You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Goal of Ranked Battle is VICTORY

17 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Victory in ranked battle can be defined in only ONE way. The team wins.

Has nothing to do with how many ships you can sink, how many planes you can shoot down nor how many pieces of laundry you can hang on the clothes line. 

While those things play a role they are not the most important. 

When you are winning by a substantial margin but they still have some power DONT GO CHASING THEM. 

In my not-so-expert opinion the best way to win is take two caps next to each other then defend those caps. Nearly 50% of the losses today has come around because of people thinking, maybe even believing they have to kill every red ship. 

It's a lie folks. You win with points obtained via caps and sinking reds.

I know you're all gonna tell me I'm wrong, that's fine. Just keep it clean, above board and within the rules. 

If you know a better way of winning than winning, do let me know. tia

• Cool 12

[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,903 battles
40 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Has nothing to do with how many ships you can sink, how many planes you can shoot down nor how many pieces of laundry you can hang on the clothes line. 

When you are winning by a substantial margin but they still have some power DONT GO CHASING THEM. 

In my not-so-expert opinion the best way to win is take two caps next to each other then defend those caps. Nearly 50% of the losses today has come around because of people thinking, maybe even believing they have to kill every red ship. 

I know you're all gonna tell me I'm wrong, that's fine. Just keep it clean, above board and within the rules. 

I agree with you. I ranked out playing my CV today, i don't go for the glory points of damage but to find and spot enemy DD so my team feels okay about pushing up with no hidden torps coming at them. Sometimes i score high but sometimes i score really low. I'm cool with scoring low as long as we win. 

Scoring big but losing does nothing. Scoring low but winning? I'll take that. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[O7]
Members
1,514 posts
11,703 battles

ìts so sad seeing your team once taking all 3 caps chase into the enemy spawn trying to "win harder" and kill all the enemy ships just shows how little the playerbase knows about winning games.

The amount of times ive seen throws happen because of this is so frustrating they just dont learn.

Edited by ITZ_ACE_BABY
  • Cool 1

[WPE-2]
Members
155 posts
1,271 battles

I disagree ranked is the place you go to grind ships, winning or losing is meaningless when youll eventually get to rank 1 .  

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,903 battles
3 minutes ago, U_NaCi_GirlK9 said:

I disagree ranked is the place you go to grind ships, winning or losing is meaningless when youll eventually get to rank 1 .  

I disagree here. You can spend lots of time losing and not make rank 1. There's many people that don't. Usually the longer they wait the harder it gets.

[META_]
Members
1,832 posts
18,967 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Your right but more almost right.... It took me a long time to have an epiphany... You can win either way... Kills or caps(points) the challenge is to know which one your team will go for.... Some will try to cap.. Some will try to kill all and leave caps.... I make ship tips and tricks. Strategy videos for here and YouTube Meta_man2002 check them out... Happy hunting Captain 😎 

• Cool 1

[WPE-2]
Members
155 posts
1,271 battles
32 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I disagree here. You can spend lots of time losing and not make rank 1. There's many people that don't. Usually the longer they wait the harder it gets.

you may have a small point if you solely consider regular rank not this sprint.  But look at the last season of rank on na the spread was like 60-1300 games to rank out .  Hence as long as you put the time in you'll get it done 

But if you do what the OP states , you may still win and  if you dont you may still save your star . all while grinding ships

Edited by U_NaCi_GirlK9

[SALVO]
Members
8,303 posts
6,174 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Goal of Ranked Battle is VICTORY

On the other hand, the goal in Random Battle is... :cap_yes: ... Victory?

Members
116 posts
1,474 battles
3 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I actually push my DDs to do this, tell them get two caps and we will do the  rest. In my Baltimore, I just hide near the middle cap and blast anything and everything that comes into range with Radar and FREEDOM AP. Teams also this season seem to be VERY COOPERATIVE which is an added bonus, they listen and follow good tactics making this ranked sprint feel really fun. 

[OIL-1]
Members
1,510 posts
2 hours ago, U_NaCi_GirlK9 said:

Yep. It's the best place to grind ships. The extra rewards are also nice.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Hey guys, lots of good opinions here - and thanks for being kind :cap_horn:to my OP. 

I liked the remark about going center (when possible) as that sort of ties back to a recent video by Flamu. I try to temper my thinking along the lines of him and Aeroon.

Heck, I don't mind losing if it was solid battle both sides, you know where both sides walk away with a "dang that was a good battle" attitude. I like winning those as much as anyone but I, at least, always feel good when the team does its best. 

I pull some real bolo moves from time to time... maybe could have had a few more wins today if I played a BB or cruiser but OMG the wait in the queues. Phew. 

Well if you have tips for carrier play in Ranked, other than spotting DDs, I'm all ears. I could be doing something wrong, chasing too many bunnies. 

tia

[BEA5T]
Members
5,302 posts
24,168 battles
8 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I have seen players rank out and never really try?  They are just riding the stomps and don't have to even work at it....  Had a clan mate two seasons ago do exactly what I've said to test the theory......  I've seen endless losses.  Collections of players (notice, I can't even see them as teams) not even capable of disusing "what to do..." let alone do it???  Not whining, just reporting some real experiences  !!!  Fix it and I'll consider coming back.....  Till then..........why???  Constant losses produce no value at all and getting on the Stomping team is less likely than being on the stompee team.  

Solution:  don't ever play ranked or Randoms.  It all comes down to chance on what collection of players you end up on.....  Good luck.  Many of us voted with our feet.

[FAE]
Members
2,625 posts
3,677 battles

yep yep. 

Its amazing how many players can't count. 

Stay alive is rule #1 to winning. #2 is killing. 

Beta Testers
1,038 posts
4,513 battles
4 hours ago, z9_ said:

Yep. It's the best place to grind ships. The extra rewards are also nice.

I need to just focus on grinding ships. Getting three unwinnable and one blown game (first!) in a row starting one star below an irrevocable rank is *incredibly* frustrating. 

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles

Agreed.  I've had multiple battles where I had to go cap... in a damn Bismarck.  I didn't even bother today because of what you mentioned and one more thing.

"Oh my god!  It's the ENEMY!  RUN!!!"

To your point, friendly CV chasing the kill on a Chappy who had fully turned and ran to the 1 line (or whatever it was) and was steaming away as fast as he could steadfastly ignoring the DDs in the middle.  All the while yapping away how we (myself and a Baltimore) should have been killing the Chappy.  From ~20km.  Yep, you guessed it.  Odds of me blapping a dodging-kiting Chappy with German 380's from distance were spectacular.  Meanwhile I have to tell the Baltimore to actually get IN the cap with me.  <sigh>

To my other piece of mind numbing chagrin. First sight of enemy, tuck tail and run.  Don't kite, don't cap, just find a rock to hide behind.  Maybe they'll go away. After wrangling a plan out (should we bother with communication skill?  I thought not).  Team to C, then B and hold it.  Oh Noes!  Enemy at C!  <heavier sigh>.  I'd rather Fireball Forward, especially when you have a number advantage, and let the most skilled team with in a quick match than go the distance only to watch an Akatsuki on the I line torping randomly.  

[COB]
[COB]
Beta Testers
880 posts
6,505 battles
13 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Hey guys, lots of good opinions here - and thanks for being kind :cap_horn:to my OP. 

I liked the remark about going center (when possible) as that sort of ties back to a recent video by Flamu. I try to temper my thinking along the lines of him and Aeroon.

Heck, I don't mind losing if it was solid battle both sides, you know where both sides walk away with a "dang that was a good battle" attitude. I like winning those as much as anyone but I, at least, always feel good when the team does its best. 

I pull some real bolo moves from time to time... maybe could have had a few more wins today if I played a BB or cruiser but OMG the wait in the queues. Phew. 

Well if you have tips for carrier play in Ranked, other than spotting DDs, I'm all ears. I could be doing something wrong, chasing too many bunnies. 

tia

I ranked out playing mostly my Kaga in 21 matches at 76%win rate. For me, I made sure to communicate with the team coordinating which caps were the goal. All wins happened when we picked 2 caps and didn't rush in. 

At the start of each map I prioritized spotting the reds, especially enemy dds and identifying what caps the reds wanted. When attacking I focused on solo or yolo fools first.  When ships clumped or island humped, I used torps. Sometimes this caused players to reflexively try to evade. Half the time players will tunnel in on planes and turn away, forgetting that they have exposed a broadside to my friendly team with predicable results.

Kaga attack planes are not that effective vs dd but can reset caps well and start fires. I relied on fires for much my damage. Bombers against dds was particularly effective. I only chased reds when we had a comfortable cap/point advantage... almost always the last half of a match. Many of our teams kills were related directly to spotting, particularly late game when reds were on the run or hiding.

I did far less damage than I typically do because , as you said, winning was the goal, not my personal score. Hence the spotting and strategic target choice. Good luck and have fun!

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
38 minutes ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

I ranked out playing mostly my Kaga in 21 matches at 76%win rate. For me, I made sure to communicate with the team coordinating which caps were the goal. All wins happened when we picked 2 caps and didn't rush in. 

I'm gonna say that's a pretty good run there, commander. I feel you have offered some great advice here. Obivious? Perhaps, but many of us fail (quite often I must suggest) to see the obvious. 

Congrats - and I'm gonna put some sandpaper to the rough edges of my tactics, see if I can get emulation. 

• Thanks 1