Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SkullDuggery05

Advice needed Badly please

7 comments in this topic

[-CK-]
Members
224 posts
2,357 battles

I am up to the tier 9 Russian BB Sovetsky Soyuz and I'm at a complete loss. I have pretty good games in all other BB's but this one. I have had a couple oh high scores with it but thats all. I have watched videos on her and tried and tired and tried but cannot get a good game out of it most of the time. She is a mid range brawler and I don't show my broadside. Dispersion stinks, AA is Meh. The enemy ships just counter it by being bow first and burning it to death. This BB is NOT nor will it ever be a long range sniper. I understand that so help is needed from better players than me.

Thank you

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,586 posts
18,482 battles

Whatever you learned in a BB to get up to high tier matches... Throw it out the window... Because you just entered the

High tier matches is about, reeducating yourself on all ship classes not just BB. I recommend to work on...

• Positioning
  • Map awareness
  • Exit plan
  • Not be the prime target of the fire breathers.

If you can adapt to this, you'll have a consistent favorable result.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,276 posts
17,433 battles

Got Free XP? I would love to help you but I FXP'd past it, I generally hate tier 9's anyway. Position away from other BBs (your team) to create a crossfire situation, BBs right next to each other isn't a good idea. Watch your mini map. Be ready to run and go dark. Don't push with out back up. You are not alone in the fight.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
3,747 posts
23,256 battles
46 minutes ago, SkullDuggery05 said:

I am up to the tier 9 Russian BB Sovetsky Soyuz and I'm at a complete loss. I have pretty good games in all other BB's but this one. I have had a couple oh high scores with it but thats all. I have watched videos on her and tried and tired and tried but cannot get a good game out of it most of the time. She is a mid range brawler and I don't show my broadside. Dispersion stinks, AA is Meh. The enemy ships just counter it by being bow first and burning it to death. This BB is NOT nor will it ever be a long range sniper. I understand that so help is needed from better players than me.

Thank you

Some T9 BBs are just outright horribad. Izumo and FDG immediately come to mind compared to the rest of those lines.

I've not grinded up to Soyuz yet but if you are finding it that bad then FXP to Kremlin.

[TNG-2]
Members
203 posts
14,166 battles

Soyuz is actually very good.  You should have a tank/accuracy build (see Flamu).  I recommend a flank strategy with Soyuz.  When possible, move to the 1/2 or 9/10 line aggressively at the start of the game (unless you spawn dead middle).  Once on the flank, you have 2 questions... am I on the strong flank or weak flank of the enemy team?  How far forward do I want to push based on that info.  If you are on the enemies strong flank, you need to have a way to turn out and beat a kiting retreat... the best trick is finding terrain to cover your citadel on the turn out... sometimes you just have to risk it, but getting turned out is extremely important if the enemy is strong on your flank because you'll be focused to death fast if you can't accelerate out.  If you're on the enemies weak flank, you need to maintain nose in and determine how quickly you can push.  If they have a significant number of BBs on that flank, maintain a solid angle to all of them even if it means your back guns aren't in the fight.  Then push when the time is right like any other BB.  Try to avoid in Soyuz, going solo to a flank... preferably have at least 2 friends... if not available, take a kiting position early and at least 15km away from the enemy so you can go dark with ease.  Final thoughts, keep a good count on enemy DDs, because as all BB drivers are painfully aware, the unaccounted for Shimakaze is the one that will kill you with one torp salvo.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,493 posts
10,804 battles

be patient, try to be more central and avoid pushing in close too early.

the russian bb guns are not great, definitely not what they use to be. stay at mid ranges and just chip away at the enemies hp till you see an opportunity to start pushing aggressively and use your hp/armour to bully enemy ships.

Members
30 posts
3,084 battles

Oooohhhhh I actually am currently regrinding the RU BB line and am back in Vladivostok. Soyuz was by far and away my favorite of the line but it wasn’t until I was around 160k exp where I learned to appreciate her. Heck I even much prefer Soyuz over Kremlin. Basically what I found worked for Soyuz was to angle away with your stern/ butt toward the enemy so you can flee if necessary. The guns are high velocity and will pen cruisers easily if not overpen. Generally I found shooting at 12-15km was comfortable and the dispersion was actually fairly nice compared to the other ships in the line. Her AA will at least make approaching CVs uncomfortable but in reality you’ll want to be near some teammates anyway. What makes Soyuz stand out is her ability to completely laugh off damage and fires. I went with an odd build on the special Vasily captain from the armory and took all consumable recharge skills, FP, and BOS while foregoing CE. Generally you’re spotted the majority of the game and your job can also be to attract enemy fire from the reds which saves your team some HP. The Soyuz can absolutely nuke any cruiser dumb enough to get within 17km of it and can punish other BBs. My personal favorite thing to do is kite German BBs who want to get me into secondary range and I just pummel their belt armor. On the flip side Soyuz can push a flank and pummel cruisers and BBs while maintaining an angle. Basically at tier 9 you’re gonna have to get solid positioning and I believe Flamu did some vids on the topic which were helpful. His Soyuz video is especially accurate to how I play her. Really just angling backward much like a reverse side scraping IS-3 in WOT which also helps you gun it out of a bad situation. Your fighter is really just there for moral support and the turrets turn insanely fast allowing you to switch targets very quickly. And generally to make her guns work it’s not much different than Izmail at tier 6. Fast shells that will absolutely deter people from pushing you and those dumb enough to do so will get kited to oblivion. Generally I see many people trying to bow tank and hold a close position which is workable at times but at tier 9 you’re gonna get torped via plane or DD or just get burnt alive. So angling is the best method much like the ships before her. In my own experience you can separate the velocity of the shells into groups for the line. Veliky, Izmail , and Soyuz in the fast shell side and the Sinop, Vlad, and Kremlin in the slower shell grouping. Basically you can slap just about any ship with minimal lead and your biggest enemy will be over pens. Letting CLs angle a bit before you nuke them can work much like Roma. Though I found her guns to be some of the better ones of the line. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this