Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

A Large Idea - New Game Mode

8 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

955
[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles

Okay. so I have been giving this a fair bit of thought and I want to flesh it out here beneath the feet of the player base. A new game mode. Hopefully this potentially could have the effect of bringing more people to the game. Also yes there is a way to make money off this WG. So hold on to your hulls.

 

GAME MODE - Waves of Fire (name not set in stone)

This game mode would almost operate like a campaign mode. The idea behind this would to give a long lasting experience that could be played from multiple nations, allow progression more naturally, and offer a more in depth and interesting game play experience without ever really changing large portions of the game.

How this works is each player can start this game mode at tier 3. It is an optional game mode and would in no way be something to force upon the player. You can participate with any nation that has DD, CA/CL, and BB tree's.That means the following nations would be playable immediately off the bat:

- Japan

- USA

- UK

- Germany

- Russia

- France

 

Other nations could be added to the game as their tree's become complete.

 

So continuing on this game mode would be a large style game mode you can only complete once a year and would reset 1 year from when you started each nation's "story".

 

The Story

The story for each nation is not historical, but in a way it is. You will start each year that the nation itself began fighting in the war. You will start off at battle points that are tier locked. In these battle points you will que in with a ship of that nation with that specific tier lock. You will be given an opportunity to fight in each available class at that tier.

Your enemy will be one of the opposing forces nations depending on where in the world you are fighting. This will result in fairly common match-ups (UK vs Germany) and rare match-ups (US vs Italy). As you win battle points your progress will be shown on a world map progressing from one battle point to another with the maps changing based upon what area of the world you are in.

Some of these encounters may be based off historical events while others may be made up events or what if scenarios.

You will fight PvP in these games but your team will be made up of a single nation at a single tier fighting another enemy nation of a enemy tier.

Each battle will provide battle conditions that are to be met. These battle conditions will affect later battle points.

An example of a battle condition would be, You have to survive in your ship of the next battle point involving that nation at that tier that ship is unusable for one game. Or another being winning more XP by capping but more credits by destroying all the ships.

 

This give weight and consequence for your actions or in-actions.

 

As you progress eventually battle points will go up further and further in tier with the final battle points involving tier 10 ships.

 

The End

Once you complete all the battle points of a nation leading to the last year they were in the war you get an ultimate reward. This is TBD. I cannot say what it would be as it could honestly range from anything to a unique ship or unique commander with 19 talent tree points.

However each tree would offer this at the end making an incentive to finish the mode for each nation. Since it is a yearly thing it can change year to year or even stay the same as some may not be able to meet all the conditions to get the ultimate reward.

 

Special Battles

So within the battle points occasionally player can run in to Special battles. These are essentially battles that took place in real life that players have a chance to experience again. They can also be battles that could of realistically happened but never did for various reasons. The idea is that these battles would be one off opportunities for players to score something unique for their ships or just themselves.

Like battle points they would have tasks they have to meet and ultimately accomplish to be considered a win.

Also these battles would have greater restrictions about what ships you can bring to the battle in terms of tier and type.

 

The Wrapup

So there lies my ultimate idea for a game mode. This would go hand in hand with normal random battles and Co-op. The idea is to give a longer lasting mode that needs very little updating, can use existing maps and ships, not require AI, and provide a more unique game play experience.

Yes there are kinks to work out and certain aspects that may others can determine are tricky to pull off. However I do believe this could be a fun and exciting game mode with tons of opportunity for expansion and innovation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
955
[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles
17 minutes ago, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

So these battle point become a "NEW" currency.... No thx

New currency? No they aren't points in the sense of points on a scoreboard, they are points in the sense of locations on a map.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,794
[AXANR]
Members
3,633 posts
22,452 battles

It 's a nifty idea, but there's some issues.

I can see queue times getting long as you wait for 12 people to load in with the same nation, especially for the less popular or more powercrept nations. 

Also, the game isnt really balanced well for this; different national tech tree lines have different strengths and weaknesses, but the game is balanced for the way it is now, with mixes of different ships from different nations with different strengths and weaknesses on the same team. Even setting aside player perceptions of some nations as OP or underpowered, some tech trees would really struggle against others in a nation-versus-nation format even though they do well in the current format.

Take, for example, the RN...UK BBs are mostly built around HE-slinging BBs which means they will have trouble stacking fires when all the BBs are slinging HE (their AP is much more useful than people think but thinking of the way typical players play them), their CLs are AP-only and very situational...

As a second example, take the Russians...at lower tiers, there would be ZERO effective torpedo threat as almost no pre-tier 8 Russian DDs have torp ranges higher than 4k (excwpt for premiums Grem and Leningrad, and Grem is super rare.) So they'd be super strong for anti-DD work and speed-tank HE spam, but in a normal round a mix of DDs from different nations provides a variety of threats for opposing ships. 

Also, only three (soon four) nations have carrier tech tree lines, which would be problematic in and of itself for queue waiting times as any nation which has CVs is going to play other nations with CVs more often than not if there are any CVs in the queue, and could slow down queues even more for those nations waiting for a CV matchup. 

And...I'm not sure if the game population as it stands is strong enough to support another full-time 12v12 game mode. 

I *could* see this as an interesting experimental format in ranked sprints, where WG has shown willingness to test out odd or non-traditional game modes (like the 1v1 sprint over the winter.) Doing a ranked sprint season where teams are single-nation would be interesting, especially up at a higher tier where the prevalence of premiums with differences from the normal national flavors gives some variety. But I don't know how hard that would be for WG to code into the game, since I'd imagine this would require a pretty heavy rework of the current code for matchmaking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
955
[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles
1 minute ago, poeticmotion said:

It 's a nifty idea, but there's some issues.

I can see queue times getting long as you wait for 12 people to load in with the same nation, especially for the less popular or more powercrept nations. 

Also, the game isnt really balanced well for this; different national tech tree lines have different strengths and weaknesses, but the game is balanced for the way it is now, with mixes of different ships from different nations with different strengths and weaknesses on the same team. Even setting aside player perceptions of some nations as OP or underpowered, some tech trees would really struggle against others in a nation-versus-nation format even though they do well in the current format.

Take, for example, the RN...UK BBs are mostly built around HE-slinging BBs which means they will have trouble stacking fires when all the BBs are slinging HE (their AP is much more useful than people think but thinking of the way typical players play them), their CLs are AP-only and very situational...

As a second example, take the Russians...at lower tiers, there would be ZERO effective torpedo threat as almost no pre-tier 8 Russian DDs have torp ranges higher than 4k (excwpt for premiums Grem and Leningrad, and Grem is super rare.) So they'd be super strong for anti-DD work and speed-tank HE spam, but in a normal round a mix of DDs from different nations provides a variety of threats for opposing ships. 

Also, only three (soon four) nations have carrier tech tree lines, which would be problematic in and of itself for queue waiting times as any nation which has CVs is going to play other nations with CVs more often than not if there are any CVs in the queue, and could slow down queues even more for those nations waiting for a CV matchup. 

And...I'm not sure if the game population as it stands is strong enough to support another full-time 12v12 game mode. 

I *could* see this as an interesting experimental format in ranked sprints, where WG has shown willingness to test out odd or non-traditional game modes (like the 1v1 sprint over the winter.) Doing a ranked sprint season where teams are single-nation would be interesting, especially up at a higher tier where the prevalence of premiums with differences from the normal national flavors gives some variety. But I don't know how hard that would be for WG to code into the game, since I'd imagine this would require a pretty heavy rework of the current code for matchmaking. 

The other option would be to have it VS AI.

CV's would not be required for any of the game modes. I would even consider excluding them altogether but that forms it's own issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,092 posts
2 minutes ago, otakuben said:

New currency? No they aren't points in the sense of points on a scoreboard, they are points in the sense of locations on a map.

Ok now I get it, Win and move forward on map. kinda like Diablo II 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
955
[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,335 posts
1,977 battles
Just now, Nikolay_Kuznetsov_ said:

Ok now I get it, Win and move forward on map. kinda like Diablo II 

yes, exactly like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,690
[SALVO]
Members
4,470 posts
3,825 battles

Well you know, I would play it. But I'm not the one you need to sell the idea to. 

Keep making noise, lets hope someone somewhere gets inspired. We surely need more game modes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×