You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Toxygene

One more time - Who owns your torpedoes?

27 comments in this topic

[O2]
Members
229 posts

You do. And if you fire them into a friend by mistake you say "I am sorry". Get it?

• Cool 9
  • Boring 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,138 posts
4,090 battles

Same with your shells, though it's not as common. Yesterday I took a shot a low HP BB who looked like he was trying to ram one of our cruisers. Unfortunately the cruiser had dodged the ram and was performing a drive-by as my 16in shells arrived. I got a kill, just not the one I wanted. Maybe foreseeable, but I would have had to look hard and I was trying to save my ally from the ram. Accidents happen, but it was my fault. He was pretty good natured about it, I apologized, and it didn't end up mattering in the end. I was pink for a couple games to remind me to be more careful. And torps are worse. Every time I take an ARP ship into Coop for a mission it seems I end up torping someone on accident. But own up to your mistake, take the pink, and be more careful next time.

If it came from your ship, you're responsible for it, end of story.

• Cool 2

Members
4,374 posts
11,269 battles

Well, according to the TOS, WG owns them and you’re just borrowing/renting them... :Smile_trollface:

Spoiler

But yes, you own any and all ammunition you launch/fire/drop, and none of it’s actually friendly. Probably 90 something percent of friendly torp hits are accidental, but it doesn’t matter, they’re still not ‘friendly.’ Have I had people do it intentionally? On one or two occasions, yes (and that’s not just an assumption without any evidence, that’s based on the player stating both well before and after in chat that they intended to do it for the sole purpose of turning someone pink).

Honestly, there have been one or two times I can think of where I have either knowingly turned into friendly torps or knowingly and consciously chosen to not try and avoid them. Both times I could have turned to avoid them, but that turn would have put me flat broadside to a battleship at about 6-9km that I knew was aiming at me; I made the decision that eating one friendly torp, taking a few thousand damage, and turning someone pink for a few games but staying alive to dodge or bounce the battleship salvo was worth much more for the team than avoiding the torp, getting blapped or permanently crippled, and throwing away a relatively healthy cruiser for basically nothing.

Of course there was one time (in a co-op battle) where I intentionally didn’t even try to avoid them for slightly nefarious purposes. I had a Benham on my team that had been shooting and torping only in the direction of teammates the entire game (and hitting them enough he was already pink) rather than contributing to the game (and he’d even announced in chat he was going to intentionally throw because we didn’t listen to him when he told us to let the bots win because our team didn’t deserve to win). So I may have ‘accidentally’ not tried to turn away when he sailed up next to me and launched a full set directly at me from just outside arming distance (I ate two that were unavoidable either way, but wasn’t quite able to get the third). He blew up (as the second to last allied ship alive), and I had about a minute of peace and quiet while I charged down the last enemy Mino and shoved some AP into his side. He ended up at the bottom of the team by quite a bit, got out scored by some of the losing bots, and I never saw him again (whether it was because of a ban or a rename, I don’t know and I really don’t care). Was it petty? Sure, but in the moment it did feel pretty good. 

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Boring 2

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
5,644 posts
4,353 battles

While playing with the Gneisenau, I once torpedoed a friendly Farragut that was less than 3 km away. It was between myself and an enemy Scharnhorst. I knew it was there, but for some reason I launched the torps anyway. 

That's the only time I've ever torpedoed a friendly destroyer while in a battleship.

Members
834 posts
4,679 battles

This again.

It doesn't matter who "owns" them, or if the other guy potatoes into them.

The only thing that matters is that by launching torps a friendly can get hit, and you can get a minor punishment. Or you can get tk'ed by badly launched torps.

Just accept it and move on.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,281 posts

The taxpayers own those torpedoes! So don't write checks you're butt can't cash!

• Funny 1

Members
760 posts
15,984 battles
2 hours ago, Toxygene said:

You do. And if you fire them into a friend by mistake you say "I am sorry". Get it?

My torps are given freely to any and all!

Eh...I don't actually play anymore so, there is that.

Edited by RevTKS

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
1,161 posts
10,892 battles

Why ask the question if you already knew the answer?

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,303 posts
6,266 battles

Once mister torpedo has left the tube, he is no longer your or anyone else's friend. So be sure not to point him at people one your team.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,190 posts
19,055 battles

The answer is in the question. Nobody asks "Who owns that guy's torpedoes".

[SIM]
Members
4,943 posts
8,026 battles

The God-Emperor owns all of my ordnance and guides my hand. If my torpedoes sank you, then He found your faith wanting. :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1
  • Haha 3

[USCC2]
Members
6,060 posts
6 hours ago, Toxygene said:

Everyone on the field of battle is responsible for their actions, from the person firing their torpedoes to the idiot that has done nothing all game, then decides to Leroy Jenkins into the middle of a kill zone and cries because they are hit by some of the team who never considered such a level of stupidity.

I often get apologised to by the friendly who fires rounds/torpedoes that hit me - but I have never had me or the team get an apology from the idiot that thinks it's his right to run into the kill zone and expect everyone else to watch lol.

Edit: What person disagrees with everyone is responsible for their actions lol

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Boring 2

[5D2]
Members
228 posts
9,492 battles

Can we reiterate this to all the weekend warrior 20K Shima players and back line torping Yoshinos please?

• Cool 1

Members
470 posts
4,399 battles

after give or take 10 secs of being launched the only owner is the force, Unfortunately every now and then  the force like to troll and make your allys turn and move several kilometers to intercept the torpedos. :Smile_hiding:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,359 battles
8 hours ago, Toxygene said:

Or at the very least "oops".

That being said, I blundered into a friendly Nevsky's torp salvo in my Amagi yesterday while chasing down the enemy ship the Nevsky was trying to torpedo. There was no getting angry with him, and it would have been foolish to demand a grovelling apology. That one was entirely my fault, and I knew it. I was fixated and kill-greedy with the match in its final seconds (on points), and I straight-lined at too high a speed for too long. The battle ended almost immediately afterward, so there was no time for him to say anything, but I messaged him to take the blame. 

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
459 posts
20,356 battles

I subscribe to the theory that it's my ordinance and I'm responsible for any damage it does no matter what unexpected maneuver my teammates might make.  

Last night, I was in Benson in a co-op match.  I was sitting in smoke and a Gneisenau ran through my smoke as I waited for a red Cleveland to clear an island.  I finally was able to launch my torps with the Gneisenau out front.  His torp angle was shorter by that time and he got the kill, stopping the Cleveland from catching my torps.  He continued forward, engaging a BB, and made a hard turn to starboard right in front of my torps that had been launched at the Cleveland.

I put up an 'I'm sorry' chat message which was answered by two Gneisenau shells coming my way.  Thinking he fired at me before seeing my message, I let the attempted TK go without saying anything.  Then I got a salty message from him.  This generated a response by me that should have gotten me chat banned.  We then both put up some less than professional messages, and when his torps reloaded and he fired a full volley my way which I made no attempt to dodge.  So we both wore pinkness into the next two battles.

I'm still sorry one of my torps hit the Gneisenau, and I'm even more sorry for losing my composure in chat.  Had I gotten chat banned, I would have deserved it.  :Smile_sad:

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
5,900 posts
17,954 battles

All of my torps are launched (i.e., shipped) Free on Board (FOB).  

[ALL41]
Beta Testers
2,177 posts
9,446 battles
9 hours ago, Toxygene said:

They're mine until they leave the ship. 

After that, they the property of whoever takes them. 

I've been pink more times I can bother counting because Im on the far side of the flank, ahead of my entire team on the side, fire torps at a traffic-bottleneck location (you know, where everyone knows ships pass through or go to hide)... the slow, long range IJN torps arein the water for a long time..and out of nowhere some jkahs in a speed ship like kleber dashes from the middle of the map to right in the path of my torps and ignores all my calls in chat and minimap that he is sailing into the torps I fired quite some time ago ... and that person doesnt read or care and gets hit by them. 

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

I own my House, Trucks, Boats and everything in them (except my guns those got lost overboard in the horrible boating accident) but torps, I only own them if they do damage to the red ships.

I blame wegee for the horrible players.... they really don't have even a remotely halfway decent "How To" manual or videos.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,359 battles
11 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

they really don't have even a remotely halfway decent "How To" manual or videos.

You can't write a manual for this game because it's constantly changing - and that change is what keeps it alive.

Even if you could, it'd be pointless to think that it would fix bad play. The information is out there - here in the forums, on YouTube, in the Twitch streams of the better players, and so on.

People who care about being good go looking for information on how to improve.

People who don't care about being good don't go looking for information either because they are too clueless to do so or because they deliberately go out of their way not to. They wouldn't absorb the lessons if you engraved them on the bow of a burning Kawachi and shoved it up their left nostril. 

Don't blame Wargaming. Blame the bad players. IT IS THEIR FAULT.

Members
6,860 posts
15,357 battles
10 hours ago, Toxygene said:

I usually go with the tried and true "ha, take that sucker" 

• Funny 1