Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
captain_fearless

What’s up with Yudachi?

16 comments in this topic

Members
26 posts
3,482 battles

Why is Yudachi condsidered a bad ship? She’s got smoke and torp reload at the same time and 12km Torps. She’s been pulled from the premium shop too, never knew she was that unbearable.

• Thanks 1

Members
116 posts
1,464 battles

15 kilometre torpedoes but the detection on them is horrendous and they aren't particularly fast either. So ships can spot them farther out AND have more time to dodge those torps making them less usable than Shiratsuyu's torpedoes. Shira also hits harder (slightly) and reloads quicker and 10 km torpedoes are very comfortable and still pretty stealthy and effective! Really as a torpedo boat, Shiratsuyu does it better even if she has to choose between smoke and TRB while at the same time neither are particularly good gun platforms. So Shiratsuyu is just a better pick and since it's available in the tech tree, why bother getting the Yudachi really. 

EDIT: Yudachi actually has a 9 sec gun reload compared to 7.5 for Shira so Yudachi is an even worse gun platform and the torpedoes are a questionable buff at best. She got pulled to create a sense of "Artificial Scarcity" people are more likely to buy her if they think she won't be around for long. WG did this with 3 other pretty meh ships and I can't say I'm a fan of the practice, but even they seem to admit these ships aren't particularly interesting or fun to play.

Edited by LaviKabos
  • Boring 2

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,568 posts

You can see the torps coming from across the map.  Their detection range is large.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

Torps with that long of range easily become a liability, on top of all the stuff mentioned above.

[PHD]
Members
1,514 posts
6,474 battles

In testing the torp's long detection range hurt them add to that poor, if not laughable, AA. So what did WG do? Increase the torp detection but add a TRB gimmick while keeping smoke. That "fixed it", can't be making an OP IJN DD now can we?:Smile_facepalm:

[GRAVE]
Members
1,271 posts
18,799 battles
3 hours ago, captain_fearless said:

Why is Yudachi condsidered a bad ship? She’s got smoke and torp reload at the same time and 12km Torps. She’s been pulled from the premium shop too, never knew she was that unbearable.

worse stealth than Shira, far worse torps (15km, less damage, 1.9km detection going 57knts) even worse gunpower than Shira. And shira is already one of the most meh of T7 DDs, and Yudachi is by far the worst premium DD probably in the game.

[PVE]
Members
4,263 posts
18,638 battles
12 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

That "fixed it", can't be making an OP IJN DD now can we?:Smile_facepalm:

I am pretty sure if our host could figure a way to eliminate the entire IJN component of this game they would.....  I am still amazed when I take my Yammy out in COOP and hit a small DD with 5 HE shells and it somehow, doesn't even slow it down.......  Imagine 16,000 pounds of steel and explosives hitting anything.  A single 16" round created a 300 foot crater in the desert.........  No, the IJN is a requirement of history and no more than that.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,499 posts
10,525 battles

I like my Yudachi.  :-)

• Cool 2

[BUOY]
Members
1,016 posts
14,530 battles
4 hours ago, captain_fearless said:

She's pretty much the anti-Champagne. The newest premium ship has crap hard stats like no health, no armor, no guns and an itsy bitsy advantage to reload over the norm, but it's actually a pretty strong boat because those 2x3 turrets fire highly enriched Baguettium AP shells, which are second only to Stalinium for accuracy and penetrating power.

The Yudachi, OTOH spent all her POI'nts in consumables and so had to settle for the turrets Shiratsuyu rejected and dipping into the huge pile of long expired CBT 20km Shima torps.

• Funny 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
7,918 posts
11,596 battles

Yudachi is just another one of WG's "ships that are bad but if we put a famous name over it that alone will make it sell" i can almost guarantee you thats why most were bought, the name, because there are better IJN DD premiums

Edited by tcbaker777

[PHD]
Members
1,514 posts
6,474 battles
2 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

Yudachi is just another one of WG's "ships that are bad but if we put a famous name over it that alone will make it sell" i can almost guarantee you thats why most were bought, the name, because there are better IJN DD premiums

My point, or disappointment,  with the IJN DD premium (man, I keep beating this dead horse and it gets no more tender) was before Yuduchi there was Tachibana t2, Kamikaze t5 (but no longer available) Shinonome t6 (hard to get) and Asashio t8 ( a niche and meme unto itself) and that was it. The was a need, or desire on my part, for the ship.

And it seems WG decided to make a ship for that slot as a test. How bad can we make a ship and still have desperate people buy it.

That is my personal opinion that may not be backed up by facts and certainly not stats. Others will have different opinions, though it seems not many. 

Disappointment seems to be part of the game, but I find things to like too. Embrace the things you like and try to get over what you don't while always trying to "get gud" seems to have become my goal. 

Who knows the Poi may return better than before. 

Hint to WG, offer special Armory AA modules for coal and/or gold. :Smile_coin: A special kemo program for sky cancer. :cap_rambo:

Rantlet over.:Smile_honoring:

[BUOY]
Members
1,016 posts
14,530 battles

Thing that's the most disappointing about IJN DD premiums is the only one that's even close to analogous to the gunboat line is the rarely available HSF Harekaze. While in the meantime we have 2x/3x (depending on how you count Asashio-B) Kagero derivatives, 4x/5x Amagi derivatives and so on. 

[PHD]
Members
1,514 posts
6,474 battles
13 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

Thing that's the most disappointing about IJN DD premiums is the only one that's even close to analogous to the gunboat line is the rarely available HSF Harekaze. While in the meantime we have 2x/3x (depending on how you count Asashio-B) Kagero derivatives, 4x/5x Amagi derivatives and so on. 

Some of the tech tree gunboat DDs  aren't exactly gun boats IMHO.

The Yubari was a cruiser trying to be a destroyer and the Akizuki was a destroyer trying to be a cruiser.

The problem was that once the IJN started the Special Type they just stayed with it. The  Hatsuharu was an attempt to make a Fubuki on less displacement. (That class had a major rebuild once the stability issues were discovered)

Cruisers,  Yubari   fun at t4, Yahagi t5 (what were they thinking), Atago t8 (good but old & a little power creeped) Azuma/Yoshino (above my pay grade at present)

[INTEL]
Members
13,067 posts
36,061 battles
9 hours ago, captain_fearless said:

Yudachi torp problems can be ameliorated by using the torp accel captains skill and the upgrade module in slot 3. 

The major problem is its guns. Slow reload... So i run IFHE for knife fighting. Because of the gun issues, its hard to carry in her. 

Her detect, 6.1, is poor, another issue. 

Fun bote, but you need to be divved since her carry potential is so low.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,013 posts
22,096 battles

With mods and skills, I have 12km 65kt torps, but nothing can help that 1.9 detect. 

[WOLFX]
Members
55 posts
3,739 battles

I responded to this question in depth a while ago so here's the copy n' paste answer below. The short answer is she sacrifices a lot to get 12km torpedoes (I say 12km because TA is mandatory!) and TRB + smoke combo. 

Let's see, she trades:

• Lower DPM on her guns due to a longer 9(!) second reload
  • Higher detection range of additional 0.33 km/0.23 km
  • 1,600 less damage on her torpedoes (17.2k to 15.6k)
  • Lower Flooding Chance of 28%
  • Torpedoes move 5 kts slower
  • 0.3 km higher detection range on her torpedoes
  • Both of the above lead to a theoretical 2.9 sec increase to the time it takes to react to the torpedoes at 12.8 sec(!)
  • 140% reduction to her AA DPS from 119 to 21
  • 1 sec slower rudder shift time

What She Gains:

• 0.81 km extra gun range
  • 15km range on her torpedoes
  • Faster torpedo tube reload by 1 second
  • 400 extra HP
  • Ability to slot both smoke and TRB

So yeah, she loses a lot of offensive potential in that her guns have sub-cruiser levels of reload times, her torpedoes can be seen and dodged so easily, has worse concealment... all for extra gun and torpedo range, a little extra HP, and the ability to slot TRB with smoke. 

Buying her and sailing her is like handicapping yourself: if the enemy knows what they're doing, they'll easily dodge or mitigate your torpedoes, and out-trade you in gunfights. The torpedo reload simply increases the number of torpedoes the enemy is going to dodge, so it's not a game changer.

This is made even worse by the fact that she's a tier VII, which gets screwed over by Tier VIIIs and IXs all the time. Honestly the state she's in now makes me wonder if she'd be better at tier VI, as she is no where near competitive enough for tier VII at all.

This also makes me wish for the day that the IJN can reclaim their throne of having the best torpedoes in the game, as for right now, the only thing IJN torpedoes have going for them is their damage and that's it... and even Yuudachi doesn't have that either with those 15.6k torps which is like the damage tier V Mutsuki does.

Sign in to follow this