You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Average_Joe

Why is there no Solomon Islands map in Co-op?

21 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
536 posts
25,076 battles

When I was a newbie, Solomon Islands was one of my favorite maps to play in co-op.  I took a break from the game for a few months, and after I returned I noticed that the map never appears.  It still exists, but only in Randoms.  Did WG ever say why it was removed from PVE play?

Of course, I'm not above seal clubbing with Phoenix in Randoms to get my Solomon Islands itch scratched.  :cap_rambo:

[WOLF5]
Members
1,485 posts
11,047 battles

I love the Solomon Islands map especially in Tier II battles with lots of Tachibanas, V-25s, and Smiths and the torp soup that forms under the contiguous blanket of smoke that forms from all of the bots releasing smoke at the same time in the channels formed at the intersection of those three islands.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,319 posts
28,699 battles

Don't recall it ever being removed, I also enjoyed playing it and would like to see a version of it for higher tiers.

[PVE]
Members
13,925 posts
29,348 battles

Always one of my favorites. I don't play much lower tier these days so have not noticed if it shows less or not? WG has always made it so some maps show a lot more (too much in some cases). Maybe for whatever "WG reason" they have reduced it's appearance?

My last Random game a few months ago was on that map. 

[PVE]
Members
13,925 posts
29,348 battles
1 minute ago, Efros said:

Don't recall it ever being removed, I also enjoyed playing it and would like to see a version of it for higher tiers.

2 Brothers is sort of kind of Solomon Islands for higher tiers.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
2,319 posts
28,699 battles

Sort of but from much more northerly latitudes the town at the south east entrance to the channel has a tower which is modeled from the Wallace monument just outside Stirling in Scotland (I went to college there). I like two brothers as well but Solomon Islands is a good 'un.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 hour ago, AdmiralThunder said:

But worse. 

I think Soloman Islands is still there for lower tiers. 

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
271 posts
7,739 battles

How much you enjoy Solomon Islands is extremely dependent on your ship class.

If you're in a DD, it's a blast.

For most CAs, the same.

But if you're in a BB it can really suck. Most of the BBs at those tiers move at a pace that can be best described as "glacial." And if you've got nothing in range or LOS to shoot at and have to travel around one of those islands or to the other side of the map to find a target, that's the worst. Especially in co-op, where the pace of the matches is pretty fast and the battle is over almost before you even got into the fight.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,319 posts
28,699 battles

In my South Carolina I used to channel camp on Solomons. Park your butt not far from the channel and attempt to pound anything that you see.  Sometimes worked.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,874 posts
25,982 battles

Of all the low tier maps for Randoms, Solomon Islands was the best.  A bit of everything for different playstyles.

[COOP2]
Members
385 posts
10,106 battles

Solomon Island map is there for randoms but I don't think I have ever seen it for Co-op.

If I may make a wild guess (purely conjecture) about why it is not in Co-op, it may be for one of two reasons: 1. the bots don't handle that map well, or 2. the bots handle that map too well when compared to new players.

17 hours ago, Haifischkoeder said:

How much you enjoy Solomon Islands is extremely dependent on your ship class.

If you're in a DD, it's a blast.

For most CAs, the same.

But if you're in a BB it can really suck. Most of the BBs at those tiers move at a pace that can be best described as "glacial." And if you've got nothing in range or LOS to shoot at and have to travel around one of those islands or to the other side of the map to find a target, that's the worst. Especially in co-op, where the pace of the matches is pretty fast and the battle is over almost before you even got into the fight.

Agreed that it is not a very good map for a slow ship if you need to reposition. It's even a problem for something like a St. Louis. One of the reasons the I like the Myogi/Ishizuchi so much in general and on a map like Solomons is because they are significantly faster than their contemporary battleships, even faster than some of the same tier (4) cruisers which allows you to get into position, run, or reposition far more effectively.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,319 posts
28,699 battles

It certainly is in COOP it just doesn't seem to pop up too often.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,045 posts
52,053 battles
On 6/30/2020 at 5:03 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

Blasphemy!!

• Boring 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,440 posts
20,003 battles
1 hour ago, Ironshroud said:

If I may make a wild guess (purely conjecture) about why it is not in Co-op, it may be for one of two reasons: 1. the bots don't handle that map well, or 2. the bots handle that map too well when compared to new players.

It may be a worse version of Two Brothers. Maybe ALL the bots head to the center channel, not just most of them.

[COOP2]
Members
385 posts
10,106 battles
20 hours ago, Efros said:

It certainly is in COOP it just doesn't seem to pop up too often.

It must be VERY infrequently if so many us don't even think it is in the rotation.

19 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

It may be a worse version of Two Brothers. Maybe ALL the bots head to the center channel, not just most of them.

That sounds like something the bots would do.

• Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

As noted, Soloman Islands is a low-tier map.  

If you're not playing low-tier, it doesn't show up, regardless of whether you're playing Randoms or Co-op.  

[WOLF7]
Members
898 posts
8 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

As noted, Soloman Islands is a low-tier map.  

If you're not playing low-tier, it doesn't show up, regardless of whether you're playing Randoms or Co-op.  

The wiki says it's for Tiers 2-5. As a personal observation, I don't think I have ever played it in co-op with any tier 5 ship, however.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Maps#Solomon_Islands

[O_S_D]
[O_S_D]
Members
229 posts
28,412 battles

On Solomon Islands Standard Battle Map, all the bots would attempt to go through the center passage and, if opposed, would gridlock. Like shooting fish in the barrel.

Domination Battle Map would see bots spit up and go two or three different routes.

WoWs could have kept only Solomon Islands Domination Map for Co-op Battles.

AdmiralThunder's observation about Two Brothers is correct.  I've seen four or five bots go up the middle there too.

Edited by Daffyd9x

[PHD]
Members
1,930 posts
7,425 battles
2 hours ago, Daffyd9x said:

On Solomon Islands Standard Battle Map, all the bots would attempt to go through the center passage and, if opposed, would gridlock. Like shooting fish in the barrel.

Domination Battle Map would see bots spit up and go two or three different routes.

WoWs could have kept only Solomon Islands Domination Map for Co-op Battles.

AdmiralThunder's observation about Two Brothers is correct.  I've seen four or five bots go up the middle there too.

I think that is a bot design, they tend to go after the lowest HP ship. If a DD goes up the middle first thing and shoots at the bots, they will all chase it back down the channel.

They will chase on other maps too. I have lead a line of bots across the mP that way.