Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

This week's stupid question - Kirov Moskva

5 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,766 posts

Okay, okay so I probably have a couple months' worth of such questions in my backlog... but here goes: 

Why is Kirov a premium and Moskva only a "special" ship? 

TIA ! 

[IJN]
Members
116 posts
1,464 battles

T10 Ships not found in the tech tree are classified as "special" ships instead of premiums. Since Moskva and Kirov both both moved out of the tech tree, Moskva is special and Kirov premium. Technically, the difference is that you can't buy T10 ships while you can buy T2-9 ships on the store and thus making them premiums that can't be nerfed unless through a global change. T10 specials on the other hand, Thunderer, Moskva, Stalingrad and others can "technically" be changed.

Members
4,083 posts
10,165 battles

The other difference beyond what LaviKabos said is the economic differences. True premiums (so every non tech tree ship t2-t9) has a credit modifier baked into the hull so they earn more credits for the same actions compared to the tech tree ships of the same tier (in addition to a not big but not meaningless reduction in service costs). With the exception of Missouri, each tier has a set credit modifier that all premiums of that tier use.

Actual special ships don’t get any credit modifiers, but they do get a 50% service cost reduction baked into the hull (so they cost half as much as a tech tree t10 before accounting for any camos).

In other words, premiums earn more money than the tech tree equivalent because of the credit bonuses, specials earn the same as tech tree t10s take more back to port as a profit because of the reduced costs. Both types have the same ‘assign without retraining or penalty’ rules when it comes to commanders. 

Test and early access ships also use the special ship icon, but early access ships (and as far as I know test ships are the same) don’t have any reduction to service cost, beyond the reduction from the permacamo if it comes with one during the event. They have the ‘no retraining’ commander rules while in early access like premiums and true specials do, but beyond that they’re effectively tech tree ships for the early access ones. Based on test videos I’ve seen from CCs, they sometimes have missions that give more credits for the test ships while in testing but otherwise they seem to have the same economy of the relavent tier tech tree or premium depending on what the ship is going to be.  

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,766 posts

Well thanks very much. I never dug that deep into the whys of this game.

I will say I took the Kirov out today having not played it for I don't know how long. Her guns are laser-like as far as accuracy, at least that's what I experienced. 

My original question had to do with not seeing the Moskva when I filtered things for premiums, which of course made me go "hmm". 

When next I take out the Moskva, I'll check her costs, see if I can make coin with her. 

Thanks again! 

[NSC]
Members
2,326 posts
1 hour ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

The other difference beyond what LaviKabos said is the economic differences. True premiums (so every non tech tree ship t2-t9) has a credit modifier baked into the hull so they earn more credits for the same actions compared to the tech tree ships of the same tier (in addition to a not big but not meaningless reduction in service costs). With the exception of Missouri, each tier has a set credit modifier that all premiums of that tier use.

Actual special ships don’t get any credit modifiers, but they do get a 50% service cost reduction baked into the hull (so they cost half as much as a tech tree t10 before accounting for any camos).

In other words, premiums earn more money than the tech tree equivalent because of the credit bonuses, specials earn the same as tech tree t10s take more back to port as a profit because of the reduced costs. Both types have the same ‘assign without retraining or penalty’ rules when it comes to commanders. 

Test and early access ships also use the special ship icon, but early access ships (and as far as I know test ships are the same) don’t have any reduction to service cost, beyond the reduction from the permacamo if it comes with one during the event. They have the ‘no retraining’ commander rules while in early access like premiums and true specials do, but beyond that they’re effectively tech tree ships for the early access ones. Based on test videos I’ve seen from CCs, they sometimes have missions that give more credits for the test ships while in testing but otherwise they seem to have the same economy of the relavent tier tech tree or premium depending on what the ship is going to be.  

This is WG's official description: Premiums have improved economy and Special ships don't. Thanks for typing it up!

Sign in to follow this