HugeBenis

Ping spikes--stuttering in game

24 comments in this topic

[ZHDDG]
Members
1 post
904 battles

I have recently (past two weeks or so) been experiencing occasional ping spikes that give me a stuttering experience in game.

Doesn't matter what ship, or what map, occasionally my ping spikes from a steady 35 to <150. I have no idea why. I play on a wired connection, and the ethernet cable is relatively new. I have a high end modem, and a gigabit connection, and I am the only user--so bandwith is not an issue. My ISP is a very reliable provider, and I do not experience lag spikes in any other game other than WoWs. I am positive it is not a hardware deficiency; I *do not* experience any stuttering or lag spikes in any other games. A 7700k and 1080Ti shreds frames in this game like a knife through hot butter--it is not struggling with the graphics, only the connection.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and is there a way for me to fix it? Other than switching providers, or moving, I suppose. A friend of mine 2 hours to the east does not have any ping-related lag spikes.

[WORX]
Members
9,823 posts
17,782 battles
30 minutes ago, HugeBenis said:

I have recently (past two weeks or so) been experiencing occasional ping spikes that give me a stuttering experience in game.

Doesn't matter what ship, or what map, occasionally my ping spikes from a steady 35 to <150. I have no idea why. I play on a wired connection, and the ethernet cable is relatively new. I have a high end modem, and a gigabit connection, and I am the only user--so bandwith is not an issue. My ISP is a very reliable provider, and I do not experience lag spikes in any other game other than WoWs. I am positive it is not a hardware deficiency; I *do not* experience any stuttering or lag spikes in any other games. A 7700k and 1080Ti shreds frames in this game like a knife through hot butter--it is not struggling with the graphics, only the connection.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and is there a way for me to fix it? Other than switching providers, or moving, I suppose. A friend of mine 2 hours to the east does not have any ping-related lag spikes.

I posted a replay for you in game...

[77ARC]
Beta Testers
220 posts

Your connection route to WoWs is different than your friends.  Yours may contain a node that is tends to get overloaded or a route is switched causing the blips.  You could both run Pingplotter and compare the differences in the routes.

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,577 posts
33,829 battles

It is usually you connection or ISP that is overloaded. That is a bandwidth issue, not WGs.

I rarely have them but when I do is at my local prime-time when the system gets busy.

There is a lot to blame WG for (T10 DD life is miserable, power creep, unfixed bugs that they don't care about), but this is one issue they are not responsible for.

• Cool 1

[DOINK]
Members
15 posts
11,717 battles

I've experienced this a few times in the last week or so. Rather annoying when you're doing battle. Can't really blame it on the peak traffic theory as I do most of my stuff late night/early morning.

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,075 posts

II KKNNOOWW WWHHAATT YYOOUU MMEEAANN!

Got really bad for me but its improved since the last update.

[HAIFU]
[HAIFU]
Members
232 posts
6,903 battles

This has happened to me as well. In the last couple weeks. My hardware isn't as good as OP's but its good enough. Normally my ping is around 34ms but lately its gone into the low hundreds and will randomly spike back and forth between the two.

[WG]
Developers
244 posts
8,908 battles

In any unusual connection/lag related situation submit a ticket.

[WG]
Developers
244 posts
8,908 battles
16 hours ago, arch4random said:

im getting stuttering  also

Have you tried to submit CS ticket?

• Haha 1

[F-J]
Beta Testers
4 posts
13,236 battles

Same issue here as well, stuttering when enemy ships show up. Basically unplayable at this point even though my FPS is steady at 60+, and my Ping rate are also steady in the mid 30's. Not stuttering with any allied ships just the reds and not always all of them, very random. Stuttering goes away (sometimes) after a few seconds of locking onto them. Other issues are switching between targets, sometime I can not even lock on to someone. Or like hitting the repair button or others. Just won't activate them right away. Before the update NO problems and haven't had any issues like this for years. So whats the deal? Obvious connection issues with the server. Already restarted my router and internet connection and game integrity check. Nothing else to do but file a worthless ticket and deal with that aggravation.

[OVRPN]
[OVRPN]
Beta Testers
108 posts
17,031 battles

Got it starting with the 0.9.5 update then one day it was just gone. Have heard/seen others experiencing it still. Not the first time a patch has introduced problems like this or the random crashes some are experiencing.

[F-J]
Beta Testers
4 posts
13,236 battles

I do recall having this problem before, a long time ago. Did the whole ticket and ping plotter thing. It is a server connection/lag issue with WG. Normally it would just go away after some time (a week or so). IDK why WG can't get their crap together.

Members
1 post

My hardware isn't as good as OP's but its good enough. Normally my ping is around 34ms but lately its gone into the low hundreds and will randomly spike back and forth between the two. I do recall having this problem before, a long time ago omegle

Edited by Assental

[ROG]
Members
11 posts
3,806 battles

Add me to the list. I have a very beefy system with 32gb of ram and an Nvidia 2080 Super. Until the last patch everything was fine. Now I get constant hitching during games that make it hard to even play. I've checked my files, my net connection (I'm on fiber) and removed all my mods. Even changed the graphics settings but nothing works. My ping is a constant 32-33. My video card has so much GRAM that it could hold the entire game. Clearly something was changed recently as I see others are having the same issue. These half second pauses seem to get worse in the heat of battle. They are less when the game starts. If I had to guess it seems like the game is swapping textures in and out of memory. The problem is I have a ton of GRAM and there is no need to swap. Perhaps the game is incorrectly measuring how much Gram/Ram we have or assuming a lower number. Oh well just fix it so I can play again. :)

[ROG]
Members
11 posts
3,806 battles

Still getting this issue. I've tried everything. Is anyone else getting in game micro-pauses or stuttering? I have a high end system and I'm on Fiber and the FPS is stable yet the game is getting near unplayable. Thanks

[DGODS]
Members
3 posts
3,877 battles

For the past two days the game is practically unplayable - ping jumping from 150 to 1200 ms within seconds causing stuttering. I am in Asia using NA server. There is no problem with my internet. When I ping Google I get 100% successful round trip ping delivery and when I ping the NA server IP I get 60% at best. At night here everything goes back to normal - I get decent ping and no stuttering but during the day I have been averaging 300-400 ms (for the past two days straight).

[WULUF]
[WULUF]
Members
1,075 posts

More info about when it happened to me...

More often than not, it was after the WoWs screen killer had been active... before that, I never knew the game had it, it switches the screen off... pointless for modern monitors but there you go, normally, I leave the ship in port and turn the monitor off... but these times, I left it on and the screen saver activated... when coming out of it was when the stutter would start, going into a game, it would get worse...

[Y0L0W]
Members
5 posts
5,142 battles

Same happening to me, it seems easy for WOWSs to say it's not them, but my local ISP is killer fast (2-4 ping from Houston to Dallas). as solid 25-30 until patch, now all over (30-300) - keeps cycling 20-300 up  and down. Fix this crap WOWS

Members
498 posts
4,685 battles
On 7/31/2020 at 4:57 PM, CV6TheBigE said:

This seems to have helped. Keeping my fingers crossed LOL.

I have having a freeze issue - this helped me too. TY