You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
captain_fearless

Is the Shinonome worth the grind?

29 comments in this topic

[-KIA-]
Members
3,468 posts
14,794 battles

Shinonome is a strong T6 DD, until a CV comes and ruin your day.

I suggest you play Fubuki (if you have her) and see if you enjoy the gameplay at that tier. If the answer is yes, then Shinonome should be a good pick for you. If the answer is no well, you have your answer.

• Thanks 1

Members
1,069 posts
11,640 battles

A tier 6 Destroyer with THREE torpedo launchers and massive alpha torpedo strikes for it's tier?  And your getting paid well for it?  Uh yes, yes it is worth it.

Members
269 posts
5,084 battles

Strictly speaking, the only thing Shinonome has over Fubuki is enhanced economics and 1 more dual turret.

Consult LWM's guide: 

image.thumb.png.68a7469c6c2e8c94d438347b97d5930e.png

Members
927 posts
10,190 battles

I always thought it was odd that a campaign requiring a lot of effort using tier VIII+ ships would have a tier VI ship as it’s reward.  That being said, I got mine...

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
3,110 posts
8,239 battles

It's the ship I'd personally call the best DD at T6. That said, that's largely because T6 and 7 DDs need extremely good concealment to hope to keep up with T8 DDs. In ranked, I'd call her vying for the top spot. High alpha guns for a DD, 3 torp racks for more ability to customize your aim, fantastic concealment... she's got basically everything I could want in a DD.

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

Its a real easy campaign, not much of a grind so yea... its worth it for a free ship. CVs crapall over it though.

[PVE]
Members
6,130 posts
22,432 battles
1 hour ago, captain_fearless said:

Is it better than fubuki and worth the grind?

The grind is something you're gonna be doing anyway & if a task is too "grindy" you can repeat easy tasks over again for the stars.

It's balanced to the Fubuki pretty much (both good ships) but premiums aren't supposed to be better in combat...they're better because you can train commanders in them w/out penalty & farm 1st wins in them to get those commanders up to 19 points or get ECXP for those at 19 points.

That being said Shininome is a fairly powerful & fun ship & if you keep your AA off you can cause some havoc even in CV battles before they can hunt you down.

The extra turret makes it a better gunship than Fubuki but the turret traverse is poor so use your concealment wisely to bring all of your turrets around before firing...if you can't just torp your target out w/that 3rd rack at your disposal.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,267 posts

It was worth it for me, was a very good ship.
Haven't played it in a long time, got tons of ships now & not enough time to play them all.
As far as dealing with the current CV issues, I haven't tested it so don't know.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,574 posts
15,635 battles

Shinonome is a baby Shimakaze at T6. I put Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku on it.

Yeas it is worth the grind.

[1984]
Members
4,122 posts
19,894 battles
3 hours ago, captain_fearless said:

Is it better than fubuki and worth the grind?

Its not a grind. Simply select a mission, play, eventually winn shononononononononononome.

btw since you seem troubled, you can select the same mission over and over and collect the stars. You dont need to do every mission!

• Thanks 1

[FAE]
Members
2,609 posts
3,593 battles

Short answer: yes. 
a very fun ship with a little bit of the old IJN dd power. It’s only new in the sense of how stupidly slow the torpedoes are. They’re also normally detectable like other IJN torpedoes but at this tier they’re hard to dodge. 

the third turret is pure gravy. It’s how fubuki really should be. 
I have Yamamoto isoroku with IFHE for Akizuki on her and it’s a right riot. Those guns go great with IFHE. Hits with a hard alpha. 
only thing is 6.1 detection isn’t great. It’s just normal. 

T61 the German destroyer I feel is actually the best t6 dd but dd is generally a hard class to play. 

[KWF]
Members
4,366 posts
6,405 battles

I don't think it's fun if you just press yourself to get her. Just by naturally playing the game at high tiers she should come in no time. Pretty enjoyable and rewarding campaign to me along with the Yamamoto one.

[USCG]
Members
574 posts
19,920 battles

Honestly, I’m not a fan...  Think my biggest problem are her gun turrets. Their traverse speed is horrendous and makes gun battles rather difficult. Yes, I know she isn’t a gunboat but it would still be nice if the turrets would move faster than a battleship. If memory serves she has 8 km torps not 10. Need to get fairly close and your concealment isn’t  that great. 

Worth the grind? Well sure, What else do you have to do?  Is she a great T6 DD? Not IMO. 

Good luck. 

Edited by cgbosn4

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles
6 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

I always thought it was odd that a campaign requiring a lot of effort using tier VIII+ ships would have a tier VI ship as it’s reward.  That being said, I got mine...

Imagine a big brain moment of buying a tier 8 premium just so you can get a tier 6 premium for free.

• Funny 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,767 posts
15,649 battles
15 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Imagine a big brain moment of buying a tier 8 premium just so you can get a tier 6 premium for free.

Pretty sure that wasn't exactly what was being said.

Back to the real topic...

Shino is a fun little DD if you're used to dealing with CV's. I don't play her much these days but thats pretty true for DD's in general. When I was playing her regularly I found it fun to hunt other DD's as the alpha strike is a riot and planned attacks to allow kiting using the twin rear turrets.

• Thanks 1

[META_]
Members
1,221 posts
16,033 battles

You're playing the games anyway, the hardest thing you have to do is click on the mission.. Of course it's worth it.. It's free besides the clicks, lol

• Thanks 1

[F4E]
[F4E]
Members
666 posts
13,704 battles

Worst grind ever! The reward isn't even worth it! Steer away from this one and play something else!!  :Smile_trollface:

• Haha 1

[WOLFG]
Members
854 posts

I finished the campaign several months ago.  She sits in port.  Just don't like DDs at that level (or any level :cap_hmm:).  However, the old campaigns gave very nice rewards for each star, compared to the 'nothing'  they give you for Directives.  So for that it's worth the grind since you are playing the game anyway.

Edited by Captain_Rawhide

[PHD]
Members
1,506 posts
6,434 battles

The Shinonome and Yamamoto grinds did interest me because of the requirement for random play.

Can you run both campaigns at the same time?

I  would have liked to have the Shinonome but now that I have Asashio and Harakaze it is not  urgent. (Don't get me started on the Yuduchi!)

[DOG]
Members
692 posts
11,827 battles
4 minutes ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

The Shinonome and Yamamoto grinds did interest me because of the requirement for random play.

Can you run both campaigns at the same time?

I  would have liked to have the Shinonome but now that I have Asashio and Harakaze it is not  urgent. (Don't get me started on the Yuduchi!)

Well you can only have 3 active missions for campaigns - so you could have one or two from one campaign and one from another.  There MAY or MAY NOT be an overlap in mission requirements.  I do think that this would tend to slow down progress on both.

I have the Shinonome now (but not Asashio and Harakaze), so it's good to have the premium DD.  I like it.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

Ask yourself:

It never hurts to do the campaigns for the other things you get. That said if all it will be is a port princess then get it and sell it, unless you just want to collect ships.

Myself I have made the grind on ALL tech tree ships, but in port I think I have 20 maybe 24 ships total. I found when I started the game people said have everything, I learned some ships I am great at others I suck at. But there is a third class "The ones I just love to play because they are fun even in a loss" Those are the ships I kept.

So here is the advise.
Play all the campaigns you get stuff free and can sell ships you dont want.
Keep ONLY the ships you enjoy
Have Premium time and camo.

And play to have fun and no other reason.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[PHD]
Members
1,506 posts
6,434 battles
9 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

Well you can only have 3 active missions for campaigns - so you could have one or two from one campaign and one from another.  There MAY or MAY NOT be an overlap in mission requirements.  I do think that this would tend to slow down progress on both.

I have the Shinonome now (but not Asashio and Harakaze), so it's good to have the premium DD.  I like it.

That is my problem with WG and the IJN Premium DDs, until they came out with Yuduchi the only other mid tier DDs were Shinonome,  which is a long grind, and Kamikaze which is unobtainable by normal means (Santa Crate slot machine now)

The Harakaze was a limited time event and the Asashio is not exactly normal.