Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aristotle83

Retreat mechanic

23 comments in this topic

[PRMUS]
Members
943 posts
2,312 battles

Right now in WOWS(barring point wins)most battles are fights to the death. This a)prolongs games where the outcome is clear, b)is unrealistic, when victory isn't possible the last few ships don't make a last stand they retreat to fight another day.

Was thinking what if you got to the end of the map you were given the option of leaving? Don't some operations already work this way, get to the line and you've escaped the area? This would cut down on the long ends of games when the outcome is clear but the winning team is hunting down the survivors. 

• Cool 1
  • Confused 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,502 posts
10,525 battles

There are "exits" that appear during Scenario Operations, when enough conditions are met.  

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

I'd rather matches last longer on average, honestly. 5-10 minute matches are typically horrible for both sides as there's no chance to really get the ball rolling.

[WORX]
Members
10,682 posts
18,567 battles

We already have short battles... All thanks to the imagination of the DEVs, in regarding their applying/application of "power" to imaginary ships.

We dont need to expand on their/this failed concept.

Edited by Navalpride33

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles
19 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Was thinking what if you got to the end of the map you were given the option of leaving?

Br00TCn.jpg

No, really .... Why? What would this add, that's worth having people driving off the map whenever MM doesn't go exactly their way? How would this improve the game?

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 4

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
17 minutes ago, Lert said:

Br00TCn.jpg

No, really .... Why? What would this add, that's worth having people driving off the map whenever MM doesn't go exactly their way? How would this improve the game?

It's a really terrible idea.  Players are very skittish.

[PRMUS]
Members
943 posts
2,312 battles
21 minutes ago, Lert said:

Br00TCn.jpg

Explained my reasons in the post above. Cutting down long games where the outcome is clear and historical accuracy. Whether or not to retreat or stay and fight was an important element of naval combat. People driving off the map when MM didn't go their way was what happened at Jutland for example. Maps are also large someone in trouble wouldn't be able to escape so easily. 

But your concerns on this are valid. It would depend on the game obviously and the circumstances. 

Edited by Aristotle83
  • Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles
Just now, Aristotle83 said:

historical accuracy

... is a very poor argument in an arcade game with magic instant stop-flooding-now buttons, radars that only last 20 seconds, magic reloading torpedoes, an the very concept of hit points.

2 minutes ago, Aristotle83 said:

Whether or not to retreat or stay and fight was an important element of naval combat. People driving off the map when MM didn't go their way was what happened at Jutland for example.

Yes, because once you die in real life you die for real. Unlike a game where your ship is magically fixed 100% and your captain survives to fight on with a single click of the battle button. Why would you want to flee, instead of fighting and earning some more XP and credits?

Again, I see absolutely no single reason to implement a 'flee the battle' option. But that's just my personal opinion, take it as you wish.

• Cool 2

[ICBM]
Members
825 posts
9,371 battles

We have a hard enough time getting all 12 people to even show up for the battle. The last thing we need is a way for them to leave once they finally load in. 

• Cool 2

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,582 posts

Id rather the opposite.

collapsing ring of fire that forces some BBs to stop sniping at 20+km

• Haha 1

[-A-8-]
Members
455 posts
19,315 battles

Bad idea. You'll end up with the situation that WoT has where someone looks at XVM (or in ships case MMM) announces the team isn't worthy and drives off the nearest cliff.

It can be frustrating knowing you're fighting a lost cause but giving a way for people to quit if they don't think it's going their way isn't the answer.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
868 posts
2,737 battles
3 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

I'd rather matches last longer on average, honestly. 5-10 minute matches are typically horrible for both sides as there's no chance to really get the ball rolling.

Damn right but I reckon you'll get the special gamer types that want more action, because you know, ADD and all that.

[BBICT]
Members
3,878 posts
4,243 battles

He doesn't know about the "exit" already in the game...how does it work? 

1. Type "banzai!" in general chat. 

2. Charge camping reds with guns blazing

3. If make it to close range, ram one up their .....aft..

4. Type "GG."

5. Next! 

• Funny 2

[FFG33]
[FFG33]
Members
337 posts
13,584 battles

Down tiered by 2 tiers?

2x CVs?

Definitely driving off map and exiting. I think this would be a nice way to protest lousy MM.

• Meh 2

[SALVO]
Members
4,461 posts
3,825 battles
5 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

Right now in WOWS(barring point wins)most battles are fights to the death. This a)prolongs games where the outcome is clear, b)is unrealistic, when victory isn't possible the last few ships don't make a last stand they retreat to fight another day.

Was thinking what if you got to the end of the map you were given the option of leaving? Don't some operations already work this way, get to the line and you've escaped the area? This would cut down on the long ends of games when the outcome is clear but the winning team is hunting down the survivors. 

what is the difference with pressing ESC and leaving battle? No need for extra coding, option is there for you if you want early exit.

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
608 posts
8,354 battles
5 hours ago, Lert said:

... is a very poor argument in an arcade game with magic instant stop-flooding-now buttons, radars that only last 20 seconds, magic reloading torpedoes, an the very concept of hit points.

Yes, because once you die in real life you die for real. Unlike a game where your ship is magically fixed 100% and your captain survives to fight on with a single click of the battle button. Why would you want to flee, instead of fighting and earning some more XP and credits?

Again, I see absolutely no single reason to implement a 'flee the battle' option. But that's just my personal opinion, take it as you wish.

I agree with this.   You may be fighting a losing battle but are only 1 push of the button away from hitting an enemy with a dev strike and taking them with you, which makes for a nice consolation prize.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,160 posts
19,031 battles
2 minutes ago, Altwar said:

I agree with this.   You may be fighting a losing battle but are only 1 push of the button away from hitting an enemy with a dev strike and taking them with you, which makes for a nice consolation prize.

At the very worst you can W forward and do some spotting, rack up some spotting damage and draw some fire that then won't go into your teammates who actually want to, like, play the game without getting MM handed to them on a silver platter.

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
394 posts
11,064 battles

NO. Absoulety NO. It's already bad enough we have people running from a fight now. You want them to leave the battle?

Only way I'd be game for having a exit if the following:

1. Player leaving the fight has to pay the SERVICE COST OF ALL HIS TEAM MATES SHIPS + 5 Million Credit Penalty

2. Player leaving the fight automatically gets +50 losses on that ship so that their W/L ratio will suffer.

IN otherwords, you fight or your account gets docked.

• Thanks 1

[ICBM]
Members
825 posts
9,371 battles
6 hours ago, Dareios said:

Id rather the opposite.

collapsing ring of fire that forces some BBs to stop sniping at 20+km

Lol, but the fire is even worse close in. lol.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles
7 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

Personally, I think matches are too short.  I'd go for at least 30 minute matches on larger maps, with fewer islands, but that's already too hardcore (if you can even call it that) for what this game is shooting for.

Second, in this game, having an option to "retreat" from the match is just inviting people to do it when it isn't necessary, just to annoy others.  There is already a problem of AFK'ers and people bailing from the match now.

Third, the point where you go to end an operation is an objective, not an option.  It's a single, specific localized area, not anywhere along the map border.  And the missions are structured in such a way that you have to jump through a bunch of hoops in sequence to get there.  That won't work in randoms.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles
3 hours ago, Kuckoo said:

Personally, I think matches are too short.  I'd go for at least 30 minute matches on larger maps, with fewer islands, but that's already too hardcore (if you can even call it that) for what this game is shooting for.

Second, in this game, having an option to "retreat" from the match is just inviting people to do it when it isn't necessary, just to annoy others.  There is already a problem of AFK'ers and people bailing from the match now.

Third, the point where you go to end an operation is an objective, not an option.  It's a single, specific localized area, not anywhere along the map border.  And the missions are structured in such a way that you have to jump through a bunch of hoops in sequence to get there.  That won't work in randoms.

So many times have I wished a battle had 5 or 10 minutes longer to be decided...

Sign in to follow this