You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Soggytacoos

Premium camos...

24 comments in this topic

Members
65 posts
4,567 battles

Premium Camos should add the name and Number to the ship. All the ships that have names and numbers are premiums, so why not add that extra feature when you spend money on a camo. For example, they could put 61 and say "Iowa" on the USS Iowa, or put "Edinburgh" on the back of the Edinburgh just like it did in WW2. The camos aren't really unique for each ship its just a camo. For example, the camos for the American heavy cruisers all look the same from t7 until t10. And the lights are the same from t6 to t10. The only exception is the USS Helena Rememberence night camo which at least says the number on it, but thats also double the price of a normal camo of that tier...

Edited by Soggytacoos

Beta Testers
99 posts
20,463 battles

This is easily resolved by using custom skins. There are a Number of great skinners on these forums that have historical skins for most of the ships in game. Personal I use a hodgepodge of skins from Tanz, zFireWyvern and USNA_76 as well as a few others. Just check out the graphical modifications section of the forums a mind you will find plenty of ships with names and numbers.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,146 posts
4,345 battles

Because the idea is that the tech tree ships don't represent a particular ship, but the entire class. That's why they don't have any distinguishing markings. So Iowa technically isn't BB 61, but kind of a mashup of all the Iowa class. This is more important in other ships, where there are differences between ships in a class. WG won't model these little changes faithfully, but may combine them all. So the model isn't of a particular ship, but rather of the entire class. It might not make sense on one level, but it kind of does on another.

Premiums OTOH do represent individual ships, which is why they have their number and name painted on them in game.

• Cool 1

Members
65 posts
4,567 battles
12 minutes ago, deadmeat2012 said:

This is easily resolved by using custom skins. There are a Number of great skinners on these forums that have historical skins for most of the ships in game. Personal I use a hodgepodge of skins from Tanz, zFireWyvern and USNA_76 as well as a few others. Just check out the graphical modifications section of the forums a mind you will find plenty of ships with names and numbers.

Im not falling for your shady google drive download, reported

[SWOLF]
Beta Testers
807 posts
8,962 battles
22 minutes ago, Soggytacoos said:

Im not falling for your shady google drive download, reported

???? those topics have been around for a while, and if you dont want a gogle drive i think those mods are on mod station as well ( cant remember) or use aslans pack?

Members
65 posts
4,567 battles
3 minutes ago, deadmeat2012 said:

I smell a troll.

how am I trolling? it doesnt seem like a good idea to me, you could have anything in that drive, I have had to re build my pc once before because of viruses already

Beta Testers
99 posts
20,463 battles

It’s not my link nor even my post. The link your referring to isn’t eve a link on this post. It’s just an image from the post I referenced.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,074 posts
14,222 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Because the idea is that the tech tree ships don't represent a particular ship, but the entire class. That's why they don't have any distinguishing markings. So Iowa technically isn't BB 61, but kind of a mashup of all the Iowa class. This is more important in other ships, where there are differences between ships in a class. WG won't model these little changes faithfully, but may combine them all. So the model isn't of a particular ship, but rather of the entire class. It might not make sense on one level, but it kind of does on another.

Premiums OTOH do represent individual ships, which is why they have their number and name painted on them in game.

100% this - tech trees represent the class (and in some cases aren’t even modeled off the lead ship, like Kongo is actually based on Hiei instead), premiums represent the actual ship and bear the name and/or hull number (for the most part; still waiting for some paper ships like Thunderer to at least get their name on the camo). 

Members
65 posts
4,567 battles
17 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

100% this - tech trees represent the class (and in some cases aren’t even modeled off the lead ship, like Kongo is actually based on Hiei instead), premiums represent the actual ship and bear the name and/or hull number (for the most part; still waiting for some paper ships like Thunderer to at least get their name on the camo). 

The alaska has its name on it though, and the USS Alaska represents the Alaska class cruiser. Same with the Atlanta, Nelson and Friesland. Those are just some of the premiums that are in my port that have names and or numbers

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,146 posts
4,345 battles
1 minute ago, Soggytacoos said:

The alaska has its name on it though, and the USS Alaska represents the Alaska class cruiser. Same with the Atlanta, Nelson and Friesland. Those are just some of the premiums that are in my port that have names and or numbers

Yes, premium ships are based on individual ships, the tech tree ships are based on class and not individual ships. Premiums and tech tree are different, read my post.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,074 posts
14,222 battles
4 minutes ago, Soggytacoos said:

Because each represents an actual individual ship (USS Alaska CB-1, USS Atlanta CL-51, HMS Nelson pennant number 28, HNLMS Friesland D812) that just so happens to be the lead ship of their class. The tech tree ships represent the class and sometimes either combine design aspects into the ship overall or different hulls have elements from different ships like Colorado’s ‘mesh’ mast).

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Members
65 posts
4,567 battles
2 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Yes, premium ships are based on individual ships, the tech tree ships are based on class and not individual ships. Premiums and tech tree are different, read my post.

Yes thats what im saying... the Alaska is the Alaska class, the Atlanta is the Atlanta Class, the Neslon is the Nelson class, the friesland is the friesland class.... Those all represent a class of ships and they still have numbers and names

Members
65 posts
4,567 battles
4 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Because each represents an actual individual ship that just so happens to be the lead ship of their class. 

I know but what makes them any different than the tech tree ships? The Alaska represents the Alaska class just as much as the Iowa represents the Iowa class. 

[UNHLY]
Members
5,074 posts
14,222 battles
23 minutes ago, Soggytacoos said:

I know but what makes them any different than the tech tree ships? The Alaska represents the Alaska class just as much as the Iowa represents the Iowa class. 

Because Alaska represents the actual ship USS Alaska, not the class. Regardless of whether they’re the only ship in a class or not, WG policy in WoWS has always been tech tree = class and premium = individual ship (originally real ships that actually existed and were notable for something, now its been expanded to include designs). 

Edit for some other examples: Belfast and Edinburgh are not only both members of the same class (the Town class light cruisers), they’re part of the same Edinburgh sub class (which only included those two ships). The tech tree Edinburgh represents the class by the name of the lead ship, the premium represents an individual ship (regardless of the fact that it’s the only other Edinburgh sub class cruiser). 

Mass and Alabama are both SoDak class battleships, but neither bears the name South Dakota (whether that’s because WG planned on using the SoDak class in a split that would then bear the name of the lead ship is a question only they could answer). 

There have been situations (including the Helena that you mention, although Helena technically was a sub ship, not a true 100% Brooklyn class cruiser) where WG uses a non lead ship name for a tech tree ship, but typically that’s because either the lead ship has premium potential or because it conflicts with another named ship already in game. 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,146 posts
4,345 battles
7 minutes ago, Soggytacoos said:

Yes thats what im saying... the Alaska is the Alaska class, the Atlanta is the Atlanta Class, the Neslon is the Nelson class, the friesland is the friesland class.... Those all represent a class of ships and they still have numbers and names

No. The Alaska represents USS Alaska, CB-1, Atlanta represents USS Atlanta, CL-51, Nelson is HMS Nelson, BB-28, Friesland is D812. They do not represent the class, but the individual ships. The tech tree ships represent the class.

Several examples: Iowa represents the Iowa class BB, not BB-61. Missouri on the other hand represents USS Missouri, BB 63, which is an Iowa class BB. New York represents the New York class of BB. Texas is USS Texas, BB-35 which is a NY class BB. Fletcher represents the fletcher class DDs, Kidd and Black represent the specific Fletcher class DDs USS Kidd and USS Black. Queen Elizabeth is the name of the class, Warspite is the particular QE-class BB. The list goes on and on. You've picked a couple of examples that happened to be lead ships, but there are plenty of examples that aren't. Hood, Boise, Arizona, Enterprise, West Virginia, Alabama, Massachusetts aren't ship classes, they're specific individual ships.

Tech tree ships represent the class, not a particular ship and as such have no identifier on them. Premium ships represent a particular ship and as such have a name and number.

Members
65 posts
4,567 battles

Then if it says "premium camo-iowa" it should be a premium camo for the iowa, not the iowa class

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,146 posts
4,345 battles
13 minutes ago, Soggytacoos said:

What about the Helena? thats a tech tree but a  brooklyn class

Ah, that gets tricky, she's not actually a true Brooklyn class. She and the St. Louis are part of a subclass, very similar to the Brooklyns, but still distinct. Why exactly WG went with that over Brooklyn, I don't know, but for whatever reason it's the subclass that's modeled.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,074 posts
14,222 battles
1 minute ago, Soggytacoos said:

Then if it says "premium camo-iowa" it should be a premium camo for the iowa, not the iowa class

Permanent camos are for the ship that bears the camo’s name in game. The permacamo for the t9 US tech tree BB says Iowa because the ship is called Iowa in the game, not Iowa-class. If it were called Iowa-class in game, the camo would reflect that. Either way, the point is still the same - tech tree ships represent classes, premiums represent ships.

Members
65 posts
4,567 battles
1 minute ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Permanent camos are for the ship that bears the camo’s name in game. The permacamo for the t9 US tech tree BB says Iowa because the ship is called Iowa in the game, not Iowa-class. If it were called Iowa-class in game, the camo would reflect that. Either way, the point is still the same - tech tree ships represent classes, premiums represent ships.

Yes but my argument is if you pay for the premium side of something, you should get premium features

[UNHLY]
Members
5,074 posts
14,222 battles
6 minutes ago, Soggytacoos said:

Yes but my argument is if you pay for the premium side of something, you should get premium features

And you get the features of the ‘premium’ camo, which are the extra xp and reduced service costs, and the extra credits at t10. The base permacamo also typically reflects a real world pattern used on the ships (just like the normal type 1/2/5 consumable ones) compared to some of the more artistic options we have for consumable camos. Buying a camo doesn’t turn a tech tree ship into a premium or special ship (which has other economic benefits over tech tree ships of the same tier baked into the hull). The ship is the same regardless of what camo it uses. Tech tree is tech tree, premium is premium (except when WG pulls a ship from the tech tree like they just did with Moskva and Kirov, which are getting the old tech tree camos swapped for the premium ship/name bearing camos next patch). 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,146 posts
4,345 battles
19 minutes ago, Soggytacoos said:

How is adding a ship name a premium feature?

Members
65 posts
4,567 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

How is adding a ship name a premium feature?

because only the premium ships have ship names