size. If you can maintain a state of being ignored, she's a monster. If not... play Texas. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,152 battles
5 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

If they have to, sure. Targets that are being ignored by the team and are out of the way just aren't good targets, however. The CV's time is better used elsewhere 9 times out of 10. It's why she does well as a middle line, as people tend to ignore a BB in that position, modest health pool or not. CVs can't stack fires on that effectively, either, without a good chunk of luck. You need a T8+ CV for good fire starting capability. CVs also can't land torps on a target willing to dodgem BB or no. 

CVs honestly suck at solo killing anything short of a DD outside of AP bombs, and even then it's more T8+ AP bombs and a lot of luck.  Well, unless they HE cit. But that's a stupid exception that shouldn't be a thing as far as CVs go.

If VU were a T6 ship, I'd agree wholeheartedly. But T6 CVs are almost (Ark does exist, and is borderline OP due to her consistency and her torps if one asked me) all in that awkward spot where hitting can be difficult due to few projectiles, and AP bombs are hard to get results with due to rarity of deck armor worth a damn.

This actually sums up why I worry about Odin, honestly. She's got the same health issue, but sees ships like Enterprise, Hakuryuu and Shokaku.

That said, the biggest threat to a VU, rather than CVs, is the flank she's on keeling over. She can't run, she has a low health pool, and those guns are best used strategically due to their smaller size. If you can maintain a state of being ignored, she's a monster. If not... play Texas. 

It is always a catch 22 to position where you can help and not be a target. I just want enough AA so they don't laugh as they come at me.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,211 battles
On 7/1/2020 at 7:14 PM, BrushWolf said:

It is always a catch 22 to position where you can help and not be a target. I just want enough AA so they don't laugh as they come at me.

Sounds like you'd enjoy Texas more, then.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,152 battles
6 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Sounds like you'd enjoy Texas more, then.

Very much but I would like to play the VB in more than co-op and while people complain that the Texas isn't the no fly zone it was it is still a high pain zone for any planes that enter her AA umbrella.

• Cool 1

[WHEE]
Members
94 posts
2,489 battles

I’m with most people here - she’s actually a lot of fun. She’s a blast to drive and the guns are solid, with 12 of them nonetheless. 

If you’re into history, the fact that she’s the only Austro-Hungarian ship in game (not acknowledging that T2 destroyer) is a fun little element too. 

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,211 battles
2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Very much but I would like to play the VB in more than co-op and while people complain that the Texas isn't the no fly zone it was it is still a high pain zone for any planes that enter her AA umbrella.

Honestly, I'd not even call Texas's AA that much weaker as a base. The real downside of the rework is that she's stuck with her stock range. :cap_haloween:

That said, I'd say similar of def AA, too. So long as it's on a ship with at least good AA, it's still as lovely a consumable as ever. Any time the clouds turn red I groan, as one mistake and I may lose everything.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,394 posts
14,152 battles
25 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Honestly, I'd not even call Texas's AA that much weaker as a base. The real downside of the rework is that she's stuck with her stock range. :cap_haloween:

That said, I'd say similar of def AA, too. So long as it's on a ship with at least good AA, it's still as lovely a consumable as ever. Any time the clouds turn red I groan, as one mistake and I may lose everything.

Yeah the stock range sucks and I think that a small buff to the range would be in order.

• Cool 1

[PRMUS]
Members
943 posts
2,312 battles
On 7/1/2020 at 1:08 AM, VonSchoenvorts said:

It's good at T5. It's worth it. One of my favorite ships. It could have been a T4/T5 it was an either or thing. But it is not bad at T5 even when up tiered it's not useless. T5's are generally going to be in trouble when they get uptiered though. 

The more people who buy it the more it encourages WG to make more historically real ships from the WW1 era. They did a damm good job IMO. I haven't played the ships people consider the strongest T5's but I'd take it over Konig, Iron Duke or Bretagne which aren't bad ships in themselves. While I don't think it's objectively better than those ships it's not clearly inferior ever and different people will think differently. At T4 it would be OP. Guilio Caesare is really the only thing it's inferior to and keep in mind that's kind of cause those ships both have their WW2 configurations. October Revolution is a WW2 Gangut as well. Know it's a premium and I'm favorably comparing it to tech tree ships but it's still good not like there's a Euro tech tree one to compare to.