You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Mustelid

Proposed Aircraft Carrier Spotting Change (feedback request)

17 comments in this topic

[WFSDL]
Members
2 posts
6,861 battles

First time post to the forum sry in advance if this is out of place.

Like many I'm sure myself and my clan participated in clan season with tier 10 CV's included in the game and like most people we found it disappointing that the power of the aircraft carriers seems unbalanced.  I can understand some people's feelings but I personally dislike the CV'S but I can understand their role in the battle,  I'd like to put forward a alteration the could be implemented into the be game specifically for carriers.

Carrier spotting could be modified to only show general locations of ships they come across as blips on the minimap alone much like foul weather mechanics already are implemented into the game, the Carrier would be able to spot for the team but the overwhelming firepower of the entire team could not be implemented apart from general locations and blind firing encouraging ships to push forward or retreat based on intel. I feel gameplay for carriers would not be drastically effected and better engagement for ships encouraged. 

Feel free to support or critique any points and we can hopefully improve the quality of the game for everyone.

• Meh 1

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,526 posts
3,480 battles

bringing back the RTS version combined with the benefit from Rework's "unlimited" planes would be imho ideal because in you can do SO MUCH more with an RTS carrier than you ever could with a Rework carrier.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,617 posts
13,182 battles
1 hour ago, Mustelid said:

Like many I'm sure myself and my clan participated in clan season with tier 10 CV's included in the game and like most people we found it disappointing that the power of the aircraft carriers seems unbalanced.  I can understand some people's feelings but I personally dislike the CV'S but I can understand their role in the battle,  I'd like to put forward a alteration the could be implemented into the be game specifically for carriers.

Carrier spotting could be modified to only show general locations of ships they come across as blips on the minimap alone much like foul weather mechanics already are implemented into the game, the Carrier would be able to spot for the team but the overwhelming firepower of the entire team could not be implemented apart from general locations and blind firing encouraging ships to push forward or retreat based on intel. I feel gameplay for carriers would not be drastically effected and better engagement for ships encouraged. 

Feel free to support or critique any points and we can hopefully improve the quality of the game for everyone.

While it would be reasonable with current CV's, I doubt it would actually mean much.

I don't think the biggest problem for DD players that can't/won't adapt is the CV getting "spotting for damage". Sure, a few more DD's will survive, but probably not many.

I think that the CV spotting the red DD and the team being ready is the bigger problem for the DD. Now the radar cruisers know, in about a minute, there's gonna be a DD coming out from behind that island. Unless you completely blind the CV, that problem won't go away.

The only real problem with it is the incoming German CV's. For a normal player, the only thing they can do about a DD is spot it and hope someone kills it. Hitting a DD with torps is going to be something for only the very skilled, and they otherwise have a complete lack of anti-DD weapons. Which will also mean that when subs hit randoms, German CV's that aren't named Graf Zeppelin will be rendered port queens.

Members
59 posts
760 battles

Yea, the idea makes sense except for something, the compounding of anti destroyer activities, destroyers can’t do anything against carriers right ? But carriers can crush destroyers, meaning if the spotting gets nerfed, carriers might just hunt destroyers even more, instead of spotting the whole team, leading to worse times for destroyers than now.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,617 posts
13,182 battles
56 minutes ago, Penguinattack27 said:

Yea, the idea makes sense except for something, the compounding of anti destroyer activities, destroyers can’t do anything against carriers right ? But carriers can crush destroyers, meaning if the spotting gets nerfed, carriers might just hunt destroyers even more, instead of spotting the whole team, leading to worse times for destroyers than now.

True, if you make things harder for the CV (or any other class), DD's are always a better target. They're worth more XP/Credits per point of damage than any other class, and the first team that runs out of DD's usually loses.

At least CV spotting and intelligence gathering works both ways (I've spotted for many a friendly DD so it could win it's DD on DD duel, and knowing what's on it's way to the cap that you're heading towards is always valuable.)

Members
59 posts
760 battles
1 hour ago, SgtBeltfed said:

True, if you make things harder for the CV (or any other class), DD's are always a better target. They're worth more XP/Credits per point of damage than any other class, and the first team that runs out of DD's usually loses.

At least CV spotting and intelligence gathering works both ways (I've spotted for many a friendly DD so it could win it's DD on DD duel, and knowing what's on it's way to the cap that you're heading towards is always valuable.)

Thanks for quoting me, but Yea, spotting for allied dd’s help in destroyer duels a lot, but what if destroyers get an accuracy buff when an allied aircraft is near you? Like a spotting plane ish mechanic where if your carrier flys a squadron over you your gun accuracy increases, it’s a step closer to the direction I would like carriers  to be in where they are almost entirely support craft. In a perfect world I would like carriers to have the ability to drop smoke, extinguish fires, heal allies and the sort, make them be less hated while still useful.

Edited by Penguinattack27

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,617 posts
13,182 battles
21 minutes ago, Penguinattack27 said:

Thanks for quoting me, but Yea, spotting for allied dd’s help in destroyer duels a lot, but what if destroyers get an accuracy buff when an allied aircraft is near you? Like a spotting plane ish mechanic where if your carrier flys a squadron over you your gun accuracy increases, it’s a step closer to the direction I would like carriers  to be in where they are almost entirely support craft. In a perfect world I would like carriers to have the ability to drop smoke, extinguish fires, heal allies and the sort, make them be less hated while still useful.

A lot of that isn't something aircraft have never done, and is in the realm of the Halloween Events. I do recall some attempts in real life to deploy smoke with aircraft, but it wasn't successful enough to do operationally.

As far as an accuracy buff, I doubt it would matter on a DD, as their guns are the most accurate in the game already. Do you really want to see what a Yamato would do with more accurate guns?

Making them a pure support class would also be a disaster, as A, too many premiums have been sold, and B, You'd be way to dependent on your team to do anything. CV's right now are pretty bad in that regard, they can enable a team to win easier, and do damage in the process. But, if the team balls up in a corner to get kicked to death, all the CV can do is watch it happen, and maybe get a little damage in. Further reducing their offensive capabilities till they are a pure support class, would just magnify that. 

Members
59 posts
760 battles
9 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

A lot of that isn't something aircraft have never done, and is in the realm of the Halloween Events. I do recall some attempts in real life to deploy smoke with aircraft, but it wasn't successful enough to do operationally.

As far as an accuracy buff, I doubt it would matter on a DD, as their guns are the most accurate in the game already. Do you really want to see what a Yamato would do with more accurate guns?

Making them a pure support class would also be a disaster, as A, too many premiums have been sold, and B, You'd be way to dependent on your team to do anything. CV's right now are pretty bad in that regard, they can enable a team to win easier, and do damage in the process. But, if the team balls up in a corner to get kicked to death, all the CV can do is watch it happen, and maybe get a little damage in. Further reducing their offensive capabilities till they are a pure support class, would just magnify that. 

Yea, most of that stuff was done by land based aircraft, the smoke drops done in the European theatre, just general fire suppression aircraft  used by fire fighting services, and the heal stuff would be like a combat drop with paratroopers from the airborne in the 1950’s. I know what I said is halfway to reality halfway to fiction as none of that was ever carrier base, but they all existed in military use at one time, and war gaming never had a problem making a HIGH altitude INTERCEPTER a TORPEDO BOMBER and DIVE BOMBER, meaning I would have no problem stretching reality a bit and making a naval variation of them. Also I understand that a pure support class would be suicidal for wee gee, I think a hybrid class would be better where you have more than 3 squadrons, I would prefer a 5 squadron set up with torpedo and dive bombers, fire fighter, smoke drop, and repair kit dropping bombers. The idea would be to make destroyers lives easier while still keeping  some combat and self defense  elements of carriers, these changes wouldn’t need to happen to premiums like Saipan and enterprise as those really should be kept as firepower ships, zeppelin should keep kicking some (you know what I mean)  as the musketeer of the bunch and Kaga could be kept a torpedo master.

I think the changes I listed above should be implemented on tech tree carriers, because let’s face it, all of the tech trees have a way to kill destroyers besides rocket planes, Japan has torpedo bombers with fast danger pylons, America has the freedom dive bombers that can single shot destroyers if rngesus blessed your bombs, and the British have tea bombers that level bomb and burn every ship in existence like it was Dresden.  

Let’s face it, a support squadron instead of rocket plane  squadrons would be an entirely possible improvement to destroyers lives.  I understand the top stuff is un realistic,  but what about giving each nation a different support squadron instead ? Japan loses their bad rocket planes for firefighting planes, America loses their op rocket planes for smoke bombers, and Britain loses their meh rocket planes for a repair plane squadron that drops a repair kit onto whatever ship their reticle is above, the would all drop their support payloads like combat aircraft do with the reticle getting smaller, and Germany gets..... something eventually, I haven’t thought about them yet. But if those squadrons replaces rocket planes then imagine how much better destroyers could perform in games, more knife fighting, more torpedo runs on battleships, less dodging rocket planes and wasting their heals. It would be far better than the current state of the game.

• Meh 1

[KAG]
Members
208 posts
11,490 battles

I am always amused by players who think CVs are OP but also wish the RTS version was brought back.

It shows how dependable the community is for "CV Balance"

Members
59 posts
760 battles
2 hours ago, harkusa said:

just make the CVs all bots all the time and the problem is solved.

There are thousands upon thousands of premium carriers sold, and carriers represent a part of the player-base, less than destroyers, but still like ~20% of the player base. In plain English, THE GAME WILL LOSE A MAJOR SOURCE OF INCOME AND HAVE TO GIVE BACK EVEN MORE MONEY to players that own premium carriers. Warships might just be closed down due to the cost associated with making carriers bots, if you want to fight bot carriers just play in co op mode.

replying and taking out an insult

[GRETA]
Members
1,429 posts
10,883 battles
22 hours ago, Mustelid said:

As someone who plays all ship types and is above average in them I will say I agree with this 100%.  I have suggested it before and think it is a much needed first step to balance. 

With that said, CV were not the only ship/class that was shown to be terribly OP through clan battles.   Cruisers (specifically Stalingrad and Venizia) have basically made DD's and BB's obsolete just as much as CV have.  So if we really want balance,  CV are not the only ships that need to be addressed. 

[KJHWK]
Banned
122 posts
1 hour ago, Penguinattack27 said:

I don't really want to insult you, but where is your brain at ? There are thousands upon thousands of premium carriers sold, and carriers represent a part of the player-base, less than destroyers, but still like ~20% of the player base. In plain English, THE GAME WILL LOSE A MAJOR SOURCE OF INCOME AND HAVE TO GIVE BACK EVEN MORE MONEY to players that own premium carriers. Warships might just be closed down due to the cost associated with making carriers bots, if you want to fight bot carriers just play in co op mode, or is that all you do anyways ?

So you didn't want to insult me but went ahead and did it anyway?

When u have played 8,000 games you will sound much different I think

Members
59 posts
760 battles
4 minutes ago, harkusa said:

So you didn't want to insult me but went ahead and did it anyway?

When u have played 8,000 games you will sound much different I think

No, i meant i would prefer a less heated discussion.