You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jitta77

DD vs CV Change to be tested from Dev Blog

224 comments in this topic

[CAP]
Members
295 posts
13,937 battles

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/40

Destroyers and aircraft carriers. In Random and Ranked battles, carriers show a performance which can be compared to the performance of other classes, but there is one exception: attack aircraft often complicate the game process for destroyers. In Clan Battles, this point is getting more notable due to well-coordinated teamwork. Already, we have been working on solutions to this problem for some time. In the near future, we will conduct a test session with the following parameters: Destroyers' detectability range by air will be decreased by half, but when AA defense is turned on, their detectability range by air will be equal to their AA firing range for 20 seconds after the AA guns cease firing. Thus, it will require more skill from a carrier's side in order to interact with destroyers, and destroyers will be given more opportunities to evade the attack with careful positioning. This change can solve the problem on paper, but testing may show various results and implementation into the game can take some time.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/41

Soon there will be a closed test for changes to the detectability settings:

• A ship’s detectability range by air is now equal to the maximum firing range of her AA guns for a period of 20 seconds after her AA guns cease firing;
  • The detectability range by air of all destroyers is halved. 

This change affects detectability only in situations where enemy aircraft are within the range of a ship's AA defenses. It won't affect ships that have a detectability by air higher or equal to their AA range. This system will allow a significant increase in stealthiness for destroyers that turn their AA off: the ship will only be visible from a 1.5 - 2 km range and planes will have little time to set up a good attack run. At the same time, opportunities for attacks against ships that keep their AA on will remain the same.

Edited by Jitta77
New Information
  • Cool 3
  • Meh 2

[CAP]
Members
295 posts
13,937 battles

I also found this FDR related change which seems to want to solve the rocket attack issue by increasing attack line up time.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/39

X FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT

The characteristics of the attack aircraft have been changed:

• The height of flight was increased;
  • Rocket flight time has been increased;
  • The attack time was reduced from 7 to 5 s;
  • The delay between rocket launches has been reduced: the attacking flight now fires all the rockets almost simultaneously.
  • The shape of the sight has been changed: now the ellipse is horizontal.

The old concept of the Roosevelt attack aircraft, which included an elongated vertical elliptical sight and sequential missile drops, proved to be ineffective against most targets. Therefore, we changed the attack mechanics and the shape of the sight of the aircraft carrier attack aircraft to make them more comfortable to use. However, the extended flight time of the missiles to the target, as well as the long distance between the squadron and their sight, which requires attack aircrafts to start an attack at a considerable range from the target, will not allow Roosevelt to become excessively effective against destroyers.

[KWA]
Beta Testers
1,855 posts
6,019 battles

I guess WG wants DDs to have no counterplay against CVs because this will make it so that any DD with AA range greater than its air detection range will ever turn on its AA.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

Beta Testers
4,549 posts
10,891 battles

its a bad Change.

Most DD best option will be to NEVER turn AA on.. Unless they have massive AA.

If it goes from 2.5 Air deteect down to 1.25..  Then your better off staying dark giving CV a limited time to line up attacks.

in short nothing changes.  CV drops fighters on DD.   DD has to turn AA on.    DD gets Wrecked as hes spotted for 20 sec from planes.. at Least CV effective strikes may be limited on Rocket planes to the fighter consumable.. which once again.. is turning a defensive option into an offensive option for spotting... but with that CV will not lose Rocket planes from DD's like shima as your better off never turning it on...

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[-K-]
Members
8,184 posts
13,469 battles

Rather than change the interaction process between CVs and DDs, why not just change the amount of damage rocket planes can do to DDs in the first place?

Like how battleship AP can only deal a portion of it's full potential of damage to most destroyers, why not proportion how much damage rocket planes can do to DDs only?

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,636 posts
2 minutes ago, OseanTanker said:

I guess WG wants DDs to have no counterplay against CVs because this will make it so that any DD with AA range greater than its air detection range will ever turn on its AA.

On the flipside, it would allow DDs with good AA to "ambush" aircraft by waiting until they're detected and then popping on AA while making a hard turn, leaving the aircraft unable to immediately attack and having to maneuver in an AA aura. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
4,549 posts
10,891 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

On the flipside, it would allow DDs with good AA to "ambush" aircraft by waiting until they're detected and then popping on AA while making a hard turn, leaving the aircraft unable to immediately attack and having to maneuver in an AA aura. 

This is only viable for 2 DD at T10.   Then your spotted for 20 seconds vs your AA range and they turn around and thump you.    

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[-K-]
Members
8,184 posts
13,469 battles
3 minutes ago, Spyde said:

This is only viable for 2 DD at T10.   Then your spotted for 20 seconds vs your AA range and they turn around and thump you.    

Sad thing is, it's been what.....a year now and they're still trying to figure out how to fix this core fundamental issue between DDs and CVs?  :Smile_amazed:

• Cool 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,636 posts
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Sad thing is, it's been what.....a year now and they're still trying to figure out how to fix this core fundamental issue between DDs and CVs?  :Smile_amazed:

Remember how the CV rebork was supposed to "fix spotting" and "close the skill gap"?  

:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 4

[SIM]
Members
4,724 posts
7,770 battles

Oh look, a terrible change guided by neither innovation or neccessity, but by CC screeching and forum tears. 

• Cool 9
  • Boring 6
  • Meh 10

[THREE]
Members
2,100 posts
10,631 battles
On 6/30/2020 at 10:50 AM, Spyde said:

Edit: yes, I missed the part in the OPs section.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
Additional info
  • Meh 1

Beta Testers
4,549 posts
10,891 battles
1 minute ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

Uhmm... unless it's part of the change, you go dark pretty much after you shut off your AA. It doesn't take 20 secs like firing your guns, but maybe 1 second for the server to register it.

Destroyers' detectability range by air will be decreased by half, but when AA defense is turned on, their detectability range by air will be equal to their AA firing range for 20 seconds after the AA guns cease firing.

[SYN]
Members
15,721 posts
12,778 battles

I feel like their intended change is going to up the skill wall of CVs even further.

I don't understand why they don't just go with aircraft not sharing spotting.

[ARGSY]
Members
18,877 posts
13,133 battles
2 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I feel like their intended change is going to up the skill wall of CVs even further.

I don't understand why they don't just go with aircraft not sharing spotting.

Because it will let DD unicums run rampant.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 4

[THREE]
Members
2,100 posts
10,631 battles
6 minutes ago, Spyde said:

Destroyers' detectability range by air will be decreased by half, but when AA defense is turned on, their detectability range by air will be equal to their AA firing range for 20 seconds after the AA guns cease firing.

Missed that. Yeah, that's a helluva nerf to DDs.

• Sad 1

[THREE]
Members
2,100 posts
10,631 battles
On 6/30/2020 at 11:11 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

WG dosen't do balancing based on a ship's potential, but on the whole playerbase's performance in them.

Edited by Cpt_Cupcake
  • Meh 2

[SYN]
Members
15,721 posts
12,778 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't know what you are talking about.

Perfect concealment and being able to dictate when to engage or not is what makes DDs powerful in unicum hands.

If their position is spoiled, even if only on the minimap, it ruins quite a lot of their power on the field.

Even then, all it would take is to revert DD air concealment to what it was originally, which is max AA aura = minimum air concealment.

Did you not play in the days when seaplane fighter consumable was actually really good at detecting DDs?

Edited by MrDeaf

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,994 posts
4,505 battles
34 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Not really considering that most AA DD's rely on the DP guns for AA damage, if you ambush the CV planes you will effectively only be damaging them with your medium to short range zones. 

Why can't we have Dual purpose AA on DD's work at all ranges instead for a 1km window is beyond me. 

I mean laffy was blowing Vals out of the sky from 500m out with her 5 inchers... 

[OO7]
Members
427 posts
26,235 battles
2 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I don't know what you are talking about.

Perfect concealment and being able to dictate when to engage or not is what makes DDs powerful in unicum hands.

If their position is spoiled, even if only on the minimap, it ruins quite a lot of their power on the field.

That's why the majority of unicum dds don't play dd anymore in randoms. 

Edited by eagle_lance

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
14,636 posts
Just now, Cobraclutch said:

Not really considering that most AA DD's rely on the DP guns for AA damage, if you ambush the CV planes you will effectively only be damaging them with your medium to short range zones. 

Can the aircraft remain close enough to the DD to avoid the large/DP mounts, while the DD is turning, and also lining up an attack? 

[CRMSN]
5,994 posts
4,505 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Can the aircraft remain close enough to the DD to avoid the large/DP mounts, while the DD is turning, and also lining up an attack? 

In my experience, when I get close to a DD especially with DB I can normally maintain a radius over that DD without going into the DP zone. Rockets may be a different story though. 

MY main issue with DP DD AA is when they catch me off guard while i strike another target.

Example: I am hitting a BB and a Grozovoi opens up with DFAA from like 4km out while I strike the BB

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,159 posts
20,784 battles
38 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Rather than change the interaction process between CVs and DDs, why not just change the amount of damage rocket planes can do to DDs in the first place?

Like how battleship AP can only deal a portion of it's full potential of damage to most destroyers, why not proportion how much damage rocket planes can do to DDs only?

I think that is already the case.  You stated it above.  A broadside of BB HE will flatten a DD.  Likewise, a CV dropping an AP bomb on a DD is all but ineffective while an HE rocket attack is not.  CVs already must choose the proper tool for the job, like BBs above.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
5,994 posts
4,505 battles
1 minute ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Did anyone else read this devblog post and think "They're just now discovering what people have been telling them for a year now"?

This part felt really troll to me.. 

"With the lack of radar and no heal for cruisers, Tier VI Clan Battles might become a refreshing experience, especially for destroyers."

Almost as if they admit that playing high tier DD is not a fun experience...