You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USS_Saratoga_CV3

Stealing kills on WoWs

67 comments in this topic

Members
14 posts

Kills being stolen by an allies is something that will always exist,  if your allies steal kills then you may do very poorly. These are the ways to get the kill

1. Use the chat to communicate with your allies to see if they will let you get the kill

2. Plan when to fire, Firing at the enemy ship when its on low health may get the kill for you

3. Just ram it if you find no way to kill it intime, If the ship is on full health and has more hit points and a higher tier then it will survive the ram

Fair winds and following seas captains!

• Funny 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 17

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,724 posts

Unless there's a mission that demands kills, it's more important for payouts that you do damage.  The LAST thing you want to be is that guy who holds his fire trying to time the kill, while your teammates do all the work of damaging the enemy ship to that point. 

Kills are for show, damage is for dough.

• Cool 16

[XXX]
Members
520 posts
927 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Unless there's a mission that demands kills, it's more important for payouts that you do damage.  The LAST thing you want to be is that guy who holds his fire trying to time the kill, while your teammates do all the work of damaging the enemy ship to that point. 

This is reflected in the rewards, you get a VERY minor buff to XP and credits on kill, it's so minor that you would barely even notice it. What gives you the big bucks is damage and RELATIVE damage at that. Blow a DD out of the water shaving off two thirds of his health with an HE/SAP slavo? That's a major earner despite being a low damage number due to the DDs low health pool. Doing chip damage to Battleships on very low health might get you kills but if you're not going to be reward very well for it.

Members
6,858 posts
15,330 battles
13 minutes ago, USS_Saratoga_CV3 said:

Kills being stolen by an allies is something that will always exist,  if your allies steal kills then you may do very poorly. These are the ways to get the kill

1. Use the chat to communicate with your allies to see if they will let you get the kill

2. Plan when to fire, Firing at the enemy ship when its on low health may get the kill for you

3. Just ram it if you find no way to kill it intime, If the ship is on full health and has more hit points and a higher tier then it will survive the ram

I never ask a team for a kill, but If I see a 5th kill get mostly taken away from me, I'll usually say "rip kraken"in chat and more often then not, they'll let me get the next one.

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[NOG]
Members
134 posts
9,760 battles

I try to be conscious of who is doing what in any given match, there have been many times I could delete a low health ship, but when I see another player who has done all the heavy lifting on said ship I will move on so that player can get the kill. 

• Cool 3
  • Meh 2

[O_O]
Members
6,436 posts
15,330 battles
19 minutes ago, USS_Saratoga_CV3 said:

Kills tend to be an important thing for new players.  Let's face it, a kill is satisfying!  When you are new, getting that kill can seem like an achievement.  And, in many other games (mostly first person shooters), kills ARE a measure of accomplishment.

But, that just isn't the case in World of Warships.  As stated above, you get more XP based on the percentage of damage you do to each ship.  The kill itself (unless it involves deleting a ship from near full health, of course!) doesn't reward much other than a little red ribbon.  I suppose it is a stat, if you are into such things.

The only time kills really matter in this game is 1) to remove the red team so the green team can win; and 2) when there are missions requiring kills.

• Cool 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
506 posts
16,672 battles

I had an Iowa today time shots and hit a ship that I took form 52k to 1100hp with torps. There were a few more torps maybe 5 seconds from hitting.

1100hp for the kill steal. Bit of a bummer. 

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
1,160 posts
10,430 battles

There are players distributed all over the curve on skills and civility. 

Some will play more greedy than you, others will have more skill. 

The trick for me is to find the level of investment I'm willing to make in trying to invite others to behave better(almost nil these days) Plus, how worked up I want to get over behavior that falls below my personal threshold. Which also almost nil. 

You have to be a seriously egregious doosh bag in order for me to consider it worth my attention at all. 

If I report you; you earned it.

If I compliment you, you earned it. 

If I damage your ship & don't own up to it with a mea culpa, well. . . 

You you earned that too. 

Or it was a real furball and ship happens.

it's a game. 

LIGHTENUP_FRANCIS.jpg.68e5f1b54c21dd59685df82c3de99896.jpg

• Boring 2

[CAP]
Members
338 posts
15,131 battles
30 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Mostly correct. The final kill flag is worth about 10% of the XP/Credits for the ship.

[HINON]
Members
13,253 posts

The faster the enemy dies the better. Too many times I've seen games lost when a low health ship sneaks away or gets off a last minute strike nuking an ally. If you arent able to kill a ship before I do, it wasnt your kill.

• Cool 12
  • Thanks 2

Members
3,583 posts
12,963 battles

It isnt something I really think about. On occasion Ill see a teammate with 4 kills, and Ill let him have it for the kraken. But again, it's not something I consider or worry about very much at all. 

Edited by Rollingonit

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

I have never cared about who gets the kill so long as the kill is secured.

A dead enemy cannot hurt you.... But boy they can help you by spamming their chat and distracting the red team.

Call me a kill thief all day but im securing a kill always.

• Cool 4

[WPORT]
Members
5,441 posts
10,482 battles
10 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

I have never cared about who gets the kill so long as the kill is secured.

A dead enemy cannot hurt you.... But boy they can help you by spamming their chat and distracting the red team.

Call me a kill thief all day but im securing a kill always.

:cap_look::Smile_veryhappy:

[FORM]
Members
1,628 posts
11,320 battles
35 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

I never ask a team for a kill...

I never ask either, but if there's a few targets left and I have 4 kills I'll usually type "Kraken?" and if folks are thoughtful I'll +1 them, but I don't ask for it and if they aren't thoughtful so be it. I want to feel like I've earned it when I get it. Ultimately in this game there is no kill steal, just bad luck and bad timing. Always get a ship sunk, always. If it has 1 HP it can still do 100% dmg, sink it.

[NFJF]
Members
653 posts
9,874 battles
49 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I personally feel like I did the time a much bigger favor most of the time if I do 200k and get 1 or 2 kills instead of getting a kraken and doing less than 100k. Being a BB main I consider that especially true because if I take off 75% or more of somethings health, I'd rather do that again to another full hp ship and let my CA teammates use their DPM to finish the last bit of HP off something I mortally damaged.

Edited by admiralsexybeast
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[SIMP]
Members
1,522 posts
11 minutes ago, Jitta77 said:

Mostly correct. The final kill flag is worth about 10% of the XP/Credits for the ship.

Yep. And that's the most frustrating thing, as seen in the examples above. Some complete donkey can wait until a ship is whittled down to nothing - do 1% of the work and claim 10%. The real insult is not only does he get that 10%, but he TAKES that additional bonus away from the person or people would did all the work for it. I'd really like to see coding put in that if you don't do at least 10% of the damage to a ship you get NOTHING for a kill except a shiny ribbon. The person who scored the most damage overall then gets the 10% bonus.

17 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The faster the enemy dies the better. Too many times I've seen games lost when a low health ship sneaks away or gets off a last minute strike nuking an ally. If you arent able to kill a ship before I do, it wasnt your kill.

This is an excellent point. It's pretty obvious when a ship NEEDS killing regardless of whether or not someone else has been working it over. I certainly don't think these kinds of kills fall under the 'stealing' heading. I believe the term is reserved for jerks who intentionally go out of their way to pick off ships when its obvious they are on low health and will easily be killed by those already working on it (inbound torps to low health target, full health battleship brawling at close range to low health target, planes circling for continued attack runs on low health target, etc.)

• Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,724 posts
9 minutes ago, admiralsexybeast said:

I personally feel like I did the time a much bigger favor most of the time if I do 200k and get 1 or 2 kills instead of getting a kraken and doing less than 100k. Being a BB main I consider that especially true because if I take off 75% or more of somethings health, I'd rather do that again to another full hp ship and let my CA teammates use their DPM to finish the last bit of HP off something I mortally damaged.

Yeah, sometimes if a target is taking fire from multiple greens and I knock it down under 25%, I'll just go ahead and start lining up a new target figuring they're going to finish it during my reload, and I can cripple something else next instead.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,117 posts
18,970 battles

If I am shooting at a ship that is because I want it sunk. If you can sink it before me, all the better - I can move on to the next target.

I fail to understand why this is such a difficult concept.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 1

[CLUMP]
Members
818 posts
1,165 battles

Well unlike WOT it takes a while for shots to travel from place to place so some people might not be doing it on purpose :Smile_hiding:

Edited by LastRemnant

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,157 battles

No such thing as kill stealing you either sunk the ship or you didn't its pretty simple .

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Meh 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,724 posts
7 minutes ago, clammboy said:

No such thing as kill stealing you either sunk the ship or you didn't its pretty simple .

90-some percent of the time, you're right.

But then there are those players who hold fire waiting to take the kill after doing none of the work.

• Cool 1

[D-H-O]
Alpha Tester
993 posts

As long as WG keeps stats such as kills/game and kill/death ratios, getting a kill matters...

[LANCE]
Members
792 posts
5,886 battles

I learnt my lesson regarding “kill stealing” quite some time ago. A cruiser had almost killed a DM with about 350+ HP left. I held my fire so not to be a “kill stealer”, the DM turned his guns on my full health Gearing and dev struck me! If I’d have “secured the kill” I’d have survived longer in that battle! So sorry, I’m securing the kill

• Cool 4

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,566 posts
11,157 battles
6 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

90-some percent of the time, you're right.

But then there are those players who hold fire waiting to take the kill after doing none of the work.

I will give you that but still who ever sinks the ship gets the carrot . I never care about my stats except my win rate which is so bad 47% I just want to get to 50% . Don't care about ship kills just winning .

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,724 posts
8 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I will give you that but still who ever sinks the ship gets the carrot . I never care about my stats except my win rate which is so bad 47% I just want to get to 50% . Don't care about ship kills just winning .

Usually it doesn't matter, you're right. 

Just sometimes frustrating when there's a kill mission going on, and it's obvious that someone's kill-farming by holding fire and trying to time it.