Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_djv4ZCNmZ56F

Welp, I understand why people play CV, now.

57 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

382
[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,658 battles

until you get uptiered then it gets a might stressful, not a lot but a tad. Though if someone can explain to me why the Sexy Lexi gets better torps than the Midway *shrugs*, seems kinda weird..hit harder, sure there's less of them but IIRC the aiming pattern is tighter and faster so...yeah...

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,068
[OIL-1]
Members
1,463 posts

It's not bad, but here's the thing.
In the end, you're flying around in planes attacking stuff.
If that's what I wanted to do, there are much better flying games available.

  • Cool 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Guest
0 posts
35 minutes ago, z9_ said:

It's not bad, but here's the thing.
In the end, you're flying around in planes attacking stuff.
If that's what I wanted to do, there are much better flying games available.

100% agree. I put off playing CV for so long for that very reason. I mostly just started playing them so I could understanding how to counter them more effectively, then I sort of got into it. It's a nice chill-out.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Guest
0 posts
2 minutes ago, mrieder79 said:

100% agree. I put off playing CV for so long for that very reason. I mostly just started playing them so I could understanding how to counter them more effectively, then I sort of got into it. It's a nice chill-out.

How many DDs you run into in randoms with AA just on all the time? I see it every single day. I do enjoy CV as well. I just wish it took on more of a team captain role but due to recent spotting changes I dont see that happening.

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles

This is really my only flying game outside of battlefield and its pretty fun. Spend some time checking out everything. You're looking at the map a lot; who's parked, who could use help. I like it.

  • Cool 2
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
484
[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,892 battles

I liked playing RTS CVs. Then, when the Great Wreak (aka the CV rework) happened I stopped playing CVs for over a year.

It rook over a year for WF to finally remove three T4 CVs a side. You know,  let play get completely wreaked at T4 with three Cvs a side.

Now I play CVs again, well, only T4 where it is still common to see two T4 CVs a side terrorizing the other players.

So, if WF is going to allow this garbage terrorizing to continue I will use this exploit too.

This exploit allows reworked CV haters to, potentially, drive players away from WoWS.

This is sweet revenge, imho,  for the Great Wreak  WF forced onto WoWS.

This is why I play CVs now. :cap_rambo:

 

  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,196
[WOLFC]
Members
2,509 posts

I never really enjoyed pre 8.0 CV's as it was a totally different form of play then running other vessels - all map work with little to no interaction with the rest of the team.

 

Rework CV is a bit like those times when you are off the side of the map after a successful firefight and heading a straight line back into things waiting for your circles on your mini map to get within range  -  that's 70% of a CV game.

 

70% - flying in

20% dodge the flak

10% - OK recticle lets see what happens THIS tiime

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
675
[WOLF7]
Members
898 posts
51 minutes ago, z9_ said:

It's not bad, but here's the thing.
In the end, you're flying around in planes attacking stuff.
If that's what I wanted to do, there are much better flying games available.

I agree with you. I'm not going to get into the CV debate, because I don't really have an opinion as to how they work or don't work in the game. However, I tried the Langley and I found it to be uninteresting. Flying the planes was not a good flight sim experience, and there are no deck management (rearming, repair, launching/arresting) or CV command features which could be an interesting game in its own respect, so I sold that ship, retrained the captain and never looked back.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Hmm... where to begin here?

There's another whole line of 'em coming folks, so best move on to preparing your Sub rants when they move into random battles. Have we heard anything from the live server test yet, officially? I'm personally looking forward to the German carrier line. 

It will probably disappoint as did the last two British/English carriers did, at least for me. 

You know - there's an aspect of CV play rarely talked about... it is sometimes reminiscent of WWI fighter pilots. Opposing carrier planes approach each other at the start of the match, like two gunslingers. They rotate away from each other but still continue towards their original goal. No fighters are dropped. Perhaps a salute passes between them, I dunno. (They're too small to tell). 

I suspect this happens because the carriers are, bottom line, both on the receiving end of so much anger and hate. So it's a "I'll deal with you after I deal with your team mates" moment.  You won't see the option to not engage occur with any other ship type, would you? 

Just observations. Like today, someone was telling me how to play a carrier. I asked and found out - presuming they would be honest - they had never played a carrier. Looks easy until you have to do it. 

The older RTS had a limit for me - the strafing mechanism. I simply could not manipulate my fingers fast enough. So I stayed at or below Tier 6 back then. 

Most of you may not remember the old RTS style carrier play... but lordy how I miss cross-drops. I can almost get them done in my Kaga these days, but it simply is nothing close to the old school way. Good times. 

Carriers were far more deadly back then. 

 

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
997
[TIMT]
Members
1,713 posts
5,604 battles

After a long time I just hopped back into Langley to see how it feels. Meh.

For context: I am on team "CV broken, need fixing asap", I don't want to start the conversation about that, just thought to get that out of the way. But this also means I never really played them. I got my Langley to maybe 30k XP until now and never really paid much attention how to spec her. So this is just for reference when describing my experience with 'flying' CVs.

The controls and concept are pretty intuitive, takes some time to get used to and I would concede there is some degree of skill and practice involved with DBs and TBs. Rocket planes (at least on Langley) are dead simple. Now it is fun to some degree, but very formulaic in the sense of how to play and quickly gets stale (I usually dont play more than 2-3 games before it is boring to me). What struck me as bad game design was that the longer the game continued, the lower the stakes became for me. Even if we are ships down, the limited number of ships on the red team meant I could focus more easily, get my strikes in more deliberate and just ruin someones game. The last three red just got dropped by our 2 CVs. Might be because it is Tier 4 that the game becomes easier for CVs the longer it goes (no fighters, weak AA, mostly new players etc.) and this is different in higher tiers. Though, I don't see myself grinding out higher tier CVs or wasting the amount of fXP needed for that.

Somehow, having experienced how CVs are played makes me even more angry when I get focused by a CV in other ships though. I know there is just someone playing this casual PvE game, where I am just a target on the map with nothing I can do to deter the CV.

So my question would be, is there something I missed about playing CVs that you think would change this for me? I am genuinely interested here! As I said, probably won't grind out a whole CV line for this, but please tell me if I am wrong here and just missing the obvious. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[-ARM-]
Beta Testers
1,018 posts
12,227 battles
30 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

After a long time I just hopped back into Langley to see how it feels. Meh.

For context: I am on team "CV broken, need fixing asap", I don't want to start the conversation about that, just thought to get that out of the way. But this also means I never really played them. I got my Langley to maybe 30k XP until now and never really paid much attention how to spec her. So this is just for reference when describing my experience with 'flying' CVs.

The controls and concept are pretty intuitive, takes some time to get used to and I would concede there is some degree of skill and practice involved with DBs and TBs. Rocket planes (at least on Langley) are dead simple. Now it is fun to some degree, but very formulaic in the sense of how to play and quickly gets stale (I usually dont play more than 2-3 games before it is boring to me). What struck me as bad game design was that the longer the game continued, the lower the stakes became for me. Even if we are ships down, the limited number of ships on the red team meant I could focus more easily, get my strikes in more deliberate and just ruin someones game. The last three red just got dropped by our 2 CVs. Might be because it is Tier 4 that the game becomes easier for CVs the longer it goes (no fighters, weak AA, mostly new players etc.) and this is different in higher tiers. Though, I don't see myself grinding out higher tier CVs or wasting the amount of fXP needed for that.

Somehow, having experienced how CVs are played makes me even more angry when I get focused by a CV in other ships though. I know there is just someone playing this casual PvE game, where I am just a target on the map with nothing I can do to deter the CV.

So my question would be, is there something I missed about playing CVs that you think would change this for me? I am genuinely interested here! As I said, probably won't grind out a whole CV line for this, but please tell me if I am wrong here and just missing the obvious. Thanks.

With the old RTS style CV play, your friendly CV could take a far more active role in defending the team against air assaults by actually directing fighter squadrons to intercept attack planes. Now, it's just dump a static CAP and hope that A: the enemy is dumb enough to run into the CAP, and B: that your team mates stay under the CAP.  This whole CV rework just stinks of the CVs being hammered into a console-friendly format.

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
980
[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,955 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Hmm... where to begin here?

There's another whole line of 'em coming folks, so best move on to preparing your Sub rants when they move into random battles. Have we heard anything from the live server test yet, officially? I'm personally looking forward to the German carrier line. 

It will probably disappoint as did the last two British/English carriers did, at least for me. 

You know - there's an aspect of CV play rarely talked about... it is sometimes reminiscent of WWI fighter pilots. Opposing carrier planes approach each other at the start of the match, like two gunslingers. They rotate away from each other but still continue towards their original goal. No fighters are dropped. Perhaps a salute passes between them, I dunno. (They're too small to tell). 

I suspect this happens because the carriers are, bottom line, both on the receiving end of so much anger and hate. So it's a "I'll deal with you after I deal with your team mates" moment.  You won't see the option to not engage occur with any other ship type, would you? 

Just observations. Like today, someone was telling me how to play a carrier. I asked and found out - presuming they would be honest - they had never played a carrier. Looks easy until you have to do it. 

The older RTS had a limit for me - the strafing mechanism. I simply could not manipulate my fingers fast enough. So I stayed at or below Tier 6 back then. 

Most of you may not remember the old RTS style carrier play... but lordy how I miss cross-drops. I can almost get them done in my Kaga these days, but it simply is nothing close to the old school way. Good times. 

Carriers were far more deadly back then. 

 

Just a FYI, ya don't drop fighters at the start to catch your enemy planes because 9/10 u can get away or just call them back if your dead center of it with bombers or torp planes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,287
[GWG]
Members
7,585 posts
14,447 battles
2 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

So doggone relaxing. Just zoom around, dropping stuff on people, enjoy the scenery, sail around. It's like vaium.

Seeing how you started at tier 4...   Yeah.  That's kind of fun.

I div'd up with a clan-mate when he got his Hermies...  I was in the German T4 DD with the Schnellbot torps (most awesome DD in WOWS).

We got the Solomons map...   Man, I haven't played that in...  forever..   I was pushing the middle while he was propping up the right flank with some disciplined torp drops.  He didn't lose any planes.  I scored a Kraken on that one after I pushed through and nailed the enemy CV..

About that time, our 'clan boss' broke in and told us to report for Clan Battle Training....  yeah, that soured the good mood.  We could have done this all night.

(It's not the GWG clan)

Sometimes those T4 CV battles can be a blast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
382
[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,658 battles
1 hour ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Have we heard anything from the live server test yet, officially? I'm personally looking forward to the German carrier line.

Currently the German CV line seems to be a bit overtuned. Single AP Rocket pass is shaving off like 75% of a cruisers health not to mention the FDR planes (it also has AP rockets) have a ridiculous amount of HP to make up for the fact their 'slow' for tier X planes but in reality it means they can just shrug off all but the most dedicated of AA blobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,652
[WPORT]
Members
9,821 posts
14,329 battles

DD's and CV's can work together and I have a replay to offer as evidence

 

  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,625
[-DF-]
Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,797 battles
1 hour ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Love playing CV's. You can impact the battle much more so than most other ships. 

Absolutely.  Who wants to be stuck on the surface puttering around at 10+ knots when you can zoom all over the battlefield at hundreds of knots and show the enemy your wrath!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,220
[SIM]
Members
5,848 posts
9,315 battles

Literally the most stressful class in the game to play, imo. 

  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
3 hours ago, Yandere_Roon said:

until you get uptiered then it gets a might stressful, not a lot but a tad. Though if someone can explain to me why the Sexy Lexi gets better torps than the Midway *shrugs*, seems kinda weird..hit harder, sure there's less of them but IIRC the aiming pattern is tighter and faster so...yeah...

same problem to Implacable and Furious bombs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
382
[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,658 battles
Just now, Felipe_1982 said:

same problem to Implacable and Furious bombs.

Yeah I looked at that and it makes NO god damn sense at all why the Furious bombs are better than the Implacable...I think the numbers might need to be switched on that front but god forbid they be seen buffing a CV (even if the RN CV line is considered hot garbage by just about everyone).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[-ARM-]
Beta Testers
1,018 posts
12,227 battles
9 minutes ago, Ramagar_RoK said:

Stress, no.  Play a DD sometime.  Even when up-tiered the spotting you can do is invaluable.

 

Stress? Try sneaking up to a high tier BB in an IJN torpedo destroyer with the reload booster instead of smoke. Now that's stressful.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×