Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_djv4ZCNmZ56F

Ranked Sprint DD commiseration thread

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
648 posts

This is just to make sure I'm not the only DD player out there who has been frustrated by this season of ranked sprint. I mean, I'm used to dodging radar and planes at high tier, but something about the meta in this ranked sprint season makes it much worse. Maybe the smaller maps, maybe the smaller team size, who knows, but it really was a rough day yesterday. 

Anyone else having similar experiences? Anyone have any tricks that have worked for them? 

Thx in advance. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,437
[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles

I did only play 2 games in ranked but I enjoyed them in my Asashio. BBs were lemming training hard both matches so it was easy to destroy them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,555
[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
19,256 battles

The Asashio has also got a very small detection from air radius, so CV planes must almost pass directly over them to spot them.   Until the BB meta thins out, it's a good choice to play.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

I haven't had much issue in the few games I played in Harekaze last night. If anything I find the smaller teams make it easier to pick out weak targets to bully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
22 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

I haven't had much issue in the few games I played in Harekaze last night. If anything I find the smaller teams make it easier to pick out weak targets to bully.

Yeah I have had fun in Harekaze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Guest
0 posts

That's good feedback. I'll stick with it. Maybe I just got a few raw deals last night. Thx.

And yeah, with all the BBs, Asashio must be a hoot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,664
[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
47 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

The Asashio has also got a very small detection from air radius, so CV planes must almost pass directly over them to spot them.   Until the BB meta thins out, it's a good choice to play.

I haven't jumped into Ranked Sprint yet.  Is the BB population that heavy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,437
[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles
3 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I haven't jumped into Ranked Sprint yet.  Is the BB population that heavy?

Both times when I queued last night  que was around  10x CV,  120x BB, 8x CL/CA,  6xDD . Other screenshots I seen were about the same.    So yeah it was real heavy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
859 posts
4,679 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I haven't jumped into Ranked Sprint yet.  Is the BB population that heavy?

The 3 BB max is making so that CV's, Cruiser & DD's are basically instantly getting into games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
554
[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,815 posts
12,810 battles
8 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I haven't jumped into Ranked Sprint yet.  Is the BB population that heavy?

120+ every match.  DDs are so fun.  I got to 5 in 11 matches

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,437
[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles
2 minutes ago, macktkau2 said:
9 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I haven't jumped into Ranked Sprint yet.  Is the BB population that heavy?

The 3 BB max is making so that CV's, Cruiser & DD's are basically instantly getting into games.

 

Thats not true.  Had 4x and 5x BB in my matches yesterday. 

Edited by eviltane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
815
[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles

We are one day into the sprint, the sky isn't falling.... I used my le terrible which has no aa and dominated... Posted my game an hour ago under French dds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
96
[GLF]
Members
582 posts
8,234 battles

British dds with rapid smoke reloads, or, EU with good aa, or ijn with aa off with low air detection. 

All ok.

I find light cruisers to be bad with the maps this season.

Heavy cruisers have been very good so far for me. 

Avoiding the BB waits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
96
[GLF]
Members
582 posts
8,234 battles
41 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

We are one day into the sprint, the sky isn't falling.... I used my le terrible which has no aa and dominated... Posted my game an hour ago under French dds

I believe it, most of the Cvs I have seen in sprint are terrible at the game. So I can see how the French would be good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,292
[KAG]
Members
1,355 posts
12,906 battles

Less DDs in the queue the better in my opinion.  Less people spotting me in my DD :) . I ranked out in 19 games yesterday because everyone thinks BBs are the end all be all.  Easily countered lemming train pushes by use of the flank and extreme dakka from Aki.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
314
[MHG]
Members
457 posts
22,953 battles

Sure, CVs are super annoying to deal with. Had one match where the only thing remaining was a CV hiding on the other side of the rock, but instead of being able to kill it I was forced to smoke up in the end and wait out the match till we won on points (we had three caps and were 3 ships up). To the point of playing DDs overall, I still think it can work well, if you just stay out of the CVs attention by staying close to your fleet for AA support at the starting 1-2 rocket plane runs and then only venturing out when you have an escape plan, like smoke. I have played the Akizuki and Benson, both quite successful, demanding very different play styles. One is a mini-cruiser, being able to set the map on fire while the other depends on your team to do the damage while you provide intel. Would also play the Lightning if I had a captain on it that had more than 3 points.

image.thumb.png.5f33cc660269e29586c89724869bb01d.png 

I'm no unicum, but 60%+ WR on the DDs I played with more than 1 kill per game tells me that DDs have a fighting chance, one just needs to get in sync with the playstyle called for by the DD picked. And of course hope that you are not the lone DD in a match with a unicum CV on the other side, because that really limits you, not unwinnable though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
815
[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
20 minutes ago, OnociTsalk said:

Sure, CVs are super annoying to deal with. Had one match where the only thing remaining was a CV hiding on the other side of the rock, but instead of being able to kill it I was forced to smoke up in the end and wait out the match till we won on points (we had three caps and were 3 ships up). To the point of playing DDs overall, I still think it can work well, if you just stay out of the CVs attention by staying close to your fleet for AA support at the starting 1-2 rocket plane runs and then only venturing out when you have an escape plan, like smoke. I have played the Akizuki and Benson, both quite successful, demanding very different play styles. One is a mini-cruiser, being able to set the map on fire while the other depends on your team to do the damage while you provide intel. Would also play the Lightning if I had a captain on it that had more than 3 points.

image.thumb.png.5f33cc660269e29586c89724869bb01d.png 

I'm no unicum, but 60%+ WR on the DDs I played with more than 1 kill per game tells me that DDs have a fighting chance, one just needs to get in sync with the playstyle called for by the DD picked. And of course hope that you are not the lone DD in a match with a unicum CV on the other side, because that really limits you, not unwinnable though.

If you haven't noticed it's almost like the CC's get together and decide together what to complain about.... Right now it's unplayable dds, last week how bad BBs are, before that brain dead cv drivers can't even use their own consumables but dds are overworked.... When I say this I mean multiple CC's will usually get videos up with the same complaints... A week or 2 later they will have another complaint or rinse and repeat complaints. Check out my ranked le terrible video I posted today

Edited by Meta_Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,261
[EQRN]
Members
2,240 posts
20,513 battles

I played twice last night, once in Aki, once in Harekaze.  First battle: no radar, no CV - maybe this season won’t be so bad.  Then a teammate says, finally a battle with no CV, and I’m like - crap.  Sure enough, next battle has CVs.  We won, but it wasn’t fun.  With 12 players a team can disperse to the extent a CV has limited fun-policing.  With just 7, there’s no escaping them.  

There must be a CV player with incriminating stuff on a WG exec for the class to be put on such a pedestal.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,421
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,878 posts
22,438 battles

I div'ed with a clanmate who played Enterprise. Turns out nobody wants to strike a DD with an oversized fighter squadron over it.

  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
320
Beta Testers
271 posts
9,695 battles

Freaking Ranked.

5-7 despite playing pretty darn well. 

Oh, and -2 Karma and no upvotes.  Great karma system we have here.

So frustrating.

Ranked.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
420
[AAA]
Members
447 posts
17,573 battles

Beating a dead horse here but:

CVs in 12v12 are bad enough for DDs to deal with.

Yet WG continues to bring this plague into ranked and now CBs with much smaller teams.

The CV will know where you are in this ranked. If it wants you dead, you're dead, especially late game with partial health.

DDs without smoke in this are just too hard. I played a TRB Kagero with some success, but with CVs you have to have smoke or you'll get eaten alive.

It's all just the same old broken record. CVs are a huge issue in general. Stop bringing them into anything less than 12v12, and stop allowing multiple CVs in randoms. It's just flat out stupid and unfun. It's cannibalizing the community by feeding DD vets to CV players. Stop it. NOW. But you won't. We get it. We're just whiners. :cap_book:

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Guest
0 posts

So, just an update, since I got My Kag and Lightning to enough XP for progressing to their respective T9 ships, I decided to dust off my Akizuki, and boy oh boy, why haven't I been playing this ship??? I forgot how much fun she was. Had two great games with her this evening. Both had CVs but I was fine. I think last night was just a little rough with some bad luck. CVs aren't much worse here than in randoms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×