You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Tpaktop2_1

Combat Signal flags useful?

13 comments in this topic

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,608 posts
19,739 battles

I am coming to an understanding that the 5% boost from combat signal flags are not worth it to earn or use. I think the current game mechanics have null the bonus effects of signals. The CV rework has killed the November Echo Setteseven signal. The Sierra Mike signal is not really worth applying to ships. For example a 30 kts ship can now do 31.5 kts. The Victor Lima and India X-Ray have been nerfed by IFHE changes. The only combat signals that I can see in having a slight value are the Juliet Charlie (Detonation) and the India Yankee (fire reduction). However even those are questionable based on the ship using them.

The only thing to really use is the Economic Signals or Special signals, where the real benefits come when flying them in matches. I find it weird fighting for .1 to 1.5 in numbers in making a ship stats better for gaming performance. What do you guys think of the combat signals usage? Are they worth it to you?

Edited by Tpaktop2_1
  • Boring 1

[META_]
Members
1,235 posts
16,073 battles

It's small advantages not huge ones.... But they add up... Let's say the fire duration flag, secondary flags, ram flags,... I love the ram flag in dds😳🤔😉it is a weakness of mine🤣😅😁

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,122 posts
4,088 battles

Quite the opposite, most of them are very useful.

You're right, AA isn't that useful right now, but that's more an AA issue than flag issue. The secondary flag is very useful though, increases range and ROF. The two increase fire chance flags are also good, remember a percentage point or two is a lot when you're ship only has 10% or fire chance to begin with. Flooding chance is less useful, but still OK. Ramming flag is what decides who survives a ram if you're running it. Detonation flag, only reason I don't run it on everything is to save it for ships that are more likely to get detonated. Reduced fire and flood duration flags are also very useful. Extra heal flag is very nice, more heal is more HP. Speed boost flag, yeah it might only be a knot or two, but hey, every bit helps, next time you barely dodge (or don't dodge) a torp, remember that the sierra mike flag very likely could be the difference there. And the reduced consumable cooldown? There's a captain skill that does that, so I'd say it's useful. So while they're not huge bonuses they definitely are noticeable improvements, and since there's zero downside to running them, not to use them when you have them is just putting yourself at a disadvantage.

And yes, obviously some signals are better on some ships than others, but that doesn't mean signals overall are useless.

• Cool 3

Members
6,621 posts
20,650 battles

An argument could be made for everything in this game, modules, captain skills, camo, flags... Instead of a death by a thousand cuts, each smidge of improvement you can make, can add up. 

Using your example of the Sierra Mikes.... how many times I have had almost no health and desperately trying to get undetected... I would rather be going 31.5knts than 30... 

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
1,512 posts
6,444 battles
4 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

An argument could be made for everything in this game, modules, captain skills, camo, flags... Instead of a death by a thousand cuts, each smidge of improvement you can make, can add up. 

Using your example of the Sierra Mikes.... how many times I have had almost no health and desperately trying to get undetected... I would rather be going 31.5knts than 30... 

The faster the ship the bigger the bonus. Except for the French DDs when running speed boost, WG nerfed the flag bonus then.

[INTEL]
Members
1,774 posts
15,696 battles

India Delta is a 20% increase in restored HP for each use of repair party. I can use RP on a NM with double fires and end up with more HP than I started with. It can be the diff between an early exit and a great game for a UK cruiser. It's like bringing an extra BB into a game when you load Conq. It allows IJN BB's to not suffer much from the 10 sec DCP. It greatly mitigates the limited DCP charges for RU BB's.

India Yankee. 20% shorter duration for fires.. Yes Please.

November Foxtrot. There have been many matches where that 5% shorter cooldown has been the difference between being an observer and having a great match.

Sierra Mike.. "only" a 5% increase in speed. That tiny bit of speed is often the diff between a DD taking multiple hits and zero.

I could go on.

If you don't think signals are worth the effort, by all means sell them... hope I see you on the red team... a LOT.

Edited by Ares1967
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
42 minutes ago, Ares1967 said:

India Delta is a 20% increase in restored HP for each use of repair party. I can use RP on a NM with double fires and end up with more HP than I started with. It can be the diff between an early exit and a great game for a UK cruiser. It's like bringing an extra BB into a game when you load Conq. It allows IJN BB's to not suffer much from the 10 sec DCP. It greatly mitigates the limited DCP charges for RU BB's.

India Yankee. 20% shorter duration for fires.. Yes Please.

November Foxtrot. There have been many matches where that 5% shorter cooldown has been the difference between being an observer and having a great match.

Sierra Mike.. "only" a 5% increase in speed. That tiny bit of speed is often the diff between a DD taking multiple hits and zero.

I could go on.

If you don't think signals are worth the effort, by all means sell them... hope I see you on the red team... a LOT.

I agree and also the signal flags that increase the odds of starting fires or floods on enemy ships are also useful.

Pretty much every signal flag is useful with only the flood duration reduction flag being the only one that might be a bit more questionable in its usefulness these days. But even that flag can still prove situationally useful.

[SYN]
Members
5,877 posts
13,296 battles

For destroyers, It is critical that Sierra-Mike and Juliet-Charlie are always mounted.  Don't leave home without 'em.  Everything else helps but are optional.

Battleships and cruisers with repair, it's India-Delta and India-Yankee (I-Y for all battleships and repairable cruisers with battleship fire burn times only).  Again, everything else helps but are not critical.

Most cruisers without repair can do just fine without using any signals at all.  I often play cruisers without mounting any signals and, weirdly enough, I tend to have my best matches in them when this is done.  If I do mount any, it's Victor-Lima, India-XRay, Juliet-Charlie (to counter risk of detonation when using I-X), and Sierra-Mike (only on ships faster than 33 knots).

Using Sierra-Mike is, IMO, a waste on anything slower than 33 knots.  It is one of the most important signals, is very expensive to buy, and is often one of the hardest to come by otherwise.  Use S-M only on ships that can make good use of it.

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,422 battles
1 hour ago, Ares1967 said:

Ya, WG MM Gods, pls put Tpaktop2_1 (& like ilk) on my red teams too, lol.

I, specifically, use SM flag (amongst others) on favourite ships &, yes, on high tier DDs.

Edited by Antean
correction

[BOTO]
Members
1,262 posts
15,432 battles
3 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

I am coming to an understanding that the 5% boost from combat signal flags are not worth it to earn or use. I think the current game mechanics have null the bonus effects of signals. The CV rework has killed the November Echo Setteseven signal. The Sierra Mike signal is not really worth applying to ships. For example a 30 kts ship can now do 31.5 kts. The Victor Lima and India X-Ray have been nerfed by IFHE changes. The only combat signals that I can see in having a slight value are the Juliet Charlie (Detonation) and the India Yankee (fire reduction). However even those are questionable based on the ship using them.

The only thing to really use is the Economic Signals or Special signals, where the real benefits come when flying them in matches. I find it weird fighting for .1 to 1.5 in numbers in making a ship stats better for gaming performance. What do you guys think of the combat signals usage? Are they worth it to you?

Sierra Mike is one of the most useful signals there is, extra speed is always useful.  I'm not sure why you think Victor Lima and India X-Ray have been nerfed.

I pretty much run Sierra Mike, Juliet Charlie, Victor Lima, India X-Ray, November Foxtrot and India Delta (for ships that have Repair Party) on all my ships.  These are force multipliers and they are definitely worth it to me.  Every little bit helps.

Do you not use camos on your ships?

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,176 posts
9,512 battles

Here's the kicker with the ramming flag mechanic. 

If your ship has at least more than 80% health at the time of the ram, you will survive the initial ram regardless of what ship you ram against even a DD against a full health BB.

Now in the situation of a DD ramming a BB, with above 80% health, the DD will live through the initial ram, but with enough momentum remaining the DD and BB will proceed to instantly ram each other the 2nd time and with the 50% damage increase from the flag, this translate to you doing 3x your own max health in damage to the ship you're ramming.

Case in point

[TRU]
Members
602 posts
18,247 battles

I like spawning next to a naked Des Moines.  No camo, no signals.  Usually does not end well.

OP I would take the advice here on the forums.  They are useful, but can't win a match for you.  I will be the first to admit I dressed up a ship in good camo and signals only to get caught not paying attention and get radared (forgot my stealth flag).  

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,784 posts
4,631 battles
7 hours ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

The Victor Lima and India X-Ray have been nerfed by IFHE changes.

Actually, the opposite.  It makes them *more* important.  Nerfs did not touch them so they do a relatively larger fire chance boost.  The percentage looks small, but after you work out the formula, they are significant.

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Fire#The_Calculation

Ram and Det flags are very useful, depending on  your bote.

Edited by iDuckman