You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Vego_Mohenjo

How does the AI choose targets?

75 comments in this topic

Members
64 posts
2,773 battles

I'm curious if anyone knows this, because since I purchased the Pensacola, the ship is always the SOLE target of the AI, even when there are other, better targets.  The AI will even stop shooting at targets they're already engaged with so they can shoot at my Pensacola.

It's kind of strange, because this isn't an issue I've had with any other ship.

As an example, I was in a battle tonight where an enemy BB was in close range, fighting an allied BB.  Off to the east another of my allies was engaged with two cruisers and a DD.  Off to the west, another enemy BB was being chased by an allied DD and an allied BB.  All of those allied ships were visible to all those enemies, as they were all in close range.  My ship had gone out of line of sight to everyone by going behind an island (I was evading torpedoes from a DD).  When my ship came out from behind the island, I was in range to attack that first enemy BB I mentioned.  The allied BB was between me and the enemy.  As I was detected, ALL the enemy ships stopped engaging the allied ships near them, and ALL started shooting at my Pensacola.  All 5 enemies (we had already killed 3 of them, one was out of range) were attacking me, to the exclusion of all else.

I was under the impression the AI generally targets the closest enemy, but that's clearly not what's happening.  Anyone how the AI chooses targets?

[HSD]
Members
703 posts
12,349 battles

This is far from being authoritative, but my understanding is:

DD -> CA/CL -> BB (CV I'm not sure where exactly it sits)

HP of the ship plays a part, so the bots will target the lower HP ship between two of the same type. So they have a tendency to blindly focus down a ship that has been hit.

Distance sometimes seems to factor, but I can't say anything consistent as I have noticed bots will sometimes ignore my low HP ship in favour of another, but I can't put any consistency to it. Perhaps there is aggro based on damage you deal?

Cruisers always occupy an awkward spot because friendly human DDs in PVE could be dark to the bots which eliminates them as bot targets, so then they pick Cruisers.

Again this is based on my understanding and is in no way authoritative.

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
742 posts
6,677 battles

It's been awhile but there are times in my DD when three bots will chase me to the exclusion of everything else going on. I think the other players stopped playing for a bit to watch the hilarity.. one of those BB was the new Georgia, and I was in Gearing. I could not escape it, but fortunately turning and launching torps back behind me as I ran would lead to some hits.. we almost forgot to cap and win, and i could barely see from laughing to the point of tears in my eyes. Get it off me, get it off me! LOL.

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,244 posts
25,057 battles

Apologies in advance for being less than helpful, but...

How do bots chose targets?

According to a stupid programming routine that emphasizes ‘priority targets’ on the other side of maps, instead of direct threats punching a bot in the face.

’Priority targets’ are a list of targets, the exact order of precedence WG (rightly so) refuses to positively confirm; but which is most likely along the lines of what was mentioned above.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles

The bots in PvE are not always consistent in their target choices.

Lately over the past years they've been increasingly becoming more unpredictable in their target choices where lowest HP and/or ship type is not the absolute parameters.

I've witnessed a bot cruiser going after a player DD with all its undivided attention ever since it was spotted, but for some unknown reason the bot cruiser leaves that DD alone when it was 3km apart from it as well as the DD being only at 500 hp just so that the bot cruiser would begin to shoot at some BB 12km away with more than 50% health. It was this moment that I just give up on trying to figure out bot behavior because they just do things that makes no sense at all.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,056 posts
8,845 battles

Sadly I have seen these above cases as well. I was chased literally for perhaps 10 minutes by a couple of bots when in the Anshan and even when I theoretically went dark they, of course, continued the pursuit. I have used this behavior to lure bots out of a cap by charging in and firing and then quickly running away causing them to abandon their capping and chase me. I also saw the other night a BB brawling me while in the Salem and then, for no obvious reason swing their guns around and start shooting at another nearly full health BB across the map. I have noticed that toward the end of the battle when there may be only one BB and a CV left that the BB will come toward the CV regardless of anything else when a green ship starts to attack their CV. I have also used that to lure the BB into teammates or to get them out of a cap.

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

General priorities the bots do:  Lowest HP ships spotted, Carriers.

They'll do some odd stuff here and there but in general, the above are what they prioritize the most.  Which is why playing a BB is so easy, the bots often ignore you once the lower HP DDs and Cruisers show their faces.

DD is also stupidly easy if you know how to control vision.

Cruisers?  Well, you're going to be using your WASD keys a lot more than everyone else and working harder trying not to get deleted.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CO-OP]
Members
1,460 posts
24,622 battles

If you're within shooting range they will take the lowest HP target they can hit. This is true even if they are on A cap fighting close quarters with a Cruiser and you are on C cap with a heavily damaged BB, if they can hit you they will.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,542 posts
8,473 battles
4 hours ago, Vego_Mohenjo said:

I'm curious if anyone knows this, because since I purchased the Pensacola, the ship is always the SOLE target of the AI, even when there are other, better targets. 

With the exception of the Mikoyan, there is no better target than a Pensacola.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,695 posts

First spotted. 

Lowest HP, total or relative. 

Occasionally proximity, usually not. 

Some random nonsense I can't parse. 

• Cool 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
491 posts
4,988 battles

It really seems of late that, no matter what I am driving, I am at the top of the priority target list.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,695 posts
2 minutes ago, SkullCowboy_60 said:

It really seems of late that, no matter what I am driving, I am at the top of the priority target list.

That can happen when there are a lot of Randos in PVE trying to grind missions, and you get a bunch that, um, "advance slowly".

You get used to having to fight for every scrap, you push up, and suddenly realize that everyone else is heading for an island or an "extreme flank"... and you're the only thing the bots can see.  Sometimes you can get out of it, and sometimes it's too much trying to evade the suspiciously "just happened to drift to where you maneuvered" fire from 5+ bots. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
7,339 posts
6,234 battles
6 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

That can happen when there are a lot of Randos in PVE trying to grind missions, and you get a bunch that, um, "advance slowly".

You get used to having to fight for every scrap, you push up, and suddenly realize that everyone else is heading for an island or an "extreme flank"... and you're the only thing the bots can see.  Sometimes you can get out of it, and sometimes it's too much trying to evade the suspiciously "just happened to drift to where you maneuvered" fire from 5+ bots. 

^ This is so true.

Ever since the Odin dockyard started, the instances of many green ships being extremely passive has been increased. Sometimes, it does work in my favor as I get the first dibs on close range torp strikes, but more often than not, I end up getting focused by the bots.

Oh well, it is what it is. I can only control my own ship, and no one else's, so I just gotta be extra careful myself.

Members
3,074 posts
6,554 battles
11 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

The bots in PvE are not always consistent in their target choices.

Lately over the past years they've been increasingly becoming more unpredictable in their target choices where lowest HP and/or ship type is not the absolute parameters.

I've witnessed a bot cruiser going after a player DD with all its undivided attention ever since it was spotted, but for some unknown reason the bot cruiser leaves that DD alone when it was 3km apart from it as well as the DD being only at 500 hp just so that the bot cruiser would begin to shoot at some BB 12km away with more than 50% health. It was this moment that I just give up on trying to figure out bot behavior because they just do things that makes no sense at all.

It's a heuristic AI that learns from human players in Random battles, like that Twitter bot Microsoft made one time.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,460 posts
24,622 battles

Good tip, try and be the last person to open fire, unless of course you get spotted first. If you open fire first every single bot that can see you will target you and fire. Bots have no equal when it comes to focus. Alternatively this can be used for fishing for victims if you are looking to, for example, set fires. Fire one turret repeatedly every time it becomes available until you get spotted then await the incoming fire and the bots appearing for you to set fires on. This can work very well on BBs like the Mass, the GK and the Repub.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
491 posts
4,988 battles
3 hours ago, Efros said:

If you open fire first every single bot that can see you will target you and fire. 

This works great if you are shopping for potential damage. :cap_rambo:

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles

Pretty sure there is a priority ranking. Starting with identifying all targets spotted and in range. Eliminating all targets that are blocked by islands (have to do some quick calculations on shell arcs). Then, select target where user name like %Sabot%. Then it starts searching for lowest HP target. etc. Range does not seem to be a factor as a whole bunch of bots will all arrive at the same target selection even when there are "better" targets closer.

Edited by Sabot_100

[PVE]
Members
551 posts
10,276 battles
On 6/30/2020 at 6:41 AM, SkullCowboy_60 said:

Can we div up some time?

edit: I need potential damage and if they shoot at you anyway ...

Edited by evanr1940
  • Funny 1

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
491 posts
4,988 battles
6 minutes ago, evanr1940 said:

Can we div up some time?

edit: I need potential damage and if they shoot at you anyway ...

LOL! Sure, glad to be of service. :Smile_teethhappy:

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
664 posts
13,704 battles

Don't be a threat. Works every-time. Don't turn away. Don't run unless you enjoy the hilarity of the chase.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles
7 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Pretty sure there is a priority ranking. Starting with identifying all targets spotted and in range. Eliminating all targets that are blocked by islands (have to do some quick calculations on shell arcs). Then, select target where user name like %Sabot%. Then it starts searching for lowest HP target. etc. Range does not seem to be a factor as a whole bunch of bots will all arrive at the same target selection even when there are "better" targets closer.

Bots are not consistent when it comes to priority ranking they often times switch targets around on ships that are not convenient to shoot at.

Especially between different ship types they constantly switch ammo types thus delaying their gun fire.

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
10 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Bots are not consistent when it comes to priority ranking they often times switch targets around on ships that are not convenient to shoot at.

Especially between different ship types they constantly switch ammo types thus delaying their gun fire.

Sometimes the bots are doing their calculations so fast that they keep changing their minds. I don't think there is any added factor for where the guns are already aimed and how long it will take to switch targets.

As far as prioritizing players with "Sabot" in the name...I'm sure of it. Especially that Missouri in Narai.  As soon as I get spotted, its aiming at me. Doesn't matter how many green ships are closer or at lower health. And it rarely misses.

Members
541 posts
On 6/30/2020 at 4:54 AM, Vego_Mohenjo said:

I'm curious if anyone knows this, because since I purchased the Pensacola, the ship is always the SOLE target of the AI, even when there are other, better targets.  The AI will even stop shooting at targets they're already engaged with so they can shoot at my Pensacola.

It's kind of strange, because this isn't an issue I've had with any other ship.

As an example, I was in a battle tonight where an enemy BB was in close range, fighting an allied BB.  Off to the east another of my allies was engaged with two cruisers and a DD.  Off to the west, another enemy BB was being chased by an allied DD and an allied BB.  All of those allied ships were visible to all those enemies, as they were all in close range.  My ship had gone out of line of sight to everyone by going behind an island (I was evading torpedoes from a DD).  When my ship came out from behind the island, I was in range to attack that first enemy BB I mentioned.  The allied BB was between me and the enemy.  As I was detected, ALL the enemy ships stopped engaging the allied ships near them, and ALL started shooting at my Pensacola.  All 5 enemies (we had already killed 3 of them, one was out of range) were attacking me, to the exclusion of all else.

I was under the impression the AI generally targets the closest enemy, but that's clearly not what's happening.  Anyone how the AI chooses targets?

Every player account has a secret AI focus boolean defaulted to FALSE.   If you make WeeGee mad with any comment or claim, they flip it to TRUE.

(Not really, but it seems that way)

Edited by Farm_Fresh_Eggs
  • Cool 2

[BB-57]
Members
323 posts
13,644 battles

They'll also prioritize you if you are in a cap regardless of your health or "closeness". In my experience.

[VOP]
Members
600 posts

The AI target choice priority is me>me>me. The AI then triggers its "shell funnel" consumable where I see the muzzle flash, do a 180 degree turn, and still get hit with most of the shells.