You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
NoZoupForYou

Champagne Final Review

57 comments in this topic

Members
1,691 posts
7,318 battles

Feels like an Alsace... except you have three less guns.  Which hurts it.  A lot.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,349 battles
4 minutes ago, NoZoupForYou said:

Feels like an Alsace... except you have three less guns.

She has SIX fewer guns.

Alsace has twelve (three quads); Champagne has six (two triples).

• Cool 3

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,961 battles

So, another battleship that hides at the back of the map sniping..............

Interest cat is not interested - Interest Cat | Meme Generator

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
795 posts
7,249 battles

Looks tempting, even though I don't play French BB's anymore.   For me, at least, the low rifle count and low HP could cause issues.  Secondaries seem okay-ish,  but they might temp you into getting into trouble with the high speed.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

I'm really not sure what Champagne brings new to the table that existing T8 battleships don't already have covered....

[KIA-A]
Beta Testers
3,416 posts
6,014 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I'm really not sure what Champagne brings new to the table that existing T8 battleships don't already have covered....

Excellent long range fire and good mobility?

• Boring 1

[-1]
Members
812 posts
11,756 battles

I'm not sure she's worth it. Georgia does exactly the same job, arguably even better, and she's free. This ship just should be sold before Georgia.

[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles

There are no tier 8 Operations, so there is absolutely no incentive for me to get this ship. It doesn't look like a good Co op ship either. Lets see, 6 guns, long reload, wonky dispersion at times, you would be lucky to get in 12 hits in a battle.

Tier 8 Ranked Sprint will tell a lot about this ship and will probably be it's most informative review. If you are on the fence about this ship, I would keep an eye on what happens there. Keeping in mind of course that advanced players will be using it more than novices.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLF8]
Members
8,116 posts
6,782 battles

Her biggest weakness is that she literally has paper thin armor, which forces the user to stay at long range. Good thing her guns are very accurate, lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

I'm not into sniper-ish playstyle, so she would be a hard pass for me. :Smile_hiding:

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
795 posts
7,249 battles
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

There are no tier 8 Operations, so there is absolutely no incentive for me to get this ship. It doesn't look like a good Co op ship either. Lets see, 6 guns, long reload, wonky dispersion at times, you would be lucky to get in 12 hits in a battle.

Looks like you can't even use your secondaries to salvage a decent payout, either.   Too close and your hp and armor melt.   

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
1 minute ago, Ann_Darrow said:

Looks like you can't even use your secondaries to salvage a decent payout, either.   Too close and your hp and armor melt.   

There are a lot of secondary barrels, but as you note, getting close enough to use them is suicidal. 

All those DP mounts have the potential to stat out as decent AA, which I suppose is useful for a ship that many will be tempted to park someone off by itself.  

Overall, just what this game "needs", another bote to appeal to the max-range "heroes". 

• Funny 1

[CDOH]
Members
899 posts
8,510 battles

The ship is just awful.  Secondarys that can't pen DDs with out IFHE.  AP is not accurate at all.  No armor and low health pool.   Long reload time for 6 guns.  Wow wargaming, how did this every get past testing.  Well done.

Edited by Rothgar_57

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
795 posts
7,249 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

There are a lot of secondary barrels, but as you note, getting close enough to use them is suicidal. 

All those DP mounts have the potential to stat out as decent AA, which I suppose is useful for a ship that many will be tempted to park someone off by itself.  

Overall, just what this game "needs", another bote to appeal to the max-range "heroes". 

In my case, I tend to use my secondaries on my Massachusetts as a backup for getting hits, just in case I get unlucky with the main battery.  She's also tough enough to withstand the hellfire.  I can't imagine doing something like that in the Champagne.

[CDOH]
Members
899 posts
8,510 battles
5 minutes ago, Ann_Darrow said:

In my case, I tend to use my secondaries on my Massachusetts as a backup for getting hits, just in case I get unlucky with the main battery.  She's also tough enough to withstand the hellfire.  I can't imagine doing something like that in the Champagne.

The secondaries can't pen dd hull.  its only 17mm

Members
1,994 posts
28,610 battles

Just another gun in the water for those with more dollars than sense.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
16 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Oh sheesh, good catch -- yeah, any part of a DD that's 19mm is immune to most of the secondary spam from this ship.  

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
795 posts
7,249 battles
20 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Ewww.  Now, that's just nasty.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,349 battles
12 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

Just another gun in the water for those with more dollars than sense.

When I pushed the "BUY" button on the Ignis Purgatio last night, I knew exactly why I was doing it and what I was letting myself in for.

Were I to push the button on the Champagne instead, I'd be thinking "Err... okay; she's new, I guess... that's interesting... maybe she'll be OK?" That's not a recipe for a sale to a discerning player. 

I can see Twitch streamers who make significant amounts of money buying her as a content generator, but then we're going deep into the matter of what constitutes an investment and how they justify it to the taxman at the end of the year. And that's okay for them, I guess, but that's not me.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[1IF]
Banned
436 posts
1,874 battles
2 hours ago, SeaborneSumo said:

Drop reload to 24 seconds, problem solved.  I'd get her.

On board the Champagne, a flunkey Officer put down his binoculars.

"Potential Lampreyfish (sucker) sited sir. It's hovering just out of range & not approaching any closer."

"Ring the Turret Officers and order them to speed up the shell loading even if that blows all the electrical circuits, just as long as we get off a speedier broadside." replied the Captain.

• Boring 2

[WKY04]
Members
4,047 posts
25,715 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Tier 8 Ranked Sprint will tell a lot about this ship and will probably be it's most informative review. If you are on the fence about this ship, I would keep an eye on what happens there. Keeping in mind of course that advanced players will be using it more than novices.

Do people buy cash ships solely to play against bots and scripted bots? Wondering how much of the sales go down this route. 

[WKY04]
Members
4,047 posts
25,715 battles
30 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Oh sheesh, good catch -- yeah, any part of a DD that's 19mm is immune to most of the secondary spam from this ship.  

Yeah, only the larger caliber secondaries will do anything of note, and there are only nine of them.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
3 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Do people buy cash ships solely to play against bots and scripted bots? Wondering how much of the sales go down this route. 

I had a moment of weakness last fall, and bought Scharnhorst B in part so that I'd have a second Scharnhorst for Narai. 

:Smile_facepalm:

[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles
2 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

I do, so at least one.

• Cool 2