Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WM1957

Champagne, is it worth it?

29 comments in this topic

[PHD]
Members
300 posts
9,969 battles

Is the new Champagne worth it? I mean the ship of course. Only 6 406mm guns, but it looks like it have lots of secondary guns of a decent range to brawl.

Alpha Tester
1,452 posts
829 battles

it's a tier 8 slava. You sit at range. Going in to brawl will get you killed faster than an omaha does in a tier 7 game.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,350 battles
14 minutes ago, KosmicRavioli said:

Is there a single ship worth the money spent, in this game?

Let's be real now.

I said to my wife last night that out of the Champagne and a bottle of actual Champagne, the actual champagne is probably the better value while it lasts; however, the pixel Champagne will last longer.

I have as many hundred thousand XP out of the Warspite as I paid Canadian dollars for her. At various times in this game, I have won her doubloon value in duplication AND her credit value in duplication. I consider that money well spent. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,961 battles

First, I do not own a Champagne but have fought a few since it's release. I got blapped in my Abruzzi from a range where I didn't even see the Champage in one match, and beat the hell out of another in a brawl with my Roma. Roma is not known for brawling but clearly neither is the Champagne. His secondaries were indeed peppering my ship but they all seemed to bounce harmlessly off my apparently impenetrable Italian armor. I've seen them here and there and have been watching the ones that succeed and the ones that don't. 

If you want a ship like the Thunderer that stays at range and snipes, then it could be a ship for you. If you want a brawler or closer in support ship then the 'Camp'agne , see what I did there, is definitely not your new purchase.

Choose Wisely Memes - Imgflip

[COSTA]
[COSTA]
Members
235 posts
8,853 battles

I bought one and think it’s a fun ship.

Brawling is a definite no.  It’s melts fast if you are in secondary range.

Pros: you can support most of the map from a central position and snipe CVs.

Cons: I’m over-penning everything.  Roma is my most played ship so you would think I’d be used to it.  Need to learn the guns more to adjust my aim.

Bonus: brings out the salt in your teammates.  Multiple games I’ve been called out to charge in, usually by a Bismarck/Tirpitz or Vlad.

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,672 posts
9,027 battles

If you like sniping, yes. 

She's a nice ship if you like trolling. Lol

In one ranked game, I took 25% health off the CV in the first 45 secs of the game or so. Lol

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,841 posts
25,970 battles

Don't let the long secondaries range fool you.

Another thing about the secondaries is that 100mm guns make up the bulk.  They only have 17mm HE Pen, you can't even pen High Tier DD hulls nor High Tier Battleship Superstructure:  They are all 19mm.

It has Tier VI BB Hit Point levels.

It's extremities aren't even 32mm, which is the standard of all other Tier VIII+ Battleships.

The Belt Armor is very thin for a Tier VIII BB.

4SEgUmU.jpg

Roma has a reputation for having a very easy to punish Citadel, her Armor Belt is 375mm.  Champagne has only 240mm!

Vanguard is also very squishy, she has a 356mm Armor Belt.

In addition, the 25mm extremities mean High Tier CLs like Cleveland with NO IFHE will HE Pen you.

A mid tier CL like VII Helena with IFHE for her 152mm guns gets 31mm HE Pen, and can farm Champagne's 25mm extremities.

If you push up then you get in range with a bunch of CLs that will now be able to hit you, and farm you for damage, whereas if you stayed back, many like Cleveland won't even have the range to hit you, or if you are at the edge of their range, their shells float too much to reliably hit you and pick out your thin armor to exploit.

You push up in that thing you're going to get rekt.

WG gave her accurate guns and stupidly good shell flight characteristics and AP penetration for good reasons.

sQpUVIn.jpg

She's intended to stay back and keep firing.  Another indicator for this?  She has a very fast 34kt speed *and* she has Engine Boost.  On top of that she's respectably stealthy (for a BB), 12.87km surface detection in Stealth Build.  The gunnery, speed, concealment are expressly bred to force this ship to fight at range, "or else."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Thanks 1

[PVE]
Members
13,884 posts
29,287 battles

It is NOT a brawler. The armor is very weak plus it has low HP. However the guns are great. Accurate and hit hard. If you can hit reliably from range you should do well.

Lots of secondary guns. Typical French BB in that regard. The 100MM ones don't do much damage but there are a lot, they fire fast, and set a lot of fires. The 152MM do damage and set fires but fire slower. 

Its fast and nimble with average concealment for a BB. AA is ok but not great.

I find it fun but I only play Co-op. It might be better in PVP actually played at range vs Co-op where most games are brawls up close which exposes its weak armor. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[NOCAP]
Alpha Tester
185 posts
7,916 battles

No, no it's not good.  It's a secondary build ship that fails at brawling.  

[PHD]
Members
1,929 posts
7,425 battles

I may have to get the ship just for the hell of it.

As others have said it's more a battle cruiser or super cruiser than a battleship. 

I am starting to think of it as a Smolensk with extremely slow loading guns that citadel rather than burn, but with range instead of smoke.

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,653 posts
21,514 battles

It has long range and accuracy but pathetic shell damage. Have to say it's not a good idea to buy.

[BNKR]
Members
1,653 posts
2,818 battles
23 minutes ago, Ihitu said:

No, no it's not good.  It's a secondary build ship that fails at brawling.  

It’s a not a secondary build ship at all. A cursory glance at the guns and armor profile should tell you what her role is. 

Members
871 posts
5,962 battles

If you think this is a secondary ship you’re not paying attention. More than range matters. The pen on them is horrible and the ship lacks the armor to weird them even against cruisers. They’re basically there if a DD tries to ambush you while you camp back. It’s a weird ship I don’t think many will be able to use well which makes me want to try it haha. It’s more akin to an early version super cruiser. 

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

Hell, a simply glance at the penetration of the secondary guns themselves should tell you everything you need to know in that regard. Most of them can't even penetrate same tier DDs without IFHE.

[USN]
Members
1,626 posts
21,086 battles
2 hours ago, WM1957 said:

Is the new Champagne worth it? I mean the ship of course. Only 6 406mm guns, but it looks like it have lots of secondary guns of a decent range to brawl.

It’s more or less a T8 Slava, which is not very good for balance or game design.

Oh and it has a 240mm armor belt, 25mm bow and stern, and your secondaries either reload far too slowly or have not enough pen to be actually useful. Getting within 7km of anything in this ship is asking for trouble. At that range, I wouldn’t be surprised if T8 heavy hitting cruisers like Tallinn, Balti, or Cheshire can citadel her, let alone higher tier chunkers like Riga, Petro, all supercruisers, Henri, Moskva, Zao and Nevsky.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
3 hours ago, WM1957 said:

The secondaries are an attractive nuisance.  They look fun, but they'll just get you killed.

1)  Most of the shots have 17mm HE pen, meaning there's A LOT they won't penetrate... and they'll tempt some to waste 4 points on IFHE. 

2)  At secondary range, the thin armor and low HP of Champagne will get it sunk fast, especially if it's facing a real brawler.

3)  At medium or short range, it loses the advantage of accuracy, and the higher barrel count of other BBs will murder it.

[MISRY]
Members
934 posts
6,821 battles
21 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

Hell, a simply glance at the penetration of the secondary guns themselves should tell you everything you need to know in that regard. Most of them can't even penetrate same tier DDs without IFHE.

Secondary gun penetration is the the most overrated stat when it comes to secondary ships. Secondary builds themselves are sooooo far out of meta now. BB secondaries are more valuable these days as fire starters. If you are a BB and you are close enough to a DD where the secondaries really matter, you are probably toast anyways. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
11 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Secondary gun penetration is the the most overrated stat when it comes to secondary ships. Secondary builds themselves are sooooo far out of meta now. BB secondaries are more valuable these days as fire starters. If you are a BB and you are close enough to a DD where the secondaries really matter, you are probably toast anyways. 

Penetration under 19mm becomes seriously less useful, however, all else being equal.

There's a lot of DD hull and BB superstructure a tier VIII ship can see that's 19mm, and the 100mm secondaries on Champagne can't penetrate that armor.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[CDOH]
Members
899 posts
8,510 battles
19 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I disagree if your near max range of your secondaries.  10 to 11.3 km away you have time to deal with torps.  Also good BB players will know if they are being stalked by a DD and can take appropriate action to avoid being torped. Massa and Georgia are fantastic secondary ships.  The Secondarys usually give me around 30k to 100k additional damage per game.  30k on a bad game and 100k on great game.

Edited by Rothgar_57

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,350 battles

I slapped one around today in my Amagi. It ran like a scared puppy with a sabre-toothed tiger after it. That fixed my opinion firmly that it was not a ship I would want to buy.

If the chips are down and you have to pull on the man pants, you haven't got the toughest ship in existence. Sure, the Amagi isn't short-range invincible either, but I'm not afraid to take the Amagi brawling when nothing else will do. I wouldn't brawl in this thing unless it was in co-op and my targets were all almost-dead.

Banned
1,684 posts
11 hours ago, WM1957 said:

My cash is far too valuable to waste on another pixel boat from WG.

[COSTA]
[COSTA]
Members
235 posts
8,853 battles

I bought Champagne this weekend and had the “opportunity” to brawl.  Last ship alive vs 4 reds.  A fail division T5 Pyotr Velikiy was the closest ship so I charged him.  Stock secondaries fired 500+ shells for ~140 hits and 4,000 damage.  Only redeeming thing was it did set 7 fires.

Edited by DM31

Sign in to follow this