You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ProfessorLumpy

Terrible PTS first experience.

21 comments in this topic

[DRY]
Members
87 posts
6,477 battles

Since I've had unexpected amounts of free time to spend unable to go outside and do anything this summer, I was persuaded to try the Public Test Server for the first time last night.

I set up my account, set up a Pensacola with captain and loaded into Randoms. After a good three minutes or so, I loaded into a one on one game against a fellow in a Devonshire. I laughed, and in chat said "Well look at this. What are we supposed to be testing with this match?"

He replied with the two most offensive words in the English language; the first indicating fornication and the second a racist slur for people of color.

Understanding that this kind of behavior cannot be reported to support when it happens in PTS, I just immediately quit the match.

Disturbed so far, I set up a Bayern and decided to give co-op a try. I loaded into a match with me and bots populating the rest of both teams. Enjoying the game's new soundscape, I played through until one red BB remained, discovering at this point that it had gone past me and my bots on one flank to nestle itself in the corner of the map furthest from me. Bored while i watched bots fight it out, I amused myself by firing on the friendly bot nearest me.

Now finding myself unsettled, disgusted, bored, and pink for five matches.. I'm wondering why in the world anyone does this to themselves?

Bright side... Boy, the game does sound good.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
Just now, ProfessorLumpy said:

Since I've had unexpected amounts of free time to spend unable to go outside and do anything this summer, I was persuaded to try the Public Test Server for the first time last night.

I set up my account, set up a Pensacola with captain and loaded into Randoms. After a good three minutes or so, I loaded into a one on one game against a fellow in a Devonshire. I laughed, and in chat said "Well look at this. What are we supposed to be testing with this match?"

He replied with the two most offensive words in the English language; the first indicating fornication and the second a racist slur for people of color.

Understanding that this kind of behavior cannot be reported to support when it happens in PTS, I just immediately quit the match.

Disturbed so far, I set up a Bayern and decided to give co-op a try. I loaded into a match with me and bots populating the rest of both teams. Enjoying the game's new soundscape, I played through until one red BB remained, discovering at this point that it had gone past me and my bots on one flank to nestle itself in the corner of the map furthest from me. Bored while i watched bots fight it out, I amused myself by firing on the friendly bot nearest me.

Now finding myself unsettled, disgusted, bored, and pink for five matches.. I'm wondering why in the world anyone does this to themselves?

Did you happen to save a screenshot or replay of that incident?  If so, you should send it in anyway, see what happens. 

I'm sorry your first experience on PTS stank.  What day and time (just general) were you on?  

[DRY]
Members
87 posts
6,477 battles

I didn't screenshot. It was fairly late in the evening, perhaps almost midnight. Is this normal on PTS, people being absolute human garbage in chat with the understanding that there are no consequences?

Members
1,603 posts
25,123 battles
10 minutes ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

5 minutes ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

Is this normal on PTS, people being absolute human garbage in chat with the understanding that there are no consequences?

To those who think rather than emotionally react:

Isn't "human garbage" designating precisely the same idea as "the two most offensive words in the English language; the first indicating fornication and the second a racist slur for people of color?"

Isn't it amazing how our condemnations are often a mirror of that we condemn? We just say it nicer, I guess.

Edited by theLaalaa
  • Confused 1
  • Meh 1

[GRAVE]
Members
1,271 posts
18,801 battles
8 minutes ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

First, that guy in that Devonshire should be reported to WG, as that crosses far too many lines

Second, only way to get any PTS missions done or to get games in you have to basically play T10 before 6:00pm EST, any other time it'll be fun to try to get matches in.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,168 posts
14,340 battles
6 minutes ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

I'm wondering why in the world anyone does this to themselves?

Because there are specific questions they want to answer about how a particular ship (that they don't yet have access to) feels like to play, what captain build they should commit to, what a particular captain build does to a particular ship, what changes to the interface are coming in the next patch, and so on. 

Unfortunately, the PTS is never as well populated as the live server and your chances of getting a full random battle at any given hour of the day are much lower than on the live server. You got in on the last day of the current patch iteration, inadvertently picking the worst time to do so - but you weren't to know that.

As for the offensive Devonshire player... well, jerks are everywhere. And unfortunately, the PTS is a bit wild-wild-west in that regard. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
Just now, ProfessorLumpy said:

I didn't screenshot. It was fairly late in the evening, perhaps almost midnight. Is this normal on PTS, people being absolute human garbage in chat with the understanding that there are no consequences?

If you still have the replay, send that, I say. 

As for when to be on, there are usually more people on Saturday and Sunday during the day (US time).  Keep in mind that PTS is an international server, so many of those on are in European and Russian time zones. 

[FGNE]
Members
960 posts
4,568 battles
33 minutes ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

Now finding myself unsettled, disgusted, bored, and pink for five matches.. I'm wondering why in the world anyone does this to themselves?

Sorry you had that experience, I have mostly found friendly people there but as others have stated those people do exist, just ignore them.

Now there are many reasons to play PTS, one is the rewards (which I do not pursue to the fullest), but also, eventually your main account will be cloned to PTS (but you keep the doubloons they gave you for PTS so you can try alternate builds for your ships/commanders and once you are sure you can commit in your main account without regrets.

Edited by CO_Valle

[WORX]
Members
10,694 posts
18,577 battles

1 hour ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

I'm wondering why in the world anyone does this to themselves?

To me, this is like saying... "What is a pastry cook doing with that knife???" or Atlanta cops dont have jurisdiction here in Macon... What are they doing here ???

Few things...

• PTS is a testing environment
  • PTS population is pretty low
  • People new to PTS forget its a testing environment
  • Having only say a few hours left of testing (as you stated with "last night close to midnight"), I am even surprised you even got a match in a tier 6 that late...
    • Heck its already a pain getting tier X and its the must populated.

AS much as I want to believe your story OP, I am calling it as skeptical based the time and the population number (it was test session #2 even LESS people are on).

Until I see evidence to the contrary... I say let it go OP...

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Meh 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
508 posts
16,746 battles

PTS is testing. Expect that and nothing more. Don’t expect players to have skill or players to do what should be done. 

Try some lines you maybe don’t have. Test out the changes. Leave feedback. Go back to the live server. 

Members
832 posts
4,679 battles

The only thing the PTS is worth doing is if you want to test a ship yourself (I did this with the Kremlin before I got it on the main account) because it's much easier to access tech tree ships, and the handful of decent rewards you can get with a small amount of co-op games.

Any real testing is left to supertesters.

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
2 hours ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

I am surprised your experience has been this bad. Not to argue at all, the PT server was down last night.

Hope you next experience will be better!

2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Did you happen to save a screenshot or replay of that incident?  If so, you should send it in anyway, see what happens. 

I'm sorry your first experience on PTS stank.  What day and time (just general) were you on?  

From my experience, CS don't deal with any PT issues. They instead direct you to create an RU account and submit a ticket there. Look at the red box (this is the WGC launcher):

image.thumb.png.e1c59eafbbbb76fc3c8d99cdc462fb40.png

1 hour ago, tfcas119 said:

First, that guy in that Devonshire should be reported to WG, as that crosses far too many lines

Second, only way to get any PTS missions done or to get games in you have to basically play T10 before 6:00pm EST, any other time it'll be fun to try to get matches in.

I think early AM also works.

1 hour ago, CO_Valle said:

Sorry you had that experience, I have mostly found friendly people there but as others have stated those people do exist, just ignore them.

Now there are many reasons to play PTS, one is the rewards (which I do not pursue to the fullest), but also, eventually your main account will be cloned to PTS (but you keep the doubloons they gave you for PTS so you can try alternate builds for your ships/commanders and once you are sure you can commit in your main account without regrets.

I have another reason for playing PTS: Trying to get a Gallant from a Dunkirk container (nope, hasn't happened yet after 1000+ container): 

Edited by henrychenhenry

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts

I'd still suggest sending in the ticket, put the onus on WG as to whether they want to follow up. 

[ARGSY]
Members
20,168 posts
14,340 battles
6 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

I have another reason for playing PTS: Trying to get a Gallant from a Dunkirk container

Perseverance, my friend. :cap_like:

[P237B]
Members
166 posts
1,226 battles
2 hours ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

And I hope you promptly right clicked and blacklisted and moved on. I think life's too short to let some random child on the internet impact your day (or night,) for more than a second. Always makes me sad for their parents, clearly they have a lot of work ahead of them.

[SNGNS]
Members
490 posts
6,042 battles

the thing about pts is thats it is not a testing environment for ships or modes, its a test for stability of the patch and obvious flaws in newly introduced systems. the question they want answered with pts aren't "is kremlin op? do we need to buff shima?" its " does the game start? are there any obvious spelling mistakes? does the armoury even open?"

[WOLFG]
Members
867 posts

Personally, I love PTS.  I get to try out all kinds of stuff that I normally wouldn't try out on the live server in Randoms.  New ships, new tactics, new builds, and you get a few rewards in the process.  I also like the way people play Radoms on PTS.  Brawling,  close in.  Maybe it's just the Russian way of playing, but the games are much  more fun.

Beta Testers
272 posts
4,527 battles
5 hours ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

Turn off chat. Problem solved. I'd say more... but... you seem to bruise easily.

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,527 battles
5 hours ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

Not all PTS matches are as you describe.  Thankfully.  :-)

20200628_185656_PJSA110-Hakuryu_19_OC_prey.wowsreplay

20200629_215556_PJSB021-Izumo-1938_50_Gold_harbor.wowsreplay

20200629_220420_PJSB021-Izumo-1938_47_Sleeping_Giant.wowsreplay

20200629_222151_PASB018-Iowa-1944_45_Zigzag.wowsreplay

20200629_223836_PFSC109-Saint-Louis_18_NE_ice_islands.wowsreplay

20200629_225038_PFSC109-Saint-Louis_25_sea_hope.wowsreplay

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,527 battles
5 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Keep in mind that PTS is an international server, so many of those on are in European and Russian time zones. 

+1

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,527 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Perseverance, my friend. :cap_like:

:cap_look: