Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Awe5ome

My review of the Agir class battlecruiser

12 comments in this topic

[-OG-]
Members
283 posts
7,698 battles

I wanted to get this review out sooner, however, real-life stuff kept me from releasing this on time. In that time LWM published her review of the Siegfried and Agir here if you want another opinion then feel free to check out her review. Finally, I just want to shout out @LittleWhiteMouse for giving me the inspiration to start writing my own reviews of ships released, thank you! Anyways if you value my opinion then feel free to read my review and tell me how wrong I am. Without further ado:

My Agir Review

dhv2aPRuQcukRRUOKtWSWv-vrdcyI6xiV2UcQ56fACYA-600SIO4mBR17dAKVyeIqRqJfdz03Lfvivccnkq9vK1PcqHI6vJAgFxqEWd_vHpWj9H-TYN3ICMAW1NISGfXGQZxHBUo

(The following review is entirely my opinion, please gather more information from other sources before purchasing this ship.)

Agir is a T9 German battlecruiser/supercruiser with 9x305mm guns in three turrets. They have decent range, accuracy and penetration while having less armour than you’d typically expect for a German capital ship. Agir has decent HP, guns, AA, Torpedoes and maneuverability. Unfortunately, this comes at a price, Agir sits quite high above the water, with weaker armour and a surprisingly punishable citadel can result in massive damage being taken. 

TLDR:

Agir is decent, she’s a very bland battlecruiser with nothing too special or unique about her. The guns are decent with great AP alpha but weak HE damage, she’s pretty tanky in a one on one situation with proper angling but broadsiding any battleship will see a sizable portion of your HP being removed. The ship is better than Azuma, but Alaska and Stalingrad are far better contenders for competitive play.

Survivability

HP: 62 850

Torpedo Reduction: 37%

f0bkQx-72zvQfK0UpvM7sufADYekESvnbGxNUjBLbI2VkLAYxfTy1RqicYhBbxBgmT1keJyDom8mfNr_Jd-W5cpsaUYF6-YywsuS2KJwIPiM81pJ6PG0dwzFViTSJ0U9CRSFNo12

cqRrl-U4wWPtENdZ0lOBW8AR5dxbOJ36v7B2LjsnZDl3X8HJbox0zuOvjWVLfIlTKzDo3vaODdbWExDufrhkIf2aZYkt0D02kF5l2wlw5MJCqIjaW6mFfmou4ZAR9S94qmlzDKxx

6sm-vXWtjPXj5hKd2OJBu5FapoK-a4baopDWYAiswTLzls7l2KtFCgAQQbT5hOlYSIcMTkh-Q68YQKDwYGmTchLwjnPxXb8COaRxab7HAQPlbZ4shpuJyVxFfLE6p1rMuelkRpsY

The German line is known for its tanky ships. Großer Kurfürst having some of the best armour and highest HP in the entire game. German cruisers get 5 heals instead of 4 like other navies, this is to encourage more aggressive play and to push the enemy. Likewise, you’d expect their battlecruisers to be somewhere in between, heavier armour than a cruiser but weaker than their contemporary battleships. Germans are also known for their turtleback armour scheme, making them almost immune to citadels except in occasional situations. 

Agir has a few unique traits for starters unlike the battleship or cruiser line Agir gets only 4 heals instead of 5. This doesn’t seem like much but I’ve personally been really missing that extra heal charge. Agir takes a lot of HE damage from cruisers and I’ve found myself often at the end of games with low health and wanting that extra little boost. Agir’s armour is a mixed bag. With good angling and active maneuvering, the armour can hold up quite well. Against cruisers like Hindenburg, the 190mm armour belt combined with the 80mm turtleback does an adequate job of protecting the citadel. However, ships like Des Moines with heavy AP shells improved pen angles and fast reload are capable of dealing heavy damage really quickly. And against cruisers, battlecruisers or battleships with good penetration values the turtleback does very little to protect your ship. Agir has her citadel poking above the waterline, this means that unlike in German BB’s like Tirpitz, Bismarck, Großer Kurfürst who’s citadel is completely beneath the waterline giving broadside in Agir will result in citadels. 

In a 1-on-1 comparison, I consider Alaska to be a tankier cruiser than Agir. While Alaska’s armour is thinner on the midships plating Alaska has quite a few advantages over her adversary. For example, Alaska’s deck is 6mm thicker at 36 compared to 30mm. Her belt armour is 229mm to Agir’s 190mm. Alaska sits much lower in the water making her freeboard rather difficult to hit. Finally and most crucially Alaska’s citadel is entirely beneath the waterline, meaning citadeling Alaska is far more difficult than citadeling Agir.

Artillery

Main Armament: 3x3 305mm guns

Secondary Armament: 9x2 128mm guns

Main Battery Reload: 20s

Range: 18.5km

yK6C8qFBPhi88VC4jUNqT0iPKGVQiyhJQgku7KNHJBXwBjul1yqvlkMb-EKWegP9vHCXKPHkc1TxEJdC4aVoDqowX-X9xXRJjPl4HbsGBPIp2vWZpQU1zf0hC2jnLFZF8eMYnGkR

Agir’s guns have decent penetration, they have a subpar range and an average reload. They’re not notable in any way other than the good AP shell damage of 9,100, of course, this is compensated for by the lacklustre HE rounds which have a decent fire chance of 27% but low damage 3,600. The shells are also exceptionally fast travelling at 865m/s for both the AP and HE. They’re the second-fastest 305mm in the game with only Soviet bias shells beating them at a whopping 950m/s. The guns feel comfortable to use and aiming at longer ranges is pretty easy. Out to a range of 8km Agir has the best penetration of all T9 battlecruisers with the exception of Siegfried. However, beyond that Agir penetration at long range is the lowest among her counterparts, not by much in fact there’s only 4mm of difference between Alaska and Agir at 21km but it’s still there. This can be really frustrating because of her low HE damage I felt like I was forced to play the ship in the worst way possible. Giving a ship high AP damage and low AP pen at ranges feels like locking off the only good part of the ship. Because of this, I found myself firing a lot of HE in games where the damage was consistent thanks to the ¼ pen rule applied to Germans but lower than if I was firing AP.

In-game I found the most success when I loaded AP and fired at broadsides, focusing any ship that didn’t angle enough and ignoring bow-in ships. Playing like this allowed me to get decent damage against enemies and use the guns of Agir to their full potential. 

Could you do a meme secondary build? Sure I guess, but it’s not recommended while the secondaries are extraordinarily accurate their range and been butchered down to 8km which in a T7 game is usable, but, in a T10 game feel like digging yourself into a hole with a secondary build. Again if you wanted to do it I guess you could get away with it since Agir remains rather consistent with her shots even without aiming systems modification 1, my only problem was justifying the points in a secondary build. To me, it’s not worth it but if you want to do it for craps and giggles then go for it.

Now the biggest question for here is would I rather an Alaska than an Agir? Now the stats make me want to say yes, I’d rather have an Alaska than an Agir in terms of artillery but after playing both I actually think I like Agir more. They don’t get the super heavy AP or the amazing auto bounce angles of Alaska but even still I prefer Agir’s guns. Their high shell velocity means you can hit targets at long range with ease and when the AP sticks it bloody hurts. I have regularly chunked battleships and cruisers for 20k using these guns. So, in my opinion, I like the Agir’s guns more than Alaska’s, however, I recognize that not everyone agrees with my opinion.

Torpedoes

Range: 6km

Speed: 65kts

Max Damage: 13,700

Reload: 90s

I740b1z7WT2z8QWORpxt7JLhcr17CYpxVetGA0UTmYuQ13ZrWJAEkFp76N8R9j6JwXnVfd2NntUOpttIvM4_aLdiChHOos5Wuho1u8I3iFJZpV3rN6QUCbanL3CBgvU0rzTVcIF7

Honestly, there’s not much to say about Agir’s torpedoes. They’re your standard German cruiser torpedoes used for close-in brawling as a final means of finishing off opponents. Their position results in good torpedo angles, but because they’re amidship they suffer when getting shot at, often getting disabled and knocked out. They’re certainly usable and inflict heavy damage when they connect but like the Tirpitz often the torpedo tubes are removed from the ship in a hurry thanks to the amount of HE spam in the game. And if nothing else they give you a lead indicator for your main guns.

UEtQZzj9jLEhjk0vKodsTh24QO2DB3NpL7QmX92oYTEExhWnWPTiAGHPmH9LEPXnAVucnkvTNXNpQ9QMZH-xrVcDpv-YaU00tvc_rm_OxQKz3CzXg5sAqH37LT2HBdICv12Nu4kT

AA Defences

10x4 20mm cannons

9x2 55mm cannons

9x2 128mm dual-purpose guns

AA DPS: 369

Shell explosion: 1540

-zIHOxtWbRUkAqUA4eVha6GzOce-RVEV13roQGdoihjb-aEvXIDQsybC7RDRfxiQLIUoP1fXN00cHPDoIgmvD-PoWFYJcQ4zFy5heTOZIbv-mgqaNahxs8c7pXHuFZ5J2SEpRsRw

Agir is nothing special when it comes to AA in fact I find her to be rather weak. For the photo above I took Agir T9 and put her against a bot Ryujo at T6 despite being 3 tiers higher than Ryujo took out half my health. Now of course I wasn’t at the controls since I was trying to get a decent photo of her AA in action but it still stands that a T6 got through the AA of a T9. In fact, while her in-game AA rating is 87 which is seven points higher than her sister Siegfried at 80 I’d rather be in a Siegfried to fight enemy CVs than Agir. Siegfried gets access to both the DFAA consumable and fighter consumable while Agir gets neither of those. For some reason, WG decided that Agir wasn’t worthy of the two most useless consumables in the game. 

If I’m being honest I haven’t found the lack of Fighter/Spotter or DFAA particularly bad (I usually run with Hydro and Spotter anyway) but it’s the fact you don’t get the choice at all that is frustrating to me. 

Agir’s AA is meh, just like almost everything else on this ship. Is it terrible? No. Is it going to deplane a whole aircraft carrier? Also no. Like the vast majority of ships Agir’s AA falls into the “Doesn’t do crap if the carrier knows what they’re doing” category that the rest of the German cruiser and battleship line falls into. Where does she fall on the battlecruiser list? In the middle, she’s not an Alaska but at least she’s not Azuma. 

Maneuverability

Max speed: 33.5kts (base)

Turning radius: 880m

Ruddershift time: 11.2s (ruddershift mod 1)

5VlE5-t3AIijycfJIH_nK7xOCTpXPDhkM4febU7BQOcBTJZ-OM7oXJLAm0JAJ5_LpS4XJ4C1qRFlU0x2pIhmWdR7yPcqrLHaqOG3N5Nmk0dfDMkxo0_y1kmUsOA9EZVSBy-jNki1

Agir feels like all the other battlecruisers, she’s fast in a straight line, clumsy for a cruiser in a turn but agile for a battleship. What I found most interesting was how many people underestimated the top speed of Agir. A few times when I’ve reached maximum speed and got spotted on my way to a key area I would watch shell come flying in and land just aft of my stern. Of course, that only works once and the second time is sure to result in a massive paddling taking place if you don’t angle or dodge. I found the Agir to be nimble (enough) to mitigate incoming fire using the upper 90mm belt to ricochet shells by sailing into the enemy at an angle. 

Long-range felt most comfortable especially against big-armed BB’s like Thunderer, Kremlin, Georgia, Yamato and Shikishima. Giving ample time to mitigate incoming fire and then turn out to get all guns back on target. At close range, the ruddershift felt more clumsy where I would turn out to bring all guns on target before turning back in to angle the hull. Quite a few times I’ve been on that turning back in with my finger firmly on the A/D key and by that time the enemy has fired and my rudder is only then starting to turn the ship in. Is it acceptable? Yes, absolutely I’m still getting used to her ruddershift time and her maneuverability characteristics. Overall I feel once again Agir falls somewhere in the middle of battlecruisers with Alaska feeling closer to a battleship than a cruiser with her maneuverability and Azuma being a cruiser that’s been elongated. Agir fits nicely in there as a sort of middle buffer erring on the Alaska side of the spectrum in my opinion.

Concealment

Sea detection: 11.9km

Air detection: 8.7km

Smoke firing penalty: 11.7km

y_yxkoWlJlakt0-yg7Muqm7BYy4FQ61zhhHy2CSexl1QjqUpLqs-wygJP2GEtKeQgAoCugsVcfTTQ2nXlUbIlbQ0t_D1WABrptvWCiBteE3D9mjhmI1s5355OZDH0awZdI-jMxjP

(nothing to do with concealment just really like some of these photos)

Once again Agir sort of just sits in the middle of the pack, being slightly less detectable than Alaska and slightly more detectable than Azuma. Her concealment is acceptable allowing for positioning closer to the battle and being able to go undetected rather easily. She’s often spotted by aircraft but in this day and age, it’s to be expected. Nothing really noteworthy here other than yeah, she’s ok. 

Modules and Crew:

With my experience in Agir, I used a different combination of crews and modules here’s what I found to work best for me.

For modules:

lG6poqHTAHCfD1Uo-ynrtlN26EsuuAMIC-LdKmmhoR3mPf1llObb5P2KZR5Lkak1zJqs8VatyaoWrb3TzXugTubbfaVw3e-7bEGeSkr7tYyGrpTnu8KUO0c4RDWwnhzSog3Ibm_a

I ran with this set because I found it to work best with a longer range playstyle while not impeding on close-range brawling. It was a hard choice between range and reload but I stuck with range because of the 18.5km base range which with all the HE spam results in playing too aggressively early on in the match eating a ton of damage and dying before anything good could happen. The range mod boosts the range out to 21.5km which allows for a lot more comfortable play on maps with little to no cover. Concealment because nothing else is worth taking, ruddershift because it allows me to avoid more damage, aiming systems because there’s nothing better in that slot, damage control because fires hurt on this ship and main armaments to try and avoid losing torpedo tubes 2 minutes into the match. 

For my captain this is my #1 recommendation:

r56ZbU9FIWgu-DTtd2_3GD_M0eyyfIb8rf8n4xol5VVDZj1sKf5EW_FcMd9mAJafon8ygk5WY_iNRknnYCZpjSxz0I5kus_tYMeTvlpdaakcpDA1nX8q0SJTmu1ggTlqADn43uye

This is my GK build, it’s your standard tank build. I find it to work better on this Agir because of the 60s burn time and little armour values on the deck/side plating. If you wanted you could drop the jack of all trades skill for expert loader and preventative maintenance but I found the reduced reload time on consumables helpful. However, I know some people don’t like to run tank builds on battlecruisers because they think then they’re playing a BB without the armour so my second recommendation is:

ijJDdIGGiqstvy6hqmaf6hff1WFHFHhJVvH2zj-JSN3SEMKVquPncOuGQqFyAyVtoAp-znGiW9jpWggWI-f1YmpVoMCZKulaAqp-l88FBQnAYJ_0gJ9gpQasP3N21CNDxUyztoTU

Standard cruiser build, please note that only 15 out of the 19 points are used here. Again pretty self-explanatory speccing into the main guns and concealment. This build works ok but with all the HE spam in the game now I just feel it’s far too vulnerable to fire damage.

Final Thoughts:

The more I play Agir the more average bland this ship becomes, it’s very pretty and her sister Siegfried will eventually be mine! But Agir just sort of became this very bland kind of “meh” ship where there’s nothing to make it stick out from the rest. I mean high AP alpha and high penetration on HE shells is great but honestly, it just feels like a worse Alaska. If you already have Alaska and are wondering which ship you should spend 1m free XP on then the answer is not Agir or Azuma. If you’re like me though, hate DD’s and want a cruiser then which one do I recommend? Agir. Because while the ship is deeply mediocre with absolutely no unique features of its own it at least has armour and can make aggressive plays when your team is down and you need points. Azuma just can’t do that her 25mm of plating and massive citadel makes her a damage pinate that battleships love to hit. 

Agir is also a very pretty ship, so you know if you just want something that looks cool and you don’t care about performance than sure, Agir is fine. I just have a hard time recommending this to anyone who wants a ship that is competitive or very fun to play, because Agir’s not. Alaska will do Agir’s job better, more consistently for the same price. Basically I rank the T9 battlecruisers like this:

1. Alaska (great pick!)

2. Kronstadt (radar and good armour)

3. Agir (meh, not bad, not good)

4. Literally anything else

5. Azuma

TTifSs7ONBuNpvALjndzLuZrt0Ux9uWRfjcKVJ9J6pfgCEPPqWaOa9yhU7Tm0f9FisUIy4AVXqK0I68IGZTZ_7tCKvS2evGgbeWQOHTyf80qE9likZo65MWEnZ8WoqwOcM9Obqqk

What would make her a good bote?

If WG increased the range of the secondary battery back out to 11.5km at maximum and gave this ship some improved pen angles for her AP this ship would be a definite recommendation. Doing this would give players who want a good german secondary ship something they could play with without having to re-grind 3-5 lines to get Siegfried. And the improved AP pen angles would just make it more comfortable to use AP against targets.

Edited by Awe5ome
format error
  • Cool 9
  • Thanks 1

Members
707 posts
5,735 battles

I agree that overall Agir is a pretty mediocre ship, that doesn't offer much that is new or different.  The armor scheme looks good on paper, but in game it just doesn't hold up very well.  There are too many BBs in Agir's MM spread that can overmatch the plating and find the citadel; and even those that don't will likely rack up huge chunks of regular pen damage.  I do have to disagree with you on one point; you state the AP pen is great and the range mediocre and I find exactly the opposite - the range is sufficient but the AP penetration values are lacking in many situations.  The HE gets 1/4 pen, but the damage values are disappointing; despite a 27% fire chance Agir is not a consistent fire starter in my experience.  I'll use the crummy HE when the situation demands, but I would much rather use the mediocre AP.  Lesser of two evils kinda thing I guess, though at close range (inside 8km or so) the AP works very well.

I guess I am a little confused about Agir's intended role - Her armor scheme, AP pen and dispersion seem to steer you towards shorter ranged engagements, but at those closer ranges the armor scheme absolutely falls apart.  The maneuverability isn't good enough to brawl, or wiggle much at range to mitigate incoming damage.  If you really abuse your WASD hax AND anticipate your enemies, you can dodge a fair amount of damage but it only takes one lucky salvo to ruin your day.  And of course the secondaries got nerfed into uselessness, which also recommends against brawling.  I guess the best way to play Agir is a semi-sneaky flanker; try to use hard cover to get on a flank and aim for the squishy bits.  I dunno.

I really want to like Agir, but have had a devil of a time getting any consistency out of her. 

[SIM]
Members
4,928 posts
8,006 battles

Agir is not better than the Azuma, she's just different. Agir has durability that Azuma could only dream of, but where a well-angled enemy will almost completely shut down Agir, Azuma can simply switch to her excellent HE shells and continue racking up solid damage numbers. They're almost like two sides of a coin, with one having markedly better defense but the other having superior firepower.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
553 posts

It was easy to tell by the stats that Agir was Meh at best.   I went straight for Siegfried on day one; no regrets.  

My just ended previous battle:

SIEGFRIED number 3.jpg

• Boring 1

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
4 hours ago, SkaerKrow said:

Agir is not better than the Azuma, she's just different. Agir has durability that Azuma could only dream of, but where a well-angled enemy will almost completely shut down Agir, Azuma can simply switch to her excellent HE shells and continue racking up solid damage numbers. They're almost like two sides of a coin, with one having markedly better defense but the other having superior firepower.

i see the same, in fact i think there is a whole world about same category ships. each has a unique gameplay.

I like Agir, but i do like Alaska more, and Azuma i didnt use much until now, but surely there is a role for each.

10 hours ago, Awe5ome said:

I wanted to get this review out sooner, however, real-life stuff kept me from releasing this on time. In that time LWM published her review of the Siegfried and Agir here if you want another opinion then feel free to check out her review. Finally, I just want to shout out @LittleWhiteMouse for giving me the inspiration to start writing my own reviews of ships released, thank you! Anyways if you value my opinion then feel free to read my review and tell me how wrong I am. Without further ado:

My Agir Review

dhv2aPRuQcukRRUOKtWSWv-vrdcyI6xiV2UcQ56fACYA-600SIO4mBR17dAKVyeIqRqJfdz03Lfvivccnkq9vK1PcqHI6vJAgFxqEWd_vHpWj9H-TYN3ICMAW1NISGfXGQZxHBUo

(The following review is entirely my opinion, please gather more information from other sources before purchasing this ship.)

Agir is a T9 German battlecruiser/supercruiser with 9x305mm guns in three turrets. They have decent range, accuracy and penetration while having less armour than you’d typically expect for a German capital ship. Agir has decent HP, guns, AA, Torpedoes and maneuverability. Unfortunately, this comes at a price, Agir sits quite high above the water, with weaker armour and a surprisingly punishable citadel can result in massive damage being taken. 

TLDR:

Agir is decent, she’s a very bland battlecruiser with nothing too special or unique about her. The guns are decent with great AP alpha but weak HE damage, she’s pretty tanky in a one on one situation with proper angling but broadsiding any battleship will see a sizable portion of your HP being removed. The ship is better than Azuma, but Alaska and Stalingrad are far better contenders for competitive play.

Survivability

HP: 62 850

Torpedo Reduction: 37%

f0bkQx-72zvQfK0UpvM7sufADYekESvnbGxNUjBLbI2VkLAYxfTy1RqicYhBbxBgmT1keJyDom8mfNr_Jd-W5cpsaUYF6-YywsuS2KJwIPiM81pJ6PG0dwzFViTSJ0U9CRSFNo12

cqRrl-U4wWPtENdZ0lOBW8AR5dxbOJ36v7B2LjsnZDl3X8HJbox0zuOvjWVLfIlTKzDo3vaODdbWExDufrhkIf2aZYkt0D02kF5l2wlw5MJCqIjaW6mFfmou4ZAR9S94qmlzDKxx

6sm-vXWtjPXj5hKd2OJBu5FapoK-a4baopDWYAiswTLzls7l2KtFCgAQQbT5hOlYSIcMTkh-Q68YQKDwYGmTchLwjnPxXb8COaRxab7HAQPlbZ4shpuJyVxFfLE6p1rMuelkRpsY

The German line is known for its tanky ships. Großer Kurfürst having some of the best armour and highest HP in the entire game. German cruisers get 5 heals instead of 4 like other navies, this is to encourage more aggressive play and to push the enemy. Likewise, you’d expect their battlecruisers to be somewhere in between, heavier armour than a cruiser but weaker than their contemporary battleships. Germans are also known for their turtleback armour scheme, making them almost immune to citadels except in occasional situations. 

Agir has a few unique traits for starters unlike the battleship or cruiser line Agir gets only 4 heals instead of 5. This doesn’t seem like much but I’ve personally been really missing that extra heal charge. Agir takes a lot of HE damage from cruisers and I’ve found myself often at the end of games with low health and wanting that extra little boost. Agir’s armour is a mixed bag. With good angling and active maneuvering, the armour can hold up quite well. Against cruisers like Hindenburg, the 190mm armour belt combined with the 80mm turtleback does an adequate job of protecting the citadel. However, ships like Des Moines with heavy AP shells improved pen angles and fast reload are capable of dealing heavy damage really quickly. And against cruisers, battlecruisers or battleships with good penetration values the turtleback does very little to protect your ship. Agir has her citadel poking above the waterline, this means that unlike in German BB’s like Tirpitz, Bismarck, Großer Kurfürst who’s citadel is completely beneath the waterline giving broadside in Agir will result in citadels. 

In a 1-on-1 comparison, I consider Alaska to be a tankier cruiser than Agir. While Alaska’s armour is thinner on the midships plating Alaska has quite a few advantages over her adversary. For example, Alaska’s deck is 6mm thicker at 36 compared to 30mm. Her belt armour is 229mm to Agir’s 190mm. Alaska sits much lower in the water making her freeboard rather difficult to hit. Finally and most crucially Alaska’s citadel is entirely beneath the waterline, meaning citadeling Alaska is far more difficult than citadeling Agir.

Artillery

Main Armament: 3x3 305mm guns

Secondary Armament: 9x2 128mm guns

Main Battery Reload: 20s

Range: 18.5km

yK6C8qFBPhi88VC4jUNqT0iPKGVQiyhJQgku7KNHJBXwBjul1yqvlkMb-EKWegP9vHCXKPHkc1TxEJdC4aVoDqowX-X9xXRJjPl4HbsGBPIp2vWZpQU1zf0hC2jnLFZF8eMYnGkR

Agir’s guns have decent penetration, they have a subpar range and an average reload. They’re not notable in any way other than the good AP shell damage of 9,100, of course, this is compensated for by the lacklustre HE rounds which have a decent fire chance of 27% but low damage 3,600. The shells are also exceptionally fast travelling at 865m/s for both the AP and HE. They’re the second-fastest 305mm in the game with only Soviet bias shells beating them at a whopping 950m/s. The guns feel comfortable to use and aiming at longer ranges is pretty easy. Out to a range of 8km Agir has the best penetration of all T9 battlecruisers with the exception of Siegfried. However, beyond that Agir penetration at long range is the lowest among her counterparts, not by much in fact there’s only 4mm of difference between Alaska and Agir at 21km but it’s still there. This can be really frustrating because of her low HE damage I felt like I was forced to play the ship in the worst way possible. Giving a ship high AP damage and low AP pen at ranges feels like locking off the only good part of the ship. Because of this, I found myself firing a lot of HE in games where the damage was consistent thanks to the ¼ pen rule applied to Germans but lower than if I was firing AP.

In-game I found the most success when I loaded AP and fired at broadsides, focusing any ship that didn’t angle enough and ignoring bow-in ships. Playing like this allowed me to get decent damage against enemies and use the guns of Agir to their full potential. 

Could you do a meme secondary build? Sure I guess, but it’s not recommended while the secondaries are extraordinarily accurate their range and been butchered down to 8km which in a T7 game is usable, but, in a T10 game feel like digging yourself into a hole with a secondary build. Again if you wanted to do it I guess you could get away with it since Agir remains rather consistent with her shots even without aiming systems modification 1, my only problem was justifying the points in a secondary build. To me, it’s not worth it but if you want to do it for craps and giggles then go for it.

Now the biggest question for here is would I rather an Alaska than an Agir? Now the stats make me want to say yes, I’d rather have an Alaska than an Agir in terms of artillery but after playing both I actually think I like Agir more. They don’t get the super heavy AP or the amazing auto bounce angles of Alaska but even still I prefer Agir’s guns. Their high shell velocity means you can hit targets at long range with ease and when the AP sticks it bloody hurts. I have regularly chunked battleships and cruisers for 20k using these guns. So, in my opinion, I like the Agir’s guns more than Alaska’s, however, I recognize that not everyone agrees with my opinion.

Torpedoes

Speed: 65kts

Max Damage: 13,700

Reload: 90s

I740b1z7WT2z8QWORpxt7JLhcr17CYpxVetGA0UTmYuQ13ZrWJAEkFp76N8R9j6JwXnVfd2NntUOpttIvM4_aLdiChHOos5Wuho1u8I3iFJZpV3rN6QUCbanL3CBgvU0rzTVcIF7

Honestly, there’s not much to say about Agir’s torpedoes. They’re your standard German cruiser torpedoes used for close-in brawling as a final means of finishing off opponents. Their position results in good torpedo angles, but because they’re amidship they suffer when getting shot at, often getting disabled and knocked out. They’re certainly usable and inflict heavy damage when they connect but like the Tirpitz often the torpedo tubes are removed from the ship in a hurry thanks to the amount of HE spam in the game. And if nothing else they give you a lead indicator for your main guns.

UEtQZzj9jLEhjk0vKodsTh24QO2DB3NpL7QmX92oYTEExhWnWPTiAGHPmH9LEPXnAVucnkvTNXNpQ9QMZH-xrVcDpv-YaU00tvc_rm_OxQKz3CzXg5sAqH37LT2HBdICv12Nu4kT

AA Defences

10x4 20mm cannons

9x2 55mm cannons

9x2 128mm dual-purpose guns

AA DPS: 369

Shell explosion: 1540

-zIHOxtWbRUkAqUA4eVha6GzOce-RVEV13roQGdoihjb-aEvXIDQsybC7RDRfxiQLIUoP1fXN00cHPDoIgmvD-PoWFYJcQ4zFy5heTOZIbv-mgqaNahxs8c7pXHuFZ5J2SEpRsRw

Agir is nothing special when it comes to AA in fact I find her to be rather weak. For the photo above I took Agir T9 and put her against a bot Ryujo at T6 despite being 3 tiers higher than Ryujo took out half my health. Now of course I wasn’t at the controls since I was trying to get a decent photo of her AA in action but it still stands that a T6 got through the AA of a T9. In fact, while her in-game AA rating is 87 which is seven points higher than her sister Siegfried at 80 I’d rather be in a Siegfried to fight enemy CVs than Agir. Siegfried gets access to both the DFAA consumable and fighter consumable while Agir gets neither of those. For some reason, WG decided that Agir wasn’t worthy of the two most useless consumables in the game. 

If I’m being honest I haven’t found the lack of Fighter/Spotter or DFAA particularly bad (I usually run with Hydro and Spotter anyway) but it’s the fact you don’t get the choice at all that is frustrating to me. 

Agir’s AA is meh, just like almost everything else on this ship. Is it terrible? No. Is it going to deplane a whole aircraft carrier? Also no. Like the vast majority of ships Agir’s AA falls into the “Doesn’t do crap if the carrier knows what they’re doing” category that the rest of the German cruiser and battleship line falls into. Where does she fall on the battlecruiser list? In the middle, she’s not an Alaska but at least she’s not Azuma. 

Maneuverability

Max speed: 33.5kts (base)

Turning radius: 880m

Ruddershift time: 11.2s (ruddershift mod 1)

5VlE5-t3AIijycfJIH_nK7xOCTpXPDhkM4febU7BQOcBTJZ-OM7oXJLAm0JAJ5_LpS4XJ4C1qRFlU0x2pIhmWdR7yPcqrLHaqOG3N5Nmk0dfDMkxo0_y1kmUsOA9EZVSBy-jNki1

Agir feels like all the other battlecruisers, she’s fast in a straight line, clumsy for a cruiser in a turn but agile for a battleship. What I found most interesting was how many people underestimated the top speed of Agir. A few times when I’ve reached maximum speed and got spotted on my way to a key area I would watch shell come flying in and land just aft of my stern. Of course, that only works once and the second time is sure to result in a massive paddling taking place if you don’t angle or dodge. I found the Agir to be nimble (enough) to mitigate incoming fire using the upper 90mm belt to ricochet shells by sailing into the enemy at an angle. 

Long-range felt most comfortable especially against big-armed BB’s like Thunderer, Kremlin, Georgia, Yamato and Shikishima. Giving ample time to mitigate incoming fire and then turn out to get all guns back on target. At close range, the ruddershift felt more clumsy where I would turn out to bring all guns on target before turning back in to angle the hull. Quite a few times I’ve been on that turning back in with my finger firmly on the A/D key and by that time the enemy has fired and my rudder is only then starting to turn the ship in. Is it acceptable? Yes, absolutely I’m still getting used to her ruddershift time and her maneuverability characteristics. Overall I feel once again Agir falls somewhere in the middle of battlecruisers with Alaska feeling closer to a battleship than a cruiser with her maneuverability and Azuma being a cruiser that’s been elongated. Agir fits nicely in there as a sort of middle buffer erring on the Alaska side of the spectrum in my opinion.

Concealment

Sea detection: 11.9km

Air detection: 8.7km

Smoke firing penalty: 11.7km

y_yxkoWlJlakt0-yg7Muqm7BYy4FQ61zhhHy2CSexl1QjqUpLqs-wygJP2GEtKeQgAoCugsVcfTTQ2nXlUbIlbQ0t_D1WABrptvWCiBteE3D9mjhmI1s5355OZDH0awZdI-jMxjP

(nothing to do with concealment just really like some of these photos)

Once again Agir sort of just sits in the middle of the pack, being slightly less detectable than Alaska and slightly more detectable than Azuma. Her concealment is acceptable allowing for positioning closer to the battle and being able to go undetected rather easily. She’s often spotted by aircraft but in this day and age, it’s to be expected. Nothing really noteworthy here other than yeah, she’s ok. 

Modules and Crew:

With my experience in Agir, I used a different combination of crews and modules here’s what I found to work best for me.

For modules:

lG6poqHTAHCfD1Uo-ynrtlN26EsuuAMIC-LdKmmhoR3mPf1llObb5P2KZR5Lkak1zJqs8VatyaoWrb3TzXugTubbfaVw3e-7bEGeSkr7tYyGrpTnu8KUO0c4RDWwnhzSog3Ibm_a

I ran with this set because I found it to work best with a longer range playstyle while not impeding on close-range brawling. It was a hard choice between range and reload but I stuck with range because of the 18.5km base range which with all the HE spam results in playing too aggressively early on in the match eating a ton of damage and dying before anything good could happen. The range mod boosts the range out to 21.5km which allows for a lot more comfortable play on maps with little to no cover. Concealment because nothing else is worth taking, ruddershift because it allows me to avoid more damage, aiming systems because there’s nothing better in that slot, damage control because fires hurt on this ship and main armaments to try and avoid losing torpedo tubes 2 minutes into the match. 

For my captain this is my #1 recommendation:

r56ZbU9FIWgu-DTtd2_3GD_M0eyyfIb8rf8n4xol5VVDZj1sKf5EW_FcMd9mAJafon8ygk5WY_iNRknnYCZpjSxz0I5kus_tYMeTvlpdaakcpDA1nX8q0SJTmu1ggTlqADn43uye

This is my GK build, it’s your standard tank build. I find it to work better on this Agir because of the 60s burn time and little armour values on the deck/side plating. If you wanted you could drop the jack of all trades skill for expert loader and preventative maintenance but I found the reduced reload time on consumables helpful. However, I know some people don’t like to run tank builds on battlecruisers because they think then they’re playing a BB without the armour so my second recommendation is:

ijJDdIGGiqstvy6hqmaf6hff1WFHFHhJVvH2zj-JSN3SEMKVquPncOuGQqFyAyVtoAp-znGiW9jpWggWI-f1YmpVoMCZKulaAqp-l88FBQnAYJ_0gJ9gpQasP3N21CNDxUyztoTU

Standard cruiser build, please note that only 15 out of the 19 points are used here. Again pretty self-explanatory speccing into the main guns and concealment. This build works ok but with all the HE spam in the game now I just feel it’s far too vulnerable to fire damage.

Final Thoughts:

The more I play Agir the more average bland this ship becomes, it’s very pretty and her sister Siegfried will eventually be mine! But Agir just sort of became this very bland kind of “meh” ship where there’s nothing to make it stick out from the rest. I mean high AP alpha and high penetration on HE shells is great but honestly, it just feels like a worse Alaska. If you already have Alaska and are wondering which ship you should spend 1m free XP on then the answer is not Agir or Azuma. If you’re like me though, hate DD’s and want a cruiser then which one do I recommend? Agir. Because while the ship is deeply mediocre with absolutely no unique features of its own it at least has armour and can make aggressive plays when your team is down and you need points. Azuma just can’t do that her 25mm of plating and massive citadel makes her a damage pinate that battleships love to hit. 

Agir is also a very pretty ship, so you know if you just want something that looks cool and you don’t care about performance than sure, Agir is fine. I just have a hard time recommending this to anyone who wants a ship that is competitive or very fun to play, because Agir’s not. Alaska will do Agir’s job better, more consistently for the same price. Basically I rank the T9 battlecruisers like this:

1. Alaska (great pick!)

2. Kronstadt (radar and good armour)

3. Agir (meh, not bad, not good)

4. Literally anything else

5. Azuma

TTifSs7ONBuNpvALjndzLuZrt0Ux9uWRfjcKVJ9J6pfgCEPPqWaOa9yhU7Tm0f9FisUIy4AVXqK0I68IGZTZ_7tCKvS2evGgbeWQOHTyf80qE9likZo65MWEnZ8WoqwOcM9Obqqk

What would make her a good bote?

If WG increased the range of the secondary battery back out to 11.5km at maximum and gave this ship some improved pen angles for her AP this ship would be a definite recommendation. Doing this would give players who want a good german secondary ship something they could play with without having to re-grind 3-5 lines to get Siegfried. And the improved AP pen angles would just make it more comfortable to use AP against targets.

Thanks for the review. It is pretty cool to have differebt opinions, as much as we can get.

can you review champagne?

[BBICT]
Members
3,878 posts
4,226 battles

Nice review! 

Yeah, I'm afraid this was another boat that wargaming got us all hot and bothered about during testing....then nerfed it to mehood before it got put up for sale. 

I'd be torn between her and the Alaska, mostly because I already have a 18 Scharn Captain ready to go, and only a 10 pointer for the Alaska. But I already have the Kron that I totally SUCK in, so maybe I need none of the above? :Smile_teethhappy:

[-OG-]
Members
283 posts
7,698 battles
4 hours ago, Felipe_1982 said:

can you review champagne?

Absolutely just picked her up, trying to get a feel for her right now but she’s my next review. I hope (Emphasis on hope) to have my review out by next Sunday. I’m finally starting to go back to work (woohoo) so my time to work on reviews has drained away, but I still want to get that review out. 

[-OG-]
Members
283 posts
7,698 battles
6 hours ago, IAF_NASTY said:

Thanks for the review 

You’re welcome, took a long time to write and that 1m video also took far longer than expected. But I’m glad you enjoyed.

4 hours ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Nice review! 

Yeah, I'm afraid this was another boat that wargaming got us all hot and bothered about during testing....then nerfed it to mehood before it got put up for sale. 

I'd be torn between her and the Alaska, mostly because I already have a 18 Scharn Captain ready to go, and only a 10 pointer for the Alaska. But I already have the Kron that I totally SUCK in, so maybe I need none of the above? :Smile_teethhappy:

As I mentioned in my review in a 1-on-1 comparison the Alaska is far better, more armour, smaller target, no citadel, longer range, better consumables etc. I guess a direct comparison for Agir is a Scharnhorst moved to T9 but with better guns in exchange for a poor armour layout. You can’t broadside in Agir like Scharnhorst for fear of being blapped and you have to play passively until you can limit the number of ships firing back at you. 

If you were to get one I highly recommend Alaska even if you have a 10 point captain. I’d recommend that you go with Piority target, adrenaline rush, superintendent, and concealment. Then it’s up to you whether you build Alaska like me, a tank build to mitigate fire damage or if you go for a pyro build like a regular cruiser.

Edited by Awe5ome
  • Cool 2

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,295 posts
13 minutes ago, Awe5ome said:

Absolutely just picked her up, trying to get a feel for her right now but she’s my next review. I hope (Emphasis on hope) to have my review out by next Sunday. I’m finally starting to go back to work (woohoo) so my time to work on reviews has drained away, but I still want to get that review out. 

i am still on home office. So i can play more than usual.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,724 posts

I'm doing better in Agir so far than I do in Alaska. 

One reason, I think, is the torpedoes -- and not just as an offensive weapon.  As a defensive weapon, they provide a level of confidence to close the range, knowing they're there if you get rushed by something.  Even in battles where I never get to use the torps, I'm doing better. 

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,894 posts
45,158 battles

TY for your review.  I think you are the only reviewer who has pointed out the major weakness I have seen when fighting against an Agir.  And that is its suprisingly vunerability to getting citadelled.  I've fought a handlful of Agir's so far and I have been able to citadel them both from other supercruisers and from heavy cruisers.  Its much easier for me to citadel an Agir than it is a Krondstadt, Alaska, or PR.  Heck, I've never citadelled a PR and I can't remember the last time I citadelled an Alaska.  Yet I've been able to get multiple citadels in my several matches against an Agir.  I will still get this ship though.  I'm just holding off on getting her until the next upgrade sale so I can outfit her properly.

Sign in to follow this