Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ComputerWhiz

Why does AA take so long to start firing?

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

145
[F-N-S]
Members
125 posts
3,421 battles

I'm not sure if the AA guns have always done this, but its only really caught my attention recently. If my AA range is 5.5km, why do the guns wait to start firing until the planes are 5km or sometimes even 4.5km away (depending on the planes)?

It's strange that the true AA range is actually ~1km less than what's advertised in the ship stats. It happens on every ship, so it's not just the AA layout of a certain ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,614
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,711 posts
Just now, ComputerWhiz said:

I'm not sure if the AA guns have always done this, but its only really caught my attention recently. If my AA range is 5.5km, why do the guns wait to start firing until the planes are 5km or sometimes even 4.5km away (depending on the planes)?

It's strange that the true AA range is actually ~1km less than what's advertised in the ship stats. It happens on every ship, so it's not just the AA layout of a certain ship.

In part because all AA and secondaries start every battle unloaded, and unlike your main armament, don't start loading until something is in range.  After that, they're loaded and keep reloading after they fire.   If you watch carefully there's a pause before your secondaries start firing, too. 

Why they don't just have them start loading at battle start like mains and torpedoes... well, only WG knows that, and as far as I've noticed they're not telling. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
104
[WOLF1]
Members
352 posts
1,023 battles

And this is why I turn away from the direction of approaching planes so that it maximizes the amount of time the planes are in range before they attack...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
145
[F-N-S]
Members
125 posts
3,421 battles
6 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

In part because all AA and secondaries start every battle unloaded, and unlike your main armament, don't start loading until something is in range.  After that, they're loaded and keep reloading after they fire.   If you watch carefully there's a pause before your secondaries start firing, too.

That's interesting. I didn't know that fact.

Does that just impact the first AA engagement or all of them? I've found that every AA engagement gets the same delay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,614
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,711 posts
3 minutes ago, ComputerWhiz said:

That's interesting. I didn't know that fact.

Does that just impact the first AA engagement or all of them? I've found that every AA engagement gets the same delay.

The delay SHOULD be longer only on the first encounter. 

Are you also noticing damage continuing to occur for a moment to aircraft as they leave your listed AA range?  

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
145
[F-N-S]
Members
125 posts
3,421 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

Are you also noticing damage continuing to occur for a moment to aircraft as they leave your listed AA range?

Can't say I've ever noticed that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,510
[HINON]
Members
13,240 posts
12 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

In part because all AA and secondaries start every battle unloaded

I remember them patching that ages ago.

Edited by RipNuN2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,614
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,711 posts
Just now, RipNuN2 said:

I remember them patching that ages ago.

IIRC, they "fixed" it by splitting up the AA into smaller chunks that load faster, so that the initial load doesn't delay the first damage pop for as long as it did.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
884
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
47 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Are you also noticing damage continuing to occur for a moment to aircraft as they leave your listed AA range?  

Happens all the time with Graf Zeppelin, you take 2 or 3 ticks of damage at as much as 8km from a ship that has a 6km range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,614
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,711 posts
3 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Happens all the time with Graf Zeppelin, you take 2 or 3 ticks of damage at as much as 8km from a ship that has a 6km range.

As I understand it, there's a small delay in the loop, from when the AA code says "planes in range" and when damage happens to the planes.  

So on the way in, it looks like the AA is hitting the planes after they're in range, and on the way out, it looks like the AA is hitting the planes after they're out of range -- but that "trigger" happened when the planes were at or in listed range both times. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
884
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,031 posts
12,710 battles
Just now, KilljoyCutter said:

As I understand it, there's a small delay in the loop, from when the AA code says "planes in range" and when damage happens to the planes.  

So on the way in, it looks like the AA is hitting the planes after they're in range, and on the way out, it looks like the AA is hitting the planes after they're out of range -- but that "trigger" happened when the planes were at or in listed range both times. 

 

I had figured it was something similar and just didn't worry about it. But GZ's high speed planes, especially the torpedo bombers, exaggerate it so it's really noticeable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,096
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,432 posts
6,489 battles
7 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Happens all the time with Graf Zeppelin, you take 2 or 3 ticks of damage at as much as 8km from a ship that has a 6km range.

 

1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

As I understand it, there's a small delay in the loop, from when the AA code says "planes in range" and when damage happens to the planes.  

So on the way in, it looks like the AA is hitting the planes after they're in range, and on the way out, it looks like the AA is hitting the planes after they're out of range -- but that "trigger" happened when the planes were at or in listed range both times. 

 

I've noticed this as well...  I've always attributed it a bit to server desync/lag, perhaps rendering of the damage indicator?   Amazing when you are beyond rendered flak, yet still taking continuous AA aura damage?   Its usually only a tic or two, but obvious,  I almost only ever see it when I am leaving after passing through aura.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
325
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
812 posts
6,560 battles

Just pretend it's the AA director's fault taking too long to issue orders to his section of the ship's AA defense

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×