You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

T-61 or Kidd or something else

19 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,504 posts
6,372 battles

I am looking at getting a premium German and US DD and I have doubloons and a coupon.  T-61 and USS Kidd are the two that look most tempting.  Which is better, or is there something else I should be considering?

I read both @LittleWhiteMouse reviews, but they are both long out of date, particularly the USS Kidd review.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,216 posts
10,832 battles

IMHO they are both great ships. I would use your coupon on Kidd, as you'll get the biggest discount, but T-61 is a monster at Tier VI and is good in pretty much every game mode. Kidd is just a favorite of mine. Five guns, short on torpedoes, but healthy slug of HP and the heal and good AA (for a destroyer).

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,118 battles

T-61 is a great DD I would argue better than Kidd (though Kidd is also a good DD). However, I feel that the current CV meta has crapon T-61 harder than Kidd, Kidd sees fewer CVs and imo can deal with them better. 

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,960 battles

I'll throw a wrench in things... But I have both kidd and t-61......both are good but totally different playstyles.... Others to think about would be z39 and monaghan.... Maybe a cheaper concept.... Monaghan has DFAA, z-39 has awesome health pool. And long range hydro.... I posted a z39 ranked video a month ago in the German dd section. It's youtube channel Meta_man2002 she is overlooked... Monaghan with the CV meta has the DFAA.... Not saying kidd/t-61 isn't better just saying something else to think about.... I'm 55% in kidd, 63% in t-61... 63%z39, sub 50%in monaghan but only a handful of games in her.... She'll have a good winrate as soon as I get enough games in her. Good luck 

[CK5]
Members
1,549 posts
16,305 battles

The T-61 is great fun at Tier 6.  The only caution is that the ship really needs a level 12 captain because the turret traverse is very slow for a DD so Expert Marksman is a must along with the usual Last Stand for level 2 skills (IMHO).  

Edited by PrairiePlayer

[USCG]
Members
765 posts
23,616 battles

T61 is great as is the Kidd. I’m currently running the Kidd in Ranked sprint and she is doing great!  Planes are not a big issue and the heal allows you to push a bit harder than usual. Don’t think you’ll be disappointed in either. 

[UN1]
Members
1,385 posts
4,471 battles

I have both. Very different.

Kidd is a gunboat cap contesting monster. Strong AA, high DPM, great agility and concealment, and a heal, which is something USA tech tree DDs don't have. Has only one torpedo launcher. 

T-61 is more of a torpedo boat with surprisingly good firepower in a pinch thanks to its 32mm penetration. Like other German DDs, it's more of an all-rounder. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,504 posts
6,372 battles

Thanks for the feedback.  Leaning towards USS Kidd, but not locked in yet.

[PHD]
Members
1,930 posts
7,425 battles

it might depend on which line KM or USN you are or plan to be most invested in. Like can you use them with Captains you need to train or are they going to be stand alone ships?

Or might you need one or the other for directives? 

I have only one USN DD and two KM, I don't play either much.

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,960 battles
11 hours ago, Helstrem said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Leaning towards USS Kidd, but not locked in yet.

I just posted a kidd ranked video last night, please subscribe if you like the video

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles

I have the T-61 because I was attracted by her very short torpedo reload - useful in co-op, which I play a lot - and she's got my best German DD captain and my German 19 pointer to drive her. 

Kidd I haven't touched. She's interesting, but not quite there for me. She suffers from Cossack's disadvantage (only one torp rack), and yes, she has a heal, but she doesn't have Cossack's large number of gun barrels. I thought she lost more in comparison to Cossack than she gained, and so I've declined to pick her up for the time being. With the Monaghan, Black and the Sims already in my port, I don't feel that much need for her anyway.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

Lots of good info here already. 

I have both. 

61 is excellent. It's a a tier 6 z46. If you like DD and/or mid tier play then this is a no brainier. Besides, its not very expensive and dollar for dollar is one of the best bangs for your buck in the game.

Kidd is good/very good.  Very different play style. Yolo solo have better options. You want to play for the fleet and be on the strong flank to maximize your spotting and early warnings on torpedos and distract or thin out planes with its excellent AA. It's a picket ship that can fight its way back to safety. Its a ship all about endurance.

If I were you, just get both. I'd coupon the Kidd and put the savings toward T61. 

If it must be just one or the other then I'd get T61 and bully mid tiers.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,297 posts
10,725 battles

I have T-61 but not Kidd (though I’m probably purchasing her next), and I will say T-61 was worth the purchase. The ships is strong, very strong, with fast reloading torpedoes and hydro acoustic search to aggressively or defensively approach smoke screens. Her guns aren’t too shabby either. She can struggle in a full uptier, but so do most DDs. In a same tier or a tier VII match she can still dominate so long as she doesn’t run into a Haida.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,216 posts
10,832 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have the T-61 because I was attracted by her very short torpedo reload - useful in co-op, which I play a lot - and she's got my best German DD captain and my German 19 pointer to drive her. 

Kidd I haven't touched. She's interesting, but not quite there for me. She suffers from Cossack's disadvantage (only one torp rack), and yes, she has a heal, but she doesn't have Cossack's large number of gun barrels. I thought she lost more in comparison to Cossack than she gained, and so I've declined to pick her up for the time being. With the Monaghan, Black and the Sims already in my port, I don't feel that much need for her anyway.

Kidd I think is a better team ship for Ranked battles. You can abuse your decent concealment to create AA traps and defend your allies. You have the AA power, health, heal, and smoke to defend yourself from CVs if you are soloing a weak flank cap and are careful. Cossack is a better gunship, but not, I think, by so much that there aren't situations where I'd be willing to fight one in Kidd, who has faster turret rotation and reload, and five 5"/38 turrets are still quite respectable. And of course Kidd isn't entirely helpless against CVs. Cossack basically has to Just Dodge and hope he's not out of smoke or on cooldown at an inopportune moment when those rocket planes show up on the horizon.

I rarely racked up huge damage in Kidd this season, but I won the majority of my matches and often topped the score board, win or loss, because I focused on flexing around the map and capping.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
9 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Kidd I think is a better team ship for Ranked battles. You can abuse your decent concealment to create AA traps and defend your allies. You have the AA power, health, heal, and smoke to defend yourself from CVs if you are soloing a weak flank cap and are careful. Cossack is a better gunship, but not, I think, by so much that there aren't situations where I'd be willing to fight one in Kidd, who has faster turret rotation and reload, and five 5"/38 turrets are still quite respectable. And of course Kidd isn't entirely helpless against CVs. Cossack basically has to Just Dodge and hope he's not out of smoke or on cooldown at an inopportune moment when those rocket planes show up on the horizon.

I rarely racked up huge damage in Kidd this season, but I won the majority of my matches and often topped the score board, win or loss, because I focused on flexing around the map and capping.

In Ranked and Randoms I would agree with you that the Kidd is overall the more well-rounded weapon system in a CV-rich meta. In co-op I don't feel she would add anything at T8 to what I already have. If I were looking for my first and only premium US DD, it would be a difficult choice between her and Sims, given that the Black is currently N/A.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,216 posts
10,832 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In Ranked and Randoms I would agree with you that the Kidd is overall the more well-rounded weapon system in a CV-rich meta. In co-op I don't feel she would add anything at T8 to what I already have. If I were looking for my first and only premium US DD, it would be a difficult choice between her and Sims, given that the Black is currently N/A.

I might take Sims if I wanted to do a lot of co-op as well, since you could play Narai with it if you wanted, plus you have a second mine-er, torpedo rack and a built-in XP modifier improvement. Kidd's only real weakness is the long reload on a single torpedo rack. Fortunately, not to rub it in or anything, but if I feel like oodles of fast-reloading torpedoes, I just load up Benham and fire up the Death Blossom.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,960 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have both kidd and cossack. I think kidd has dpm advantage.. Anyway, monaghan to me is a kidd lite good aa and DFAA. So good pick. I think the lack of aa combined with low speed hurts the cossack.. Without aa it's tough being slower as a dd... Loyang and z23 get away with it because of longer smoke and longer legged  hydro... I like the cossack but can't get high winrate in her.... Le terrible you use speed against cvs

[GLF]
Members
1,172 posts
18,681 battles

Kidd AA is nothing like it was before they took away the flak puffs from the slot 3 module.  In fact they gutted AA completely on every USNDD below T9 by taking away the flak puffs from slot 3.  It used to be you got fletcher AA in T8 by playing Kidd, now it isnt even close anymore.   Without that, you essentially exchange a heal for a torp tube, and only get Benson torps.  Kidd AA isn't really any better than Bensons now (especially with the DFAA buff to only tech tree ships coming in 0.9.6)   Sorry I'll take the fletcher instead if i wanted destroyer AA with torps, or the Benson if u want T8 (the 5 gun benson B hull even gets DFAA whereas it didnt before).   To be restored to be everything that some of us originally purchased it to be, Kidd needs access to Slot 6 AA module, plain and simple (no other slot 6 modules should be allowed on it, just the AA one).  

Of the two options, T61 all day, and buy Sims also with the money you save...    T8... cossack a better bet if you just dont care about torp tubes.  It can defend itself better from CV also just by hiding because it has more smokes that recharge faster.  Cossack accel/decel is something many overlook as a huge asset.  

Edited by AnimaL21