Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
db4100

F and H Variant proposals for USS Kentucky (Iowa Class)

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

885
[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts

interesting alternate designs for the USS Kentucky (she was mostly completed).  I like to see the "F" version as a secondary brawler.....

1584848570_USSKentuckyschemeF.thumb.jpg.a8770db792c53a8b7e29046e2b6f11e9.jpg63163314_USSKentuckyschemeH.thumb.jpg.64d8a70ab9e254ec7a56055518f12491.jpg

Edited by db4100
edited title Iowa class

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,132
[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,628 posts
4,994 battles
48 minutes ago, db4100 said:

interesting alternate designs for the USS Kentucky (she was mostly completed).  I like to see the "F" version as a secondary brawler.....

1584848570_USSKentuckyschemeF.thumb.jpg.a8770db792c53a8b7e29046e2b6f11e9.jpg63163314_USSKentuckyschemeH.thumb.jpg.64d8a70ab9e254ec7a56055518f12491.jpg

Iowa class.  No Montana class was ever laid down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
136 posts
11,296 battles

That ship would be fun as HECK if you could manually aim all those 127mm mounts. 

SIR, WE HAVE ACHIEVED MAXIMUM DAKKA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,252
[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,098 posts
4,081 battles

I'd want the BBG version in game:Smile_hiding:

 

Still, looks like the USN carried on it's WWII tradition of bolting AA guns to every available deck space into the 1950s:cap_rambo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
885
[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts
2 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

What are the small (smaller than the 5") turrets supposed to be?

 

76mm AA guns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
6,110 posts
7,416 battles

To my knowledge, those design proposals called for quad 8in gun turrets. Those are CA guns as the main battery, not BB guns.

T9/10 Souper Croozer when, WG?

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
885
[LWA]
Members
1,125 posts
5 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

To my knowledge, those design proposals called for quad 8in gun turrets. Those are CA guns as the main battery, not BB guns.

T9/10 Sooper Croozer when, WG?

ooh.  8" guns whoa.  Super Des Moines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,896
[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,737 posts
4,630 battles

16x 8" auto-loading rifles?  with battleship hull armor?  It would rule the cruiser seas but even with BB armored turrets any self-respecting BB would kill it dead.  The rifles don't have anything near BB range.

The AA variant would be death to planes.  The USN 5" rifles would have to be granted something like their historical effective range to make is a good brawler.

In game it could be fun.  In the real world it would have made no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
788
[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
919 posts
10,128 battles

Thanks for posting these. There is another variant version that I suggested as the tier 10 for a USBB split. Speaking of which, I better get on posting it before Friday...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[MNR]
[MNR]
Members
60 posts
3,731 battles

USS Kentucky and USS Illinois  BB 65 and 66 were originally ordered as Montana Classes but later reordered as Iowas Classes. Late in the war both ships building were stopped and Kentucky's bow was transferred to the The Wisconsin. Kentucky's and Illinois's Engines were used on the first two Sacramento-class fast combat support ships, Sacramento laid down in 1961 and Camden in 1964.

Edited by Spooky39

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,182
[LEGIO]
Members
3,446 posts
7,686 battles

There was also the 'G' variant of the design which has three quad 8"/55RF turrets. Outstanding drawings but there is one minor inconsistency when you compare 'G' and 'H' which drives me crazy.

Now where are designs 'A' through 'E' hiding in the archives I wonder?

The first four Iowas with Kentucky supporting them would be a pretty formidable task force.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,961
[ARGSY]
Members
20,024 posts
14,281 battles
8 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

I'd want the BBG version in game

Terrier BW-0: Speed ~ Mach 2 to about 10nm (20km). Hit probability ~ 50% under ideal conditions. Warhead ~ 200lb.

On the one hand, it has a one in two chance of missing (roll 1d6 for an even number). On the other hand, when it hits (or when the proximity fuze triggers), its instantaneous flak burst damage would be something to behold. 

A Terrier twin launcher fires two missiles every 30 seconds. The guidance radar is obligated to the target until it is either destroyed or successfully evades tracking (so about 25 seconds). Most Terrier ships had one guidance radar per launch rail, except Boston and Canberra, which had one per twin launcher, and Guyatt (Gearing conversion) with only 14 missiles and a single channel of fire.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
769
[REVY]
Members
2,280 posts
12,235 battles
8 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

To my knowledge, those design proposals called for quad 8in gun turrets. Those are CA guns as the main battery, not BB guns.

T9/10 Souper Croozer when, WG?

 

8 hours ago, db4100 said:

ooh.  8" guns whoa.  Super Des Moines.

 

7 hours ago, iDuckman said:

16x 8" auto-loading rifles?  with battleship hull armor?  It would rule the cruiser seas but even with BB armored turrets any self-respecting BB would kill it dead.  The rifles don't have anything near BB range.

^ exactly what I was thinking

 

 

6 hours ago, Spooky39 said:

USS Kentucky and USS Illinois  BB 65 and 66 were originally ordered as Montana Classes but later reordered as Iowas Classes. Late in the war both ships building were stopped and Kentucky's bow was transferred to the The Wisconsin and Illinois's Engines were used on the first two Sacramento-class fast combat support ships, Sacramento laid down in 1961 and Camden in 1964.

As more CVs were required, Illinois and Kentucky were placed on the back-burner, and the Montana's canceled.

Illinois reached the point of the transverse bulkheads being completed before construction was halted due to the end of the war. As she was not far enough along, she was scrapped on the launch way.

Kentucky was completed to a point and was launched. She was later moved into a drydock and the hull was mostly complete when work was paused. Much like USS Hawaii, Kentucky floated in limbo as the Navy tried to decide what to do with her.

Then Wisconsin ran over a DD in the 50s and damaged her bow. The Kentucky's bow was 'clipped' and grafted onto the Wisconsin. Eventually it was decided to simply scrap Kentucky.

And yes, the engines from the Illinois and Kentucky (not Wisconsin) were used in the Sacramento-class. Later when the Iowas returned to service, the Sacramento's were used to train the engineering crews.

Edited by Lord_Slayer
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,182
[LEGIO]
Members
3,446 posts
7,686 battles
39 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Terrier BW-0: Speed ~ Mach 2 to about 10nm (20km). Hit probability ~ 50% under ideal conditions. Warhead ~ 200lb.

On the one hand, it has a one in two chance of missing (roll 1d6 for an even number). On the other hand, when it hits (or when the proximity fuze triggers), its instantaneous flak burst damage would be something to behold. 

A Terrier twin launcher fires two missiles every 30 seconds. The guidance radar is obligated to the target until it is either destroyed or successfully evades tracking (so about 25 seconds). Most Terrier ships had one guidance radar per launch rail, except Boston and Canberra, which had one per twin launcher, and Guyatt (Gearing conversion) with only 14 missiles and a single channel of fire.

Why settle for Terrier? Go for the variant with two twin Talos launchers and send some nuclear warheads their way. You won't even need the six remaining 16" guns with that sort of HE damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
895 posts
3,454 battles
10 hours ago, iDuckman said:

16x 8" auto-loading rifles?  with battleship hull armor?  It would rule the cruiser seas but even with BB armored turrets any self-respecting BB would kill it dead.  The rifles don't have anything near BB range.

The AA variant would be death to planes.  The USN 5" rifles would have to be granted something like their historical effective range to make is a good brawler.

In game it could be fun.  In the real world it would have made no sense.

In real life ranges, its fine. That 8" had a maximum range exceeding 25km. BBs much further again but as no one was going to score useful hits at such range, doesn't matter. 

If Puerto Rico is in the game for "super cruiser" displacement, this could be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×