Xero_Snake

Main Orthodox Cathedral of the Russian Armed Forces

5 comments in this topic

Members
5,165 posts
60 battles

I honestly didn't know such a spectacular cathedral actually exist until now. Not even in my memory of my trip in Russia 2 years ago, as I've only been to Kazan Cathedral & a memorial monument at Murmansk - didn't went to St. Nicholas Naval Cathedral, however. It is until when I came across with this video recently:

That consecration ceremony with Patriarch Kirill took place in more than a week before the postponed Victory Day 2020 yesterday - June 24. Then I looked into wikipedia, it appears to be in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the Victory Day after the bloody Great Patriotic War, which began with Operation Barbarossa in 22 June 1941 when the Nazi Germany double-crossed & invaded the Soviet Union, with extreme prejudice. At the same time in the present, that cathedral was officially opened during the Day of Remembrance & Sorrow - honoring the memories of victims & fallen soldiers died defending the motherland on both air, land & sea.

The USSR, despite being communistic in core, loosened its choking grip on religions & allowed all defenders to embrace their respective faiths & attained a much needed spiritual morale to keep them going to drove the Axis forces back to the defensive & out from the devastated motherland. It was the faith in God that kept a country alive from falling into total abyss, even helped a nation risen above from the ashes after decades of profane infamy of communism since the 90s.

God blessed those who endured the sufferings in many shapes & forms, be it the atrocity of communism or the malice of fascism. Heaven helped them overcome the trying times in their lives...

Edited by Xero_Snake
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles

Nice I helped paint the Cathedral in Sitka Alaska, they are pretty ornate inside.

image.png.0024a6a7659048b2b039fbb7efe7109b.png

image.png.d45fdc32ed24b40b7a5889a7c58f22d4.png

image.thumb.png.dc1422d6c02a75252e93d4aedfcbfbc5.png

image.thumb.png.2a9e3ba96569765d401f3127a4e16a7c.png

Nothing like that one though.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

Members
5,165 posts
60 battles
26 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Nice I helped paint the Cathedral in Sitka Alaska, they are pretty ornate inside.

image.png.0024a6a7659048b2b039fbb7efe7109b.png

image.png.d45fdc32ed24b40b7a5889a7c58f22d4.png

image.thumb.png.dc1422d6c02a75252e93d4aedfcbfbc5.png

image.thumb.png.2a9e3ba96569765d401f3127a4e16a7c.png

Nothing like that one though.

A Russian Orthodox Christian Cathedral at Alaska? What's the name?

You helped repainting it, too? That's great!

Indeed, ornate arts are quite a thing in many Orthodox chapels, churches & cathedrals. Other Christianity churches have their own artistic approaches on artisanships in both interior & exterior, and they're unique in its own right. But Orthodox artisanship has a special place for my liking.

[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles
47 minutes ago, Xero_Snake said:

A Russian Orthodox Christian Cathedral at Alaska? What's the name?

You helped repainting it, too? That's great!

Indeed, ornate arts are quite a thing in many Orthodox chapels, churches & cathedrals. Other Christianity churches have their own artistic approaches on artisanships in both interior & exterior, and they're unique in its own right. But Orthodox artisanship has a special place for my liking.

It's Saint Michael's.

https://stmichaelcathedral.org/

Alaska Yes, but it's in Sitka which is an Island.

image.png.a954dd776dc4a4eea8e24952903026db.png

image.png.773d348a653ec1e92a7118c3e371a340.png

I was roofing a friend in Maui's house and hooked up with her painter who needed some one to help him. We repelled from the spires to paint a lot of it. I you ever take an Alaska cruise they will stop in Sitka if it isn't raining. The guy I was working for was a bit of a conspiracy theory nut and swore that the government was controlling the weather, because when ever a cruise ship was there it stopped raining. I tried to tell him that Cruise Ships get weather forecasts and go where the weather is nice, but he wouldn't have any of that.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[WOLFG]
Members
12,573 posts
11,676 battles

I have been to a couple in Moscow (including St. Basil's).

Whatever else can be said, Russians know how to build a church.